Planet Fitness?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I always put it this way. You CAN get results at Planet Fitness, and some people do. However, many of their policies are misguided and can hinder your progress significantly.

Yes, the "no grunting" rule is one of them. It's true that people should not be yelling in the gym, but a mild grunt is to be expected when you're pushing yourself extra hard. Ditto for dropping weights. Nobody should slam the weights to the ground; however, PF goes way overboard when they say that nobody should drop them at all, even from just a few inches off the ground.

They just plain spread a lot of false information about working out, and the disallow some of the most beneficial exercises around. They also create an environment where people are less motivated to push themselves hard, lest they be publicly ridiculed by employees or the lunk alarm.

If PF is your only option, then yes, you can certainly make progress there. It will tend to be suboptimal progress, though. This is especially problematic for beginners, since they often lack the knowledge necessary to understand why their workouts aren't progressing as quickly as they could.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    and why did you necro this? Not polite.
  • MegzC321
    MegzC321 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have never had a complaint with PF. However, I only go there twice a week to do cardio and take my friend. I lift at my apartment gym.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    That makes sense. That is why it bugs me when people crap on PF for trying to create a specific environment. I'm fine with CrossFit culture.. or any other gym culture. It's just not necessarily my culture, and I'd rather it not invade my space. PF has created a space that tries to keep that from happening. Before you get upset by that, please think about this analogy.

I LOVE music. I am a musician. I get it. However, I don't like it at all when my neighbor cranks his stereo up to 11 so that the sound invades the space at my house thus disturbing my sleep or my TV time or my concentration when trying to work at the computer. Similarly, when I'm in the gym, I don't want sudden crashes (dropping weights) or grunts (I apologize for the animal reference;I was simply trying to be descriptive) invading my own little world and distracting me from the goals I'm trying to achieve . I don't think that's unreasonable to ask in a place that openly advertises that it is not permitted.

I don't understand why we can't just choose the gym that best suits our own style without feeling the need to pass judgement. I mean seriously, I won't be complaining that the more traditional gyms don't have rules that fit my opinion. I just won't go there. I honestly can't understand the animosity people on the other traditional side have toward those of us who prefer a quieter environment. Honestly. Why would anyone want to go to a PF if they didn't like the clearly stated rules? I just don't get it.

THIS^^ last paragraph especially.

And I am one who sometimes grunts and would disrupt the peace. Happens sometimes, usually when I pushing for a PR (especially when its deads). I do respect the analogy however, and I will try to be mindful. But sometimes...grunts happen.

Honestly..dead #245. You'll hear either a grunt or a fart from me. Your choice. :D
  • dbmata
    Options
    I grunt, I don't apologize. I also drink. Make bad jokes. Enjoy National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.
  • spartan_d
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that's not why critics object to Planet Fitness. From what I've read, they don't have a problem with a beginners-only gym -- or any gym that serves a niche market. You don't hear these types of criticisms about Curves, for example, even though they also cater to low-intensity, low-effort exercisers.

Rather, critics object to the methods that PF uses. I honestly can't blame them; after all , there is absolutely no need to demonize weightlifters, just because you want to cater to the average Joe (or even the below average). They also perpetuate the notion that bench pressing, barbell squatting, deadlifting, etc. are only for bodybuilders and other advanced exercisers, when nothing could be farther for the truth.

And so on, and so forth. I won't bother talking about the pizza, bagels, and donuts (where applicable). The point is that critics consider such methods to be problematic, especially when they work against their clients' supposed goals. I doubt that many of them would say that it's wrong to have a gym that focuses on the average near-sedentary folks.

dbmata, I apologize if I offended you. I saw that the last posting was only a month old, and I didn't think that was excessive. As you get to know me, you'll find that I'm a pretty reasonable person, open to hearing multiple viewpoints. (BTW, if you don't mind my saying, I think that it's helps to be polite when correcting others on their perceived errors. No offense, but I think that your response didn't have to be so harsh.)
  • dbmata
    Options
    If you thought that harsh, wait until you see me write a post when I'm mildly annoyed or someone, you'll find it positively withering.

