Sushi

Options

Replies

• roz112
    roz112 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Really too low (6 pieces only tho with just some salmon and avocado) the roll is not that large and i only have it with a bit of light soy sauce (15 cals for 1TB)
    I dont get how to log calories!! ugh this is frustrating
  • roz112
    Options
    I got tired of asking for the weights so I just started bringing a food scale to the sushi places.

Wow good for you! That's serious commitment
    My family thinks im already a little calorie obsessed so they would really think ive lost it if i did that lol
    Kudos to you tho!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    roz112 wrote: »
    I got tired of asking for the weights so I just started bringing a food scale to the sushi places.

Wow good for you! That's serious commitment
    My family thinks im already a little calorie obsessed so they would really think ive lost it if i did that lol
    Kudos to you tho!

Haha sorry, probably not used to my sarcasm. It was a play on asking for the weights to the sushi chef.

If it's a chain place it might be in the database but I just suggest logging high and just enjoy it. Most of the more traditional ones aren't bad. ie... sashimi on top of rice with wasabi. When you get into the fried food, mayonnaise, and other odd Americanized versions, just stay away from them or limit them.
  • jrcrmr
    jrcrmr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    honestly, it varies. When I made sushi at home (a bunch of friends, we made 200 sushis), we had a mix of tempura shrimp, lobster, salmon tartar, along with the usual veggies, etc and they came to about 27-30 calories per piece. I would think a normal piece in a restaurant would be about 35-40 at the most (ones with mayo and avocado anyway)
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    jrcrmr wrote: »
    honestly, it varies. When I made sushi at home (a bunch of friends, we made 200 sushis), we had a mix of tempura shrimp, lobster, salmon tartar, along with the usual veggies, etc and they came to about 27-30 calories per piece. I would think a normal piece in a restaurant would be about 35-40 at the most (ones with mayo and avocado anyway)

Can I come over? Yum :)
  • Mister_Al
    Options

I live in Toronto, im not even sure we have an Applebee's and better yet i didnt even know they offered sushi!! lol

There's one in Ajax, and one I think in Brampton.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ... but I just suggest logging high and just enjoy it. Most of the more traditional ones aren't bad. ie... sashimi on top of rice with wasabi. When you get into the fried food, mayonnaise, and other odd Americanized versions, just stay away from them or limit them.
    This is really where I was going.

A trained sushi chef won't tell you, it's trade secret. Also, it's one of those things, just enjoy it. Otherwise, you can make it at home, it's actually pretty easy. (Like chess is easy.)

@wilsoncl6 - their stuff is kinda disgusting. Inspid, over cooked, over priced...
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    I will say though, if someone is taking you to Applebees for sushi, run away. that's as bad as going to Olive Garden for pasta.

FIFY

Win.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Once you get more skilled at learning the weights of things, you can try to ballpark each ingredient separately, i.e. rice, type of fish, avocado, etc. Try that, and overestimate the calorie amount by 10-25% to correct for inaccuracies.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    ... but I just suggest logging high and just enjoy it. Most of the more traditional ones aren't bad. ie... sashimi on top of rice with wasabi. When you get into the fried food, mayonnaise, and other odd Americanized versions, just stay away from them or limit them.

A trained sushi chef won't tell you, it's trade secret. Also, it's one of those things, just enjoy it. Otherwise, you can make it at home, it's actually pretty easy. (Like chess is easy.)

@wilsoncl6 - their stuff is kinda disgusting. Inspid, over cooked, over priced...

but, but she liked it

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/85-year-old-earnest-review-olive-garden-internet-sensation-article-1.1036629
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I love sushi, but I'm honest with myself about it because it is NOT low cal for the amount I can eat. And I don't even eat the mayonnaise stuff. When i know I'm going out for sushi, I save 800-1,000 cals for it.
  • roz112
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I love sushi, but I'm honest with myself about it because it is NOT low cal for the amount I can eat. And I don't even eat the mayonnaise stuff. When i know I'm going out for sushi, I save 800-1,000 cals for it.

I tend to find it easier to control my portion with sushi because each roll is already portioned out for you. Its harder when you get a bento box and oh man i dont even want to think about AYCE sushi
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

I tend to find it easier to control my portion with sushi because each roll is already portioned out for you. Its harder when you get a bento box and oh man i dont even want to think about AYCE sushi

I'm lucky in the sense that there's no where around me at work that sells it. And a roll won't fill me up for dinner. So, when I do eat it, I go all out. I can down like 10 pieces and small roll.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

but, but she liked it

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/85-year-old-earnest-review-olive-garden-internet-sensation-article-1.1036629
    That brightened my morning. How cute!

I wonder, at 85, how well do the tastebuds work?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I prefer sashimi vs sushi as it's w/o the rice. Spicy tuna salad is great. Salmon roe with seaweed for those that like the popping sensation.
  • mystiquecal
    mystiquecal Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    ken_m wrote: »

Unless you're ordering the sushi at Applebee's, please don't do that.

Etiquette at a traditional sushi restaurant is very important and I'm pretty sure asking for weights and ingredients of food is not on the list.

If you want to be that precise, perhaps you could learn to make your own sushi at home. It can be a very enjoyable and rewarding hobby.

Very true.
    They couldn't tell you anyway. Most sushi is prepared by hand by a very skilled itamae (sushi chef guy) and each roll is different by degrees.

The Applebee's comment was rhetorical, they obviously don't serve sushi.

If you want to order a healthier roll, avoid the tempura and "spicy" rolls, since these usually contain mayonnaise.

Also please invite me along because my wife hates sushi and I never get to go.

I agree. It's rude to ask and even the way you eat sushi has to be precise, or the Sushi chef is going to give you a death stare.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Now I want sushi. Thanks a lot!

nice-selection-of-sushi.jpg
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I can down like 10 pieces and small roll.

That's just an appetizer.

• mystiquecal
    mystiquecal Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Oh gee whizz.. you're killing me with that pic!

I want to be surrounded by sushi every day...
  • roz112
    Options
    I prefer sashimi vs sushi as it's w/o the rice. Spicy tuna salad is great. Salmon roe with seaweed for those that like the popping sensation.

I tend to never get full or satisfied if there's no rice, i try to make it a bit healthier by substituting brown rice (glad at least the sushi place i go can do that, they even substitute quinoa but im too scared to try it)