Diet Soda

Options

Replies

• emmanuel4everjackson
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    That is a total cop out response. You present an extraordinary claim, and only back it up with irrelevant evidence. You might as well claim the sky is purple, and then "agree to disagree"

Welcome to MFP

Please prove your opinion.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. Some people would rather remain ignorant.

You are doing a fine job of proving your own point...

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'll keep drinking the stuff just to prove my daughter wrong. She's read those fear-mongering articles too. She also avoids aluminum cookware and vaccines. Stupid. I looked in to the hard science and aspartame is not dangerous. Doesn't anyone get that for a diabetic, sugar is far more dangerous than aspartame, with documentable results?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I agree to disagree. Enjoy your diet coke & I will enjoy my water!
    That isn't evidence. That is an "article", and a pretty stupid one at that. It lacks actual facts and mistakes correlation for causation.

Agree to disagree :)

So you can't?

That's how I interpret it...

So you made an outragous claim, can't back it up, and follow it up with "agree to disagree"?

I love MFP.

Some people would rather remain ignorant than to actually read and learn.

I agree with you. Some people would rather remain ignorant.

You're right, some people research topics, utilize scholar websites and peer reviewed studies. Others read health and/or shape magazine.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It would not be possible to gain weight with diet soda, it has very little calories. Yeah it can bloat, but that's temporary. I don't think it would cause stomach fat, I mean, I drink coke often, the real stuff, and I have not gotten more fat on my stomach.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    That is a total cop out response. You present an extraordinary claim, and only back it up with irrelevant evidence. You might as well claim the sky is purple, and then "agree to disagree"

Welcome to MFP

how does one prove an opinion?
  • glevinso
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »

Welcome to MFP

By not having an understanding of the meaning of "science" :)

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Welcome to MFP

So based on ^^ that then if in my opinion I think that lilies are the worst flower out there how am I supposed to scientifically prove this opinion?

• glevinso
    Options

Welcome to MFP

So based on ^^ that then if in my opinion I think that lilies are the worst flower out there how am I supposed to scientifically prove this opinion?

Bingo...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I've cut back on the diet sodas, but only after the studies showing that they can cause a negative effect on gut flora. I have a firm belief that our beneficial bacteria colonies are way more important than science has yet eeked out, and I have no interest in altering or destroying mine. I don't feel that it's a huge sacrifice, and while the jury is still out on this one particular issue, I'd rather just not take the chance.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Welcome to MFP

Bingo...

??? Not sure I get your "bingo" statement. You're saying I need to scientifically back up my opinion that lilies are the worst flower out there? Maybe I just don't like them.
  • glevinso
    Options
    No - I am saying that opinions, by definition, cannot be backed up by anything at all.

Opinions are essentially unarguable because they are never based in fact. If they were, they would be "facts" and not "opinions".

If someone tells me it is their "opinion" that the sky is purple how can I argue with that? I can certainly say "Go outside, you knucklehead, and take a look. The sky is blue". What if, after being proven wrong, the person still insists the sky is purple? What then? Nothing.
  • RGv2
    edited November 2014
    Options

Welcome to MFP

Bingo...

??? Not sure I get your "bingo" statement. You're saying I need to scientifically back up my opinion that lilies are the worst flower out there? Maybe I just don't like them.

There is a difference in saying "I don't like lilies" and saying "Diet Coke is bad for you". By saying a specific thing is bad for everyone is trying to pass it off as fact, not opinion. Saying you don't like a flower because they're the worst, then that's your opinion. Depending on what you mean by "the worst" one could ask for scientific evidence (ie..aesthetics vs how a lillie could effect its environment)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    No - I am saying that opinions, by definition, cannot be backed up by anything at all.

Opinions are essentially unarguable because they are never based in fact. If they were, they would be "facts" and not "opinions".

If someone tells me it is their "opinion" that the sky is purple how can I argue with that? I can certainly say "Go outside, you knucklehead, and take a look. The sky is blue". What if, after being proven wrong, the person still insists the sky is purple? What then? Nothing.

I find this useful in those situations: http://theconversation.com/no-youre-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-9978
  • RGv2
    edited November 2014
    Options
    DP

• glevinso
    Options

There is a difference in saying "I don't like lilies" and saying "Diet Coke is bad for you".

Right. The first is an opinion. A value-based judgement that is important only to the person making it. None of the rest of us care what flowers you don't like. When there is no wrong answer, by definition your position on the matter is an opinion.

Declaring artificial sweeteners to be "bad for you" is simply a claim. You can't have an "opinion" on the matter because it is either true or it is false. When making a claim, one has to back it up with evidence, not "opinion".
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

This is indeed one of the studies I was referring to.