Have a question? How about a live Q&A starting in 3, 2, 1... Go!

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options

Here's an excellent article from Eric Cressey that highlights this fact better than I ever could have:

http://www.ericcressey.com/15-static-stretching-mistakes

I just wanted to say thank you for posting that, some really helpful advice there!

Awesome, you're welcome!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Zyaedra wrote: »
    Hello Steve,

Thanks for this thread. Very enlightening stuff!

I have to ask, what are your thoughts on rowing? Do you think it's a good over-all workout or would you recommend supplementing it with something else--if so, what?

This is a pretty difficult question to answer if I'm being honest. Standing alone, no exercise can be judged as good or bad. Rowing, for example, might be a great form of exercise for certain people and a horrible form of exercise for other people. It's appropriateness is also going to vary based on things like goals, other physical demands being placed on the body, etc.

• stroutman81
    Options
    bonniejo wrote: »
    bonniejo wrote: »
    So I’ve just started a 3 day lifting plan (done 5 days so far and I really like it!) and I was wondering about supersetting ab exercises in to maximize my time. However, most ab stuff I know how to do involve getting on the floor, which is awkward in the weight area, or using a kettlebell or other weight, which I don’t want to do (I think my forearms and wrists are going to have the most trouble for the first few weeks, don’t want to overdo it grip wise).

I have come up with two exercises on my own (one balance and a one legged shoulder bridge dip using the bench), and was wondering if anyone has any other ideas. I already do lots of squats and lunges in my cardio class, so I don’t want to do those. Thanks!

Sorry, but I don't think I follow all of your questions.

I mean... I see the one about core in between your other resistance exercises. And to give you a general answer, I'd say it's fine so long as it's not interfering with your recovery and ability to exert maximal force next set.

In almost all of my programs (for myself or my clients) I'm relying on at least some supersetting.

I wouldn't feel awkward getting on the floor in the weight area. I don't train much anymore in public gyms, but I'd do it pretty regularly then. Or, if there's an area off to the side, just skip over there between sets.

I'm not sure what you mean by your forearms and wrists having trouble in the context of core exercises. Can you explain?

Then it looks like your post veers away from talking about core training as you bring squats and lunges and such into the mix. This is where I'm most confused. I'll say this, though... because you do squats and lunges in cardio routines, that doesn't mean you wouldn't be served doing them in strength training fashion. It's not the movement pattern that's driving the adaptation... it's the QUANTITY or MAGNITUDE of stress being delivered by the movement in question.

It's sort of like walking. Walking is really just short lunges, right? Well we all walk places. This doesn't mean we shouldn't do lunges in our resistance training routines.

Sorry about that! I guess I'm still not clear on what I should be doing super set wise. My trainer said to do some, and gave me an example, but we didn't have time to go over more. Whenever I google super set exercises they are all things like pull-ups or something else that requires weight, so I'm trying to stay away from that to give my arms time to recover. I have squats and lunges in my weight lifting routine on leg day. I guess those were just some body weight exercises that don't have to involve arms that came to mind as I was thinking of exercises to superset with.

Maybe I'll have to do some more reading, or just skip the supersets altogether until my next training session at the end of March.

Late to reply here, but hopefully you got some clarification from your trainer. Just so you can see an example, here's my workout from yesterday:

1a) Cambered Squats
    1b) Sumo press
    1c) Pull-ups
    2a) GHR
    2b) Weighted Ring push-ups
    3a) Skull Overs
    3b) Unilateral calf raises

The numbers signify groupings of exercises. So essentially I'm supersetting cambered squats, sump presses, and pull-ups in group 1. Group 2 contains glute ham raises and ring push-ups. Group 3 contains skull overs and calf raises.

This isn't meant to show you how you should train. Not at all actually. It's to show you how I'm personally using supersets right now.

Keep in mind that I could also do this same workout with no supersetting and get close to equal results. I'd just be in the gym a lot longer compared to when I'm supersetting things.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    This is all great!! Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I'll be around much of this evening if anyone wants to chat.