Sushi

Options
I always get the same thing when i go to a sushi place so i was wondering how many calories (and protein, carbs, fat) a salmon avocado roll has with brown rice. it's 6 pieces and is quite average in size. Thanks!

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you search 'salmon avocado roll brown rice' in the foods part of the website, you'll bring back all sorts of helpful results. :)
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    google is your friend. Ive found a wide variance in calories in sushi depending on where you get it. Maybe the restaurant has a web site that has its own stuff listed... some do
  • roz112
    roz112 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys! Yes ive googled before i asked but i get such discrepancies. Would 242 calories 22.4g of fat, 52.5g carbs, 20g of protein seem like a pretty good estimate cuz thats what MFP has posted but its not with brown rice.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    roz112 wrote: »
    I always get the same thing when i go to a sushi place so i was wondering how many calories (and protein, carbs, fat) a salmon avocado roll has with brown rice. it's 6 pieces and is quite average in size. Thanks!

Ask the restaurant for weights and ingredients, then do the logging.

You're welcome.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

You're welcome.

Unless you're ordering the sushi at Applebee's, please don't do that.

Etiquette at a traditional sushi restaurant is very important and I'm pretty sure asking for weights and ingredients of food is not on the list.

If you want to be that precise, perhaps you could learn to make your own sushi at home. It can be a very enjoyable and rewarding hobby.
  • roz112
    Options
    ken_m wrote: »

You're welcome.

Etiquette at a traditional sushi restaurant is very important and I'm pretty sure asking for weights and ingredients of food is not on the list.

If you want to be that precise, perhaps you could learn to make your own sushi at home. It can be a very enjoyable and rewarding hobby.

Yeah, i was going to feel kind of awkward doing so but thanks for your help.
  • roz112
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

The most similar one i found was from whole foods logged in at 296 calories. Thank you!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    I usually just assume 300 per average roll. A little more if it's bigger or has tempura/mayo. A little less if it's maki and simple ingredients. You could actually also try making sushi at home once - mimic how your favourite looks and see how the calories turn out. Then add like... 10% for error/restaurant mods. I'm guessing you're not eating said sushi everyday, so I wouldn't worry too much about being +-50.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

You're welcome.

No, it's fine. And really, who would go to Applebee's for sushi? lol.

you have to balance, is precision in logging more important, or just enjoying the damn thing?

considering the wide variance in what a roll is, based on chef, region, ingredients. You can't really use the prebaked entries. Well, you can, but it will lack both precision and accuracy.

So that leaves two options:
    1. Ask what it is.
    2. Just log whatever.

I will say though, if someone is taking you to Applebees for sushi, run away. that's as bad as going to Olive Garden for pasta.
  • roz112
    Options

You're welcome.

you have to balance, is precision in logging more important, or just enjoying the damn thing?

considering the wide variance in what a roll is, based on chef, region, ingredients. You can't really use the prebaked entries. Well, you can, but it will lack both precision and accuracy.

1. Ask what it is.
    2. Just log whatever.

I will say though, if someone is taking you to Applebees for sushi, run away. that's as bad as going to Olive Garden for pasta.

I live in Toronto, im not even sure we have an Applebee's and better yet i didnt even know they offered sushi!! lol
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

FIFY

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

1. Ask what it is.
    2. Just log whatever.

[/quote]

What's wrong with Olive Garden pasta? I love the stuff. Am I missing something?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Sushi is a negative calorie food....
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Sushi is a negative calorie food....

how I wish. I love sushi.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    edited November 2014
    Options

They couldn't tell you anyway. Most sushi is prepared by hand by a very skilled itamae (sushi chef guy) and each roll is different by degrees.

The Applebee's comment was rhetorical, they obviously don't serve sushi.

If you want to order a healthier roll, avoid the tempura and "spicy" rolls, since these usually contain mayonnaise.

Also please invite me along because my wife hates sushi and I never get to go.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys! Yes ive googled before i asked but i get such discrepancies. Would 242 calories 22.4g of fat, 52.5g carbs, 20g of protein seem like a pretty good estimate cuz thats what MFP has posted but its not with brown rice.

292 seems awfully low honestly. I wouldn't log any roll under 300 honestly- it's just better to over estimate than under estimate.
  • AniLandSmiles
    AniLandSmiles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on having some tonight. I just look online, including the MFP database, for similar recipe calories and then average them. I think it's impossible to find the actual calorie count, jmo.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I got tired of asking for the weights so I just started bringing a food scale to the sushi places.