What's the REAL reason you want to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Because I have been fat my entire life pretty much and I am tired of being this way. I am not necessarily looking to be "thin", more like just thinner. I am the fittest I have ever been right now at 39 and that feels pretty great. Now if I can match my fitness to my external self, I could be happy!
  • du6157
    du6157 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I got tired of feeling invisible. Overweight middle-aged women are the joke of the world. I'm not going to stress over my weight, but I'm getting stronger and I laugh at people's faces as I pass them in a race. Confidence is sexy!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I want to be at a healthy weight to see what it's like. I've never felt what it's like to be a normal weight. I want to be able to do adventurous things and look hot doing them! And I want to wear fancy clothes :)
  • Jetta_C
    Jetta_C Posts: 58
    Options
    Honestly, for me, it is to be "light". When I was at my heaviest, there would be this ritual I went through every morning. I would wake up, step out of bed...and feel all the weight that I needed to carry around that day. I would feel how, even first thing in the morning, it was already hurting my knees and ankles. And I would think about going through that same exercise--stepping out of bed--60 lbs lighter. I pictured how my joints would feel, my knees, my back.

That's why I want to lose. I want to feel "light". Even already, at a 22 lb weight loss, I notice a difference. My feet don't hurt as much at the end of the day. I can move around more freely. And then I imagine another 40+ lbs off. My weight goals are ambitious - I will be at a BMI of about 19 when I get there. But the idea of being so light is utterly enchanting to me, strictly for the pleasure of moving around in a body that light.
  • conkle23
    conkle23 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I want to be healthy. But the real reason is because I have always been told I would look really good if I was fit, and in shape. And I really want to be able to attract them beautiful ladies. I want to look good, so I can attract the good.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I started off to be healthier. Then my STBE became complacent, we broke up (and no it wasn't just ONE thing...geez folks). Now I maintain to get a new man.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    To look in the mirror and like what I see for once in my life. Having hated my body and myself my whole life, I'm hoping shedding 25-30 pounds will help.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Looking good and living longer is going to be my best revenge.
  • lyrics09
    lyrics09 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    To be hella hot naked. lol

To be able to do all the fun *kitten* I miss out on because I feel awkward or like I don't fit in. I want to do fun fitness stuff like marathons and all that. Enjoy buying clothes again. To be proud of myself.
  • smc0170
    smc0170 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be stuck taking a ton of medications for health problems like everyone in my family, or get diabetes. I'd rather not croak at 50 just because I couldn't control my eating.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Main reason is I'm hoping losing weight will help me gain fertility to have a baby.
    My second reason would be I don't want to be a fat *kitten* like my mother. Everyone around me seems to be overweight and I find it disgusting.
  • auntyfred
    auntyfred Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Two reasons for me,
    1) I was at the top end of weight my horse could/should carry and I want to continue riding her and
    2) Health reasons, I have a few health issues that could be improved by weight loss
  • muffinsandcakes
    muffinsandcakes Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    to feel confident when entering clothes store ( I can wear what I want) .. and to get rid of some fats in some places and of course to feel self-controlled
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with the way I look and feel. I'd like to drop a bit more bodyfat so I don't have to cut water weight for my jiu jitsu tournaments, and get those lines back around my atlas belt/abs, but that's sheer vanity; not a top priority.

If anything, I'll be looking to gain weight soon - making a return to weight lifting if I can get a lifting buddy who is consistent.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    So many reasons, but my top three are: I'm vain, being slim makes finding clothes that fit and look good a lot easier, and I don't want to get heart disease or diabetes like my dad.
  • Wanjiru_Njoroge
    Options
    A number of reasons. First of all, I want to feel beautiful. Yeah I know you can be curvy and beautiful but I too have conformed to the idea that beauty lies within thinness. I am at a healthy weight for my height myself but these lumps and bumps are not sitting too well with me. I don't consider myself attractive at all; I feel incredibly ugly all the time. But sometimes I feel like if I lose a few pounds and do a little toning, I'll finally feel beautiful (or just less unattractive than I do). So that's the first reason. Secondly, I want to wear a bikini and feel confident in it. I have NEVER worn a bikini (I don't even know why, I haven't been my current weight all my life so I guess I just didn't feel like it or something) and I suddenly feel the urge to wear one and feel confident in it. Thirdly, I just want everyone to stop talking. I go to a school where literally EVERY girl is model size. I'm considered fat (it's been said to me so many times that I actually started believing it) and I'd just like to live in peace without all the negative comments. I want to make them all eat their words. Lastly, there's a certain guy who I want to make feel like crap for treating me the way he did. This last one is the most motivating. ;)
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    For me it is about my health, as well as becoming more active. I want my daughter growing up with a health role model - not one that sits around and doesn't do anything to better themselves.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The honest to god reason that I finally got my act together & started using MFP consistently is that I slept with my ex last Christmas break & was painfully aware of the fact that I had probably gained 30+ pounds since we had last been together. Sometimes I think the changes in your body don't seem significant when you see it in the mirror everyday (changing slowly before you), but you can bet that people who haven't seen you in a number of years can clearly see the difference in how you look now compared to then. Or at least that was my fear. I've always been generally happy with my body regardless of size and didn't really care what people thought, but that experience was a huge wake up call for me & I decided I wanted to be healthier if an exchange like that ever happened with him again. So I guess in short, confidence is what I'm doing this for.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    kellyb28 wrote: »
    Is it actually for your health?

It's not for me. I'm already at a healthy weight.. honestly, I try not to let myself conform to society's standards of beauty, but thin to me represents someone who is healthy, takes care of themselves, and has self-control... all attractive features. Now don't get me wrong, someone with extra fat on their body can absolutely be all of these things and often are! It's just hard not to succumb to the pressure that thin is healthy and how everyone should be. Another reason that I want to be thin is because I'm vegan and a nutrition major... I feel like people have these ideas that vegans need to be thin and dietitians need to be thin. I feel like being thin is also a great way to promote the vegan lifestyle... someone might ask "how do you stay so thin?" and an answer might be "well, first of all, I eat a healthy, vegan diet.." and it might get people curious to try out veganism (which I want everyone to do, it makes you feel amazing!).

It's funny, I find people beautiful at every size yet it's hard for me to find myself beautiful unless I'm thin.

So what's your honest reason?

Nope, it's all vanity here too! Well, I mean I DO want to be healthier, but really I just want to look better naked. My biggest fitness goal has always been to have my stomach not stick out further than my.......chest.....yeah we'll go with chest.

I do want to be healthier. Seeing the health problems my family has had with heart disease on my father's side and type 2 diabetes on my mother's side has been a wake up call. I also like being in the best shape of my life and having it get better and better!

So here's to vanity as a vehicle for better health!
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be a lazy slob unhappy with myself for the rest of my life. I want to be happy and confident with my body, and I want something to be proud of.