Diet Soda

Options

Replies

• tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    (and yes, even though there are "studies" that state aspartame is "good for you" and "doesn't cause harm" I'm going to err on the side of caution and skip it because I mean it's not like the FDA ever lies. Go ahead and flame me, call me a fear monger or what have you this is just the way I personally feel.)

No flaming - free to your own opinion, but for others reading the thread - the FDA isn't the only one to commission studies on Aspartame.

Also one should be very careful of the "funding fallacy".

This is when scientific studies are dismissed instantly due to who funded them. While funding source can certainly be a red light, if you dismiss a study based on funding alone, you may be casting aspersions on the scientists involved (who may have sterling reputations). And if the study has been peer reviewed, then those aspersions are cast upon everyone involved in that process.

When weighing the value of studies, it is much more important to focus on the scientific process IMO.
  • beautifulciera
    beautifulciera Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Diet Sodas have Aspartame ...and research says that this puts small holes in your brain. Doesn't sound too appetizing anymore.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Diet Sodas have Aspartame ...and research says that this puts small holes in your brain. Doesn't sound too appetizing anymore.

Well, this is irony
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Can you provide said research?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Aspartame lobby is very powerful. Stuff should be banned. Soda in general is bad for your health, sodas interfere with calcium uptake and have a negative effect on bone density.

OMG! Wake up sheeple!
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I drink diet pop daily, plus diet Monsters.

Waiting to die...... nope.

BTW, those studies are done in copious amounts no human consumes in one day.... on rats at that.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I drink diet pop daily, plus diet Monsters.

Waiting to die...... nope.

BTW, those studies are done in copious amounts no human consumes in one day.... on rats at that.

On rats that are already prone to cancer....and....the group of rats that got cancer less than the group that didn't have any Aspartame was the control group that had a moderate amount. Of course the rats that fared the worst were the rats that had the equivalent of 475,000 diet sodas or some obscene number like that in one sitting.

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Aspartame lobby is very powerful. Stuff should be banned. Soda in general is bad for your health, sodas interfere with calcium uptake and have a negative effect on bone density.

OMG! Wake up sheeple!

wake_up_sheeple.png

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    sseqwnp wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    the risk is that the sweet taste (which for artificial sweeteners is much more than actual sugar) makes your body expect to receive calories. when it doesn't, it makes you crave food. You might have an urge to binge. If you don't binge, you don't gain weight. Problem solved. (This is the theory that some use to explain the potential weight gain behind artificial sweeteners, not my own theory).
    So you're blaming lack of control as "sweetners make ya fat"?

SMH.

How is the thread still going btw? :|

HOW DO I READING COMPREHENSION???
    Obviously I am amazing at it.

Amazingly shatty. It was early I guess? lulz. :#
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    An interesting paper came out in Nature quite recently that showed that some artificial sweetners led to changes in the gut bacteria which in turn led to the development of glucose intolerance/metabolic effects - showing a potential mechanism for why the use of diet drinks/artificial sweetners don't appear to aid weight loss. This was just a mouse study (and there are a couple of comments at the end of the article poking holes in the study) but unfortunately I can't get the full text as it is too expensive (I'd love to see the detail) but I think it is something worth following as more research is carried out. The abstract of the full paper is
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v514/n7521/full/nature13793.html

There is also a discussion of the paper on Science Daily

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140917131634.htm
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »

Just reading this put holes in my brain
    Ditto.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    The only things I drink are copious amounts of water, diet soda and alcohol. Maybe all of the alcohol cancels out the negative, weight-gain-stomach-fat-cancer-causing agents in diet soda, but I haven't had any problems with it.
  • VegetalienPleurnichard
    Options
    i love diet soda so much tbh.
    it makes me really bloated and gassy.
    It's terrible for you though, all those chemicals and acids and sweeteners........
  • Relentless_0ne
    Options
    I heard that there is a Devil living in the New Jersey Pine Barrens.

• heybebe88
    heybebe88 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    shalak14 wrote: »
    The reason diet soda a beverages are considered bad for you because it has aspartame in it. It may be linked to causing cancer and people who have auto-immune disease are recommended to not use it. It does come naturally in some foods but it's best to limit it. I do know yes a lot of things cause cancer but it's best to avoid things that may. They have not done studies on humans that aspartame for sure causes health issues but there is a possibility. You can go on WEBMD and search diet soda.

I'm pretty sure literally anything you type into WebMD will result in "it causes cancer" or, if you type in symptoms, "you have cancer"
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The potassium in sodas might interfere some with calcium uptake, but that's about it. When I was a diabetic, the diet sodas were wonderful. Sugar-loaded sodas were liquid death. Everything in moderation, right? I might enjoy a diet soda or sparkling water a couple times a week. I am required to drink a fair amount of liquid a day and I crave variety so I change it up drinking teas and adding Mio or equivalents to my water. Fruit juices are just too high in calories.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi/or Diet Coke, 4-5 cans a day, lost 121 pounds!!!
  • emmanuel4everjackson
    emmanuel4everjackson Posts: 53 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The thought that Diet Coke is a healthy alternative to regular Coke is absurd. SOME people may be able to lose weight & feed their diet coke addiction, but I didn't lose mine until after I kicked it.