30 Day Shred

Options

Replies

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I did it... yes I got bored out of my tree doing it, but I do love Jillian Michaels, so I stuck to it. The way I got through it was literally setting my alarm 40 mins early, rolling out of bed in the morning, putting on the dvd and going at it. I managed to finish it in September, went on to 21 day fix (which I'm in LOVE with) and I'm now doing Insanity (love this even more!). For me, I find that if I do my workouts in the morning, i don't have to think about them for the rest of the day. If I wait, I still do it, but I make up excuses in my head as to why I don't 'need' to do it.

Roll out of bed and you're not quite thinking straight anyway, right?

That's what I do...roll out of bed at 5, am standing in front of the TV yawning at 5:15, but I'm done by 5:45 and I don't have to think about it for the rest of the day. I'm surprised by how much I don't hate it. Did day 9 level 1 today. I'm getting bored, but I'm going to move on to level 2 soon -- as soon as I can do the "manly" push ups and all the side-lunge-shoulder-press thingies without pausing!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    not shoulder press...anterior raises...that's what I meant
  • AniLandSmiles
    AniLandSmiles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I did it... yes I got bored out of my tree doing it, but I do love Jillian Michaels, so I stuck to it. The way I got through it was literally setting my alarm 40 mins early, rolling out of bed in the morning, putting on the dvd and going at it. I managed to finish it in September, went on to 21 day fix (which I'm in LOVE with) and I'm now doing Insanity (love this even more!). For me, I find that if I do my workouts in the morning, i don't have to think about them for the rest of the day. If I wait, I still do it, but I make up excuses in my head as to why I don't 'need' to do it.

Roll out of bed and you're not quite thinking straight anyway, right?

I have the same philosophy. I get up at 4:00, get on my exercise clothes, and get to it. If I get it out of the way, I don't have to think about it for the rest of the day. With 3 kids, if I wait until later after they wake up, it probably won't happen.

I like to watch it with the sound on for the first few days, but then after that I turn down the sound and put in a movie to keep me from getting bored with the video.

I started level 2 today. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. It was challenging, and I had to rest a couple times due to being out of breath (going straight from cardio to strength was a little hard). But I'm not sure at all. At all! I'm surprised at that. Maybe I was doing it wrong. I'll have to see how I feel over the next few days!
  • greenfirearm
    greenfirearm Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    JeriAnne84 wrote: »
    And the rock star crunches or whatever those things were where you are in a standing position, sit down, rock back into a reverse crunch and then get back up, WTF WAS WITH THAT? I never got those. When I watched that I was like, "wow, didn't know Satan produced exercise videos".

You win funniest internet comment of the day. Haha.
  • hotasfire36
    hotasfire36 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Taking a break today, but who knows I may change my mind.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    Day 8 level 1 done. I feel like it's going to take forever doing it only 5 days a week. I do yoga too so I have noticed both have helped me complete the other one. The only thing I'm still doing modified is half of the second set of push ups.
  • LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Day 5 level 2. Plank hell is a little less hellish. Not by much mind you, but a little less.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    I finished the Shred yesterday. It took me 36 days - from October 11th till November 18th. I had two breaks due to illness, each three days long. I lost 6 lbs during these 5 weeks (from 151.8 lbs to 145.8) and who knows how many inches. I did not measure my waist, hops, etc, but I know that my pants got very loose. Now, to be fair, I also did c25k during this five weeks and was trying to eat well.

It was my first time doing a program at home and, honestly, each level was interesting for the first 5-7 days and than became quite boring.... I already have Ripped in 30 and will try it soon. Maybe I'll start this weekend!
  • AniLandSmiles
    AniLandSmiles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Day 2 of Level 2 this morning. The cardio is the only real challenging part for me this level. What I mean is, after the cardio, I'll get into position to do the next exercise, but I'm too winded to really give it my best. So I'm hoping that will improve. Otherwise, I'm not sore and I only feel mildly challenged with this level. But it's only day 2, so we'll see. :)
  • fitmama0914
    Options
    The first time I did this a few months ago, I don't think I made it past the third day because I could hardly move. But I've been contemplating dusting it off again. If I did it every other day, what should I do on the off days? My regular strength, or yoga?
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    The first time I did this a few months ago, I don't think I made it past the third day because I could hardly move. But I've been contemplating dusting it off again. If I did it every other day, what should I do on the off days? My regular strength, or yoga?

I do it Monday through Friday with yoga added on 3 days and I just added on a brisk (4 mph) 2 mile walk on the other 2 days.
  • JAB51181
    Options
    You are all motivating me to start this again. I did this paired w WW and nursing a 3 month old last year and lost a lot! Maybe I need Jillian in my life more than I think!
  • JAB51181
    Options
    Level 1 day 1 DONE! Thanks for all your posts to help motivate me to start again and remind me how awesome of a workout this really is! It truly does show results, QUICKLY!
  • hotasfire36
    hotasfire36 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Whew!!!! Day 7 Level 1. Can't wait until i get to level 2, which will be in a few days :D
  • fitmama0914
    Options

I do it Monday through Friday with yoga added on 3 days and I just added on a brisk (4 mph) 2 mile walk on the other 2 days.

Thanks
  • fitmama0914
    Options
    Grr. My post got eaten.
  • kansasgirl11
    kansasgirl11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just started day 1 a couple days ago, I was proud that I did it all the way through and didn't have to take any breaks, but it's been 2 days and I'm still incredibly sore!!! There's no way I can do it today...my legs & calves hurt to the touch. Is this normal? ....or am I just that much out of shape? lol
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    valissa wrote: »
    I just started level 1 yesterday. Day 2- sore already.

I am usually most sore not on the day next to the workout, but one more day after... Day 3 of Shred was terrible! :)

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS, as it's known in the body building world) is quite common, but there are things you can do to mitigate it:

1) post workout stretching
    2) caffeine - I read an article (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24164961) and thought I would give it a try. Now I have a huge cup of black coffee 30 mins prior to my weight workout, and another cup after. I'm much less sore than I used to be, even at higher volumes of training (which I log religiously)
    3) PROTEIN - make sure you're getting enough protein. If you're doing weights or something intense like 30-day or P90X, I would highly recommend you bump your macros to 40% protein at the expense of carbs.
    4) alternating cold/heat - not always practical but pro athletes do it

a few ideas in case DOMS is making your life miserable. in my 20s, I used to be able to barely walk 2 days after a strenuous leg workout. it wasn't until later I realized I was seriously overtraining. rest is good.

• greenfirearm
    greenfirearm Posts: 120 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    mnpolley11 wrote: »
    Just started day 1 a couple days ago, I was proud that I did it all the way through and didn't have to take any breaks, but it's been 2 days and I'm still incredibly sore!!! There's no way I can do it today...my legs & calves hurt to the touch. Is this normal? ....or am I just that much out of shape? lol

I'm the same, although my arms much more so than my legs (I walk enough that my legs are already strong, but my arms? I can't think of anything I do that could barely be called an exercise with my arms!)

I think the DOMS advice is good advice to follow :)
  • notsuchaskinnybitch
    Options
    I've done it for years but never followed it as 'a program' I just do it when I fancy and jump between levels depending on how strong I am feeling that day! Level 3 is a killer it's mostly in plank :P Love it though x