Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.
Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is a calorie equal to a calorie?

I’m just curious if anybody has any links to a scientific article or journal talking about calories in terms of if 100 calories of apples is equal to 100 calories of oreos.
I was debating this in my head while reading some other discussions. Depending on what I eat, how hungry I am, and how active I am, I eat between 1700-3000 calories. On average it’s around 2000. My calories only come from whole fruits and vegetables. I’m just thinking...I don’t think a calorie really equals a calorie because the body uses the food differently. White bread vs Sweet Potato, PB2 vs Almond Butter, Cane sugar vs Dates, Faux Chicken vs spinach, etc etc

Replies

• UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Thank you all for sharing!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,988 Member
    Don't confuse energy with nutrients

^^^This...
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    In scientific terms (using metric units), a calorie is defined as the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 millilitre of pure water by 1 degree centigrade (at a pressure of 1 atmosphere).
    That's it.
    That's all it is.

(NB what we call calories in daily life are actually kilocalories - kcal, 1000 calories.)
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    edited January 2018