Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    what % of your 1RM is that?

Just curious how screwed I will be when I try it. ;)

If I remember, you're in the mid 400s? You could do 250x25 easy.

But yeah, I'm out on this one. Last deadlift challenge I did was BWxAMRAP (did 215x50) and I couldn't walk for about a week. High rep deadlifts are really dumb.

50 reps? Without rest and a high weight, probably really dumb. 25? Not that high. 5x5 programs have you doing 25 and many hypertrophy programs have you doing even more. There is no rule saying you can't take a break for 30 seconds to a minute.

Stronglifts tells you to do 1x5 on DL

I think this challenge is stupid and dangerous.
    That's so little volume.

Doing this challenge with poor conditioning and poor form is stupid and dangerous. Knowing what you're doing, and being conditioned for it and it's a walk in the park.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options

But yeah, I'm out on this one. Last deadlift challenge I did was BWxAMRAP (did 215x50) and I couldn't walk for about a week. High rep deadlifts are really dumb.

50 reps? Without rest and a high weight, probably really dumb. 25? Not that high. 5x5 programs have you doing 25 and many hypertrophy programs have you doing even more. There is no rule saying you can't take a break for 30 seconds to a minute.

I think ultra marathons are stupid and dangerous.
  • dbmata
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    TFW the OP and so many others in the thread are stronger than you.

I never do higher volume so I'm not sure how many I could do.

I get in 285x5

Biggest lift was 350x2 while weighing 153 lbs.

You would probably need a couple of weeks to work the endurance aspect since 25 is a long time to be lifting, but your strength would be adequate since there doesn't seem to be a requirement for them to be continuous unless I've missed something.

Yeah I guess, but I've never been into the endurance thing. The most reps I get in are 10-12 when I'm running an upper/lower split with 2 power and 2 hypertrophy days. Combined with the fact that I do no cardio, my endurance sucks.

What? No 100 rep hell workouts? >:)
    Heh, that day I did my 315 squat PR, it was rep 175 of a 187 rep day. ;)

Volume can be your friend, in the same way Peyote can be your friend. It opens your mind.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I want arms like doug miller. Legs too. Damn, gotta lift more.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

You don't have to do anything you think is either stupid or dangerous. There are plenty of things I don't do just because I don't like them. I don't like lunges. I don't do them. I did the 25 rep challenge at 2 times body weight and was really none the worse for wear. However, I have enough experience to know what is stupid or dangerous for me. That was neither.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Holy F!! You guys are amazing!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

And because SL has 1 x 5, then any other rep range is dangerous? And all other programs are wrong?

My routine just does singles. Therefore SL must be stupid and dangerous....

This is not part of a routine and so the example is completely irrelevant.

Many things can be dangerous and stupid.

As with any lifting, people should be aware of their own limitations and pay attention to form.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Hi rep deadlifts are an amazingly stupid idea, and just the sort of absolute nonsense that a supplement huckster like Stoppani would come up with.

People should really know better than this. It's just a recipe for lumbar problems.

People say high rep anything is incredibly stupid, but what's the difference between saying 25 reps and saying 5x5? It doesn't say you can't rest, you just can't walk away from the bar.

You do know there are German Volume deadlift programs that have worked very well for many successful lifters, right? 10x6, 10x10, 6x10, etc.

If you rest you are not doing a continuous challenge, you are doing a series of sets.

GVT is very hard, which is why you start with loads of 60% of 1RM or lighter, which you typically do for 10 sets of 10 reps with adequate rest in-between them. It is not an all out 'lift a weight that's too heavy for you as many times as you can with bad form and no breaks' challenge.

Although, in fairness, if this is something you do maybe once a month, and you're not doing anything daft like high rep squats after it, knock yourself out. Just be very careful of your form.

Well, I've already completed it once (I posted the video of that in the OP). It's also a challenge, not a workout. Challenges are meant to be done outside of a normal workout. I did this about a year ago and I'll be doing it again in December, as I mentioned, to ensure that I complete it injury free. I didn't tell people to rush out and do it tomorrow and try to do it as fast as possible. My video was an example, showing people that I did take breaks when needed.

This isn't crossfit. We aren't doing Diane (225 deadlift for 21, 15, 9) or Elizabeth (Clean 135 for 21, 15, 9) or Grace (Clean and jerk 135 for 30 reps for time) or Isabel (Snatch 135 for 30 reps for time). This is a one time 25 rep challenge and there's no push to do it fast or do it as a single set.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Hi rep deadlifts are an amazingly stupid idea, and just the sort of absolute nonsense that a supplement huckster like Stoppani would come up with.

People should really know better than this. It's just a recipe for lumbar problems.

Well that's sweet and all, But Doug is either a genetic freak or being a bit dishonest about being natural. In addition, his form is pretty good up until the 30th rep, and he's lifting only about 60% of his 1RM in that Vid (his DLPR is about 660 pounds as I recall). I'm going to bet you that most of the form and loading used by people trying this 'challenge' will be poor and too heavy, and that more than a few of them will be walking like an arthritic grandma for weeks afterwards.

