Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    LoisGlad you got that pound off! <3 BIG WOOT <3
    Your book about the origins of saying sounds so interesting and fun - is it quite old? What's the name? And I had to look up your reference to the Bonfires and found this poem - quite fun!:
    - Don't you Remember,
    The Fifth of November,
    'Twas Gunpowder Treason Day,
    I let off my gun,
    And made'em all run.
    And Stole all their Bonfire away

SonjaBI'll scroll back thru the pages to the first of November and copy the November challenge and re-post it after this post for you and all the other folks who're new.

Kah Good thought about the ice cream. I try to buy the store brand which comes in individual cups of 3 oz. in sets of 10, at 50 call per cup, and quite cheap. But sometimes I splurge on a half gallon when its on sale. I need to limit myself to 1 or 2 cups of the 3 oz to a few days a week

Tom Thanks for the reminder -Robin curtsies with a flourish and speaks in a falsetto "Here - ye, Here - ye, I Now Pronouce this Day World Teacher Week in this Discussion Thread - Honorings Teachers, not only for Everything The are Normally Lauded For, but Additionally Now for Serving as Protectors and Defenders of our Youth!
    We Thanks You! thunderous applause. All teachers in this thread are raised up on the shoulders of the other thread members and are carried in a massive parade across all the oceams of the world over to Lois' bonfire and tossed in! (sorry) >:)
    (Spoiler - bonfire hadn't been lit yet >:))

soosun the blue highlite for names was done by putting an @ in front of the name wihtout a space between the two. But as Kah pointed out, they Powers That Be seem to have discontinued it. However, now they are using the blue highlighter in the "Quote" function. Very puzzling...

GrandmaKaye that is so sad to hear your foster-grandson is struggling with depresson. I'm sure his past has many, many painful memories for him. TIH's advice was very helpful. I am firmly behind counseling service for problems like this. I also had issues when I suffered some bad events in my youth that caused me to hide behind humor but I was depressed behind that mask. With counselling and medication, I am ok, but this boy, if the events were serious, may live with those memories the rest of his life. He might medication the rest of his life. It depends on the severity. I had a friend who, at a very young age - he was a toddler when it began, saw his mother often beaten by her spouse. When he was still quite young, he took the beatings instead of watching his mother get beaten. He suffered this abuse for many years before he was taken from home. But he got help, treatment, and finally found success, happiness, and a wife and children a good life.

ddhgw Welcome ! I have to ask, are you the one on the top in the photo? Who's that on the bottom? Hey, I laughed about your dis-state re: vegetables! I was the same way til my mid-50's about 8 years ago. I agree, there should be more that veggies set out for those events. A person like us is very disappointed! I started to like some veggies when I hesitantly tried some broccoli that was way cooked,, limp, and was only the very tops, none of the thick stems, and covered with melted butter. I loved that - ummm - very good. Don't push yourself, don't worry yourself, it might happen - or it might not! Others her might know of very mild veggies to suggest. I've only opened myself up to a very small list of veggies so far. Wishing you luck. You are doing great!

JTConst I hope you wish comes true and you see your DD at your family dinner, if not then well, very soon - and the kittens looking to nurse on your big dog? Thanks for that image! LOL

Teresa the husband - they always gotta say something!

MountMary Thanks for the roasting tip. That's a hot oven1 400 degrees for asparagas? How many minutes would that be?

Laurie I send my wish your way - hope together, your's comes true.

AFM My training for today included taking small bites - . I had 3 oz of excellent Angus filet sliced super thin and into small bits, small amount of twice baked potato and used longer time to eat. Also the prep time involved made me eat much later - that is great. side effect of grilling at home.

November ALL IN CHALLENGE GOALS
    Days Under Calories: 1/5
    Exercise Goals:
    Swim: 3 days week will start when last cut is healed:
    anticipate 5 days from now: 11/9/14
    Bed Exercises (3) do 6 days week 3/7

Other Goals:
    Keep tidying house 5/5
    Pay Escrow - not done
    Contest Avast Internet Security Bill with Visa - not done
    Check on best Electronics Service suite - not done
    Deposit check - not done
    Set up oil change - not done
    Call Dr.Office for Refill Thurs.AM
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys-
    No time for personals tonight, but I wanted to just pop in to update. Still doing good with food--saw 184 on the scale this morning. It's been a long time since I've seen that number, so very motivating for me.

