WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Sally, your dog is just beautiful! And so are you, by the way.

I called the vet's office this morning and was told he was out of town till Tuesday of next week. They recommended we go to another vet, but hubby looked at the gash this morning and thinks it's not as bad as we first thought. More like a scratch really. Whippets have very thin skin, like tissue paper, and it tears easily. She's had stitches more times than I want to remember. So, I guess we aren't going to take her for stitches this time. We have to take them all for boarding tomorrow as we are going on a little trip to Columbia Missouri for a chemistry conference. We'll be back on Friday.

So today I'm researching dog training to see if I can find some help dealing with Molly's aggression. It's long overdue.

Tonight is a basketball practice and a choir practice, so I'm taking one DGD to basketball and my son is taking the other to choir. It will be late before I get home for dinner tonight. I got hubby some Tyson Grilled and Ready Pulled Pork thinking he could have that for dinner on nights I was going to be late. Well, we tried it last night and it is just awful. It looks nothing like the picture at all, it's really fatty and tough, and tastes really bad. Tyson found a way to sell their scraps. It's going back to WalMart. I've decided to start a blog posting pictures of food packages and the food that is really inside. My son is going to help me.

Alison, saying he's sorry means nothing. It's just more manipulation. That's what abusers do. I used to believe it when I heard it too.

Well, I have to do something constructive today. Have a great Tuesday!

Sylvia

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,292 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies! :flowerforyou:

DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD!

We have just made a coffee and walnut cake togetherand I am not happy with it! :sad:
    The recipe called for too much liquid coffee and it was not strongly flavoured enough. :grumble: The butter icing also had too much liquid, I should have known better, but I trusted the chef who wrote the recipe. :grumble: I have deleted the bookmark.
    DH said the cake was fine and tasted good, although it wasn't the best coffee cake he'd ever had. I wouldn't serve it to guests, but will cut it up and serve it to DH for his teas. Next time I will stick with Nigella, who I have now bookmarked. :laugh:

Once again - DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD,!
    - I must not beat myself up over not achieving perfection.
    - On the good side, the sour dough bread I made looks amazing! With my new KitchenAid it comes out twice the size! This one wins the prize. It is going in the freezer for guests. :bigsmile: I am having to buy a new bigger proving basket as it overflows my old one. Joy! :drinker:
    - I will attach a photo later! :bigsmile:

Did yoga today so I know I will be a bit over calories today. I could go upstairs and do some rowing, but I don't feel like it. :ohwell:
    Tonight is hake with a pesto crust, roasted butternut squash and mushy peas. I will still be in losing mode so all is fine.
    Going to try to get DH to dye my hair roots tomorrow. Fed up with paying a fortune just to paint on a bit of dye. He used to do it for his previous partner so I guess he can manage. :tongue:

Love to all. Heather in rainy Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    My sour dough loaf! It is one third rye, one third wholemeal and one third white flour. I have been nurturing the starter for years.
    krbkexfite51.jpg
  • henseybrown
    henseybrown Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Gail, I live in Santa Cruz CA.
    I like many have been losing and gaining weight most of my adult life, and now, once again, back to my highest weight :'( ... I've tried different "diets" but don't believe in them. My fitness Pal is something that has been the best measure of my habits, and has kept me honest... providing I journal my food everyday... by joining a message board I'm hoping it keeps me checking in daily, I need the support, I know how to eat properly I just need to stay motivated and feel good about myself. Thanks for being here ladies, I look forward to getting to know you. :D
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Here is today's joke of the day:

:)

A man wrote a letter to the IRS: “I have been unable to sleep knowing that I have cheated on my income tax. I understated my taxable income and have enclosed a check for $200.00. If I still can’t sleep, I will send the rest.”

:D
  • mollywhippet
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you have a minute, please check this out and tell me what you think.

http://truefoodphotos.blogspot.com/

I just googled True Food and found out there is a chain of restaurants with that name. Hmmm. I hope that won't be an issue.

Good idea or bad idea? This is just my first post. I'm hoping other people will send in photos too.

