Disadvantages of Keto diet

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you like to eat carbs and enjoy things like ice cream, cake, etc., then keto is a disadvantage.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I can easily make these things keto and they don't trigger a binge & food coma like high-carb "real" cakes and ice cream.

Have you ever had a steak coma... best thing ever!!! I get one every time I go to texas de brazil or korean bbq. So much better than any crappy cake coma (which is mainly fat btw ;))
    Nope, never had a steak coma, because I am much more aware of how my body feels and so I don't overeat steak.

When its an all you can eat, i do.. in fact i dont eat breakfast or dinner. I am getting my moneys worth.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you like to eat carbs and enjoy things like ice cream, cake, etc., then keto is a disadvantage.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I can easily make these things keto and they don't trigger a binge & food coma like high-carb "real" cakes and ice cream.

Have you ever had a steak coma... best thing ever!!! I get one every time I go to texas de brazil or korean bbq. So much better than any crappy cake coma (which is mainly fat btw ;))
    Nope, never had a steak coma, because I am much more aware of how my body feels and so I don't overeat steak.

When its an all you can eat, i do.. in fact i dont eat breakfast or dinner. I am getting my moneys worth.

Believe me I am no stranger to a buffet. :p It's just not in my goals to achieve maximum limits.

EDIT: Also, a lot of protein can have a blood sugar spike nearly similar to regular carbs. Gluconeogenesis.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    dykask wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    My point has been clearly made. :*

In the meantime I'll keep my low refined sugar approach as it is easy and really working well for me. Before I did this, raging hunger was a major issue that prevented me from making progress.

I am so lost as to your opinion in this thread. You have previously posted that you are anti-keto because you like fruit, especially fruits that are considered high in sugar (fructose). But, you are anti-sugar.

I'm anti added refined sugar. Sugar can't be completely avoided but we don't need to add more or consume it in a form that is rapidly absorbed. So while I will eat fruit I'll avoid fruit juice. The reason is I do believe fructose is probably too high of concentrations in juice and sugars in liquids are absorbed very quickly into the blood.

As people have pointed out, toxicity is often about the dosage. Eat an apple and over the next 90 minutes about 10 grams of fructose hit your liver. Drink a glass of apple juice and over the next few minutes 25 grams of fructose hit your liver. Probably more than a 10x difference in dosage over time.

Whole fruit has fiber and lots of other nutrients that justify the risks caused by fructose. Also some fruits are vital to me because the reduce the impact of sodium, for example a banana a day.

Generally I'm mostly avoiding processed foods that have added sugar. That is actually pretty easy to do in Japan, I think it would take a lot more work in the US.

The ketosis diets are much more restrictive. But I think the restrictions on carbs forces people to avoid adding sugar. So the diet benefits from that. I'm not really anti-ketosis, I just think it is difficult to achieve, hard to maintain and isn't necessary for weight loss.

In my mind I've have about 4 groups of foods for sugar:
    AVOID 100% - sugar in liquids
    Mostly AVOID - processed foods (I make an exception for peanut butter and chocolate in small amounts)
    RARELY - deserts
    OKAY - Foods with fiber and without added sugars.

I may play around with cutting fruit at some point, but currently my hunger is controlled and I'm losing fat so I don't see the need to do that right now.

Just to point out, Alan Aragon suggest many of the diet strategies you employ. He is one of the most unbiased people and doesnt fear monger like the likes of Dr. Lustig. What i do get a laugh about is the lustig is overweight himself. You would think that being in his position, he would be more fit.

It may be that the blog I read is atypical, we all have our issues. As for Dr. Lustig being overweight, he may well be. Dr. Atkins was also overweight, probably to a much higher degree. Being thin doesn't seem to be a requirement for talking about diet. (Just watch some of the interviews with Dr. Atkins if you don't believe that.)

I don't think there are any claims that cutting back on sugar is a magic cure, it just gets rid of a barrier that causing a lot of people issues. It still takes effort to lose weight. In my own case I only had a few spots in may diet that were high sugar. I cut them because of calories not because of sugar. After that my hunger went down which I found confusing at first. Two years ago when I was trying to lose a lot of fat I really suffered from hunger. It is in my search for why I'm not so hungry that I ran across Dr. Lutig's presentations. I really find it hard to believe that people would consider those presentations fear mongering. I guess that just shows the addictive power of sugar. I guess I'm lucky that I don't crave sugar so much.

