Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Now you just sound ridiculous.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Don't mess with my diet coke!! You can't prove it's unhealthy!! I'm not addicted, I can stop anytime I want!! You are ignorant if you disagree!!
    Actually I prefer diet Pepsi over diet Coke, but you'd be pressed to actually find any peer reviewed studies showing it's unhealthy in moderate dosages. And there's a difference to addiction vs palatable. I'm sure anyone can stop drinking diet drinks if they wanted, but the same can't be said for drugs like heroin, cocaine, etc. And no one said you were ignorant. Just saying that science doesn't support your point of view. Got actual evidence to counter it? Then let's hear it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Don't mess with my diet coke!! You can't prove it's unhealthy!! I'm not addicted, I can stop anytime I want!! You are ignorant if you disagree!! (sarcasm)

Well, alrighty then
  • glevinso
    Options
    I stopped drinking the stuff a while ago mostly because I realized I was drinking a little too much caffeine during the day and was having trouble sleeping. I also realized I was spending way too much money on something that doesn't really taste all that good.

After I stopped I noticed neither a weight gain, or loss, or a change in food cravings, or anything else.

Nothing.

At all.

My wallet is fatter and my sleep is better though. Neither of those things has anything to do with the artificial sweetener.

Regardless, unless someone shows me an actual peer reviewed study that contains repeatable experimental data with proper controls that show harm with direct causal link to the sweetener, I see no reason to believe it to be harmful in any way.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Wow! There are a lot of emotions around this. I probably should stay away, but just can't help myself. lol

I too have long dismissed the idea of diet soda being related to weight gain and realistically it is difficult create a fully controlled human study on the topic. However, don't dismiss mice studies, that is where all our drugs are initially tested for a reason. With that said, the jury is still out and I think that individual differences may play a much greater role, with a lot of third factors impacting the correlations found in the few human studies that have been done.

At any rate, I always believed that diet soda aided me in weight loss because I do find it a satisfying alternative to eating and I have lost 30 pounds in the past while drinking diet soda. Recently though (about 2 months ago), I gave up diet soda for other reasons and have found myself satisfied with much fewer calories; as a result, my weight has dropped at twice the rate that I've lost at in the past. My husband noticed this for me and also stopped drinking diet soda (he would go through a case/week on his own) and has lost weight without tracking calories or intending to. Again, not a scientific study, just my personal experience. But, if folks, like the OP, are wondering if stopping diet soda can help them with their weight loss, it doesn't hurt to try it and see what will happen for you.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Don't mess with my diet coke!! You can't prove it's unhealthy!! I'm not addicted, I can stop anytime I want!! You are ignorant if you disagree!! (sarcasm)

dafuq?
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Using diet soda as a low-calorie cocktail mixer has the awesome effect of getting you drunk faster than sugar-sweetened beverages, according to research from Northern Kentucky University.

FYP .

• catceol
    catceol Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There just like anything else: there okay in moderation, a diet soda every once in a while as a treat will not do you any harm!
  • glevinso
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

dafuq?

I think he lost it :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

so your "research" gets trounced, your "agree to disagree" cop out fails...
    this is what you resort to?

impressive.

Eye-Roll-gif-6.gif
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Using rats as an example of a product causing cancer in humans is a bit laughable. Rats and mice are used in cancer studies because it's incredibly easy to give them cancer. Then the scientists can use the cancer-ridden rats to experiment on with different potential cancer-curing drugs over and over again. For example, they've cured brain cancer in mice hundreds of times, it just never carries over in human trials because the human brain is so much more complex. Pet rats die of cancerous tumors pretty much all the time; they don't die of old age.
    Saying that aspertame causes cancer is rats so it's going to in humans doesn't have much scientific merit.
  • emmanuel4everjackson
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »

so your "research" gets trounced, your "agree to disagree" cop out fails...
    this is what you resort to?

impressive.

Eye-Roll-gif-6.gif

Thank you!! Hilarious!!
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Feel free to poison yourselves with your frankendrinks. I'll stick to my water.
  • emmanuel4everjackson
    emmanuel4everjackson Posts: 53 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Thank you!!
  • glevinso
    Options
    You are going to have to do better than that. You came in here proposing that the stuff is unhealthy, and were asked to provide evidence backing your claim. You were unable to do so, thus you appear to revert to mockery to try to prove your point.

So far in this thread you have commited the following logical fallacies:
    Ad Hominem
    Appeals to Authority
    Appeals to Popularity
    Bandwagoning

I am sure there are others but these are the ones jumping to mind immediately :)
  • shalak14
    shalak14 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I didn't say it causes cancer for sure it's a possibility. The reason I know that if you have an autoimmune system you shouldn't have aspartame is because I have two family members who have lupus. The become heavy and drank soda. They wanted to lose weight so they switched to diet and artificial sugars. After a couple years of doing this it they started having headaches, nausea, and their lupus progressed. After many doctor appointments because of abnormalities. They stopped drinking diet sodas. Slowly things become better. I am not say yay or nay on diet soda its a personal choice just like everything, but I am just sharing my experience.

If you feel fine drinking Diet soda and it works for you that is great.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Have been for 25 years now. Still no toxicity in my blood.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Thank you!!

What's the poison?

Is this like to toxic chicken thread?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    shalak14 wrote: »
    I didn't say it causes cancer for sure it's a possibility. The reason I know that if you have an autoimmune system you shouldn't have aspartame is because I have two family members who have lupus. The become heavy and drank soda. They wanted to lose weight so they switched to diet and artificial sugars. After a couple years of doing this it they started having headaches, nausea, and their lupus progressed. After many doctor appointments because of abnormalities. They stopped drinking diet sodas. Slowly things become better. I am not say yay or nay on diet soda its a personal choice just like everything, but I am just sharing my experience.

Anecdotes aren't evidence though. Unless you tracked everything they consumed from when they started to when they quit, then it's just speculation. Could they have PKU? Could they have EPI? Correlation doesn't always equal causation.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• glevinso
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    shalak14 wrote: »

Anecdotes aren't evidence though. Unless you tracked everything they consumed from when they started to when they quit, then it's just speculation. Could they have PKU? Could they have EPI? Correlation doesn't always equal causation.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

PKU is pretty serious - its a genetic disorder and would affect someone from birth.