Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    Just FYI, Planet Fitness probably won't tolerate throwing/dropping weights and yelling as Crossfitters do. Might wanna read up on policy and stuff.

no gym should allow that nonsense

says someone who's probably never done an Oly-lift...ever...

Not that I'm a CF guy or anything, but I'm an Oly-lifter...and sorry...a heavy snatch is going to get dropped...I don't care if it scares you...I don't want to tear my shoulders up just because you're afraid of some rubber bumper plates being dropped on an Olympic platform. Hmmm....I wonder why they make rubber bumper plates and Oly-platforms...Hmmm????

Yeah, I don't do snatches because I don't have the flexibility or experience but off hand, I don't see a safe way to catch it on the way down.

funny you should say that...flexibility was a big concern for me after I took a generic Oly-class last year around this time...I had some issues and it made me sadz because I had a lot of exposure to Oly-lifting early in life and always enjoyed it.

I'm working with a coach now and he has done some incredible things with my flexibility...I can't believe some of the stuff I'm doing right now at age 40...my coach has me doing things in a month of training that I never thought I'd be able to do again.

He also wants me to lean out a bit...which kind of sucks because winter beer season and all...but oh well...sacrifices, sacrifices.

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Some times they pull it on people they know just to be dinks.
    So they judge people and then harass them with it.

Nice.

Really? I think I'd crack up if I were friends with someone at the front desk and they pulled it on my as a joke.

But then again I have a sense of humor. ;)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Nice.

Really? I think I'd crack up if I were friends with someone at the front desk and they pulled it on my as a joke.

So are you saying he doesn't because he doesn't like the idea of a loud siren going off on hi m in the middle of his workout?

I have a great sense of humor. I work out a lot. I'm still self-conscious sometimes. If someone set a siren off on me I would be mortified to tears.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    As long as the PF had basic equipment, you could do most of the CF stuff. Just have to be quiet about putting the weights down. I can't just drop the weight after a powerclean but fortunately I can only powerclean about 185. So that's still something I can handle putting down fairly gently

You can lift, yes, but just can't do it with any kind of intensity. And your stuck with straight lifting or cardio machines. No box jumps, kettlebells, wall balls, etc. Is there even space for burpees? So, no, you can't do the vast majority of CrossFit stuff at a PF gym. Which is fine, but it's no where near the setup available at a CF gym.

Probably not exactly like CF ie... like to done one of the WOD but not bad?
    GymPics2%20070_full.jpeg

Not terrible space wise. I wonder if they would lunk you if you did burpees in between sets or something. Like a WOD after a lifting session.

I can't see if there is a cage or not. But my idea would be to take one of the bench bars for deads, cleans, ohp etc... but just try to be quiet on the way down. I'm sure you could do burpees. for box jumps, use one of the benches. Not optimal but not bad

True.But I'm about 99.9% sure that if you jumped on the benches you would get lunked.

I see people do that all the time at the PF I go to. No alarm is pulled. They hardly ever pull the alarm at the one I go to.

"Hardly ever," so, it does get pulled. For what reasons has it been pulled at your PF?

Why does a lunk alarm sound like a flag? :wink:

I'm pretty sure, yeah.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

Nice.

I'm at the Y so it's more a family thing. But our weight room is decently equipped. When I do the 85lb dumbells on the bench, there is no good/safe way to put them down gently. I put them to my chest then drop them to the floor. Makes a thud but there's no other way. I've seen kids with 30lb dumbells on the incline bench actually just drop them like a rapper dropping his mic after his set. I mean there's no reason for that. He easily handles the weight and it's not heavy for him. Unnecessary
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    kk1084 wrote: »
    I go to Planet Fitness and I LOVE it. Mostly, I love the $10/mo, BUT I only do cardio, so I'm sure it's very different than the lifting piece. I've been extremely happy with my experience there :) Buuuut ...not sure if that helps.
    94c7ztjk8ms3.jpg

• VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    As long as the PF had basic equipment, you could do most of the CF stuff. Just have to be quiet about putting the weights down. I can't just drop the weight after a powerclean but fortunately I can only powerclean about 185. So that's still something I can handle putting down fairly gently

You can lift, yes, but just can't do it with any kind of intensity. And your stuck with straight lifting or cardio machines. No box jumps, kettlebells, wall balls, etc. Is there even space for burpees? So, no, you can't do the vast majority of CrossFit stuff at a PF gym. Which is fine, but it's no where near the setup available at a CF gym.

GymPics2%20070_full.jpeg

Not terrible space wise. I wonder if they would lunk you if you did burpees in between sets or something. Like a WOD after a lifting session.

I don't really intend to try to Crossfit at PF. I just want to build strength and muscle. I am ok working at 75%, 85% of max- I don't know if I'll ever go back to CF or not, but I just want weights and to lift them, not try to fake CF outside of the box
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I got a membership at PF back when I was new to working out. I got the black card membership (which forces a 2 year contract on you) so that I could bring a buddy with me whenever. I went 2-3x a week consistently for about 4 months before I "outgrew" the maximum weight load on their machines. The lunk alarm went off consistently about 2-3x over the hour or so I was there. They had a smith machine but it was more or less just for show because they sounded the lunk alarm if they caught you trying to use it for squats or deadlifts. There were no free weights except for a selection of dumbbells that maxed out at 60 lbs. There was no squat rack.

Yeah, I steer clear of that place.
  • fitfatty88
    fitfatty88 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I think your experience will depend on the PF and management at that location. The one by my house...they have kettlebells, they have battle ropes, and people are allowed to wear cut off tanks and stuff.

