Ebola is freaking me out!!

Options

Replies

• whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    CDC blaming the nurse in Dallas is pure BS... they are not prepared for this 3rd world *kitten* here is the US...for God's sake.. you have to BEG people to immunize their children here....Infection Control measures really need to be kicked up a notch...sit on a bus or plane next to a friendly person..chatting it up...and find out 3 days later you're quarantined.......hmmmm
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    therocpile wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    @therocpile. you are misinformed and spreading misinformation. Ebola is NOT airborne to any degree. It is only spread by body fluids such as blood, sweat, saliva, urine and feces. Actual contact with those fluids has to be made in order to transmit the disease. Those numbers you are sharing are not numbers for the US, they are for Africa, and only if current infection rates continue. (worst case scenario) Medical workers are not being infected through bio-hazard gear. they are being infected by not initiating protocols soon enough. Medical workers following protocols in Africa have not become infected.

This is not misinformation at all, You can do your own research like I said. In medical terms, if the virus is transferred through tiny droplets in the air this would technically not be called an "airborne virus". I am using the word "airborne" as a layman term. Ebola is drop-let borne. You just said it yourself "It's only spread by via body fluids" - If someone sneezes or coughs and you breathe the same air as them, you can get infected. If you think those numbers only pertain to Africa, you are sadly mistaken and ignorant. Everything I said can be backed up, do your own research.
    i find it funny that these 2 statements were made in the same paragraph
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    @therocpile. you are misinformed and spreading misinformation. Ebola is NOT airborne to any degree. It is only spread by body fluids such as blood, sweat, saliva, urine and feces. Actual contact with those fluids has to be made in order to transmit the disease. Those numbers you are sharing are not numbers for the US, they are for Africa, and only if current infection rates continue. (worst case scenario) Medical workers are not being infected through bio-hazard gear. they are being infected by not initiating protocols soon enough. Medical workers following protocols in Africa have not become infected.

This is not misinformation at all, You can do your own research like I said. In medical terms, if the virus is transferred through tiny droplets in the air this would technically not be called an "airborne virus". I am using the word "airborne" as a layman term. Ebola is drop-let borne. You just said it yourself "It's only spread by via body fluids" - If someone sneezes or coughs and you breathe the same air as them, you can get infected. If you think those numbers only pertain to Africa, you are sadly mistaken and ignorant. Everything I said can be backed up, do your own research.

The "sneezing or coughing and inhaling those droplets" - that is the definition of an airborne virus. I don't need to do any new research, as my years as a respiratory therapist will do me just fine, thank you very much. You are fearmongering with your misinformation. Droplet virus can only be spread by direct contact with the virus, as with skin contact with the bodily fluids.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I think the CDC is now online answering questions and putting minds to rest...............
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    whovian67 wrote: »
    CDC blaming the nurse in Dallas is pure BS... they are not prepared for this 3rd world *kitten* here is the US...for God's sake.. you have to BEG people to immunize their children here....Infection Control measures really need to be kicked up a notch...sit on a bus or plane next to a friendly person..chatting it up...and find out 3 days later you're quarantined.......hmmmm

she wasnt properly trained, may not have been her fault specifically but at least her supervisor or whatever. she shouldve been trained to follow protocol in these situations, and if not then she shouldnt have been working there.

you have to realize that there is only so much that can be done, and even if we do everything we'll end up weakening the human immune system over the years to the point where one nasty airborne virus is going to come along and wipe us all out. look at the immune system of our ou natural primate relatives compared to us and i think the difference that letting nature handle virus's is the best way to go
  • kittikat1119
    kittikat1119 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    For those who actually want to do their own research on ebola (I suggest you do) you can find a wide variety of ebola research studies and papers on Flutrackers.com. The language is not that hard to understand but it does take effort to read.

However, I would suggest if you have not studied ebola at all and are simply relying on the media to give you information, maybe you should not attack others with differing views just because you do not like it. Read for yourself and you might be surprised. Just a suggestion. Have a great day everyone.
  • amjmom
    amjmom Posts: 32
    Options
    amjmom wrote: »
    Freaks me too. You are not alone. Every patient they bring back to America from overseas has made their first stop for a plane refuel in my city. Less than a mile from my house. And, of course, the media has to be right there when it does stop. Nobody is supposedly getting off these planes but the door is always open.

Unless you are coming in direct contact with bodily fluids of an infected person, i.e. blood, saliva, vomit, urine, feces, semen, etc., you have nothing to worry about.

Someone though from that plane either got on or off then the reverse which means someone in my city may have had contact. Clearly the door is open and someone getting on the plane in this article. http://bangordailynews.com/slideshow/plane-carrying-second-ebola-patient-lands-at-bangor-airport-to-refuel/?ref=search
  • Old_Man_McGucket
    Old_Man_McGucket Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Right now there is a group of soccer moms who are blaming gluten for ebola.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

The "sneezing or coughing and inhaling those droplets" - that is the definition of an airborne virus. I don't need to do any new research, as my years as a respiratory therapist will do me just fine, thank you very much. You are fearmongering with your misinformation. Droplet virus can only be spread by direct contact with the virus, as with skin contact with the bodily fluids.

