April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    It's been a while since I've posted this and we've got a lot of new runners here so I'm posting it again.

Strava Global Heatmap

When I go somewhere new and need to find a running route, or even if I just want to find a new route near my home, I like to use the Strava heatmap tool. This tool collects all of the Strava input and puts it on a map. You can play with the settings but I find the most detail shows up when I select:

Blue
    100%
    Run
    Toggle Labels

Play around with it and see what you like best. You can only zoom in so far.

Once I find a likely route, I'll then look at area with Google Maps. I use both the satellite view and street view to make sure it's a route I'd want to run. Not all routes on the heatmap turn out to be good routes to run.

e8kuwk77dja7.jpg

Thank you for posting this @7lenny7 ! You've helped me in two ways:
    1) this could be useful for routes in Punta Cana over the next week of my vacation
    2) this reminded me that I wanted to pull up and print out the routes I already mapped in Punta Cana in the route builder in Map My Run
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @elise4270 I said I'd never pay that much for ice cream but I do. I get the dixie cups so I don't eat the whole half gallon ha ha

Question - I think in the March thread someone posted a link to half marathons all over, can you repost that? I have some of my friends talked into a vacation destination race. :smile:

I did a Google search and found:

http://www.halfmarathons.net/

http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/List.aspx?Special=halfmarathon

I don't think I saw the original post, but maybe this will "jog" run someone's memory. :p

That's it, duh why couldn't I find it. I see what you did there, jog run LOL

OMG the local Fleet Feet is hiring, Skip already sent me a text asking if she can apply. Good Lordie we will not have any money if she is in THAT store all the time.

Well.... Eventually she'll own everything and will run out of things to buy.... And hey! That's what HER check is for!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom you know the comment about putting the ice cream in a Dixie cups, or maybe buying the little ones, makes​ me think I could have ice cream in moderation....

But I know I'm the one that sits down with the 1/2 gallon.... That's why we get Ben and Jerry's in pints, because if it were a gallon.... I mean, if DH is the least bit slow getting to his pint.... It's mine.

I'd still like to experiment with having ice cream in moderation.... But let's be honest, I just lack restraint with pies and ice cream.

How do y'all do it.. knowing it's in the freezer. Waiting. So cold and creamy... With bits of crunchies in it. Salty crunchies. And caramel.

I best be careful. A person (may or may not be an MD) hooked me up this AM with a course of prednisone. (My shot seems to have already worn off).

Eh, oh disclaimer- don't share ur RX with others even if they have a script of their own. :wink:

Run. Bare. Footed. International run barefoot day is in May. (I say that so the last thing u read isn't ice cream) think I may try to walk/run barefoot today. I hate shoes anyhow.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 sometimes I'm good if I have a cup it will make me happy. Other times I eat a couple of them ha ha!!

I might have to try the barefoot think, think of the money we'd save a shoes :smiley:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @elise4270 I saw that too about the caveman - too funny

I can't believe he ran barefooted for 26+ miles!

I can't believe he's 50! Maybe I should adopt that lifestyle.

No doubt! You see the pic of Amby Burfoot? He's 70.

ETA http://www.runnersworld.com/boston-marathon/how-notables-fared-at-the-2017-boston-marathon

I've just been reading about an eighty year old who is running his 100th marathon next week in London. He's one of the only people to have run London every year since it began in 1981.

Question- should I taunt my work colleague doing his second marathon with this information?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of going back towards the barefoot thing. Partly because i was listening to a podcast earlier and they were discussing wear on shoes. The main but of a shoe that deteriorates is the midsole, as it gets compressed. Really barefoot shoes don't have a midsole so should last longer.

Question for @7lenny7 - what shoes so you wear on your trail in the dark to give good prio-perception? I like the idea of running without a head-torch just with ambient light, but I'm worried the trees will get me.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart Happy Birthday

@stoshew71 I was just thinking, you know you live in a running town when like 20 people from your local area ran in Boston yesterday.