I'm sorry but the juxtaposition of these two phrases made me smile.

he even debunked himself https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ6LhzCrPpk

That isn't debunking. That is just an attack by someone hoping to fool people. The same kind of attacks can be done to anyone.

If you listen to the long talks he explains that position. While you get fructose from eating fruit, it is at a much lower level spread out more in time and the whole fruits typically come with enough benefits to balance out the negative effects of fructose.

Also what do you say about the video I posted where he claims table sugar is somehow a carb and a fat and that there's no natural food that has carbs and fat? That's objectively a falsehood. The man doesn't know wtf he's talking about.

I have no idea, but that is a hack job video. It wasn't said in the presentations I watched.

In fact the data shows added sugar availability has gone down from a high of 26.4 teaspoons a day to 22 teaspoons a day in 2013. I'm assuming availability is basically consumption because they even show overall calories. http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-availability-(per-capita)-data-system.aspx, which by this data has from 2039 kc in 1979 to 2544 in 2013. There is lots of bouncing around in those figures and the high was in 2607 kc in 2002. These figures are per capita.

There are a lots of problems with claiming this shows sugar isn't a problem.
    1) 22 teaspoons a day of ADDED sugar is still INSANELY high. It is about 4x what W.H.O. recommends.
    2) While there was a decrease in added sugars, there has been a large increase in fats. (444 in 1999 to 589 in 2010.) High sugar and high fat isn't a good combination.
    3) There is no accounting for time lag in the blog. Diet changes take years to be notiable across a large population.

So while the blog is very interesting and thought provoking, I don't see how one could say that proves that added sugar isn't an issue. I still think the reason there can be real positive metobolic changes on a ketosis based diet is the low added sugars. These things can't be judged by weight either, there are healthy fat people and metabolically sick thin people. I've personally know very thin diabetics, however they were also people adverse to exercise.

I wouldn't try to claim that people in ketosis don't experience profound metabolic improvements. However that isn't an ketosis only advantage either as there are many diets and approaches that accomplish that goal. That is why I personally think it is something else like added sugars that's makes the difference. It could be something else too, but there has to be a reason why radically different diet approaches work.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    <snip>

I wouldn't try to claim that people in ketosis don't experience profound metabolic improvements. However that isn't an ketosis only advantage either as there are many diets and approaches that accomplish that goal. That is why I personally think it is something else like added sugars that's makes the difference. It could be something else too, but there has to be a reason why radically different diet approaches work.

I don't agree that there isn't anything different going on with ketosis but I absolutely believe that improved diet quality eating low carb is partly responsible for the good health some people experience and the improved health markers shown in studies. Christopher Gardner even listed diet quality as a potential confounding variable on his latest study.

When you take away these foods:
    3n5SNAp.jpg

You're left with a ton of nutritious foods to choose from and not much else:
    LCHF-mat2-ffffff-butter-lower-1600x501.jpg
    g5YrFtL.jpg
    Cm54WWuVMAACopz.jpg:large

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    My point has been clearly made. :*

In the meantime I'll keep my low refined sugar approach as it is easy and really working well for me. Before I did this, raging hunger was a major issue that prevented me from making progress.

I am so lost as to your opinion in this thread. You have previously posted that you are anti-keto because you like fruit, especially fruits that are considered high in sugar (fructose). But, you are anti-sugar.

I'm anti added refined sugar. Sugar can't be completely avoided but we don't need to add more or consume it in a form that is rapidly absorbed. So while I will eat fruit I'll avoid fruit juice. The reason is I do believe fructose is probably too high of concentrations in juice and sugars in liquids are absorbed very quickly into the blood.

As people have pointed out, toxicity is often about the dosage. Eat an apple and over the next 90 minutes about 10 grams of fructose hit your liver. Drink a glass of apple juice and over the next few minutes 25 grams of fructose hit your liver. Probably more than a 10x difference in dosage over time.

Whole fruit has fiber and lots of other nutrients that justify the risks caused by fructose. Also some fruits are vital to me because the reduce the impact of sodium, for example a banana a day.

Generally I'm mostly avoiding processed foods that have added sugar. That is actually pretty easy to do in Japan, I think it would take a lot more work in the US.

