Sushi

Options

Replies

• jamien604
    jamien604 Posts: 11 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    roz112 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys! Yes ive googled before i asked but i get such discrepancies. Would 242 calories 22.4g of fat, 52.5g carbs, 20g of protein seem like a pretty good estimate cuz thats what MFP has posted but its not with brown rice.

carbohydrates and protein have 4 calories for every gram(roughly) and fat has 9 calories for every gram.

52.5 x 4 = 210
    20 x 4 = 80
    22.4 x 9 = 201.9
    =491.6

That entry is not correct.

You can ask anything you want, anywhere you want. Don't be afraid to ask what's in your food. It's going in your body, you have a right to know and this isn't a traditional high end Japanese sushi restaurant, they don't offer brown rice sushi at those places. You can't get it sticky enough, and it doesnt make proper tight beautiful rolls, they don't use it. You don't have to worry about offending some famous sushi chef. The guy making your sushi probably isn't even Japanese.

This place offering brown rice sushi is trying to appeal to health conscious individuals. You are their target demographic! They expect you to ask them questions about their sushi.

That being said it is a hassle, and it's hard for them to answer anything that isnt a very basic question. It costs a lot of money to do nutritional analysis(several hundred dollars per menu item) so only the big chains will have this information available.

You will be able to get it out of them if they use lots of sugar in their rice though and if they put mayo in the rolls, then you can ask at other places and find the healthiest lowest calorie place to eat at. Unfortunately you're not going to get any nutritional information out of anywhere but a medium or larger chain restaurant.

So yeah not much help, sorry, anything you do will be a huge guess.

Unless you got it to go and took it home and weighed everything individually and built a nutritional profile out of that provided you talk to them and find out how much sugar and other crap they put in the roll.
  • roz112
    roz112 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    jamien604 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys! Yes ive googled before i asked but i get such discrepancies. Would 242 calories 22.4g of fat, 52.5g carbs, 20g of protein seem like a pretty good estimate cuz thats what MFP has posted but its not with brown rice.

carbohydrates and protein have 4 calories for every gram(roughly) and fat has 9 calories for every gram.

52.5 x 4 = 210
    20 x 4 = 80
    22.4 x 9 = 201.9
    =491.6

That entry is not correct.

You can ask anything you want, anywhere you want. Don't be afraid to ask what's in your food. It's going in your body, you have a right to know and this isn't a traditional high end Japanese sushi restaurant, they don't offer brown rice sushi at those places. You can't get it sticky enough, and it doesnt make proper tight beautiful rolls, they don't use it. You don't have to worry about offending some famous sushi chef. The guy making your sushi probably isn't even Japanese.

This place offering brown rice sushi is trying to appeal to health conscious individuals. You are their target demographic! They expect you to ask them questions about their sushi.

That being said it is a hassle, and it's hard for them to answer anything that isnt a very basic question. It costs a lot of money to do nutritional analysis(several hundred dollars per menu item) so only the big chains will have this information available.

You will be able to get it out of them if they use lots of sugar in their rice though and if they put mayo in the rolls, then you can ask at other places and find the healthiest lowest calorie place to eat at. Unfortunately you're not going to get any nutritional information out of anywhere but a medium or larger chain restaurant.

So yeah not much help, sorry, anything you do will be a huge guess.

Unless you got it to go and took it home and weighed everything individually and built a nutritional profile out of that provided you talk to them and find out how much sugar and other crap they put in the roll.

Can you not get a somewhat close estimation based on how the particular roll im asking about doesnt have anything in it other than avocado and salmon? But yes its extremely annoying, i wish i could know the accurate calorie information about everything i eat. That would be amazing! ahh a girl can dream.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    That's an actual STRONG 11th post.
  • roz112
    Options
    Had sushi for lunch today :) Who said mondays suck?!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I just really want to try one of these sushirritos...
    sushirrito-1.jpg

I want this and sushi pizza!

I love sushi.

And I love pizza.

But there is at no point any time at which I want my pizza and sushi to cross paths.

and AYCE sushi is where it's at.
    But typically for AYCE- you have to be willing to eat 4-5 rolls to make it worth it- I can put down between 6-8 plus my appetizers so it's usually worth the effort- even if I can't walk for a few hours ;)
  • roz112
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    sushirrito-1.jpg

I love sushi.

And I love pizza.

But there is at no point any time at which I want my pizza and sushi to cross paths.

But typically for AYCE- you have to be willing to eat 4-5 rolls to make it worth it- I can put down between 6-8 plus my appetizers so it's usually worth the effort- even if I can't walk for a few hours ;)

Its not literally a sushi pizza. Its more like a bed of fried rice and on top they put raw fish, i get mine with salmon, and they usually put some sort of spicy mayo on top. You should google it! Its amazing (super unhealthy, but AMAZING) and most AYCE places have it.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    nope nope nope
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    sushirrito-1.jpg

I love sushi.

And I love pizza.

Its not literally a sushi pizza. Its more like a bed of fried rice and on top they put raw fish, i get mine with salmon, and they usually put some sort of spicy mayo on top. You should google it! Its amazing (super unhealthy, but AMAZING) and most AYCE places have it.
    Not sure what is unhealthy about sushi?
    Carbs, fat, Protein, fibre, potassium, other nutrients....Seems pretty damn healthy to me.

• dbmata
    Options
    nope nope nope
    come on, it's a variation of chirashi!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    ok this is nasty
    o-SUSHI-PIZZA-facebook.jpg
  • roz112
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    sushirrito-1.jpg

I love sushi.

And I love pizza.

Not sure what is unhealthy about sushi?
    Carbs, fat, Protein, fibre, potassium, other nutrients....Seems pretty damn healthy to me.

I wasn't really referring to the sushi in general as being unhealthy but rather just the sushi pizza because its super fried and saucy. lol
  • roz112
    Options
    ok this is nasty
    o-SUSHI-PIZZA-facebook.jpg

It is weird that i would still eat that?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'm sad that picture even exists.
  • dbmata
    Options
    yeah, cold pizza with sushi. meh.
  • mseslee
    mseslee Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    I'm addicted to sushi

me too!! my weakness, it's super hard to count calories when I got to Sushi Land and they have the conveyor belts...
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    jamien604 wrote: »
    You can ask anything you want, anywhere you want. Don't be afraid to ask what's in your food.

You can also go grocery shopping in your underwear but don't expect people to respond positively to that.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    mseslee wrote: »
    I'm addicted to sushi

me too!! my weakness, it's super hard to count calories when I got to Sushi Land and they have the conveyor belts...

Best way to minimize the calories is to eat more sashimi and don't eat the Americanized fried/mayonaised type of stuff.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    sushirrito-1.jpg

We had some sushi that was called burrito. It was really good.

I just estimate calories.

I would probably eat that sushi pizza
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    mseslee wrote: »
    I'm addicted to sushi

Best way to minimize the calories is to eat more sashimi and don't eat the Americanized fried/mayonaised type of stuff.

Yup and feel free to take the fish off of the rice and eat it.

The only rule I throw away for sushi is watching sodium. I don't enjoy the low-sodium soy sauce.

• dbmata
    Options
    Don't waste the rice, that's not needed. Just get the sashimi if you're going to do that.