Sushi

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited November 2014
    roz112 wrote: »
    zarckon wrote: »
    Sushi is ridiculously high in calories. It's a good example of why "good food/bad food" diets don't work. Before MFP I would have thought of sushi as a "good food". It feels virtuous. It's low-fat; it's fish, rice, and seaweed. The problem is: low protein, high carb. For the amount of sushi I'd normally eat at a sitting, I could have a bacon cheeseburger or two slices of pizza instead.

I think this greatly differs based on what you order. Sushi can be healthy if you order the right things and keep your portions in check.

Don't confuse calorie dense with unhealthy.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    adowe wrote: »
    Sushi is ridiculously high in calories. It's a good example of why "good food/bad food" diets don't work. Before MFP I would have thought of sushi as a "good food". It feels virtuous. It's low-fat; it's fish, rice, and seaweed. The problem is: low protein, high carb. For the amount of sushi I'd normally eat at a sitting, I could have a bacon cheeseburger or two slices of pizza instead.

Low protein? Your doing sushi wrong then

right? fishless sushi? must be doing the california roll.
  • roz112
    roz112 Posts: 77 Member

Calories 290 Sodium 275 mg
    Total Fat 7 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 2 g Total Carbs 25 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 4 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 7 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 14 g
    Cholesterol 51 mg

Spicy tuna roll = 8 pcs = 1 roll. Not bad.

One slice of pepporoni pizza

Calories 280 Sodium 560 mg
    Total Fat 11 g Potassium 11 mg
    Saturated 5 g Total Carbs 32 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 2 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 3 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 14 g
    Cholesterol 25 mg

Not to bad but I'm going with the sushi

I think the sushi will keep you fuller for a lot longer than just a slice of pizza.
    I still want both tho :)
  • roz112
    PRMinx wrote: »

I think this greatly differs based on what you order. Sushi can be healthy if you order the right things and keep your portions in check.

Don't confuse calorie dense with unhealthy.

Im just basing it on sushi that's fried and loaded with sauces and such. That can't be very healthy for you. Calorie dense sushi that is healthier are avocado and fish filled rolls.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    dammit... bacon cheeseburger.

I'm apparently hungry, because I'm as wishy washy as a brony doing pony play.

so what about these little numbers? combo deal!

20121030-227427-cowfish-taste-explosion-roll.jpg

Just my opinion but that's an abomination of what sushi is supposed to be. To me that's like calling almond chicken Chinese food
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Really too low (6 pieces only tho with just some salmon and avocado) the roll is not that large and i only have it with a bit of light soy sauce (15 cals for 1TB)
    I dont get how to log calories!! ugh this is frustrating

If your weight loss is as expected, then you can tell that your estimate is pretty good. If you are not losing or losing too much, then you would need to rethink it. :wink:

• WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    I just really want to try one of these sushirritos...
    sushirrito-1.jpg

• roz112
    I just really want to try one of these sushirritos...
    sushirrito-1.jpg

I want this and sushi pizza!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member

Low protein? Your doing sushi wrong then

Yeah, I looked at this like "wha... ?"
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member

Possibly the #1 best thing I ever ate was Hamachi belly sashimi with razor-thin jalapeno slices on it. I could eat 10,000 of those. Perfectly healthy.
  • PRMinx
    edited November 2014
    ghs25bfsmopj.jpg

My sushi day. Low protein? No. High carb? Yes. Totally able to fit into my macros for the most part (a little over actually) with proper planning.

FD.jpg 94.7K
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    ghs25bfsmopj.jpg

My sushi day. Low protein? No. High carb? Yes. Totally able to fit into my macros though with proper planning.

ETA: It was the wine that set me over on my carbs. No regrets.

Your numbers don't make much sense though. There's no way one 75 calorie piece of sushi would have 13g of protein. But otherwise, yeah, definitely not low protein. They unfortunately don't fill me up that much though... still going to have some tomorrow night I think.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    ghs25bfsmopj.jpg

My sushi day. Low protein? No. High carb? Yes. Totally able to fit into my macros though with proper planning.

Your numbers don't make much sense though. There's no way one 75 calorie piece of sushi would have 13g of protein. But otherwise, yeah, definitely not low protein. They unfortunately don't fill me up that much though... still going to have some tomorrow night I think.

Eel is pretty much all protein.
  • Francl27
    Yeah but it's sushi. A tiny piece of fish on rice. 3oz of eel is 16g of protein (and 156 calories), so the entry is totally wrong. Still though, even if it's only 4g of protein or something (plus 1 for the rice), it's still definitely not low protein.
  • PRMinx
    Yeah but it's sushi. A tiny piece of fish on rice. 3oz of eel is 16g of protein (and 156 calories), so the entry is totally wrong. Still though, even if it's only 4g of protein or something (plus 1 for the rice), it's still definitely not low protein.

I just checked three websites, and they all come in around 75-80 calories a piece for anywhere from 9-13 grams of protein.
  • PRMinx
    ghs25bfsmopj.jpg

Eel is pretty much all protein.

Also, that's just one number. And it's not that far off. So let's not be dramatic.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    my sushi is high crab.
    You make me a happy person.

• Francl27

I just checked three websites, and they all come in around 75-80 calories a piece for anywhere from 9-13 grams of protein.

Yeah it makes no sense when the usda data for eel is 156 calories and 16g of protein for 3oz.

But anyway... yeah, just one number, and either way it still has protein, lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

Bolded = sushi fail...