What's the REAL reason you want to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• jke78
    jke78 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Me doing this the right way actually started with my 14 year old son(plus I quit smoking and gained some lbs). During a dr check-up we discovered he has high blood pressure, I was floored, my teen had high blood pressure!!! We were told he needed to lose weight or be put on bp meds. I didn't want to limit his calories so I decided to change the way the whole family eats. We've also started walking a mile and a half every day before dinner and we practice smart snacking. I found out I like figs! I'd never had a fig that wan't in a Newton.

I'm really proud of my son, he's gone from 215 to 196, WITHOUT starving. He joined JROTC and I watched him march in the homecoming parade earlier this week. We still have a long journey ahead but I feel as if we are starting strong. I didn't discover MFP until we has already begun, but it has really been a big help as far as education and I am really grateful.
  • jke78
    jke78 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    pinkiezoom wrote: »
    I want to show my cheating EX's what a fool they have been :smiley:
    I LOLed at this >:)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Health schmealth. lol

My main reason is purely aesthetic, though as I get older and see changes in my health, that's becoming more of a reason. My blood pressure is higher than usual these days and my cholesterol is through the roof. I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's, though, which can cause both of those things. So it isn't necessarily just being overweight in my case (I'm really not THAT overweight, but heavier than I'm comfortable with).

So, yeah, it's about cute clothes and bikinis over here and I'm not ashamed to admit it! And it's also about being comfortable in my own skin. I was quite thin most of my life and I don't handle extra weight well. I don't feel like myself.
  • CelticBoxingGuy
    CelticBoxingGuy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ironically its because of others but no because I care what they think, I've been heavy 8 years now. My issue is doctors think they own my body since becoming diabetic and friends who are equally out of shape think they have some leg up on me, because a smart guy like Mike isn't in shape. I guess my answer is....because it takes a good amount of self confidence to overcome your complacency and show others that just when they think they know what your capable of, you can always surprise them. My wish is I could go to some island fitness thing and return after a long absence looking amazing and pissing them off ;)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Actually it is health. When I go i'm going to feel rather stupid if it was for a very preventable reason. When I mean health its not just the weight, but also about being on a better diet and being fitter.
  • Iwlwwte
    Iwlwwte Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Couldn't do it just for one reason -- had to have a few to make it "worthwhile."
    1) Health Insurance costs at work -- more "incentives" (read "penalties") coming for cholesterol/BMI/BP numbers that they don't like.
    2) Tired of making up excuses at my annual physical.
    3) Tired of postponing my annual physical.
    4) Tired of wondering if my grandfather's diabetes was going to catch up with me due to overweight.
    5) Tired of getting winded going up a flight of steps, when I used to be able to run up and down without thinking about it.
    6) Tired of putting away pants that used to fit and buying larger ones. (Now down from 42 waist to 36 after 10 months - yay!)
    7) heel pain (!)

Seriously -- I kept putting it off for years, but once I could stack up several reasons I found the motivation to do it. Didn't care what others thought or saw, but found enough that annoyed me so that I had to do something about it. :smile:
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I want to give my mom a kidney when its time, I want to run a marathon, and I want to be confident when I go on a trip next year.
  • DiamondDiva914
    DiamondDiva914 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had a health scare....several days in a row of crushing chest pain. I truly felt like I was dying. Turns out it wasn't a heart attack, but at my weight, it could have been. Add to that the fact that I have lupus and fibromyalgia and arthritis....and you have several good reasons to drop some tonnage! I want to live. I have a one year old grandson that I need to be around to spoil relentlessly. I can't allow something as fixable as my weight to prevent me from being the best grandma that I can be!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I want a banging body. I turn 40 in a little over a year and I only have a little control over how my face ages. However, I can have amazing abs and a great butt! I've never really been overweight either, but I've never been super fit either.