The ketosis diets are much more restrictive. But I think the restrictions on carbs forces people to avoid adding sugar. So the diet benefits from that. I'm not really anti-ketosis, I just think it is difficult to achieve, hard to maintain and isn't necessary for weight loss.

In my mind I've have about 4 groups of foods for sugar:
    AVOID 100% - sugar in liquids
    Mostly AVOID - processed foods (I make an exception for peanut butter and chocolate in small amounts)
    RARELY - deserts
    OKAY - Foods with fiber and without added sugars.

I may play around with cutting fruit at some point, but currently my hunger is controlled and I'm losing fat so I don't see the need to do that right now.

Just to point out, Alan Aragon suggest many of the diet strategies you employ. He is one of the most unbiased people and doesnt fear monger like the likes of Dr. Lustig. What i do get a laugh about is the lustig is overweight himself. You would think that being in his position, he would be more fit.

It may be that the blog I read is atypical, we all have our issues. As for Dr. Lustig being overweight, he may well be. Dr. Atkins was also overweight, probably to a much higher degree. Being thin doesn't seem to be a requirement for talking about diet. (Just watch some of the interviews with Dr. Atkins if you don't believe that.)

I don't think there are any claims that cutting back on sugar is a magic cure, it just gets rid of a barrier that causing a lot of people issues. It still takes effort to lose weight. In my own case I only had a few spots in may diet that were high sugar. I cut them because of calories not because of sugar. After that my hunger went down which I found confusing at first. Two years ago when I was trying to lose a lot of fat I really suffered from hunger. It is in my search for why I'm not so hungry that I ran across Dr. Lutig's presentations. I really find it hard to believe that people would consider those presentations fear mongering. I guess that just shows the addictive power of sugar. I guess I'm lucky that I don't crave sugar so much.

I'm sorry but the juxtaposition of these two phrases made me smile.

he even debunked himself https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ6LhzCrPpk

That isn't debunking. That is just an attack by someone hoping to fool people. The same kind of attacks can be done to anyone.

If you listen to the long talks he explains that position. While you get fructose from eating fruit, it is at a much lower level spread out more in time and the whole fruits typically come with enough benefits to balance out the negative effects of fructose.

Also what do you say about the video I posted where he claims table sugar is somehow a carb and a fat and that there's no natural food that has carbs and fat? That's objectively a falsehood. The man doesn't know wtf he's talking about.

I have no idea, but that is a hack job video. It wasn't said in the presentations I watched.

In fact the data shows added sugar availability has gone down from a high of 26.4 teaspoons a day to 22 teaspoons a day in 2013. I'm assuming availability is basically consumption because they even show overall calories. http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-availability-(per-capita)-data-system.aspx, which by this data has from 2039 kc in 1979 to 2544 in 2013. There is lots of bouncing around in those figures and the high was in 2607 kc in 2002. These figures are per capita.

There are a lots of problems with claiming this shows sugar isn't a problem.
    1) 22 teaspoons a day of ADDED sugar is still INSANELY high. It is about 4x what W.H.O. recommends.

That is why I personally think it is something else like added sugars that's makes the difference. It could be something else too, but there has to be a reason why radically different diet approaches work.
    The who recommends up to 5% of your calories can be from added sugars. So yes, 22 tsp might be 4 times your recommendation, it isn't for everyone.

And yes, there is a reason that different diet approaches work. It's called adherence and energy balance. That doesn't sell books though.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    <snip>

I don't agree that there isn't anything different going on with ketosis but I absolutely believe that improved diet quality eating low carb is partly responsible for the good health some people experience and the improved health markers shown in studies. Christopher Gardner even listed diet quality as a potential confounding variable on his latest study.

3n5SNAp.jpg

g5YrFtL.jpg

Increasing food quality alone can improve health but not as much as weight loss and exercise. But for optimal health, you should do all three.

My issue with your chart is limiting high sugar fruits, rice and things like potatoes. All of those are highly nutrient dense and only need to limited by those with IR or medical issues. Applying that to everyone is meaningless.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    <snip>

3n5SNAp.jpg

g5YrFtL.jpg

Increasing food quality alone can improve health but not as much as weight loss and exercise. But for optimal health, you should do all three.