Actually I did read that there was a difference. I think what that dude was trying to say with the droplets is called aerosol. The virus ca n travel in droplets spread via aerosol (coughing, sneezing) and they can stay suspended for a time. Airborne is when they can travel on dust particles in the air. I don't know how true that is but it's something I read somewhere, someone feel free to correct me.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Tiamo719 wrote: »
    jbach2 wrote: »
    Did you freak out on Y2K, too?

Well, duh!

LOL. It's okay. It gives us all something to live for... uh, die for... uh, someting to talk about, anyway. :-)
  • therocpile
    therocpile Posts: 54 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

K

"Ebola has been detected in blood and many body fluids. Body fluids include saliva, mucus, vomit, feces, sweat, tears, breast milk, urine, and semen"

"Unlike respiratory illnesses like measles or chickenpox, which can be transmitted by virus particles that remain suspended in the air after an infected person coughs or sneezes, Ebola is transmitted by direct contact with body fluids of a person who has symptoms of Ebola disease. Although coughing and sneezing are not common symptoms of Ebola, if a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person’s eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease."

"Direct contact means that body fluids (blood, saliva, mucus, vomit, urine, or feces) from an infected person (alive or dead) have touched someone’s eyes, nose, or mouth or an open cut, wound, or abrasion."

" Ebola on dried on surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops can survive for several hours; however, virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature."

Maybe you should do some "new" research. I'm just "fear-mongering" though, straight from the CDC's website.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Actually I did read that there was a difference. I think what that dude was trying to say with the droplets is called aerosol. The virus ca n travel in droplets spread via aerosol (coughing, sneezing) and they can stay suspended for a time. Airborne is when they can travel on dust particles in the air. I don't know how true that is but it's something I read somewhere, someone feel free to correct me.

You are correct. Airborne transmission and aerosol transmission are two different things.

• sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options

Except you know, for the part where you're wrong.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Ebola is mythical.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    headofphat wrote: »
    Ebola is mythical.

It's literally the unicorn of diseases.
  • therocpile
    therocpile Posts: 54 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    sixout wrote: »

Except you know, for the part where you're wrong.

Feel free to correct me. Let's hear it!
    http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Freaks me too. You are not alone. Every patient they bring back to America from overseas has made their first stop for a plane refuel in my city. Less than a mile from my house. And, of course, the media has to be right there when it does stop. Nobody is supposedly getting off these planes but the door is always open.

Unless you are coming in direct contact with bodily fluids of an infected person, i.e. blood, saliva, vomit, urine, feces, semen, etc., you have nothing to worry about.

Someone though from that plane either got on or off then the reverse which means someone in my city may have had contact. Clearly the door is open and someone getting on the plane in this article. http://bangordailynews.com/slideshow/plane-carrying-second-ebola-patient-lands-at-bangor-airport-to-refuel/?ref=search

Don't believe everything you read from the media. The media is trying to get people in a panic. You are falling for the trap. You have a higher risk of dying from the flu this season then you do from Ebola- just saying.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    BigT555 wrote: »

you have to realize that there is only so much that can be done, and even if we do everything we'll end up weakening the human immune system over the years to the point where one nasty airborne virus is going to come along and wipe us all out. look at the immune system of our ou natural primate relatives compared to us and i think the difference that letting nature handle virus's is the best way to go

Unless you are immune compromised, then our immune system is still working fine. A vaccination (the most likely medical intervention for a virus like Ebola) works by priming our existing immune system. It doesn't weaken anything.

Primates, while close to us, are not us. "Effective" viruses generally don't kill their usual host outright. Look at SIV, a possible precursor to HIV: it is thought to have infected primates for more than 30,000 years and is non-pathogenic in primates. It has evolved to infect and be transmitted while NOT killing the host. It's often only when (through rare events) such viruses cross species that they can become pathogenic. Basically, due to small differences between us and primates, the mechanisms that allow the virus to be non-fatal in apes makes it fatal to us.

If there is an airborne virus that wipes us out, it will probably be a strain of flu!

Of course, if we let nature have her way completely, millions if not billions of people could die from such a pandemic. But I guess the ones that survive will be immune to that virus...
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I'm here because somebody said there'd be chocolate. If I don't get chocolate, then you will truly have cause to fear. I will also take coffee or money with which I can buy chocolate.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Beastette wrote: »
    I'm here because somebody said there'd be chocolate. If I don't get chocolate, then you will truly have cause to fear. I will also take coffee or money with which I can buy chocolate.

here you go

chocolate.jpg