Deadlift Challenge

Options
usmcmp
usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
I shared this with my friends and some of them shared it with their friends, but I wanted to open this up to other members.

Jim Stoppani had challenged his followers on Facebook to deadlift 250 pounds for 25 reps. Those who took video of it and posted it got free lifetime membership to his website. I knew I could deadlift that much, but I didn't know if I could hit 25 reps. I decided to try it anyway.

Here was my attempt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Woh9kBLdI

After I completed it I learned that women only had to do 10 reps.

I plan on doing this challenge over again on December 1st and trying to beat my time. I have taken two months off from deadlifting since competing in the WPC-AWPC World Cup, so I am using the month of November to prepare for it to prevent injury.

I would love to see people attempt this challenge and post videos in this thread. I know a few have completed it already and many more are going to.

Replies

• usmcmp
    Options
    If you aren't quite up to 250 pounds you can challenge yourself by picking a weight that is heavy to you and attempting 25 reps. If 250 pounds is easy then pick something challenging.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ooof. Nicely done!!!

I pulled 70 reps at 165. I might try this- but that's a boat load of weight anda lot of cardio- I can't watch the video currently- how long did it take you?

I could do 10 reps- 25 would leave me sucking wind I suspect- but meh- I'd be willing to give it a go at some point. (After Nov 15- big show for dance- no room for injury at this point!)
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    You're a badass. Just stopped by to say so. I am no where near that level yet but I want IN to this <3
  • usmcmp
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    ooof.

I pulled 70 reps at 165. I might try- but that's a boat load of weight- I can't watch the video currently- how long did it take you?

I could do 10 reps- 25 would leave me sucking wind I suspect- but meh- I'd be willing to give it a go at some point.

The first time it took me 6 minutes. My new goal is 4 minutes, but I would really like to do it in 3. It's going to feel like cardio at that point.
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I might try this. Not sure about posting a video of me doing it tho. Nothing makes me look more like a beached whale than dead lifts.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Love the challenge idea! You made it look easy. :)
  • the_arghbowl
    the_arghbowl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Doing it tomorrow & will post when I'm done!
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    That is badass. And you don't have anything protecting your shins. Mine would be a bloody mess.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    That is so badass!! I am nowhere near this level, but it's super inspiring.

I did 195 for 32 yesterday. Almost barfed B)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    deadline?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    ooof.

I pulled 70 reps at 165. I might try- but that's a boat load of weight- I can't watch the video currently- how long did it take you?

I could do 10 reps- 25 would leave me sucking wind I suspect- but meh- I'd be willing to give it a go at some point.

The first time it took me 6 minutes. My new goal is 4 minutes, but I would really like to do it in 3. It's going to feel like cardio at that point.

nice- shoot for 4- work on three after- I have faith.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    what % of your 1RM is that?

Just curious how screwed I will be when I try it. ;)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I recently did 315 x 20, so I'm certain I could pull this off.

/e-stats, too lazy to make a video
  • usmcmp
    Options
    deadline?

I'm guessing this post will continue to pop up for a few months. I'd like to see people complete it within two months of coming across it.
  • usmcmp
    edited October 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    what % of your 1RM is that?

Just curious how screwed I will be when I try it. ;)

I pulled 341.5 at a competition, so about 75% of my last meet PR.

That video was done a while ago when my last PR was only 300.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Then I'll try to do it with my 0.75. Oh boy.

Not sure how to get it recorded though.
  • Original_Sinner
    Original_Sinner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Paul is taking part, he will also be doing it in december as he needs to get back on deadlifts. I however will not be taking part because well...because I won't be. Wish I was though!
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    awesome!
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    No way i could do .75 of 1RM for 25 reps. That's 25x360. Maybe if I had a couple of days.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    No way i could do .75 of 1RM for 25 reps. That's 25x360. Maybe if I had a couple of days.

The challenge was to do it all at once. You don't have to do it speed, but you can't walk away or stop the video. You could do 5 sets of 5 with a rest between as long as you don't walk away.