40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    MiamiSeoul wrote: »
    Hi, I am 49. I need to loose about 40-45 pnds. Ugh. I am trying to be fit by fifty!
    I like this fitness pal app..
    Ideas on building metabolism in our age group? or where do I begin? Healthy eating plans out there to follow? Beginners exercise plans? That proves awesome success?

Start slow.
    Meal prep & pre-log (you can see if you need to make adjustments to food and/or for macros).
    Drink 1/2 your weight in water, in ounces each day.
    Moderate activity three tines a week (just to start).
    Be gentle with yourself.

Good luck.

DRR - This is great advice. If you do this, you will have success. I would simply add this thought: Think Long Term. You will see progress, but sometimes not on the "schedule" you envision at the start ; ) As your fitness improves, you will be pleasantly surprised at how energetic you become. Best of luck.
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Cool Kids.
    If you live on the East coast, please stay safe.
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Death by 50' shuttle run.
    then
    50 air squats
    50 push ups
    50 wall balls @ 20#
    50 push ups
    50 air squats
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Didn't get to workout yesterday. rushed home after work to make a batch of spaghetti sauce for my son and then headed out to play my weekly bridge, for which I might add, won the top prize with a score of 2750. :)

Great job to all of you that got your workouts in!

Those on the east coast, please stay in a safe place.
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    40 for the next few months. 260lbs (How did that happen?!) I have been off of exercise for months and months. Just got out of the routine. I started a swimming program, only to break my foot a month in. I'm supposed to be in a cast for at least 2 months, which is almost over, then back to swimming. I have a book with strength training for both upper and lower body in the pool. I need to get my eating cleaned up. I've been having a torrid affair with ice cream for the last few months. Some days I reach my calories, some days I'm way under. But when I reach them, it's not from healthy eating. Hubby brings home fast food. He has NO weight problem. Want to loose 100lbs. Here goes nothin'...
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Was pretty blustery today (20-30mph winds), but I still managed to get a walkabout in (about 3.7 miles). Wanted to see the bay, and decided to walk instead of drive. It's still pretty choppy on the water here, even though we weren't anywhere near the hurricane. That always floors me how far reaching the storm effects are (I had a race last year on the west coast, with Joaquin in the Atlantic, and it was brutal with 25-30mph headwinds).

Have a great weekend everyone! For anyone in GA/SC/NC, stay safe!
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X2 Base + Back & X2 Ab Ripper"=Done!
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    18 km done
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "P90X2 X2 Recovery + Mobility"=Done!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Had a lot of fun yesterday at the Hartford Marathon. Two friends ran sub 3:30 times to qualify for the Boston marathon, two others ran sub 2:00 personal best times in the half marathon, and I got to pace another training partner to her best 5k time, (26:42) earning her a seeded runner spot in her next race on Thanksgiving day. All in all, a great time with a bunch of cool kids.

Today's fun: Moving our daughter's furniture up 3 flights of stairs in the rain. :)

• RehmeldR
    RehmeldR Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    MiamiSeoul wrote: »
    Hi, I am 49. I need to loose about 40-45 pnds. Ugh. I am trying to be fit by fifty!
    I like this fitness pal app..
    Ideas on building metabolism in our age group? or where do I begin? Healthy eating plans out there to follow? Beginners exercise plans? That proves awesome success?

Start slow.
    Meal prep & pre-log (you can see if you need to make adjustments to food and/or for macros).
    Drink 1/2 your weight in water, in ounces each day.
    Moderate activity three tines a week (just to start).
    Be gentle with yourself.

Good luck.

DRR - This is great advice. If you do this, you will have success. I would simply add this thought: Think Long Term. You will see progress, but sometimes not on the "schedule" you envision at the start ; ) As your fitness improves, you will be pleasantly surprised at how energetic you become. Best of luck.

Thanks Djproulx! Yes, I do need to think of long term also!
    My logging for today is done. I have 87 cal left, but the coffee I haven't yet entered, with cream and little sugar, might chew most of that up! LOL
    I'm so inspired by reading about all you 40 plus ladies running!
  • RehmeldR
    Options
    40 for the next few months. 260lbs (How did that happen?!) I have been off of exercise for months and months. Just got out of the routine. I started a swimming program, only to break my foot a month in. I'm supposed to be in a cast for at least 2 months, which is almost over, then back to swimming. I have a book with strength training for both upper and lower body in the pool. I need to get my eating cleaned up. I've been having a torrid affair with ice cream for the last few months. Some days I reach my calories, some days I'm way under. But when I reach them, it's not from healthy eating. Hubby brings home fast food. He has NO weight problem. Want to loose 100lbs. Here goes nothin'...

Hi hilldiggity! Hope the best
    with your success!!
    You sound to be funny, a sense of humor!
    I hear you about goodies your hubby brings home! It seems to be when your trying to loose also! LOL
  • amendelson
    amendelson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well,I guess two years later it's safe to admit I am over 40. 42 here and starting my new life of getting healthy. Single dad of 2 great kids and trying to lose 100+ pounds.
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    AOS Newport yesterday and 58km ride with 787m of vertical today. Storing up calorie room for thanksgiving dinner tonight. :)

Welcome to all the new cool kids
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "P90X2 V Sculpt & X2 Ab Ripper"=Done!
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    tojo_73 wrote: »
    AOS Newport yesterday and 58km ride with 787m of vertical today. Storing up calorie room for thanksgiving dinner tonight. :)

Welcome to all the new cool kids

Haha - good strategy for thanksgiving dinner. I did same on Saturday because we were at ball game yesterday. And we won! Woohoo. My throat still hurts from cheering :)
    Edit - I ate back every single calorie from an 18km run at dinner :p
  • RehmeldR
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this all! I will post my loss Friday..eek. ,I am hoping to be a minus, rather a plus.
    I have been taking care of my husband for the past month, and for a few weeks after. He is currently having Radiation and chemotherapy treatments. Just Two more weeks left! Woot! It is now starting to get to him, tired, nausea, etc. The docs said it get worse before it gets better! Now I see.
    I seriously need to loose weight! Especially for my age, which ya all understand! I need to start taking care of me as well as my husband!
    I admire reading you runners, weight lifting. I so am looking forward to getting back home, joining a gym, eating healthy! Fit by fifty! is my goal! I have by summer 2017 ladies!