Diet Soda

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    The thought that Diet Coke is a healthy alternative to regular Coke is absurd. I didn't loose my weight until after I kicked the addiction.

wut?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    The thought that Diet Coke is a healthy alternative to regular Coke is absurd. I didn't loose my weight until after I kicked the addiction.

LOL....diet sodas have no calories!! More than likely you found yourself in a deficit, so boom you lost weight!!! ;)
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    heybebe88 wrote: »
    shalak14 wrote: »
    The reason diet soda a beverages are considered bad for you because it has aspartame in it. It may be linked to causing cancer and people who have auto-immune disease are recommended to not use it. It does come naturally in some foods but it's best to limit it. I do know yes a lot of things cause cancer but it's best to avoid things that may. They have not done studies on humans that aspartame for sure causes health issues but there is a possibility. You can go on WEBMD and search diet soda.

I'm pretty sure literally anything you type into WebMD will result in "it causes cancer" or, if you type in symptoms, "you have cancer"

I gave up trying to get any medical information from WebMD because everything there says "it's cancer!!!"
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

vilifying diet soda
    use of the word "loose"
    AND implying diet soda "addiction"

all in one response?!

you, ma'am, are an artist.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The thought that Diet Coke is a healthy alternative to regular Coke is absurd. Some people may be able to lose weight & feed their diet coke addiction, but I didn't lose my weight until after I kicked it.

Not for a diabetic, duh. I still drink aspartame-laced drinks and I've lost eighty pounds so far.

• emmanuel4everjackson
    Options
    Diet coke is not healthy, lol!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Diet coke is not unhealthy, lol!

• emmanuel4everjackson
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Agree to disagree :)
  • Hornsby
    Options

Please share with us what is unhealthy about it when consumed in moderation?
  • RGv2
    Options

^^^Yes, please do.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is evil and puts holes in your brain
    Sugar is the devil
    Baking soda is toxic
    Soup with water causes thyroid problems

I'm just compiling my favorite quotes of the week to start a Top 10 Thread, I need something to refer back to because I have a bunch of tiny holes in my brain from my 1 Diet Coke/day.
  • glevinso
    Options
    I think the "holes in the brain" thing has to be the best one I have heard yet. Who comes up with that sh...tuff....
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Aspartame is evil and puts holes in your brain
    Sugar is the devil
    Baking soda is toxic
    Soup with water causes thyroid problems

I'm just compiling my favorite quotes of the week to start a Top 10 Thread, I need something to refer back to because I have a bunch of tiny holes in my brain from my 1 Diet Coke/day.

Food causes cancer, eat air.

• Hornsby
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I think the "holes in the brain" thing has to be the best one I have heard yet. Who comes up with that sh...tuff....

Dude, it was on a YouTube video and we all know that everything on YouTube is true.

• emmanuel4everjackson
    Options
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCIQFjAB&url=http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20739512,00.html&ei=RMlsVMnoBoi0yQSzyIG4Cw&usg=AFQjCNGqo0Ufz9W2F8gh6EebXEnMRVP8Jg&sig2=O9sjf9klOVqr3lNeigIk5w&bvm=bv.80120444,d.aWw

When taken at face value, diet soda seems like a health-conscious choice. It saves you the 140-plus calories you'd find in a sugary soft drink while still satisfying your urge for something sweet with artificial sweeteners like aspartame, saccharin, and sucralose. But there's more to this chemical cocktail than meets the eye.

Artificial sweeteners have more intense flavor than real sugar, so over time products like diet soda dull our senses to naturally sweet foods like fruit, says Brooke Alpert, RD, author of The Sugar Detox. Even more troubling, these sugar stand-ins have been shown to have the same effect on your body as sugar. "Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain," Alpert says.

Diet soda is calorie-free, but it won't necessarily help you lose weight. Researchers from the University of Texas found that over the course of about a decade, diet soda drinkers had a 70% greater increase in waist circumference compared with non-drinkers. And get this: participants who slurped down two or more sodas a day experienced a 500% greater increase. The way artificial sweeteners confuse the body may play a part, but another reason might be psychological, says Minnesota-based dietitian Cassie Bjork. When you know you're not consuming any liquid calories, it might be easier to justify that double cheeseburger or extra slice of pizza.