My issue with your chart is limiting high sugar fruits, rice and things like potatoes. All of those are highly nutrient dense and only need to limited by those with IR or medical issues. Applying that to everyone is meaningless.

For the life of me I can not figure out how every single post I make is somehow supposed to apply to the entire population. If MFP offered signatures I'd be happy to put in a disclaimer to avoid this confusion.
    • Just because I say I don't need to count calories eating a low carb diet does not mean everyone else who doesn't eat a low carb diet needs to count calories.
    • Just because cake and ice cream trigger binges in a poster does not mean anyone was saying carbs trigger binges in everyone. That's absurd.
    • Just because there are studies that show improved health markers eating a low carb diet (even without weight loss) that does not mean everyone experiences improved health eating a low carb diet.
    • Just because some peoples diet quality improves when switching to a low carb diet does not mean that applies to everyone.

A low carb diet limits sugars and starches regardless of whether they're nutrient dense or not. Whether there's a medical need or not. It's the foundation of the diet so OF COURSE it only applies to those who choose to eat a low carb diet.

I dont know where you are going with your post, it was in response to that first spoiler which somehow depicits high nutrious foods as bad.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    <snip>

3n5SNAp.jpg

g5YrFtL.jpg

For the life of me I can not figure out how every single post I make is somehow supposed to apply to the entire population. If MFP offered signatures I'd be happy to put in a disclaimer to avoid this confusion.
    • Just because I say I don't need to count calories eating a low carb diet does not mean everyone else who doesn't eat a low carb diet needs to count calories.
    • Just because cake and ice cream trigger binges in a poster does not mean anyone was saying carbs trigger binges in everyone. That's absurd.
    • Just because there are studies that show improved health markers eating a low carb diet (even without weight loss) that does not mean everyone experiences improved health eating a low carb diet.
    • Just because some peoples diet quality improves when switching to a low carb diet does not mean that applies to everyone.

A low carb diet limits sugars and starches regardless of whether they're nutrient dense or not. Whether there's a medical need or not. It's the foundation of the diet so OF COURSE it only applies to those who choose to eat a low carb diet.

I dont know where you are going with your post, it was in response to that first spoiler which somehow depicits high nutrious foods as bad.

• dykask
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    <snip>

3n5SNAp.jpg

g5YrFtL.jpg

People don't need those specific sources of nutrient dense foods though. Those of us who are low carb choose other nurient dense food because they are lower carb. It is not being applied to everyone is the point here.

Rice hasn't been available to my north eastern European ancestors for more than a couple of hundred years. At most. We made due with other vegetables and meats. Rice is not bad but we don't need it.

Potatoes were thought of as food only fit for livestock until just over a couple hundred years ago. My ancestors did fine without it. Potatoes are not bad but we don't need them.

And we didn't have the high sugar fruits from the tropics. We don't need those either. Berries and some apples was probably the extent of it.

These foods you listed are not needed for good health. At all. There are so many nutritious options, that are low carb, that people on a low carb diet can choose instead. People on a higher carb diet may well choose potatoes, rice and high sugar fruits and pass up lower carb, nutrient dense foods like avocado, nuts, spinach, kale - that's their perogative.

That is the lamest reasons yet for a low carb diet. Many of the foods used in a ketosis diet are unnecessary for a healthy life. There are many different groups all over the world that eat different diets and do fine.

FACT: We don't need large amounts of protein in our diet and can get enough protein from plants.
    FACT: We don't need any animal products in our foods for a healthy life.
    FACT: We don't need to add fats to our foods.

Vegans on the average are probably much more healthy than almost any other group and they consist on a very high starch, low fat diet. This avoiding high carbs because they aren't needed is no different than saying avoid anything from animals because it simply isn't needed. Both are pretty lame reasons.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    <snip>

3n5SNAp.jpg

g5YrFtL.jpg

People don't need those specific sources of nutrient dense foods though. Those of us who are low carb choose other nurient dense food because they are lower carb. It is not being applied to everyone is the point here.

Rice hasn't been available to my north eastern European ancestors for more than a couple of hundred years. At most. We made due with other vegetables and meats. Rice is not bad but we don't need it.

Potatoes were thought of as food only fit for livestock until just over a couple hundred years ago. My ancestors did fine without it. Potatoes are not bad but we don't need them.

