Cottage cheese??

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well, here's an awesome recipe. Hungarians put cottage cheese inside their crepes, called Palacsinta.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/crepe-palacsinta-50176718
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I can eat tub after tub of it. Like @brendanwhite84 I love a grind of fresh black pepper on it
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    There really are a load of people that really like it....
    Many different ways!
  • kikisf
    kikisf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Knudsen's is the best. Doesn't taste diet at all. I love to eat mine with blueberries (fresh or dried) and pumpkin seeds.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    I don't eat cottage cheese. I never eat any foods I don't like even if they are "good for you". There are plenty of things to eat so just pick stuff you actually enjoy eating.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese plain or with fresh fruit (apples, bananas, berries, grapes, etc.) I've noticed different brands have slightly different textures, so you may like the texture of one brand better than another.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Have it with a tablespoon of jelly. Don't knock it till you try it.

Don't mix the jelly in, just put it on top.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I love it topped with some sunflower seeds and a few dried cranberries.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I had the SAME bias til I tried it and surprise, I LOVE COTTAGE CHEESE. BUT you gotta have the full 4% milkfat one or else, no. I'll make it a meal and have it with roasted garlic Triscuits, grilled chicken, avocado, and maybe an apple. Or treat myself and have it with guava paste.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I used to eat it in my lasagna back in the day instead of ricotta cheese. I know most culinary folks would be outraged at cottage cheese instead of ricotta. LoL. I think it's northerner thing though that's how my family made it growing up.
    I'm from Oklahoma, that's how we made it, and I still do cause I like it that way.

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the texture, when you first get it, put the whole thing in the blender until smooth, then just pour the whole thing back in the clean cottage cheese carton, so you won't forget what it is. I used to put a little vanilla and sugar in it sometimes and eat it with fruit.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I mix it with canned pears and eat it for breakfast (one of my favorites!) My husband likes mixing it with salsa, my daughters like it with yougart....yeah we go through the stuff fast. If its not something you like, there is no point forcing youself to eat it though. There is a ton of healthy food I feel like I "should" eat but Im not going to force myself and feel like its a punishment. It helps to find foods you like that fit into your calorie/ macro goals :)
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    I enjoy dry cottage cheese - higher in protein and way lower in sodium: 1/2 cup portion: 22 grams of protein/
    15 mg sodium/110 calories

I 'bake' it into pancakes or blended into smoothies or on salads, etc.,

Compared to 1 per cent cottage cheese - 16 grams of protein/420 mg sodium and 100 calories
  • DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I like to mix cottage cheese with tuna. It's like a tuna salad, except I'm just adding more protein.

120g of 4% cottage cheese
    1 packet of Starkist Lemon Pepper
    2 Wasa Crackers

And I have the base of an excellent lunch for only 260 calories with 34g of protein and 4g fiber.

I like to pair it with some pickles and an apple for a filling and tasty lunch under 350 calories.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Aside from things others have already suggested, I use it in place of the majority of the hard cheese in cheese sauce, then have a much smaller amount of a strong hard cheese to add more bite. I also put some in the mashed potato for the veg shepherd's pie I made for dinner tonight.
  • jamespatten3576
    jamespatten3576 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've eaten it every day for lunch during the work week for the last 2yrs. Just recently switched to a couple hard boiled eggs instead. Hate mornings, and it was easy to just pack up a weeks worth on Sunday and then I could sleep a little longer before work. One thing I noticed is the taste and texture seemed to vary a bit even if I stuck with the same brand. Sometimes I liked it a lot, sometimes not so much.
  • dsboohead
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    I had the SAME bias til I tried it and surprise, I LOVE COTTAGE CHEESE. BUT you gotta have the full 4% milkfat one or else, no. I'll make it a meal and have it with roasted garlic Triscuits, grilled chicken, avocado, and maybe an apple. Or treat myself and have it with guava paste.

Guava paste??
  • dsboohead
    Options
    I like to mix cottage cheese with tuna. It's like a tuna salad, except I'm just adding more protein.

120g of 4% cottage cheese
    1 packet of Starkist Lemon Pepper
    2 Wasa Crackers

And I have the base of an excellent lunch for only 260 calories with 34g of protein and 4g fiber.

I like to pair it with some pickles and an apple for a filling and tasty lunch under 350 calories.

Excellent easy idea!
  • dsboohead
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    I enjoy dry cottage cheese - higher in protein and way lower in sodium: 1/2 cup portion: 22 grams of protein/
    15 mg sodium/110 calories

I 'bake' it into pancakes or blended into smoothies or on salads, etc.,

Compared to 1 per cent cottage cheese - 16 grams of protein/420 mg sodium and 100 calories

Dry cottage cheese? Is that something different?
  • dsboohead
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Not much of a fan of the stuff only because back in the day it was considered a "diet" food and thats how I relate.
    I just need to think outside of the carton and get ideas from the forum how you eat it?

Never said I hated the stuff but just need to stretch my creative cottage cheese mind. Your ideas are fabulous for this underappreciated item!