Thanks,

Sylvia
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Veteran`s Day.I think about my dad,God rest his soul who served.And my oldest son who served and was in Afhganistan,the longest year of my life.
    hugs
    jane
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Rita: You are doing the right things. I'm sorry your DH behaves selfishly and sorry that it is a problem for Alison, too. It makes it tough for the partner when selfishness is a regular mode of behavior. It is good to hear that you’re feeling better after surgery. :flowerforyou:

Kim: It sounds like your girlfriend is trying to do something nice for you by organizing your spices, and that is sweet. You can mess them up again later (back to your style) if you don’t like her system. I agree that AARP is a good organization and we’ve been members for ages. I didn’t see the sleep article until you posted it, and I’m soooo grateful you did. :heart: I’ve had three nights of uninterrupted sleep for the first time in a couple of years. DH is a love, but he snores and gets up several times a night. Since reading the article, we’ve taken turns in the guest room and I’ve had at least 8 hours of sleep three nights in a row! :bigsmile: I feel BETTER! I’m getting myself back. :heart: :flowerforyou:

Alison: I’m a sailor and am going to run with your sailing analogy for a moment. When the wind dies and the current is against you, a good course of action is to anchor and wait for the tide to bring a fresh breeze. Sometimes waiting for wind is not the best choice because it is taking too long, so you turn on the motor or get out the oars and keep going. If you have friends nearby, sometimes you all decide to wait it out together. Sometimes you must abandon ship to save yourself. We’re here for you no matter what you need to do. Hugs. Poking pins into bad DH voodoo dolls might be a way to vent though it won’t solve the problem of his selfishness. :devil: Sending hugs. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: One dogfight can be forgiven, but not if it becomes a pattern. Keep an eye on things and you’ll figure it out. Maybe they’re working out who is boss. On another topic, I LOVE today’s IRS joke. :flowerforyou:

Sue in SD: You had quite a challenging day at the pool. It sounds like you handled everything very well. Today we’re having a very windy day here, too. As for snow, we haven’t even had frost yet. :noway: :flowerforyou:

Barb from S LA: I appreciate your comments to Terri about caring for failing parents. You are absolutely right in reminding her to take care of herself, too. I did what I was able to do when each of my parents were failing, and I wish I’d been there for them in their final moments. I know I did my best and still wish I’d done better after nearly 20 years. We have to forgive ourselves for being neither omnipotent nor omniscient. :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Heather: Your sourdough loaf is gorgeous. Will you share the recipe? What is wholemeal? :heart:

I’ve had yoga today AND there is a possible light at the end of the tunnel. My teacher may have found a replacement for herself when she stops teaching for good in December. The new woman will join us for some sessions in the near future and we’ll all see how it goes. There is hope! :bigsmile: :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

November Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• cityjaneLondon
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Great idea Sylvia! I hope you get lots of contributors. We have an Advertising Standards Authority - is there anything like that in the States? Things have to be a true description or they can be prosecuted. I don't suppose it happens very often though.
    - Just a thought - could anyone sue you for bringing them into disrepute? I guess not if what you are posting is a true representation.
    - Heather :flowerforyou:

Katla - I think you say whole wheat! Have you got a sour dough starter?
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is having a thoughtful Armistice, Veterans' and Remembrance Day;
    As usual our ceremony is the same, except we had Princess Anne to rededicate the memorial to include Aphganistan and Boer War vets. 100 years after the start of the First Great War. It has been warm, up to about 60F, and sunny, and hard to believe that
    snow is due in 2 days.

Have a good day today, and a good week.

BMcQ
    in the heart of Southwestern Ontario
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi gals. I'm too exhausted to chat. Baby Nikita gained about an ounce, so no hospital. I'll try to get hubby to help me upload a couple of pics later tonight. Take care, Meg
  • LovingLifeLivingHealthy
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome Rita!! I'm Kathy in PA.

Welcome Gail in CA. I'm new too. Also know what to do but the accountability HELPS me. I've lost with Weight Watchers when I go. The accountability of getting on the scale in front of someone. I've tried filling out the mfp for months and points seems to work better and quicker for me. But on here for some mutual support and motivation. Thanks! Kathy in PA
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Wednesday morning here and slept well.
    Got up and did 40 mins Wii Gold's boxing, then Jeannette's Cardio kick-boxing shortly, 1 hour walk after lunch.
    I had got to end of clothes and trainers so started again with ne mini me after I had done 30 mins. Keeps me motivated. Ex cals = 1027. Logged food and it is 1712 cals. room to add if needed.
    We did a big shop yesterday and enjoyed lunch at favourite cafe.
    I watched Rememberance Servicice from Canberra on TV. Reminded me of time in army and all the practicing
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,753 Member
    Options
    Heather your bread looks scrumptious~~~
    Katla~ I like the vodoo doll , hmmm >:)
    well went to see the DFIL today, the neds they have him on to keep him from getting to frisky,have him a bit out of it, it is so he cant get himself out of bed and to use the toilet, so will maybe play around with the meds to get him a little more with it. will check with them tomorrow as his sisters and I are supposed to take him out.. but Donna(nurse)said it might not be easy to get him in and out of the car.. so we shall see..
    tomorrow I dont go into work until 1, so will try and get some form of exercise in...