Unless you really know what you're doing it's a dumb challenge. Actually, even if you do it's still dumb.

I already mentioned the bolded part. If you're not confident you can move "X" weight let alone for "X" reps and you try... you're a moron to begin with.

What does it matter if he is a genetic freak? What does it matter if he is natural or not? You're unable to be injured if you're not natural?

250 would be about 60% of my 1rm too.

• LolBroScience
    Options

Well that's sweet and all, But Doug is either a genetic freak or being a bit dishonest about being natural. In addition, his form is pretty good up until the 30th rep, and he's lifting only about 60% of his 1RM in that Vid (his DLPR is about 660 pounds as I recall). I'm going to bet you that most of the form and loading used by people trying this 'challenge' will be poor and too heavy, and that more than a few of them will be walking like an arthritic grandma for weeks afterwards.

Unless you really know what you're doing it's a dumb challenge. Actually, even if you do it's still dumb.

I already mentioned the bolded part. If you're not confident you can move "X" weight let alone for "X" reps and you try... you're a moron to begin with.

What does it matter if he is a genetic freak? What does it matter if he is natural or not? You're unable to be injured if you're not natural?

Then why the video? Doug is hardly representative of your average MFP punter, is he? My point is that Doug can do that because:

1) He's a genetic freak who has the natural strength and dimensions to do repeated DLs, or
    2) He's juicing.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it's 1). Bottom line is he ain't like us.

As it happens, 250 is about 60% of mine too.

For people who know what they're doing, like the OP, it's an interesting challenge. I'd be really cautious of recommending it to folk who don't.

But hey, it's not my spine.

She isn't recommending it. She tossed it out there for anyone to take part in it if they so choose.

You're missing my point, forget the 405 lbs. He pulled a heavy weight for 30 reps in a single set with no injury. Whether or not he's on gear or if he's a genetic freak, it's possible to do even as a natural.

This is not that insane of a challenge. It's not as if the challenge is a highly technical Olympic lift all done with no rest one set.
  • usmcmp
    edited October 2014
    Options

Then why the video? Doug is hardly representative of your average MFP punter, is he? My point is that Doug can do that because:

1) He's a genetic freak who has the natural strength and dimensions to do repeated DLs, or
    2) He's juicing.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it's 1). Bottom line is he ain't like us.

For people who know what they're doing, like the OP, it's an interesting challenge. I'd be really cautious of recommending it to folk who don't.

I'd be really cautious of recommending running a marathon for the average MFP person too.

We know that people are dumb, but I'm not going to put a disclaimer on the challenge. It's not like people do every challenge they come across. If they did this site would be full of raw, vegan, clean, paleo, water cleanse, shakeology members.
  • usmcmp
    Options

2) He's juicing.

She isn't recommending it. She tossed it out there for anyone to take part in it if they so choose.

You're missing my point, forget the 405 lbs. He pulled a heavy weight for 30 reps in a single set with no injury. Whether or not he's on gear or if he's a genetic freak, it's possible to do even as a natural.

This is not that insane of a challenge. It's not as if the challenge is a highly technical Olympic lift all done with no rest one set.

Don't forget that another member posted a video of her doing this challenge already. 250 is twice her body weight. That's two women who have deadlifted 250 pounds for 25 reps, both without injury.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

In which case, 250 should feel like a warm up (and x 25 very should feel very manageable).
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

2) He's juicing.

That's a good way to pass out under a bar. :D
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

And because SL has 1 x 5, then any other rep range is dangerous? And all other programs are wrong?

As with any lifting, people should be aware of their own limitations and pay attention to form.

Your last sentence is spot on with why I made that post...I knew I shouldn't really be doing alot of DL due to my lower back issues. But I went ahead and did 4x8 yesterday and my back gave out, now having to rest it and not workout.

So yes for me I do consider it very stupid and dangerous and should have listened to myself.

If anyone wants to lift a high weight for high reps, go ahead!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Your last sentence is spot on with why I made that post...I knew I shouldn't really be doing alot of DL due to my lower back issues. But I went ahead and did 4x8 yesterday and my back gave out, now having to rest it and not workout.

So yes for me I do consider it very stupid and dangerous and should have listened to myself.

If anyone wants to lift a high weight for high reps, go ahead!!

It sounds as if it would be a stupid thing for you to do. Your statement was a blanket one and not qualified to apply to just yourself.
  • the_arghbowl
    the_arghbowl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/kK00CcvWu2Y There you go, guys. 25 at 255. Going to try and beat my time later this month and try 25 x 275 December 1st.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    http://youtu.be/kK00CcvWu2Y There you go, guys. 25 at 255. Going to try and beat my time later this month and try 25 x 275 December 1st.

nice work
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    How the hell do you folks do 25 reps and not end with bloody shins? If I don't cover my shins with something, I am a bloody mess after 5 reps.