Options

Replies

• therocpile
    therocpile Posts: 54 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    pyrowill wrote: »
    877lvpj61wdx.jpg

Being obese, smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol is a choice. Ebola is not. Ebola is highly contagious and "airborne" to a degree. When someone coughs, sneezes or, in the case of Ebola, vomits, he releases a spray of secretions into the air. Droplet-borne germs can travel in these secretions to infect someone a few feet away, often through open wounds, eyes, nose or mouth. A study conducted in 2012 showed that Ebola was able to travel between pigs and monkeys that were in separate cages and were never placed in direct contact.

The fact of the matter is, Ebola will continue to spread, due to the fact we are letting people fly into our country from Ebola stricken regions without quarantining them for the 21 day incubation period. Expect cases all across the United States and globally. Air traffic should be halted immediately to and from these areas and quarantines should be enforced.

The CDC has come out and said they are estimating 1.4 million people infected with Ebola by January 2015. The WHO has also come out and said they are expecting 5000-10,000 cases weekly by December 2014. Also, doctors/medical workers are being infected through top-line bio-hazard gear. Keep believing the TV! First they said it wouldn't come here, then they said it wouldn't spread, now it's here and spreading.

We should be concerned and keep a close eye on both Ebola and Enterovirus D68. Don't take my word for it though, do your own research.

• ShannonS921
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Don't know where you live but EV-D68 seems more of an immediate threat. *shrugs*

Yup. THAT one has be worried...but that worry is for my young children.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    @therocpile. you are misinformed and spreading misinformation. Ebola is NOT airborne to any degree. It is only spread by body fluids such as blood, sweat, saliva, urine and feces. Actual contact with those fluids has to be made in order to transmit the disease. Those numbers you are sharing are not numbers for the US, they are for Africa, and only if current infection rates continue. (worst case scenario) Medical workers are not being infected through bio-hazard gear. they are being infected by not initiating protocols soon enough. Medical workers following protocols in Africa have not become infected.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Tiamo719 wrote: »
    I needed to get that off my chest.

Did you know that most of our chocolate is made in West Africa??? :o

srsly?

Do you have to study to pass a fog test?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I needed to get that off my chest.

Did you know that most of our chocolate is made in West Africa??? :o

You are mistaken. Cocoa is grown largely in West African, but the chocolate is not made there.
  • Ruzuki
    Ruzuki Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This Ebola didnt start in Africa, Im pretty sure. Started in South America.
    And honestly, you dont have to worry about Ebola unless you touch the body fluids of someone who is infected. Its not like it can be transmitted through air.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The death rate is 50%. I think I'll become a hermit. Bring on winter, kill it all!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    and what kind of crap chocolate are you guys eating? All my stuff is straight single bean varietals hand picked in central america.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Did you freak out on Y2K, too?
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    54941484.jpg

*slow clap* thank you
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    jbach2 wrote: »
    Did you freak out on Y2K, too?

Well, duh!
  • amjmom
    amjmom Posts: 32
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Freaks me too. You are not alone. Every patient they bring back to America from overseas has made their first stop for a plane refuel in my city. Less than a mile from my house. And, of course, the media has to be right there when it does stop. Nobody is supposedly getting off these planes but the door is always open.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i work 10 minutes from akron ohio...how do you think i feel today
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I am a prehospital provider and it scares me. Ebola has actually been an admittedly irrational fear since I read The Hot Zone some 20 years ago. I spend a good part of my day covered in some kind of body fluid from strangers. Add to that the fact that my small little town in rural NW Montana has a YWAM base...a place to train and support missionaries to/from all over the world. AND, one of our regional hospitals is set up as one of the 5 in the country with appropriate isolation suites to handle Ebola patients. That next sick call or flu-like symptoms call I run, which used to be routine, will have me reaching for a full-on hazmat suit. The more the press tells me not to worry? THE MORE I WORRY!

Wow, now there is something to worry about. Please be careful. Was it ever noted how the nurse in Dallas was infected?

The nurse in Dallas was infected because she was one of the workers who cared for Mr. Duncan when he FIRST went to the hospital and told them he had been in Liberia. They knew he was there and they knew of the Ebola outbreak, yet they still sent him home with antibiotics. They did not follow protocol or take necessary precautions. Obviously the infected health care workers were not wearing protective gear when Mr. Duncan first went to the hospital (he was most contagious at this time) which is how they contracted Ebola.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    and what kind of crap chocolate are you guys eating? All my stuff is straight single bean varietals hand picked in central america.

You forgot to mention that those who handpick those pods are all wearing silk gloves . They also don't eat any onions and garlic so the pods are not contaminated by foul breath and of course they only bathe in the first dew of the new moon and only if the dew is harvested by virgin unicorns.....:o).
    You probably have no idea what is going on in the chocolate industry......child labor, fraud, mis-information which leads to mislabelling....just to start the list.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    amjmom wrote: »
    Freaks me too. You are not alone. Every patient they bring back to America from overseas has made their first stop for a plane refuel in my city. Less than a mile from my house. And, of course, the media has to be right there when it does stop. Nobody is supposedly getting off these planes but the door is always open.

Unless you are coming in direct contact with bodily fluids of an infected person, i.e. blood, saliva, vomit, urine, feces, semen, etc., you have nothing to worry about.
  • therocpile
    therocpile Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    @therocpile. you are misinformed and spreading misinformation. Ebola is NOT airborne to any degree. It is only spread by body fluids such as blood, sweat, saliva, urine and feces. Actual contact with those fluids has to be made in order to transmit the disease. Those numbers you are sharing are not numbers for the US, they are for Africa, and only if current infection rates continue. (worst case scenario) Medical workers are not being infected through bio-hazard gear. they are being infected by not initiating protocols soon enough. Medical workers following protocols in Africa have not become infected.

This is not misinformation at all, You can do your own research like I said. In medical terms, if the virus is transferred through tiny droplets in the air this would technically not be called an "airborne virus". I am using the word "airborne" as a layman term. Ebola is drop-let borne. You just said it yourself "It's only spread by via body fluids" - If someone sneezes or coughs and you breathe the same air as them, you can get infected. If you think those numbers only pertain to Africa, you are sadly mistaken and ignorant. Everything I said can be backed up, do your own research.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I am a prehospital provider and it scares me. Ebola has actually been an admittedly irrational fear since I read The Hot Zone some 20 years ago. I spend a good part of my day covered in some kind of body fluid from strangers. Add to that the fact that my small little town in rural NW Montana has a YWAM base...a place to train and support missionaries to/from all over the world. AND, one of our regional hospitals is set up as one of the 5 in the country with appropriate isolation suites to handle Ebola patients. That next sick call or flu-like symptoms call I run, which used to be routine, will have me reaching for a full-on hazmat suit. The more the press tells me not to worry? THE MORE I WORRY!

Wow, now there is something to worry about. Please be careful. Was it ever noted how the nurse in Dallas was infected?

I'm not sure if anyone already answered this. I didn't read the article myself, but my boss told me that she read that while the hospital is saying they followed protocol, that may not be entirely accurate. Apparently, the health care workers weren't properly outfitted the first few days they were treating him (ie, flimsy suits, gloves not secured to suits allowing for skin exposure, etc.). That would definitely do it.

It's one of those things where it's in the back of my mind but I'm not letting it stress me out. I'm more worried about the respiratory virus that's infecting children. I have a 2 year old son and my brother passed away when he was 6 wks old from pneumonia so I take childhood illnesses very seriously.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    QtXF6x3sfisPm.gif
  • southernbuttercup
    southernbuttercup Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm already bunkered down in my prepper shelter which I can't disclose the location of. 8)