The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    michable wrote: »
    Nature out in force this morning. A cyclist stopped me to warn about a snake on the path (I didn't see it when I went through, but I was looking out for it), and a mob of kangaroos behind the golf club.

THAT is not something ever said in the states lol
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I just love this group!

1/1...3.68
    2/1...5.20 walk
    3/1...5.70
    4/1...0.5 stress test
    5/1...2.17.

Pace splits 9.52, 10.23, avg HR 165, Max 185

Much better run. I talked myself in to a fancy springy "walk" at a 10+ pace.

16.75/100+ Miles

Upcoming races:

02/06/16 Hot Chocolate 15K Dallas
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    Run the year 2016 14.58 /2016
  • SamColl72
    SamColl72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Another 5 miles tonight, thats 8 miles over two runs so far this month. So another 72 miles to go
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Nature out in force this morning. A cyclist stopped me to warn about a snake on the path (I didn't see it when I went through, but I was looking out for it), and a mob of kangaroos behind the golf club.
    Virkati wrote: »
    THAT is not something ever said in the states lol

http://www.hark.com/clips/jlsnqcffls-that-kangaroo-stole-my-ball

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YGQjMKNQE#t=262
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Got to make up a ticker.

6 more km today. It was a pretty tough and slow run. My legs felt like lead. I feel like I ran a half marathon yesterday, not 5k.
    I ran in my regular shoes and did lots of stretching after.

exercise.png

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @MorningGhost14 - What type of coat/jacket is that? I need more cold weather gear and am looking for recommendations.

I got that jacket right before Christmas... I was googling "best winter running jackets for 2015".... it is a Sugoi Firewall 180, and I love it. It's lightweight, very warm, water repellent and best of all, it is windproof, but breathable. No... wait... the best part is that it has thumb-loops. I love thumb-loops. It wasn't that expensive... I think it was around $125.00... I got mine on Amazon....

Noted.
    Now I'm kicking myself. Sugoi had a kick *kitten* Black Friday sale. I never shop Black Friday, even on line. I saw the ad on my Facebook the night before and opened the link. I just happened to check the morning before I went to work. Got winter pants and winter tights for less than $25 each. Lots of jackets on sale but I didn't go for it. Ugh.

I have a Lululemon down filled jacket that I bought on sale a couple of years ago. It is super warm but isn't great for windy conditions.
  • healthierhappierpaige95
    Options
    1/1/16-3.0miles
    1/2/16-4.33miles
    1/3/16-Rest
    1/4/16-3.0miles
    1/5/16-4.27miles
    Total-14.6miles

exercise.png

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Jan 01      6.5      6.5
    Jan 02      5.1     11.6
    Jan 03      5.6     17.2
    Jan 05      3.3T    20.5

exercise.png
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wanted to share this with you.. This made me cry and sent shivers up my spine.. This is a little boy with Cerebral Palsy, running 100 metres with his classmates... I was cheering for him out loud, watching this from my computer! What a champion!! And his smile says it all!! So beautiful!!

https://www.facebook.com/7newssc/videos/1006524272738340/?fref=nf
  • rickhuyck
    rickhuyck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    January 2016
    02/1 – 13.02 – 8’28 pace
    04/1 – 05.06 – 8’40 pace – pushing pram
    06/1 – 05.01 – 7’24 pace – speed
    TOT: 23.09 km

First (intentional) interval run :smiley:

Cut 6:22 mins off my usual 5k run time!! I am impressed! Took the first 3k at a comfortable, easy pace (my legs always take 2-3km to warm up! Grr) Then ran 500 mtrs hard, 500 mtrs slow.. Did this 2 more times.

Really surprised to see that my 5th km was run at a 6’19 pace! Stoked!!!!

My question is this.. Do you think a run like this will beneficial? I feel like it might not be enough for me (would ideally like to work on getting a little faster) just doing the 5k as the first few km are always hard while my legs and feet are clumsy and waking up… Should I maybe run a few km first, then do 5k of intervals? Hmm…I would love to finish the HM in march in under 3 hrs… 2:30 would be a dream but won’t hold my breath.

exercise.png

January Races
    9/1 – New Year Virtual 10K
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    For all my crazy cold weather running friends!
    iners2lcagh9.jpg
    Yep! Except maybe sub-20 degrees. Then, all bets are off!