And we didn't have the high sugar fruits from the tropics. We don't need those either. Berries and some apples was probably the extent of it.

These foods you listed are not needed for good health. At all. There are so many nutritious options, that are low carb, that people on a low carb diet can choose instead. People on a higher carb diet may well choose potatoes, rice and high sugar fruits and pass up lower carb, nutrient dense foods like avocado, nuts, spinach, kale - that's their perogative.

That is the lamest reasons yet for a low carb diet. Many of the foods used in a ketosis diet are unnecessary for a healthy life. There are many different groups all over the world that eat different diets and do fine.

FACT: We don't need large amounts of protein in our diet and can get enough protein from plants.

Vegans on the average are probably much more healthy than almost any other group and they consist on a very high starch, low fat diet. This avoiding high carbs because they aren't needed is no different than saying avoid anything from animals because it simply isn't needed. Both are pretty lame reasons.

I never said those were reasons for a low carb diet. I said we can easily, and healthfully, choose other nutrient dense foods that are lower in carbs.

I eat a ketogenic diet because I have stubborn insulin resistance that did not respond to a 20% body weight loss, did not improve with regular exercise, and does badly with a higher carb diet. I also use it to treat a few autoimmune disorders and for a feeling of overall improved health. I did not switch to a ketogenic diet so that I would have the opportunity to switch from rice to spinach.

And I never said that people on other diets would not do fine.

Your "FACTS" are relatively true but have nothing to do with a ketogenic diet.

No, we don't need large amounts of protein. I agree. A ketogenic diet is low carb high fat diet. Not high protein. And I do know of vegetarians who follow a ketogenic diet. Vegetarianism and ketogenic diets aren't exclusive of each other.

So we don't need any animal products in our food for a healthy life? I disagree with that. Without supplementation, I doubt many vegans would stay healthy over the long term.

We don't need to add fats to our foods? I like adding fats to my food. Butter on steamed veggies or a steak is wonderful. Whipped cream in coffee is tasty. Melted cheese in a egg, veggie and ground beef casseole is excellent, and eggs cooked in bacon drippings are the best. Why would I not add fat to my foods? I see no problem there.

I still think that rice, potatoes, and high sugar fruit are not needed for good health. At all.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    <snip>

3n5SNAp.jpg

g5YrFtL.jpg

I never said those were reasons for a low carb diet. I said we can easily, and healthfully, choose other nutrient dense foods that are lower in carbs.

I eat a ketogenic diet because I have stubborn insulin resistance that did not respond to a 20% body weight loss, did not improve with regular exercise, and does badly with a higher carb diet. I also use it to treat a few autoimmune disorders and for a feeling of overall improved health. I did not switch to a ketogenic diet so that I would have the opportunity to switch from rice to spinach.

No, we don't need large amounts of protein. I agree. A ketogenic diet is low carb high fat diet. Not high protein. And I do know of vegetarians who follow a ketogenic diet. Vegetarianism and ketogenic diets aren't exclusive of each other.

So we don't need any animal products in our food for a healthy life? I disagree with that. Without supplementation, I doubt many vegans would stay healthy over the long term.

We don't need to add fats to our foods? I like adding fats to my food. Butter on steamed veggies or a steak is wonderful. Whipped cream in coffee is tasty. Melted cheese in a egg, veggie and ground beef casseole is excellent, and eggs cooked in bacon drippings are the best. Why would I not add fat to my foods? I see no problem there.

I still think that rice, potatoes, and high sugar fruit are not needed for good health. At all.

I dont think anyone said you do. There is no specific foods you need. Only a combination to get adequate and complete nutrients.

And that is crazy about your IR. Good you found your solution.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    <snip>

3n5SNAp.jpg

g5YrFtL.jpg

I dont think anyone said you do. There is no specific foods you need. Only a combination to get adequate and complete nutrients.

And that is crazy about your IR. Good you found your solution.

Thank you. :) Keto works but it doesn't fix dawn phenomenon. Darn it. ;)
  • dykask
    edited July 2016
    Options
    <snip>

3n5SNAp.jpg

g5YrFtL.jpg

Most keto diets I've seen and the way people describe eating is very heavy on protein compared to the way most people eat. While that might not be a high protein diet by some standards it is all relative.