`
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,071 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Good Evening Friends,
    welcome.gif Newcomers. Glad to see others are finding us. We missed you.

talk.gif

Sylvia rofl.gif

Needed that laugh. I spent 45 minutes chipping the ice off the driveway today and 15 minutes shoveling it. :explode:

Today cleared the driveway to reduce the risk of falling when I walk outside.

smiley-bounce017.gif for all the friends reaching their health goals.

2014 word:contentment not as content today with the ice picking!

rose.gifMNMargaret

• megblair1
    Options
  • megblair1
    Options
    Baby Nikita and I lounging on the couch. It's not sideways; we are lying down!
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Lesley in Tasmania - Sounds like you live a very active life. One of these days I'm going to have to buy a WII for DH and I to exercise with. Sounds like great fun!

Barbie from NW Washington - It sounds like you and Jake have a wonderful friendship in your marriage! You, also, seem to be very disciplined with you food.

Joyce from Indiana - I am laughing about your DH and wanting to keep things. I need you and Michelle to come and help me get rid of the things I'm holding on to! LOL! I think my hoarding habits are a lot like your DH!

Sylvia - you will get back on track. We are here for you!

grandmallie - Glad you were able to sleep well. I have the hardest time sleeping if I've argued with anyone, even when I'm right! What happened to your foot? Hope it feels better soon. Sounds like you have a very busy day. It is so sweet of you to bring DH's aunts to see your DFIL. Good luck on the interview with Hospice. You seem to be just the kind of person they need! I've read about you going to Florida. I've probably missed the story. Who all is going and what's the occasion?

LovingLifeLivingHealthy - Welcome to the group. I'm relatively new as well. This is an awesome support group! We're glad to have you!

Rita in CT - Glad you are feeling better!

Sylvia - You sound like you are a big help with your DGDs.

Heather - I used to LOVE to cook and bake. Now I'm just too scared to do any of it because I WILL EAT IT ALL! I am so proud of you and the way that you can control yourself. I want to be just like you when I grow up! LOL!

Gail - Welcome to the group. You've come to the right place if you want support. I'm pretty new and I really am happy that I found this group.

Katla - You are right, we have to learn to forgive ourselves for not being perfect.

Meg - Awesome news about Nikita and what an awesome picture. She is beautiful. Congratulations!

Margaret MN - So just how many calories did you burn from shoveling the ice! That is really, really hard work. The only way that this southern girl knows is because we visited my daughter in Colorado in February!

Went to my internist today for a routine 6 month check-up. I brought him the diary printouts, weight loss, and calorie reports. He was really happy that I'd found this site and said that he's pleased with my plan. It was really painful to realize that I'd gained 11 pounds since my last visit to him in May. This is despite the fact that I've lost almost 15 lbs since October 6th. Well, on the positive side, at least I'm on the right track now.

On the way home, I stopped by Fresh Pickins (fresh produce stand) and bought lots of fresh veggies and cooked some for dinner. I had to laugh at myself while I was there. I'd find myself looking at something, my mouth would water, and I'd move my vision to something else. At the checkout stand, there was fresh honey still on the honeycomb. OMG that was hard! I kept remembering that my dad would harvest honey when we were kids and how good it was chewing on the honeycomb. So I bought myself some green bean chips to chew on! LOL! It wasn't exactly the same, but at least my urge to chew on something passed.

Wishing all of you a wonderful evening and a great day tomorrow. Stay true to yourselves.

Hugs to all!

Barb from South Louisiana

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,071 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Meg,
    smiley-angelic010.gif

Barb I must have burned many calories if how tired I feel is any indication. :yawn:

rose.gifMNMargaret
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Meg,

AWWWWWWWW!!!!