Getting discouraged. Lean bulk or cut? What should I do?

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    va_01 wrote: »
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    The gym is now becoming a place I dread. Maybe it was just a bad workout, but my lifts fell quite a bit tonight. It's hard to see so many people make so much progress yet here I am 3 years later with nothing to really show. I will continue on, and forgive me for venting. I need to cut this fat, but I feel like I'm getting weaker.

Is it normal to be s little weaker/more tired on a cut? I have heard so many people make gains while cutting. Why can't I for once just make progress?

My lifts drop a bit towards the end of my cutting. They bounce back quickly when you start your bulk.

This exactly. Don't get discouraged, just keep at it!

Yes, entirely normal. Do the best you can to keep intensity high. Are you following the programming as is or still modifying it?

I've been following the program as I've done it. Should I switch over? Even in the middle of a cut?

What are you goals right now? You need to look at your priorities and answer that yourself. If you are trying to lean down you must accept that you could and probably will lose strength but if you want to gain strength and muscle you will probably need to gain some fat as well. So you need to understand how your diet and exercise goals affect each other and decide what goal is more important to you right now.
  • va_01
    va_01 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Earlier in the thread, didn't you mention you were playing around with the reps and sets? Or am I making that up?

Yeah I was beginning to swap/alternate 8x10 and 5x5
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Earlier in the thread, didn't you mention you were playing around with the reps and sets? Or am I making that up?

whoa 8x10?

What I'm trying to figure out is how much volume you have going on.
  • va_01
    Options

whoa 8x10?

What I'm trying to figure out is how much volume you have going on.

I thought I had posted it earier.

A/B style workout:

A:
    Squats
    Bench
    One arm db row
    Lat db raises
    Shrugs
    Tri press down
    Rear delt flies

B:
    DL (haven't in a few weeks)
    Overhead press
    Lat pull down
    Close grip db (or) bench press
    Cable row
    Db curls
    Push ups

All main compounds I began to swap 5x5 or 8x10. For the accessory I have tried to get 8-10x3
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    You're doing 8 sets of 10.... on each core lift?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Not to mention squat and bench on the same day. That's huge energy output.
  • va_01
    Options

Yes :-/ I've only really been doing it the past 2 weeks or so
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Ok, WAY too high volume to begin with, ESPECIALLY while in a deficit.

Drop that back to the 5x5 and see how you feel. Follow the program as is...Are you totally drained after those sessions?
  • va_01
    Options

Ok, WAY too high volume to begin with, ESPECIALLY while in a deficit.

Drop that back to the 5x5 and see how you feel. Follow the program as is...Are you totally drained after those sessions?

Well its tough to gauge because I do and I dont. I want to do so much before, but physically I almost fail at the end of, say, bench press. If I fail a few reps early I want to throw in a light weight of more reps
  • LolBroScience
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yea dude, cut that volume down... You shouldn't be missing reps, training to failure every set etc. You're going to run yourself into the ground. That volume is definitely going to play a role in your recovery, especially while at a deficit...
  • va_01
    Options
    Yea dude, cut that volume down... You shouldn't be missing reps, training to failure every set etc. You're going to run yourself into the ground.

I've trained to failure basically my whole experience lifting. Is that not a good idea? That's what I was always told.

Yeah last week I got 155x8x2, 155x7x1 last week on bench then this week I got 155x8x1, 155x7x1, 155x5x1 so I threw in 90x5x2 at the end...
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Yea dude, cut that volume down... You shouldn't be missing reps, training to failure every set etc. You're going to run yourself into the ground.

I've trained to failure basically my whole experience lifting. Is that not a good idea? That's what I was always told.

Yeah last week I got 155x8x2, 155x7x1 last week on bench then this week I got 155x8x1, 155x7x1, 155x5x1 so I threw in 90x5x2 at the end...

It's not necessary for strength or size gains. Doing it too frequently can even have a negative impact.

Follow that program as is. 5x5 for the main lifts with the progression scheme that is laid out, and whatever sets & reps are called for on the accessories. More isn't always better.
  • va_01
    Options

It's not necessary for strength or size gains. Doing it too frequently can even have a negative impact.

Follow that program as is. 5x5 for the main lifts with the progression scheme that is laid out, and whatever sets & reps are called for on the accessories. More isn't always better.

I guess I don't know how to train not to failure then. I thought the point was to push until you can't snymore and if you have anything in the tank left, you should have pushed harder?? That's what I was always told. But I trust your opinion, so I'm interested in knowing why
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think you may be overtrained. Might want to consider a deload week.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

I guess I don't know how to train not to failure then. I thought the point was to push until you can't snymore and if you have anything in the tank left, you should have pushed harder?? That's what I was always told. But I trust your opinion, so I'm interested in knowing why

Train smarter, not harder. If you follow the template as is, the reps and progression are laid out for you. You shouldn't be training to absolute failure - especially on every set.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Train smarter, not harder. If you follow the template as is, the reps and progression are laid out for you. You shouldn't be training to absolute failure - especially on every set.

That's a great point.

For example, I'm doing Wendler's 5/3/1 for my main lifts and the reps for week one of the cycles are 5, 5, 5+. Note the + is only on the last set, not the first two. If you're lifting 3x8-12 (which is good for hypertrophy, which I believe is your goal), you should be lifting heavy enough so that more often than not you don't hit that 12. Once you are able to hit 3x12, you move up in weight so that you're struggling again. Does that make sense?

ETA: This is just an example of one method, not the end all be all of lifting.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    @LOLBroScience
    Damn, extra 24 lbs, looks good on you.
    Nice work big man
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    @LOLBroScience
    Damn, extra 24 lbs, looks good on you.
    Nice work big man

Thanks brother!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Welcome
    Wish I could get your quads. :D

When will you start your cut?
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    Welcome
    Wish I could get your quads. :D

When will you start your cut?

I'm thinking mid January after the holidays, my birthday, and wrapping up this 13 week training cycle. I'm hoping to top out at like 195 lbs... trying to keep the gains fairly slow on purpose. That'll mark a year in a surplus too!