Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    wtf. Why is everyone doing shrugs? Do I need to add this in so I can build my cobra?
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Deborah105 wrote: »
    Listen, Planet Fitness is marketed as a gym for the average joe/jane - not power lifters. It is cheap and cheerful and they strive to keep it a place where you can go, workout, and not feel you're doing anything wrong by NOT being a power lifter or power anything. A simple and no frills type of place. If anyone needs something more rigorous then find a different type of gym. Why is this so hard?

Actually, from what I've seen they are anything but "no frills". A hard core gym tends to be "no frills" i.e. no powered cardio machines and juice bar/pro shop etc.

Power cardio machines? You mean a treadmill? plonk . . .

I don't belong any longer (recently joined LA Fitness - let the conversation begin!), but the one I went to had a juice and water machine. Fancy! :smiley:

Nothing wrong with LA Fitness...that's where I go. Two squat racks and a power cage at mine (along with three Smith machines). Preloaded bars up to 110 LBS, dumbbells in 2.5 lb increments higher than I'll ever use, and I can deadlift.

Smith machines. Booooooooooooooooooo. You should ask them to trash those for more squat racks and power cage.

Except I already have no problem getting the cage because everyone else there uses the Smiths :: shrugs ::

Complete opposite at my gym but it's easy to get the SM for shrugs and calf raises at least.

I actually do my shrugs in the power rack and calf raises on the leg press machine
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    Why would PF not allow deadlifts?

some do, most don't. And I don't know any PF that allows for Oly-lifting where dropping the weights is pretty much a given when you're doing a heavy clean and jerk or a heavy snatch.

OP, since you've been doing CF, I assume you're also been doing some Oly stuff...don't expect to be able to do that at a PF gym. I have nothing against PF...it has it's place and serves it's purpose...but if your purpose is to workout like you were at our box then forget about it.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    wtf. Why is everyone doing shrugs? Do I need to add this in so I can build my cobra?

*shrug* oh right that's so I am in shape for when my wife asks me a question!
  • PwrLftr82
    Options

I like big traps and I cannot lie...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Listen, Planet Fitness is marketed as a gym for the average joe/jane - not power lifters. It is cheap and cheerful and they strive to keep it a place where you can go, workout, and not feel you're doing anything wrong by NOT being a power lifter or power anything. A simple and no frills type of place. If anyone needs something more rigorous then find a different type of gym. Why is this so hard?

Actually, from what I've seen they are anything but "no frills". A hard core gym tends to be "no frills" i.e. no powered cardio machines and juice bar/pro shop etc.

Power cardio machines? You mean a treadmill? plonk . . .

I don't belong any longer (recently joined LA Fitness - let the conversation begin!), but the one I went to had a juice and water machine. Fancy! :smiley:

Nothing wrong with LA Fitness...that's where I go. Two squat racks and a power cage at mine (along with three Smith machines). Preloaded bars up to 110 LBS, dumbbells in 2.5 lb increments higher than I'll ever use, and I can deadlift.

Smith machines. Booooooooooooooooooo. You should ask them to trash those for more squat racks and power cage.

Except I already have no problem getting the cage because everyone else there uses the Smiths :: shrugs ::

Complete opposite at my gym but it's easy to get the SM for shrugs and calf raises at least.

I actually do my shrugs in the power rack and calf raises on the leg press machine

Yeah but if I do it there people tend to get upset since we always have a line up for both. :grumble:
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    As long as the PF had basic equipment, you could do most of the CF stuff. Just have to be quiet about putting the weights down. I can't just drop the weight after a powerclean but fortunately I can only powerclean about 185. So that's still something I can handle putting down fairly gently

You can lift, yes, but just can't do it with any kind of intensity. And your stuck with straight lifting or cardio machines. No box jumps, kettlebells, wall balls, etc. Is there even space for burpees? So, no, you can't do the vast majority of CrossFit stuff at a PF gym. Which is fine, but it's no where near the setup available at a CF gym.

Probably not exactly like CF ie... like to done one of the WOD but not bad?
    GymPics2%20070_full.jpeg

Not terrible space wise. I wonder if they would lunk you if you did burpees in between sets or something. Like a WOD after a lifting session.