Tomorrow will be a challenge b/c of P/T conferences--dinner is provided at school by our Boosters. I think it's from a local Italian place--usually there's salad and some sort of chicken dish (parmagiana or maybe piccata), so I can take the chicken and leave the pasta behind. There are also usually Italian beefs--again, I can forego the bread to minimize damage. We will also go out for a couple of drinks, but I've already pre-logged my Captain and diets--no high calorie fru-fru drinks for me! With a very light breakfast and lunch, I will still make my calorie goal.

No workout or walk as I was in power grading mode. Still didn't get enough done, but I can only do so much.

Wed. Wish:
    I second barbara's wish for a "like" button. :smile:

November All-In:
    Under calorie goal: 5/5 days (goal is 27/30 days)
    Workout: 1/3 (goal is as much as possible)
    8k on Thanksgiving Day

Grading Goals:
    1. 6/66 AP journals
    2. 18/18 Analysis activities DONE
    3. x/60 Thoreau essays
    4. 20/60 M1948 character journals

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE (barely)
    Mon--walk gunner ? meeting, but not sure how late NOT DONE
    Tues--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Thurs--rest day P/T conferences
    Fri--walk gunner
    Sat--walk gunner + gym
  • RobinsEgg
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Novembers's Challenge is posted on lPages 604 and Page 602. Please note these locations and direct newcomers to them.

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

NOVEMBER 2014 MONTHLY CHALLENGE "ALL IN" !

This month the First Challenge is to put Your focus on Keeping your calories under your daily limits every day for 30 days. (you are allowed a 100 calorie leeway in this challenge.) Also, you're allowed some days off - if you want. Please keep a running total of days under your calories in your posts.

The Second Goal is "ALL IN" - in whatever capacity you can do. Put all your effort in this month. On your exercise- give it your all, in controlling your weaknesses, give it your all, whatever you work on, give it YOUR ALL!

And be sure to tell us what you're giving your efforts to in your posts! Thanks!

Remember to find this Monthly Challenge by the HEARTS at the top and bottom of the post.

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Missed posting yesterday. A busy day out and MFP was down for maintenance the one time I was able to check it. I was good on election day with calories and all-in challenge for checkmarks on my attendance sheet, but yesterday I was in a tailspin on calories, my first over limit of the month.

Thus the results as of Nov 5 are calories at or under goal 4/5
    Checkmarks on my attendance sheet of small achievements 23/30

Thursday Truth - I guess eating disorders really are like any other substance abuse illness or habit, or whatever you want to call. I innocently put a skinny organic multigrain baguette weighing 15 oz (425 g) and a half pound of hard salami into my grocery cart on Tuesday. Bet you can guess what was gone by Wednesday evening ... yep, a baguette and half pound of salami. What set it off? Bringng it into the house ... no, I've had it in the house before without this result. Too stringent of a meal plan? A slight feeling of sadness over something? A new low weight on the scale? A bad habit of eating the most conveniently available? Maybe, except why is that low fat sliced Turkey still in it's unopened wrapper? Questions, questions, questions I cannot answer. All I can do is <3 myself with all my warts and lumps and bumps and :D at the new day knowing that it has all the potential in the world to be a better one than yesterday.

Niki
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    @Robin and everyone; I actually own Andrea Chesman's book "The Roasted Vegetable" and it is a good one.
    Asparagus: @450º for 15 minutes
    Green Beans: @500º for 15 minutes
    Cabbage Wedges: @425º for 20 to 30 minutes
    Carrots: @ 425º for 20-30 minutes
    Mushrooms @ 450º for 20-30 minutes
    New potatoes @ 425º fir 25-40 minutes depending on size
    Sweet Potato wedges @ 500º for 15-20 Minutes

The temps vary and she has a variety of herbs and spices etc that she sometimes adds. It is a book worth checking out of the library if they have it.
    Other vegetable cook book authors are Susie Middleton and Mark Bittman.
    I hope this helps.
    Barbara
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    PS I did not mention all the veggies are filmed with a little olive oil....I like to toss them in a bowl with it as it seems to use less that way and the rimmed sheet pan has been sprayed with Pam. Sorry I forgot.
    Barbara
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Well, it's been complicated. Though my weight has stayed more or less the same so that's ok. No time for personals; I'll try to do better tomorrow.

Hope you're all having a wonderful week!

