Sugar Problems

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    my position, and the position I see most commonly, is that if a certain food causes binges for you then cut it out at least for awhile. But the food itself is not poison or toxic in reasonable amounts. And in unreasonable amounts everything is poison or toxic.

Yes, I think this is right and it's the advice I usually see. Sometimes eliminating foods contributes to binging issues, however, so a lot of people see the ultimate goal as working on the underlying problems that cause specific foods to be triggers.

I don't binge on food, but I certainly have had issues with overeating, and for me it's extremely easy to overeat steak and other non-carby foods (cheese, for example). It's also easy for me to overeat certain kinds of tasty (to my taste) sweet baked goods, like really
    good homemade cookies. I don't find that carbs (or sugar) is the main culprit in the variety of foods I get tempted to overeat (or might indulge in for some stress eating), and therefore I notice when others seem to want to apply their own personal experiences to everyone (sugar or carbs make people lose control or whatever).

I think a lot of binge behaviour is wraped up in emotional eating since most foods that people binge on would be described as "comfort foods". If you don't deal with those triggers it's pretty hard to avoid binging in the future the way I see it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    helenanj wrote: »
    Hi All!

My name is Helena. This is my third time on Fitness Pal. I've been doing okay not tracking food/exercise for a while but not lately, as extra 11lbs are now showing.

I eat well, trying to stick to the 80/20 rule. My one problem seems to be the sugar intake. It's usually simple sugars from fruit but still. How do I eat my fruits and veggies without going over my sugar limits?

Whenever I track my food intake I am usually well under my calorie limit but over my sugars.

What am I doing wrong?
    Do you have any ideas for veg/fruit/snack foods low in sugar?
    Please help!
    :)

Thank you!

It sounds like maybe you need to eat more vegetables and less fruit per day. Both are healhty, but in general vegetables have less sugar. Berries are lower sugar fruits.

And perhaps eat more fat, since you are "well under" your calories.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    To induce substantial rates of carbohydrate conversion into fat, the body’s total glycogen
    stores must be considerably raised, from their usual 4-6 g/kg
    body wt to > 8-10 g/kg body wt. This requires deliberate
    and sustained ovenconsumption of large amounts of carbohydrates for 2-3 d

That's perhaps a better number.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited November 2014
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    The average capacity for glycogen storage is 15g/kg, over twice the maintenance calories of the average human.

Hmm. Only yesterday I read that the liver doesn't contain enough glycogen to fuel the brain for a day.

Muscle glycogen can only serve the muscle it's in of course, which may explain the discrepancy.

Interesting, but it may have to do with the fact that about 30% of the brain can run only on glucose and the brain is the largest consumer of glucose in the body. Seems that 160g of glucose is required per day and 120g is brain use (this does not include keto adapted individuals who could be substituting upto 70% of glucose with ketones).

The following link gives some more details http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22591/ and it seems about 20g of glucose is in circulation while 190g is in storage at any time. If the total glycogen capacity is 15g/kg then there would be a huge excess capacity available for more storage.

ETA hmm, seems I changed my thought pattern midcourse but I got sidetracked in some interesting stuff. I think you might be right that most of it is stored in the muscle but the liver can certainly create glucose as required.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    The 15 g/kg number comes from here:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/48/2/240.long

The subjects in this study were lean males, which could account for the discrepancy. The main point still stands, though: one does not have full glycogen stores in a caloric deficit.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    The average capacity for glycogen storage is 15g/kg, over twice the maintenance calories of the average human.

Hmm. Only yesterday I read that the liver doesn't contain enough glycogen to fuel the brain for a day.

Muscle glycogen can only serve the muscle it's in of course, which may explain the discrepancy.

Interesting, but it may have to do with the fact that about 30% of the brain can run only on glucose and the brain is the largest consumer of glucose in the body. Seems that 160g of glucose is required per day and 120g is brain use (this does not include keto adapted individuals who could be substituting upto 70% of glucose with ketones).

The following link gives some more details http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22591/ and it seems about 20g of glucose is in circulation while 190g is in storage at any time. If the total glycogen capacity is 15g/kg then there would be a huge excess capacity available for more storage.

The brain can function on 30g of glucose with the remainder of fuel a mix of Ketones and lactate, as it can on being mainly fueled on glucose.

As yet I have not seen any studies showing that a long term diet of low carbs, high fat will cause the brain to function a lesser degree of efficiency!
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    The 15 g/kg number comes from here:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/48/2/240.long

The subjects in this study were lean males, which could account for the discrepancy. The main point still stands, though: one does not have full glycogen stores in a caloric deficit.

Does not have? or cannot have?

• yarwell
    edited November 2014
    Options

Indeed, or when in calorie balance. The study said overfeeding carbs for 2 days was required to fill them up didn't it ?

The liver looks to hold about 400 calories which is available for the brain or other organs / muscles http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/the-bodyrsquos-fuel-sources
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

The brain can function on 30g of glucose with the remainder of fuel a mix of Ketones and lactate, as it can on being mainly fueled on glucose.

As yet I have not seen any studies showing that a long term diet of low carbs, high fat will cause the brain to function a lesser degree of efficiency!

No, and I have never said this nor have I seen anything that suggests this except in the transition from glucose burning to keto adaptation.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Indeed, or when in calorie balance. The study said overfeeding carbs for 2 days was required didn't it ?

Precisely. Thus tennisdude's assertion that DNL occurs in a caloric deficit is preposterous.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

No, and I have never said this nor have I seen anything that suggests this except in the transition from glucose burning to keto adaptation.

Sorry, I'm lost!!

I didn't say you said it - I'm saying it!

And I'm just making a statement that I have yet to see any studies this is not the case.

• Wheelhouse15
    Options

Sorry, I'm lost!!

I didn't say you said it - I'm saying it!

And I'm just making a statement that I have yet to see any studies this is not the case.

I agree and I'm just clarifying my position as well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    my position, and the position I see most commonly, is that if a certain food causes binges for you then cut it out at least for awhile. But the food itself is not poison or toxic in reasonable amounts. And in unreasonable amounts everything is poison or toxic.

Yes, I think this is right and it's the advice I usually see. Sometimes eliminating foods contributes to binging issues, however, so a lot of people see the ultimate goal as working on the underlying problems that cause specific foods to be triggers.

I don't binge on food, but I certainly have had issues with overeating, and for me it's extremely easy to overeat steak and other non-carby foods (cheese, for example). It's also easy for me to overeat certain kinds of tasty (to my taste) sweet baked goods, like really
    good homemade cookies. I don't find that carbs (or sugar) is the main culprit in the variety of foods I get tempted to overeat (or might indulge in for some stress eating), and therefore I notice when others seem to want to apply their own personal experiences to everyone (sugar or carbs make people lose control or whatever).

I think a lot of binge behaviour is wraped up in emotional eating since most foods that people binge on would be described as "comfort foods". If you don't deal with those triggers it's pretty hard to avoid binging in the future the way I see it.

I agree with this. I'd say the same whether it's addictive or not (although I don't think it is physically addictive), in fact.
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    right, now we have that out of the way. OP just try eating more veggies and lower sugar fruits if you're a bit worried about sugar. Also eating lots of whole grains is always good :) Berries are my fave low sugar fruits as they still taste sweet and delicious!
  • yarwell
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Mitzimum wrote: »
    Also eating lots of whole grains is always good

if you're a bird. How many humans eat whole grains regularly, without them being processed into flour first ?