Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cutting out coffee or diet coke

Options

Replies

• franknitty69
    franknitty69 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I can't cut out coffee. not happening. soda, I can out completely but I choose not to. I'll have a ginger ale or cherry coke zero here and there.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Its been lost in pages and pages since - but poster upthread did have a point about large amounts of soda being linked to osteoporosis.

This is not an artificial sweetener issue - applies equally to diet and non diet sodas.

Something people with or at risk of osteoporosis would be wise to consider and limit their intake accordingly.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    My advice is to give up diet coke as it is unhealthy even if it is 0 calories. And keep coffee but with a change: learn to like black coffee (nothing added). If you slowly over time cut it down and make good quality coffee (not folgers) you can learn to love the taste of black coffee! I limit my diet pops a lot, on occasion I may have one but that is where it stops at one. I dont keep any in the house and if I do go get one its just one serving not a case or 2 liter.

If your goal is weight loss limit your liquid calories which also includes juice! Most Juice is just pop without the fizz. If you want orange juice, eat an orange is what I always say.

Hope this helps, and dont forget its not off limits forever, just limit yourself. Maybe if you a great week Mon-Friday and on saturday you want a mochachochalala coffee drink, get one but have limits and make it a rare treat.

And why is Diet Coke unhealthy?

People on MFP who understand science and practice moderation won't believe that anything they enjoy is unhealthy because most things aren't when context and dosage are taken into consideration .

FIFY

But "why are you demonizing something I like" takes neither context nor disagree into consideration. It's a knee-jerk reaction.

??

Poster said "diet soda is unhealthy."

Another poster asked that poster to explain why it is unhealthy.

No one said anything about "demonization." Instead, poster who made a claim was asked to explain the basis for that claim.

I think that's a reasonable question, whether or not you like the thing at issue. Indeed, if someone said the same thing about cold cereal (which I dislike to the point where I find it bizarre that others voluntarily eat it) or Wonder bread (which is IMO disgusting), I might ask the question, because asserting that someone should "give up X because it is unhealthy" really should provide something credible in support of that claim, and the poster did not.

Wonder bread is FACT disgusting
  • czmakinson
    czmakinson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm not a scientist and I'm not as well-educated about foods as I'd like to be. But, I just compare two options and ask myself "which one will be better for my body?". 9 times out of 10 water is going to be the better option. I also ask "Which one do I NEED?" I will always need water. I will never need soda. Now, I do very occasionally (like once every three months) drink soda when I go out if I want that's what I want. I'm cheap though so I'd rather just have the free water :):):) I drink my coffee with some almond milk and a little bit of sugar. But, coffee is my personal treat and it's something I want to enjoy and I look forward to my morning coffee. I think it's important to see what works best for you. If you can meet your goals drinking soda then go for it.
  • dea131313
    dea131313 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I gave up coffee and diet drinks: My choice, with the diet drinks it was because of the sweet taste of sugar even though it was sugar free, it would then make me crave other sugar foods, so I just stopped and it has worked after a weaning off period... Coffee because I am on Prednisone tablets for a auto immune disease and they say it's better no caffeine, or alcohol. Tough but I want to get my inflammation under control and get off these horrid tablets, been near 2 years now.... Prednisone has already given me Osteoporosis..
    My eating and life had to really change over the last two years, but there is a light at the end, PMR is not terminal, it can last from 2 to 8 years.... And I am tapering very slow off them now.

Cheers
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Its been lost in pages and pages since - but poster upthread did have a point about large amounts of soda being linked to osteoporosis.

This is not an artificial sweetener issue - applies equally to diet and non diet sodas.

Something people with or at risk of osteoporosis would be wise to consider and limit their intake accordingly.

So as is often the case, it comes down to context and dosage.

If you drink abnormally huge amounts of carbonated beverages, it would be wise to moderate your intake to a sane level. If you drink a sane, reasonable level of them, there's little or nothing to worry about. This applies to many foods/beverages in our diet.

The same can be said for water - guzzling a gallon of water in a short period of time can make you seriously ill or even kill you (hyponatremia). But a gallon of water spread out over a couple days is harmless - and even beneficial.

I agree - of course it comes down to dosage and context.

that's why my post said "consider and limit their intake accordingly"

not "never drink one at all"

But people with or at risk of osteoporosis should probably limit their intake more than the general population should.