-- Alison
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Saxophone Day
    Saxophone Day is celebrated on November 6th of each year in remembrance of Adophe Sax, the inventor of the saxophone. Sax was born on November 6, 1814 in Dinant in Wallonia, Belgium.
    Though Sax invented many instuments, the saxophone is what he is most well known for. The saxophone was patented in 1846 when Sax had designed an exhibited a full range of saxophones (from soprano to bass). These instruments made his reputation and secured him a job teaching at the Paris Conservatoire.
    Saxophone Day is a day to remember Sax and his invention. If you play the saxophone, make sure you play on November 6th in remembrance of Adophe Sax.

“It’s not that some people have willpower and some don’t. It’s that some people are ready to change and others are not.” ~James Gordon

Tom
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @MountMary~I love roasted veggies too, they taste is completely different. Such a different texture too than steamed veggies--my favorite is asparagus with a little olive oil, sea salt and garlic powder.

@Karen~Yay, for a new low on the scale! Great job pre-logging and pre-planning for the P/T conferences tonight--I hope they go well.

@Niki~I hate it when stuff like that just jumps into my cart—your salami brings me back to the salami sandwiches my mom made when I was a kid. YUM! The clue is to allow room in our plans for these indulgences—have it, but in moderation. You have to make this work for you and allow yourself the things you enjoy; I think depriving ourselves of things we enjoy is one thing that causes us to lose focus.

@Kaye~I’m so sorry to hear of your foster-grandson’s struggle with depression. Depression is such a scary thing and affects people differently. It sound like your daughter is on top of it—I hope he accepts the help he’s been given and is able turn things around.

AFM~My first Pilates class was last night—so much harder than I thought it would be. That reformer does so many different things. Pilates really uses your core, if my core doesn’t tighten from this there is no hope. LOL My hamstrings are actually sore from some of the exercises I had to do.

In honor of my birthday, I'm working out with my trainer tonight. LOL My boss has already spoiled me with coffee beans, k-cups and a gift card from Starbucks--he certainly knows the way to my heart. :wink: The scale also showed a 2# loss today, I got on there twice as I didn't believe it :blush:--just 2# away from my ticker weight, if its actually right. :wink:

November "ALL-IN"
    At or under calories: 4/30

Exercise Goals 11/2-11/8:

Sunday~Trainer DONE!
    Monday~Rest Day (Chiro) DONE!
    Tuesday~Trainer DONE!
    Wednesday~Pilates DONE!
    Thursday~Trainer
    Friday~Rest Day (Chiro)
    Saturday~Cardio
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thursday Truth: No big secret, but I am so looking forward to this weekend without my husband and kids. It has been over 2.5 years since I was in my house alone for any type of extended period of time. I used to get it quite often as grandparents/aunts/uncles were 30-60 minutes away and the kids would go visit for a weekend.

@kah68…(going to see if that works versus @Kelley) Glad you are getting some rain. We wouldn’t mind some before winter gets here but you definitely need it. I drank my water earlier yesterday and did NOT have to get up; therefore it’s the water and not my age – HEHEE! I’ve heard pilates is tough. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

@Marsha…ugh just saw a political ad for Mitt Romney. I personally think they should put some time limits (as well as money limits). Nobody really cares this far away anyway. For local elections, I think they should get 3-4 months to campaign. For national, I think 6-8 months would do. All they do is repeat themselves for 2 years and then can’t truly deliver anyway because our government is so worried about Republicans vs. Democrats that nothing truly gets done anyway. I know a bit of a rant and they do get some things done, but…

@ddjdw…I’m not a big fan of veggies either (like the standards - carrots, corn, beans), but have started to like asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted in the oven or done on the grill. I won’t eat broccoli raw, but love it steamed. I think its just a commitment to try each veggie prepared differently and then you can find a way you can “stand.” Eventually, your taste buds adjust (or so I think). I did hear that a person has to eat something 12-15 times before the taste is evolved.

@Laurie…I think they do because the volume of people and crime rate is so low here in ND than in other places. In fact, this is the first year that they have even locked the middle school doors here. We have 40 polling places for approximately 68,000 people. We average about 55% that actually vote so it is less than 1000 people at each polling place. They also placed more men and younger people at the schools to monitor – they had people standing at the entrances to the hallways to keep anyone from going those directions.