Welcome to MFP, not all of us are wearing our frilly pants and kid gloves.
  • brirandle1
    brirandle1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Love Planet Fitness. Iam 45 years old and use the machines to lift weights, treadmill to run and the elliptical. If you want to lift heavy free weights then it is not the gym for you. Iam not into that lifting anymore. Not sure what the negativity about it is, my Planet Fitness Gym in Abingdon Md is top notch, clean, and very friendly staff. Not sure what the argument is lol, if you want to lift heavy free weights, you need to find another gym. For 10 dollars a month its perfect for me, I have lost 45 lbs since May working out there and using myfitnesspal :)
  • spartan_d
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think I already explained what the negativity is about, brirandle1. Good-hearted people don't like it when bodybuilders and other accomplished athletes are demonized as being "lunks" or mentally deficient. It's hardly consistent with the "no judgment" philosophy that PF keeps touting.

They also don't like it when a fitness chain enforces policies that work against their members interests. The whole pizza fiasco is an obvious example, but instead of focusing on that, we can talk about their equipment instead.

When I visited a local PF, the person at the front desk told me that they don't have bench press stations or squat racks because their place "isn't for bodybuilders." Anyone halfway knowledgeable gymgoer, however, knows that bench pressing and barbell squatting aren't just for the hypermuscled types. In fact, they are excellent ways for beginners to get started, provided that these people start out light and educate themselves on proper form. Because they're in the fitness industry, the PF management should know better than to perpetuate such misconceptions.

Please note that I am not railing against PF. I fully acknowledge that it's possible to make progress there. However, I also understand the objections of those who say that PF places a great many obstacles in their clientele's way, and for rather poor reasons.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Spartan coming in with some of the most intelligent noob posts I've seen in a while. I'd take him 1st overall in the Noob Draft.
  • AmberAntoine
    Options
    You should be aware of all the risk before starting to lift weights. Know rules about membership and ask for PF first.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I'm really torn on the whole PF thing, but I've never been to one. I hate their commercials. I hate the lunk alarm thing. But $10 is awesome.
    I hear that they don't like people to lift heavy but what's considered heavy to everyone?
    When my dad is in the States (we live in Canada) he goes to the gym down the way from my Gramps' house. And my dad presses 190lb. So that seems pretty heavy to me. And he's never said that they don't have what he needs to lift heavier than that there, all I know is that he currently presses 190lb and that he's able to do it at this Planet Fitness location.

* Also can I just say that my dad is pressing 190 POST heart attack! Yeah, just throwin that out there cause I think that's pretty awesome.

So I didn't know that PF existed in Canada! $10 a month, for a month to month membership, is fantastic. I've never paid less than $50..

The CEO's answers in this interview about the expansion to Canada sheds some light on its culture:

How do you choose your franchisees?

After the financial requirements, we do personal interviews to make sure they understand the culture. It’s all about culture. If they start questioning the ‘judgement free zone’ or why we don’t have heavy free weights, aquatics or spinning classes, you can already see that they’re not really buying into the average Jane or Joe who wants to work out two or three days a week. They’re trying to go for that extreme athlete and that’s just not us.

What’s important is when they talk about experiences in their families and with people they know – people who have struggled with working out or losing weight or with their self esteem. You can get to see if they understand the reason for the ‘judgement free zone’. If they can see that need for a safe haven, they get the culture, they get why we’re doing what we do.

How has Planet Fitness evolved since its early days?

It’s been a ride. In New Hampshire, we were in some very rural towns. We had two stores over in Rochester where the five-mile radius is only 50,000 people. Plus the town we were in only had 22,000 and there were a few other clubs. Back then, only 12 per cent of the U.S. population belonged to a health club. We had the heavy weights along with all the normal club stuff and were fighting for that 12 per cent. So we thought, rather than just going after splitting the pie, why not come up with a new model that goes after the 88 per cent to come work out at the club.