I know. And I know about half of them in person.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 great race report I got through or quick because I'm a fast reader but not runner
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Fabulous race report @lporter229! You did such an amazing job! Hope your hamstrings get better soon.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    1---4.48
    3---3.05
    5---2.85 walk
    9---3.30 walk
    11---4.77
    14---6.07
    16---4.36 fastest run yet.
    18---3.88
    19---2.8 Barefoot Walk. Cuz I just had to try it out. Definitely good for the gait!

35.58/50

RACES!!!

XTERRA Rock Dallas Trail Run May 27 (Tentative)
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run Jul 8 (Tentative)
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    WK: 4.17.17 - 4.23.17

M - Rest / Recover Day
    T - 10.8 m. 9:35 pace.
    W - 9.8 m. 9:40 pace.
    T -
    F -
    S -
    S -
    Total - miles for the week.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Since we're on the topic of barefoot running, I was wondering if anyone ever started by running in socks. Seems like they would offer some protection and the full barefoot experience.

Then I started searching around and found out about people who do this and even paint a coat of Plasti-Dip on the bottom for more protection. Anyone ever try this?
    http://barefootrunning.com/?p=2052

Then I came across a new kickstarter product called Skinners.
    http://skinners.cc/
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Awesome race and fantastic report @lporter229! So happy for you - what a great race. But take care of those poor legs.

Date :::: Miles :::: April MTD (goal = 95)
    04/01/17 :::: 7.7 :::: 7.7
    04/02/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 11.2
    04/03/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 13.7
    04/04/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.7
    04/05/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 17.2
    04/06/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    04/07/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    04/08/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    04/09/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 20.6
    04/10/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 23.6
    04/11/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 23.6
    04/12/17 :::: 3.2 :::: 26.8
    04/13/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 26.8
    04/14/17 :::: 4.0 :::: 30.8
    04/15/17 :::: 6.2 :::: 37.0
    04/16/17 :::: 2.7 :::: 39.7
    04/17/17 :::: 3.7 :::: 43.4
    04/18/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 43.4
    04/19/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 46.6

Rain today and an unusual schedule so I decided to hit the treadmill at the Y on my way for a later start (and later finish) to work. I overshot my usual speed setting when I was getting started, but it felt okay so I just kept going. According to my Garmin (we'll just conveniently ignore that the treadmill disagreed slightly with both the pace and distance) I ended up doing a 5k in almost my fastest 5k race time. Regardless of the technicalities of what my pace actually was, I'm feeling good that I am starting to notice some consistent improvement in my average pace and how long I can maintain it.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    4/1: 5.8 miles
    4/2: 2.8 miles
    4/3: X-train (elliptical)
    4/4: 3.6 miles
    4/5: 5 miles
    4/6: rest
    4/7: 3.6 miles
    4/8: 6.3 miles
    4/9: 3 miles
    4/10: rest
    4/11: 4 miles
    4/12: 5 miles
    4/13: 4 miles
    4/14: rest
    4/15: 8 miles
    4/16: 5 miles
    4/17: PT/30 DS
    4/18: 5 miles
    4/19: 5 miles

TOTAL: 66.1/100 miles

Tried my hand at some mile repeats for speed work this afternoon: 1 mile warm up (9:38), 2 x 1 mile at 10K pace followed by 1/2 mile recovery (splits of 9:08, 5:03, 9:06, 5:32), 1 mile cool down (9:31). I started off the run with a little less energy than I'd like and hotter/muggier than I've been used to, so I felt like I needed to push myself a little harder for the two fast miles, but I still managed to hit my split goal (9:05-9:15) for both miles. Didn't really care what the recovery and warm/up cool down paces were.

I had to squeeze in my miles after work and rush home to shower before heading off to volunteer training. I'm pretty excited to be a Course Marshal for the Capital City Half Marathon, which is also the USTAF Half Marathon Championship this year. I'll be in the first zone of the course, so that will be fun. At first I was kind bummed that I wouldn't be ready to run a half for this race due to setback from my stress injury but I'm pretty pumped to see things from this side of things.
  • Elise4270
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Nevermind....