I can't see if there is a cage or not. But my idea would be to take one of the bench bars for deads, cleans, ohp etc... but just try to be quiet on the way down. I'm sure you could do burpees. for box jumps, use one of the benches. Not optimal but not bad
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    As long as the PF had basic equipment, you could do most of the CF stuff. Just have to be quiet about putting the weights down. I can't just drop the weight after a powerclean but fortunately I can only powerclean about 185. So that's still something I can handle putting down fairly gently

You can lift, yes, but just can't do it with any kind of intensity. And your stuck with straight lifting or cardio machines. No box jumps, kettlebells, wall balls, etc. Is there even space for burpees? So, no, you can't do the vast majority of CrossFit stuff at a PF gym. Which is fine, but it's no where near the setup available at a CF gym.

GymPics2%20070_full.jpeg

Not terrible space wise. I wonder if they would lunk you if you did burpees in between sets or something. Like a WOD after a lifting session.

I can't see if there is a cage or not. But my idea would be to take one of the bench bars for deads, cleans, ohp etc... but just try to be quiet on the way down. I'm sure you could do burpees. for box jumps, use one of the benches. Not optimal but not bad

True.But I'm about 99.9% sure that if you jumped on the benches you would get lunked.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    Just FYI, Planet Fitness probably won't tolerate throwing/dropping weights and yelling as Crossfitters do. Might wanna read up on policy and stuff.

no gym should allow that nonsense

says someone who's probably never done an Oly-lift...ever...

Not that I'm a CF guy or anything, but I'm an Oly-lifter...and sorry...a heavy snatch is going to get dropped...I don't care if it scares you...I don't want to tear my shoulders up just because you're afraid of some rubber bumper plates being dropped on an Olympic platform. Hmmm....I wonder why they make rubber bumper plates and Oly-platforms...Hmmm????

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    PF is not meant to be for heavy serious lifters. They don't try and hide that fact and in fact they promote that fact because they are geared to a different audience. Not sure why that is so hard to accept by so many people. it is a successful business and it is a cheap way for someone to get into going to a gym and getting some exercise.

I agree to an extent. What bothers me is their slogan of being a "Judgment Free Zone," but their commercials are extremely judgmental.

You don't say.

FIFY. (The new youtube tags are kind of awesome...because preview.)

• dbmata
    Options

I like big traps and I cannot lie...
    its_a_trap_star_wars.gif

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Just FYI, Planet Fitness probably won't tolerate throwing/dropping weights and yelling as Crossfitters do. Might wanna read up on policy and stuff.

Not that I'm a CF guy or anything, but I'm an Oly-lifter...and sorry...a heavy snatch is going to get dropped...I don't care if it scares you...I don't want to tear my shoulders up just because you're afraid of some rubber bumper plates being dropped on an Olympic platform. Hmmm....I wonder why they make rubber bumper plates and Oly-platforms...Hmmm????

Yeah, I don't do snatches because I don't have the flexibility or experience but off hand, I don't see a safe way to catch it on the way down.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

GymPics2%20070_full.jpeg

True.But I'm about 99.9% sure that if you jumped on the benches you would get lunked.

I see people do that all the time at the PF I go to. No alarm is pulled. They hardly ever pull the alarm at the one I go to.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

That reminds me that I need to move my platform to the basement next week.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options

GymPics2%20070_full.jpeg

I see people do that all the time at the PF I go to. No alarm is pulled. They hardly ever pull the alarm at the one I go to.

"Hardly ever," so, it does get pulled. For what reasons has it been pulled at your PF?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Yep, this. I drop my heavy deads, too. I bailed out of back squat the other day at a weight I knew I could do, but I was coming down with a cold and I was off.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Yeah, I don't do snatches because I don't have the flexibility or experience but off hand, I don't see a safe way to catch it on the way down.

I can when I am doing light power hang snatches up to about 80% of bodyweight but after that its on the platform every time.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

GymPics2%20070_full.jpeg

"Hardly ever," so, it does get pulled. For what reasons has it been pulled at your PF?

Some times they pull it on people they know just to be dinks.

One time they pulled it on a guy who was pretty much screaming as he was lifting a whopping 25 pounds.

I've been going there for quite a few years and can count on one hand the amount of times it's been pulled while I'm there.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

GymPics2%20070_full.jpeg

Why does a lunk alarm sound like a flag? :wink:
  • dbmata
    Options
    Some times they pull it on people they know just to be dinks.
    So they judge people and then harass them with it.

Nice.