So we started tinkering with the rates and the volume started driving in. We were getting the first time gym users to come in but also more of the bodybuilders, power lifters, triathletes and extreme athletes too. Putting them all in the same room didn’t quite work. So we started questioning the services we were providing. Cardio was the biggest thing in the gym – always was and always will be. So we stacked our clubs up with cardio and stripped down all the aerobics, daycares and juice bars which made more room for cardio and circuit training. Then it really started moving. We started getting all these first timers coming in without the clash of personalities.

After a lot of refinement, we started franchising in 2003, which is when we saw a model that we had developed in a rural town work in places like Orlando, Florida and New York City that had big populations. So then our focus became franchising which allowed us to grow much faster. Now have about 200 groups of franchisees– entrepreneurs who are on the ground working it day to day. They’re passionate as opposed to it just being one corporate office trying to put their hands on all these markets everywhere, and not understanding the people there.

What’s your advice to franchisees?

Follow the model. A lot of our franchisees are not from the fitness industry. They’re ex-doctors, airline pilots, high tech people – people who’ve retired but don’t want to sit at home. That’s great because they take our playbook and run with it. They do what the playbook says as opposed to the people that have come from the gym business who always try to gravitate back and want to bring in aerobics and the other stuff. You have to really put yourself in the mind of the consumer and understand what they look for to be able to sell it and run it.

Personally, I have some limitations right now, so I'd be good as long as they have a stationary bike, treadmill and cable machine. But I think it would be possible for people without constraints to get use out of it, if the location's decent. $10!!!
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    After the financial requirements, we do personal interviews to make sure they understand the culture. It’s all about culture. If they start questioning the ‘judgement free zone’ or why we don’t have heavy free weights, aquatics or spinning classes, you can already see that they’re not really buying into the average Jane or Joe who wants to work out two or three days a week. They’re trying to go for that extreme athlete and that’s just not us.

hahahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahhahahhhahahahahahahhaaha.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • spartan_d
    Options
    Yeah, that's laughable. Aquatics and spinning classes are NOT specifically for extreme athletes by any means. In fact, aquatics are typically designed for people who are extremely out of shape, though there are some exceptions to that rule.

Heck, you don't even need to be an extreme athlete to use heavy weights. I don't want to shamelessly bash PF, but when they say things like this, it becomes clear that they're not knowledgeable when it comes to exercise. Either that or they're trying to rationalize their strange policies.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Yeah, that's laughable. Aquatics and spinning classes are NOT specifically for extreme athletes by any means. In fact, aquatics are typically designed for people who are extremely out of shape, though there are some exceptions to that rule.

Heck, you don't even need to be an extreme athlete to use heavy weights. I don't want to shamelessly bash PF, but when they say things like this, it becomes clear that they're not knowledgeable when it comes to exercise. Either that or they're trying to rationalize their strange policies.

I admire their ability to stick to their marketing plan even in the face of contradictory facts...

...and I still believe their blatantly hypocritical "judgment free zone" *unless it's to judge fit people* ploy is an intentional part of their overall marketing strategy. Us "meatheads" do a great job of advertising to their intended target audience for them.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Spartan coming in with some of the most intelligent noob posts I've seen in a while. I'd take him 1st overall in the Noob Draft.

I'm a little concerned about the thin skin, but that can be conditioned. Might be a good draft choice.
  • dbmata
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    ...and I still believe their blatantly hypocritical "judgment free zone" *unless it's to judge fit people* ploy is an intentional part of their overall marketing strategy.
    It is, paired with the purple colors, machines everywhere, and equipment that looks like toys.

It's all finely crafted around the concept of a high membership, low usage volume club. If you discriminate against people who will utilize the facility, you'll keep the losers longer, and they'll generally continue to spend while never stepping foot inside.

It's very savvy.