Small But Super Helpful Habits

Options

Replies

• healthy_hermione
    healthy_hermione Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I take a sip of water frequently and take the stairs instead of the elevators. I try and have a fruit/veggie with every meal and have meals that have good amounts of protein.

I like the idea of a food scale. I think I'm going to put that on my wishlist lol.
  • ashleynye8914
    ashleynye8914 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wha helps me is doing my best to scratch the condiments
    Black coffee is best but u add milk in the morning
    I'm not a fan of ketchup to begin with but I leave that off of everything and stick to mustard
    Cut the mayo when ever possible a little vinegar and olive oil or lemon juice can be so yummy
    Ask for no cheese
    All salad dressings on the side and with enough toppings a dressing sone times isn't needed
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Park in that furthest possible corner of every parking lot. Always take the stairs. Get on & off public transit a stop or two away from your destination. If you can walk there in less than a half hour skip the car. This little stuff totally adds up!
  • lovematthewchristopher
    Options
    I made lots of small changes and they have made a big difference. I cut out the soda everyday, i only have it once in awhile, started drinking more water, cut back on portions, cut back on the carbs, cut back on the sweets, move more. Clean the house dancing, move, move, move,get up and find things to do at night instead of sitting all night in front of the tv. Fold clothes, go for a walk, go up and down the stairs. The best change that i made was, making sure that whatever changes i do make, are sustainable in the long term. I wont cut out all the things that i love, i will just set myself up for failure. I eat everything in moderation. Good luck with your journey.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    AngiiPug wrote: »
    What helps me a lot is drinking cinnamon water in the morning. Before eating anything in the morning I drink my water. In the beggining it was nasty but now I'm used to it ! I just infuse cinnamon sticks in a teapot with water. Cinnamon makes you lose weight :)

Another thing is walking. Walk as much as you can! It makes a big difference in the end. I live a 10 min bus ride from the subway, but I walk instead of taking the bus and it takes me just 10-15min more. Even if the distance seems HUGE, often it's not so you might just try and walk (:
    Good luck!

How??
  • ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big breakfast eater, but when I started logging I found it caused me to stick to meals instead of grazing. That was always huge for me because since I didn't eat breakfast, I'd get hungry mid-morning and graze til noon. That's helped me.
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For me the biggest things are making my own meals and prepping my dinners for two weeks at a time (my breakfasts are usually the same so no planning there really), that way I know exactly what goes in there and can use the recipe builder on MFP to measure calories.

Also putting my foods into MFP for a few days before hand really helps to me know what I'll be eating when, or if I'm really busy I make sure to log everything that morning for the rest of the day.

Drinking lots of water is a recent change I made since I'm prone to dehydration (due to my forgetfulness and busy schedule), so I've upped my intake to 14 cups a day and feel far better than I normally do.

Not eating out very often is another change I've done. This is really helpful for me because some of the places I go to don't have nutritional menus and so I have no idea how much I'm eating (and some places like Olive Garden are ridiculous, 1500 calories for steak Gorgonzola?!) and if I do go out I usually plan for 700-800 calories to be left in my diary for that day for said meal with possible unknown calories.

• Maddelaineb
    Maddelaineb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A big thing for me was learning not to eat at the slightest hint of hunger. I had to learn to get used to feeling slightly hungry/neutral (not full) for maybe an hour or two before my next meal. I noticed I was wasting a lot of Calories on snacks between meals when I wasn't even that hungry. I know I can wait it out for a bit instead of wasting a couple hundred Calories. I do still have one snack a day, either before a workout when I haven't had a meal in a while or right after a workout when I know I'm not having another full meal for the rest of the day. Usually fruit and a plain coffee.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    A big thing for me was learning not to eat at the slightest hint of hunger. I had to learn to get used to feeling slightly hungry/neutral (not full) for maybe an hour or two before my next meal. I noticed I was wasting a lot of Calories on snacks between meals when I wasn't even that hungry. I know I can wait it out for a bit instead of wasting a couple hundred Calories. I do still have one snack a day, either before a workout when I haven't had a meal in a while or right after a workout when I know I'm not having another full meal for the rest of the day. Usually fruit and a plain coffee.
    I love this one! :)

The whole "wait until you're actually hungry" thing is something I had to remember, too. I forgot about that.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Choose the stairs over the escalator!

http://www.thefuntheory.com/piano-staircase
  • spinx212
    spinx212 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    drabbits3 wrote: »
    Eat as many fresh raw veggies as you can get down your throat! Every day I pack a baggie or tupperware with 3 cups of veggies--baby cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes, carrot slices, celery bites, raw green beans, raw broccoli or cauliflower. Not all of that in the same day, but a few things in the bag/container. That sits on my desk and I nibble on that throughout the day instead of the cookies/pastry/snacks that seem to appear in our teacher's lounge all day every day! Also water and unsweetened tea only--NEVER drink your calories. Also deciding what's worth spending your calories on--a poster above talked about not really liking donuts but eating them if they were "there"--stop doing that. Pick a few things you really love and would really miss and give up the rest of the crap. I LOVE cookies--love them--any and all cookies, so I give myself enough calories to have one at night with my tea. ONE, not five, ONE and really enjoy it!