I also have hobbies that require me to be pretty strong, and I want to avoid osteoporosis which runs in my family, so there's that too. But I can do/avoid those things without seeing my abs, so yeah, it's all about vanity...
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Health reasons. I got a condition called Hiderodenitis Suppuritiva. Losing weight sent it into remission. I also did it for my general health and wanting to be strong. As my proof I am now 225lbs and still have a decent beer gut and feel NO pressure to lose any more weight. I am can lift heavy, run 5km and my fitness and strength and musculature are improving all the time. I feel no pressure to diet down and get abs or a flat stomach or any one of the stupid narcissistic things people think they need to make em happy. Oh and I also gave up smoking and now only drink on special occasions.

I definitely did this for my health.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I just had my baby girl 4.5 months ago and I don't feel like myself at all at this weight. I do not feel attractive, comfortable or confident. Neither do I feel strong and healthy. I'm doing this to get my life back. I'm doing this for me, and also for my husband who loves me just the way I am, even at this weight.
  • Thaifarang
    Options
    Foe me it is basically health. I am in the position now that constant and hard exercise in teh past has caused me permanent injuries that are now just getting worse because of my weight. I want to move easily again and not have to worry about my health so much. I also have a wonderful GF who has no children yet and is looking at changing that in the near future. I am a bit older than her so the weight issue will effect the time and quality of time that I can spend with her and any children. Also I am sick of being embarrassed by my size.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Because I am disgusted by me.
  • OneGoodBean
    OneGoodBean Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Because I had stage 4 cancer and do NOT want it coming back. I need to be in my best health to prevent that.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,017 Member
    Options
    kellyb28 wrote: »
    Is it actually for your health?

It's not for me. I'm already at a healthy weight.. honestly, I try not to let myself conform to society's standards of beauty, but thin to me represents someone who is healthy, takes care of themselves, and has self-control... all attractive features. Now don't get me wrong, someone with extra fat on their body can absolutely be all of these things and often are! It's just hard not to succumb to the pressure that thin is healthy and how everyone should be. Another reason that I want to be thin is because I'm vegan and a nutrition major... I feel like people have these ideas that vegans need to be thin and dietitians need to be thin. I feel like being thin is also a great way to promote the vegan lifestyle... someone might ask "how do you stay so thin?" and an answer might be "well, first of all, I eat a healthy, vegan diet.." and it might get people curious to try out veganism (which I want everyone to do, it makes you feel amazing!).

It's funny, I find people beautiful at every size yet it's hard for me to find myself beautiful unless I'm thin.

So what's your honest reason?

Yes my honest reason was actually for my health - I realised I had become over weight and wanted to lose 10 kg to get back to healthy weight range.

I don't think I looked much different at 10 kg overweight so appearance didn't really come into it.

Interesting that one of your reasons is so people will ask how you became thin and people might get curious to try out veganism which you want everyone to do because it makes you feel so amazing.

Other people can eat whatever diet they want - but I won't be emulating someone else's diet just bec ause they are thin :o

• cccoursey
    cccoursey Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I want to say its because I want to be a better person all around. Honestly, its because I was told I was old and fat by someone whose voice actually mattered to me. I was already disgusted with how I looked and the life I was in. That was the proverbial straw. So I changed all of it. Mid life crisis? Maybe. Am I better off for it? I can't say from day to day. Yet, when I look back, I wonder how I even survived.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    To look my honest best to me when I look in the mirror. Plenty of other nice benefits too from being a good and consistent bodyweight, but looking good has always been my most powerful motivation to change my bodyweight, if I've been unhappy about it.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    At first it was for my health.

Now, I want to look good naked standing in front of a mirror. (My husband already thinks I looked good naked, but I don't see it myself. I want to like what I see in the mirror.)
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight my entire life, and I was starting to see the ill effects of it. My knees were hurting, my stomach was hurting, my butt was so fat that I could barely fit in seats. I was terrified of flying. And I knew I was killing myself with food.

I've taken off 73 lbs now (about half way to my goal) and I already feel so much better. I have more energy and am way more active. Plus, I feel better about myself, knowing I am finally taking care of myself.