@Karen…I am planning on drinking this Saturday. While I don’t like hard liquor with diet soda, I will be sticking to lite beer instead of the high calorie fruity drinks I love.  Congrats on 184!!

@Tom…I will have to let Jacob know about Saxophone day.

AFM…I have today off to do some deep cleaning and resting. Michael got the kids off to school for me and then we got to spend some quality time together. Fell back asleep and slept until I woke up naturally. Now I have showered, dressed, checking in here and then I’m going to put my shoes on and hit the floor running. My goal is to get all but the bedrooms done today with a deep cleaning. Bedrooms will be conquered on Friday when the kids are home from school. Not a single activity (other than the gym with my sister) is planned for the day. I caught up on most of my TiVo shows so I won’t be tempted to take a break and then have it turn into a full day watching TV. Alright I’m off!!!

Fitness Goals.
    • Friday: Trick-or-Treating with Emma and then on my feet for most of the evening getting those cakes done. - DONE
    • Saturday: Lift - DONE
    • Sunday: Rest - DONE
    • Monday: Jenna’s Workout DONE
    • Tuesday: Vote and Lift DONE
    • Wednesday: Jenna’s Workout NOT DONE
    • Thursday: Lift
    • Friday: Rest (SINCE WEDNESDAY ENDED UP BEING A REST DAY, THIS MIGHT GET CHANGED)

Household goals.
    • Get through 5 packed boxes. 1 DOWN 4 TO GO
    • Finish hanging pictures/plaques etc. DONE
    • Go through my closet and put away summer clothes and donate items.
    • Organize bathroom closet.-DONE
    • Organize baking/decorating supplies. - DONE
    • Schedule a carpet cleaning.-DONE
    • Paint Emma's dresser.

ALL IN CHALLENGE
    Calories -- goal 27/30
    -- current 4/5

Workout -- goal 4 per week
    -- currently 3 this week

Water -- goal 25/30
    -- current 3/5

• grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your kind words about foster grandson. The facility he is in has an excellent reputation, and he seems open to help. I'm sure it will be good in the end. If he can learn some coping skills and a more realistic view of life, it will really help him. He has had a pretty rough life, full of stress, abuse, and disappointment.
    This morning I walked 2 miles in 30 min, after DH and I walked 2.5 miles with Anya.
    Kelley, happy birthday. I hope you have a fun day. It's my sister's birthday, too.
    Thanks to all of you for sharing your insights and struggles. It really helps.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thursday Truth - I am very competitive. I want to win this weight loss challenge at the gym.
    Check in - Food 5/5, Fitness 5/5
    Roasted vegetables are life savers for me. Such a huge amount for so few calories. I use an oil sprayer I found at the grocery store. It sprays one teaspoon each time. My favorite is roasted beets. I have made the cauliflower "crust" for pizza and it turned out great.
    No time for personals - Back to work for me.
    Lori
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
  • bapcarrier
    bapcarrier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Oops, entered my dinner menu right after lunch, checking to make sure calories were in line. Just went to make it and I'm missing two of the main ingredients...so on to a completely different dinner menu. Need to go back and delete and start the posting over. Oh well! :)
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    @Kelly Happy Birthday!! Best wishes for a many great years ahead. Congrats on your weight loss.

Roasted Veggies- I will need to try them. I usually like them steamed or raw but roasted sounds really good.

@tlh- Have a great weekend alone, enjoy the peace and quiet.

@NK- Like Kah said, you need to make room in your calorie plan for those foods that you love. When you eat them limit the amount you eat and savor every bite.

I finished my first quarter grades today so I am caught up until tomorrow, when the students get their next quiz.

Today, became a rest day so I can start to prepare for my first swim meet on Sunday. That's right, I am competing in my very first swim meet. I will be swimming the 200yd back, 100 yd back and 50 yd breast. The coach provided me with times so I will see how I do. The sad part is that I will swim about 10 minutes total for the swim meet but it should be fun to see how I do.

Tomorrow, I go back to climbing after a 2 week absence and yes, I have missed it. Saturday swim practice, Sunday swim meet. Monday-trainer workout.

Truth- I have been indulging in to many sweets but that was due to TOM. Hope those craving will go away or at least become controllable again. It also helps that the cake is gone, cookies almost gone and the candy is not my favorite so won't eat as much of it. Weight is starting to creep down again so that is good news.

• Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Under in calories yesterday and today, and under fat, but just barely. So far 6/6

Thursday Truth- I said I wasn't going to make anything special or different just because we have a guest, but I can't seem to help myself. It is my own doing. He is a perfect guess who will happily eat whatever I serve. I won't go so far as to say I'm sabotaging myself, since I have remained under, but I'm flirting awfully close.

Bob's birthday is Saturday. He doesn't think he can eat cake without teeth (does one really need teeth to eat cake?) but he would like ice cream. I'm hopeful that I can remain within the 100 calorie over limit since there won't be a whole birthday cake to finish off, but I'm going to try not to get too upset if I am a little over. I have another birthday coming up a week from Saturday (pizza!!!!), and staying under then will be a real challenge. Maybe fruit for breakfast and a salad for lunch? Or maybe I should actually eat during the day and be less hungry at the pizza party? I know I could declare two birthdays and Thanksgiving "off days", but it feels like giving myself permission is dangerously close to my usual making excuses. I know if my mom were alive, she would tell me to enjoy the day out and go back to watching the next day. The problem is, my mom was my size most of her life, too. I loved her, and she was wise about many things, but on this I'm a little shaky.

Well, that's enough truths for a couple of weeks! :D I hope you all are well.

@kah68 I'll use my Wednesday Wish belatedly to wish you a Happy Birthday!
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    NK-Niki Great Thrusday Truth - boy don't we all have a lot to look inward at. Inward discoveries are such a great voyage and takes so much time- I'm still doing a lot of the same thinking - looking at why - for me its so nice to be not desireable, to have that wall of fat between me and attraction.

Barb-Mountmary Thanks for the book name and the time for asparagas - Im hitting the store tomorrow and will treat myself to some. Yummy...

BohoCoast No fines against you. Live life as it happens we'll just see you with delight when we can.

KAH - HAPPY BIRTHDAY - Core, K-cups, coffee, weight loss Party! What a day for you! <3<3 WHOOT! <3<3

Kaye glad to hear your grandson is open to help thats great news! Onward and downward!

bapCarrier still getting used to this place, huh? :'( well, us oldies just had this change at the beginning of november, so its hard on us too, so we'll ALL In on this with you,,,,,,don't despair,just keep on.......

November ALL IN CHALLENGE GOALS
    Days Under Calories: 2/6
    Exercise Goals:
    Swim: 3 days week will start when last cut is healed:
    anticipate 5 days from now: 11/9/14
    Bed Exercises (3) do 6 days week 4/7

Other Goals:
    Keep tidying house 6/6
    Pay Escrow - not done
    Contest Avast Internet Security Bill with Visa - not done
    Check on best Electronics Service suite - not done
    Deposit check - not done
    Set up oil change - not done
    Call Dr.Office for Refill Thurs.AM -done
  • soosun
    soosun Posts: 128
    Options
    So when you want to reply to a post you enter the @ sign in your post and then go back up to whereever the person's name is and type that too. if you are doing two steps why even do the @? I am not making the connection. If I click in front of the name nothing happens at all. Am I making this more difficult than necessary? I am thinking that if you click on the name it will appear in the reply to the post. Not that?
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I think the wrap I logged in as half was the entire thing no beuno
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Just want to add: I love roast veggies! <3 Sweet bell peppers, onions, garlic cloves, zucchini, summer squash, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, grape tomatoes, carrots, butternut squash, new potatoes, mushrooms, et cetera. Whatever I can find in the crisper. And when I have left overs, even though they don't look too appetizing, they're great on toasted baguette slices with a teeny bit of cheese--parmesan, goat or feta--and run under the broiler.

Kelley: I thought I saw a brief solar flare coming from the southeast. :# Happy Birthday! (I'm waaaay older than you, and when my birthday comes, prepare to be blinded!) Congrats on the loss, too.

I'm so tired, I can't remember who said what on the previous pages--but I did read them. Sorry. Keep up the progress everyone. You're all amazing!

Hubby's PIC was cleared. Yay! Skin grafts appear to be taking. Yay! Just one more week of infusions.

November All-In Challenge Up-date:
    5/30 days under 1350 calories (1/30 miscalculated by 200 cals :s )
    6/30 days cardio, 2/30 days weight training, 6/30 days 10,000 steps (I have to run around the kitchen table a few more times before it becomes so. You should see the cat's face/eyes when I do that!)

G'Night all.

GrammyWhammy>Marsha