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    AngiiPug wrote: »
    What helps me a lot is drinking cinnamon water in the morning. Before eating anything in the morning I drink my water. In the beggining it was nasty but now I'm used to it ! I just infuse cinnamon sticks in a teapot with water. Cinnamon makes you lose weight :)

Another thing is walking. Walk as much as you can! It makes a big difference in the end. I live a 10 min bus ride from the subway, but I walk instead of taking the bus and it takes me just 10-15min more. Even if the distance seems HUGE, often it's not so you might just try and walk (:
    Good luck!

How??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ6bzrqjo4M
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Did any of you super angry people note that everyone on here is just talking about things that helped them? Not a one of them has said, scientifically that everyone needs to do them to lose weight. it is just tips, hints, things that have made it possible for individuals to stay within their calorie goals. No one is saying that magically milk makes you skinny, or that cutting sugar makes you burn more calories. What they are saying is, "hey, this makes my life easier and works for me" For instance I keep a gallon of water on my desk and drink straight from the jug. Do I think this form of water consumption is for everyone? Or that it will make you suddenly drop a pant size? Hell no, but it makes it a very visual reminder to me that occasionally I should sit down my coffee and gulp some water so my body stays hydrated. You all take yourselves so extremely seriously that I think a group session of alanon might very well be in order.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    image.jpg

Or

latest?cb=20120921164818
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Did any of you super angry people note that everyone on here is just talking about things that helped them? Not a one of them has said, scientifically that everyone needs to do them to lose weight. it is just tips, hints, things that have made it possible for individuals to stay within their calorie goals. No one is saying that magically milk makes you skinny, or that cutting sugar makes you burn more calories. What they are saying is, "hey, this makes my life easier and works for me" For instance I keep a gallon of water on my desk and drink straight from the jug. Do I think this form of water consumption is for everyone? Or that it will make you suddenly drop a pant size? Hell no, but it makes it a very visual reminder to me that occasionally I should sit down my coffee and gulp some water so my body stays hydrated. You all take yourselves so extremely seriously that I think a group session of alanon might very well be in order.

I literally have no clue who you are talking about, "super angry people"... maybe projecting?...

I don't personally find this post helpful because it is literally overwhelming. It's like standing in line, and reading the headlines from every health magazine put out this past year, all at once. Small steps, grasshopper... learn the basics, and when you get them down, move on to fine tuning. Use a food scale. Weigh and log accurately. Meet your mfp macros goals. Lose weight. It is that simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NPBIwQyPWE
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Ah but you see, I am actually doing just fine with all of that. I log, I lose weight, I am right on target. But it is lots of fun to hear about ideas like squats in the bathroom my little brain says, why yes I can add that into my day and probably my *kitten* will look better! And no I am not projecting. it is hella frustrating though to come onto the forums and see every single thread overtaken by the same thing. I get that if you have been doing this for years and years you are also frustrated by all the "can I stop eating meat and turn into a waif?" and "if I drink cinnamon water I will instantly be a super model" But the fact is there are lots of us who are doing it all right and like the idea of incorporating new things into our already working system.

And if you don't find it helpful, well don't keep reading it? I don't find magazines about lamas helpful cause I don't have one, so I don't read the magazine :)
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Ah but you see, I am actually doing just fine with all of that. I log, I lose weight, I am right on target. But it is lots of fun to hear about ideas like squats in the bathroom my little brain says, why yes I can add that into my day and probably my *kitten* will look better! And no I am not projecting. it is hella frustrating though to come onto the forums and see every single thread overtaken by the same thing. I get that if you have been doing this for years and years you are also frustrated by all the "can I stop eating meat and turn into a waif?" and "if I drink cinnamon water I will instantly be a super model" But the fact is there are lots of us who are doing it all right and like the idea of incorporating new things into our already working system.

Yes, but I'm not the one who came in yelling at the "super angry people", whom I don't recall seeing post in this thread of late? Just because some people don't agree with it being stickied... IMHO only the truly best posts should be stickied, the rest will rise to the top when people post on them. No negativity or anger from me, just honesty. I post because I want to help people.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

And if you don't find it helpful, well don't keep reading it? I don't find magazines about lamas helpful cause I don't have one, so I don't read the magazine :)

Oh, and don't worry, I can decide for myself which posts to read, and which to reply to. Just like you can decide for yourself what you read and say.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Maybe it's just me but it seems that same advice could be beneficial for someone who finds certain posts or posters unhelpful, unsupportive, mean, and/or angry