• rickhuyck
    rickhuyck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oops
    My Update Need to get going
    exercise.png
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    @Stoshew71 , @WhatMeRunning , @MobyCarp and @Elise4270 are like getting all nerdy technical and mathematical and VO2 maxing and glyco-burning and fartleking....
    And I'm all like...

Oh how I miss the 80's film clips!!!! :)
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    Awesome job on all the miles so far! I was part of the challenge a couple months late last year but I haven't been able to log on MFP as much as I'd like so I haven't joined back in. I'm still at it, though, and in the midst of training for my first HM on March 5th. I also finished my first 12k a few weeks back and had a great experience with that.

Just wanted to stop by and wish everyone well this month - happy running!

ahh Was wondering where you had got to! Good to know you're still at it! :smile:
  • runner_girl83
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Nature out in force this morning. A cyclist stopped me to warn about a snake on the path (I didn't see it when I went through, but I was looking out for it), and a mob of kangaroos behind the golf club

Jumped over a huge snake skin on the path last week when out running.. Nice big python! No kangaroos around my usual route though love seeing them on the side of the road occassionally!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Observed Max is 219. ;-)
    Holy crap! I had my HR that high once, but I think it involved hookers and cocaine...
    Day = made.

I laughed out loud.

Seriously though, is 219 accurate? I know max HR's can vary from person to person, but the generic formula people use to approximate a max HR is 220 - age in years. So since I just turned 44 that would mean mine should be around 176. I know that is low however as I can get near 170 for periods that are too long to really be that near my max HR. I can not fathom ever hitting 219 though. Doesn't mean you're wrong, maybe you do go that high.

Based on my experience, I'm inclined to believe the observed maximum.

I'm 60 years old. The generic formula says my max heart rate should be 220 - 60 = 160.,

WIth over a year of running data, Garmin says my max heart rate should be 185.

I've observed my heart rate up at 191 or 192 on warmups. I'm not sure how to interpret that, as it isn't really the effort that the heart rate sounds like; if I just keep running, the heart rate comes back down to a sustainable level for whatever pace I'm running.

Today's speed work called for intervals at T pace. I dutifully ran at what Jack Daniels says my T pace should be based on some recent races, and my heart rate hung in the low 150s for the T intervals. By the canned formula, that would be over 90% of my max; but it's not a terribly uncomfortable place to be. I can maintain that for an hour or so, just like you're supposed to be able to at threshold.

Bottom line is, I suspect there are a lot of people out there whose real max heart rate and training zones are somewhat different from what the standard formula would produce.
  • MobyCarp
    edited January 2016
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    For all my crazy cold weather running friends!
    iners2lcagh9.jpg

Yeah, but running outside in January without a hat is just nuts. The picture should look more like this:
    8blukdvjwvg2.jpg

That's from January 17, 2015. I had just run 10 miles, starting at -10° F. But it got warmer; by the time I took the selfie, it was all the way up to +5°. We might not get any weather that cold this year, it's supposed to be a mild winter.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 - 10.17 warm up + 7.5 mile race
    1/2 - 12.29 long slow run
    1/3 - 5.16 easy with fast finish
    1/4 - 6.01 easy
    1/5 - 11.09 warmup, speed work, cool down

January to date total - 44.72
    Goal - 51 to 62 miles per week, per training plan
    expected January total - 245 to 251 miles

Today's notes: First club meeting at the indoor track. Today's plan called for 2 miles at MP, 1 x 800 m at T, 1 x 1600 m at T, 1 x 800 m at T, 2 miles at MP. Convention is a 2 mile warm up before and a 2 mile cool down after. The plan didn't say what recovery; coach advised 2 minutes recovery.

It went okay. The last interval at MP was harder than I thought it would be. I was thinking my Garmin was overestimating the distance from cadence (in the absence of GPS signal); then later coach told me that it's just lane 1 that is a true 200 m. If you run it lane 6, it's 7 laps to the mile. I was doing most of my speed work in lanes 2 and 3, to allow the inside lane for runners doing faster work; and I was further out for my warm up. Add in about 0.6 miles on the recovery periods, where I was walking or doing a very slow jog, and the distance is a reasonable estimate.

You know you're in marathon training when warm up, speed work, and cool down add up to more than 10 miles and it doesn't count as a long run.

Upcoming races:
    Jan. 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • runner_girl83
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I'm going to be a little pain in the *kitten* here and ask if you could kindly explain how interval runs help us run faster on our longer runs? And what distance or time/reps should one run at, at their fastest speed?

:smiley: And a HUUUUGGGGEE thank you in advance!!!!