Rice, potatoes, other starches and fruits and the like are actually exteremly important for health on a global scale. The reason is that production of animal products is resource intensive and there really isn't enough resources with current technoglies in the world for everyone to have diets heavily based on animal products. The starches provide much needed energy and a good base for additions like fruits. As much as you like adding animal fats to your food, it isn't necessary for a healthy diet. My point is there isn't any single food that is necessary for a healthy diet. So arguments that rice and potatoes aren't necessary for health is really baseless.

Animal products are pretty common all over the world, but the amounts used vary widely. Still I think all the ketosis based diets I've seen use a lot of animal products. Which could be a major disadvantage to some people.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    <snip>

3n5SNAp.jpg

g5YrFtL.jpg

Most keto diets I've seen and the way people describe eating is very heavy on protein compared to the way most people eat. While that might not be a high protein diet by some standards it is all relative.

Rice, potatoes, other starches and fruits and the like are actually exteremly important for health on a global scale. The reason is that production of animal products is resource intensive and there really isn't enough resources with current technoglies in the world for everyone to have diets heavily based on animal products. The starches provide much needed energy and a good base for additions like fruits. As much as you like adding animal fats to your food, it isn't necessary for a healthy diet. My point is there isn't any single food that is necessary for a healthy diet. So arguments that rice and potatoes aren't necessary for health is really baseless.

Animal products are pretty common all over the world, but the amounts used vary widely. Still I think all the ketosis based diets I've seen use a lot of animal products. Which could be a major disadvantage to some people.

Around here, ketogenic diets seem to mostly be high in fat. Most experts in this field, like Phinney and Volek or Attia, suggest the high fat approach. I believe it is much more common than you realize.

Because it is not a protein heavy diet, it is often not meat heavy. I have meat at two meals a day. Usually. Sometimes less and sometimes more. Yesterday I guess I had meat twice - a burger patty at dinner and a pepperoni stick as a mid afternoon snack. I had cheese on my patty; I guess that counts as animal protein too. Most of my fats yesterday came from coconut cream, nuts, and avocado.

Sure I believe animal fats are healthy. No argument there. Do I think everyone needs to eat mainly animal products? No. But I do think including some in your diet is a good idea.

You have some misconceptions about a ketogenic diet. Your arguments are not all based on actual facts and you've misconstrued some of my statements. You seem to have linked eating lots of animal products with a ketogenic diet, and that just isn't always true. For a minority it is. I know of a few true carnivores but it really is not the norm. To be honest, I know of many more vegetarians so the meat and plant eating probably balances out in the end.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic or pre-diabetic, going Keto can have dire consequences, up to and including kidney damage. Happened to a friend of mine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,582 Member
    Options
    Keto is very simple. People make excuses and really are not serious about success. Got to ketogains.com and use there macro calculator. There are a million recipes for low carb lifestyle that are amazing!! The hardest thing about Keto is electrolyte/ sodium balance. You will really dry up.
    Sorry bro, but if one happens to like cake, ice cream and other sugar laden treats for fun, then it's not an "excuse". I've been serious about success in fitness in health for almost all of my adult life and have no issues being able to have these in my diet and still be successful.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,582 Member
    Options
    RicMackie wrote: »
    For me, it was easy to stay below my calories when i was doing low carb it was effortless. I cant say the same now that i'm eating moderate/normal carb, it takes a lot more juggling, editing and adding and taking away this and that in my diary to make everything fit. It's definitely more work now, and my hunger and cravings have returned and weight loss has become a battle once again :(

Sounds like you're saying.... Things were easy. You were doing great eating low-carb. Then you stopped, and things are harder. ;-) Come back......we're waiting! :-)

2 words, Keto breath. My husband said my breath smelled like poo, there was NO kissing and every time we spoke I had to hold my hand over mouth even from 10 feet away, which didnt really help! I was constantly chewing gum and mints which only masked it slightly. I was too scared to talk up close to people when I went out.

I have always been meticulous with oral hygiene, and people who had bad breath were a massive turn off for me! I did low carb for 4 solid months hoping the breath thing went away, but it never did. If i was single and never left the house i would so go back to this way of eating as I loved every thing about it, other than that one stinky problem..
    Lol, yep. When I competed and did keto to cut up, my breath was horrendous.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png