Drinking one diet soda a day was associated with a 36% increased risk of metabolic syndrome and diabetes in a University of Minnesota study. Metabolic syndrome describes a cluster of conditions (including high blood pressure, elevated glucose levels, raised cholesterol, and large waist circumference) that put people at high risk for heart disease, stroke, and diabetes, Bjork explains.

When you drink diet soda, you're not taking in any calories—but you're also not swallowing anything that does your body any good, either. The best no-calorie beverage? Plain old water, says Bjork. "Water is essential for many of our bodily processes, so replacing it with diet soda is a negative thing," she says. If it's the fizziness you crave, try sparkling water.

Early studies on aspartame and anecdotal evidence suggests that this artificial sweetener may trigger headaches in some people. "I have several clients who used to suffer from migraines and pinpointed their cause to diet soda," Bjork says.

Excessive soda drinking could leave you looking like a Breaking Bad extra, according to a case study published in the journal General Dentistry. The research compared the mouths of a cocaine-user, a methamphetamine-user, and a habitual diet-soda drinker, and found the same level of tooth erosion in each of them. The culprit here is citric acid, which weakens and destroys tooth enamel over time.

Using diet soda as a low-calorie cocktail mixer has the dangerous effect of getting you drunk faster than sugar-sweetened beverages, according to research from Northern Kentucky University. The study revealed that participants who consumed cocktails mixed with diet drinks had a higher breath alcohol concentration than those who drank alcohol blended with sugared beverages. The researchers believe this is because our bloodstream is able to absorb artificial sweetener more quickly than sugar.

A recent study presented at a the American Academy of Neurology meeting found that over the course of 10 years, people who drank more than four cups or cans of soda a day were 30% more likely to develop depression than those who steered clear of sugary drinks. The correlation held true for both regular and diet drinks, but researchers were sure to note that the risk appeared to be greater for those who primarily drank diet sodas and fruit punches. Although this type of study can't prove cause and effect, its findings are worth considering.

Women over 60 are already at a greater risk for osteoporosis than men, and Tufts University researchers found that drinking soda, including diet soda, compounds the problem. They discovered that female cola drinkers had nearly 4% lower bone mineral density in their hips than women who didn't drink soda. The research even controlled for the participants' calcium and vitamin D intake. Additionally, a 2006 study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that cola intake (all kinds, not just diet) was associated with low bone-mineral density in women.

Just one diet soft drink a day could boost your risk of having a vascular event such as stroke, heart attack, or vascular death, according to researchers from the University of Miami and Columbia University. Their study found that diet soda devotees were 43% more likely to have experienced a vascular event than those who drank none. Regular soda drinkers did not appear to have an increased risk of vascular events. Researchers say more studies need to be conducted before definitive conclusions can be made about diet soda's effects on health.

You pick healthy food, work out, and watch your waistline. That means you're healthy right? Not so fast--many people who are in tip-top shape (for now) have habits or beliefs that can put them at risk for illness or injury down the road.
    RGv2 wrote: »

^^^Yes, please do.

• RGv2
    Options

You obviously missed the toxic chicken from KFC.....where the toxin is the sodium bicarbonate.
  • glevinso
    Options
    That isn't evidence. That is an "article", and a pretty stupid one at that. It lacks actual facts and mistakes correlation for causation.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

You obviously missed the toxic chicken from KFC.....where the toxin is the sodium bicarbonate.

See and I wasn't sure if I could count those as two separate quotes. I think you can, because other people also said that the KFC chicken was evil - just the one chick elaborated and said it was because of the toxic baking soda. Adding evil chicken because of addictive chemicals to the list.

• WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    That isn't evidence. That is an "article", and a pretty stupid one at that. It lacks actual facts and mistakes correlation for causation.

I was able to trick my wife into believing there were indigenous people to Antarctica by using Google.