The lunk alarm is annoying, but the commercials that play periodically are worse as it booms throughout the whole facility. Plus, sometimes people crowd over by the weights and have no idea what they're doing...particularly during peak times. There's also this guy who "trains" girls on site (not a PF trainer) and he has no idea what he's doing.

I wish there was a squat rack and people would get the f@*k of their phones between sets. I can't tell you how irritating it is seeing someone texting for ten minutes then remember they should be lifting weights. Plus the smell of pizza once a month is nauseating. But it has more equipment than the gym I used to be at for 1/4 of the price.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

GymPics2%20070_full.jpeg

I don't really intend to try to Crossfit at PF. I just want to build strength and muscle. I am ok working at 75%, 85% of max- I don't know if I'll ever go back to CF or not, but I just want weights and to lift them, not try to fake CF outside of the box

I'm not saying that's what you were going to try to do - we were just having a general conversation about what's allowed and what isn't.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Due to financial reasons, I've recently had to quit Crossfit, which was my preferred fitness method.
    Luckily, my office has a gym on site that I can (and do!) use every day. However, it is very small and only has cardio machines and dumbbells, meaning I really can't lift heavy as I would like to, and has just taken a lot of the joy of training from me.
    There is a Planet Fitness opening on my block! But of course, I've heard HORROR stories galore! Is it as bad as they say? Has anyone had a positive experience with them? I am not a beginner who is going to sit on the hip abduction machine with a slice of pizza, but I am concerned that they are going to give me a hard time about heavy lifts and things like that.

If you are planning to lift heavy, then Planet Fitness might not be the best bet. They have dumb bells and machines. Period. Dead lifts are banned. You will not find an Olympic barbell or squat rack there. They have preset barbells. When I started lifting I had to go elsewhere.

no-dl-sign.jpg

• JeffseekingV
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    Just FYI, Planet Fitness probably won't tolerate throwing/dropping weights and yelling as Crossfitters do. Might wanna read up on policy and stuff.

no gym should allow that nonsense

says someone who's probably never done an Oly-lift...ever...

Not that I'm a CF guy or anything, but I'm an Oly-lifter...and sorry...a heavy snatch is going to get dropped...I don't care if it scares you...I don't want to tear my shoulders up just because you're afraid of some rubber bumper plates being dropped on an Olympic platform. Hmmm....I wonder why they make rubber bumper plates and Oly-platforms...Hmmm????

Yeah, I don't do snatches because I don't have the flexibility or experience but off hand, I don't see a safe way to catch it on the way down.

funny you should say that...flexibility was a big concern for me after I took a generic Oly-class last year around this time...I had some issues and it made me sadz because I had a lot of exposure to Oly-lifting early in life and always enjoyed it.

I'm working with a coach now and he has done some incredible things with my flexibility...I can't believe some of the stuff I'm doing right now at age 40...my coach has me doing things in a month of training that I never thought I'd be able to do again.

He also wants me to lean out a bit...which kind of sucks because winter beer season and all...but oh well...sacrifices, sacrifices.

Yeah, probably the fastest way to get flexibility is to get with a trainer. I'm too lazy though
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Nice.

So are you saying he doesn't because he doesn't like the idea of a loud siren going off on hi m in the middle of his workout?

I have a great sense of humor. I work out a lot. I'm still self-conscious sometimes. If someone set a siren off on me I would be mortified to tears.
    Girl, I love a good joke.

Tell you what though... if one of goddessofawesome's friends lunk alarmed me for lulz, and I dropped the weight or anything because of it.

Well, I'm ghetto, and I like hitting people. It wouldn't end well for any party involved.
  • dbmata
    Options

Nice.

I'm at the Y so it's more a family thing. But our weight room is decently equipped. When I do the 85lb dumbells on the bench, there is no good/safe way to put them down gently. I put them to my chest then drop them to the floor. Makes a thud but there's no other way. I've seen kids with 30lb dumbells on the incline bench actually just drop them like a rapper dropping his mic after his set. I mean there's no reason for that. He easily handles the weight and it's not heavy for him. Unnecessary

I'm going to do that with a power clean/ hi-pull. Just drop it and walk out. lol.

I work out at the Y too. I can chalk up. I don't get disapproving looks when I might grunt a little with a 4 plate deadlift. They're not asshats. I'm amazed at the quality of the Ys in the state.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Our Y allows chalk but we don't push it. If it gets on the floor or plates, I/we try to clean it up. We don't to get chalk banned. Most of the Ys in the greater seattle area brand new or have been updated. Really nice facilities.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

GymPics2%20070_full.jpeg

If you want to do Oly-lifts at all, forget about it. Some PF's will allow dead lifting, but most do not. The PF I went to a couple of years ago had a squat rack, but it was only good to like 500 Lbs....

I have nothing against PF...it has it's place...and it would be worth checking out since it's cheap and will be close to you...but really, it's a decent place to get in some very general fitness...it is not a place to do proper strength/power/Oly type programs....it's just not set up for that.

• dbmata
    Options
    Our Y allows chalk but we don't push it. If it gets on the floor or plates, I/we try to clean it up. We don't to get chalk banned. Most of the Ys in the greater seattle area brand new or have been updated. Really nice facilities.
    When I lived in Ma, you'd look at the Ys and you could smell where people died.

The ones here are so completely different. There's even a huge one in Idaho...the Ray Kroc Y... apparently he gave them a huge amount of money.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Where is "here"?
  • dbmata
    Options
    WA and northern ID.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Nice.

Girl, I love a good joke.

Tell you what though... if one of goddessofawesome's friends lunk alarmed me for lulz, and I dropped the weight or anything because of it.

Well, I'm ghetto, and I like hitting people. It wouldn't end well for any party involved.

hptxp7c3ogl2.gif

This could be interesting.