Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    As long as the PF had basic equipment, you could do most of the CF stuff. Just have to be quiet about putting the weights down. I can't just drop the weight after a powerclean but fortunately I can only powerclean about 185. So that's still something I can handle putting down fairly gently
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I did not know when someone wants to be strong that they are label a powerlifter. I do not plan to go into competition for lifting. It does not mean that I want to be strong in my lifts.

Actually, I thought it was if someone lifts, but is always fat or gaining, they claim powerlifter.
  • The0dora07
    The0dora07 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I go to PF and I have the $20/month membership (Black Card) because it allows me to bring in a person everytime and a few other perks. My BF lives out of town and when he comes to visit he can come to the gym with me. I have never had issues with PF. They are always nice and professional, and they do allow me to deadlift...I have never heard them stop anyone. They do blow the horn if you drop your weights to the floor and make loud noises but that's it. It's true that they don't have all of the equipment that you'd find at other gyms but it does the job for a reasonable price. I guess it's a hit or miss based on stories I read in this post and it may depend on management. PF in Northville, MI is #dabomb!
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I did not know when someone wants to be strong that they are label a powerlifter. I do not plan to go into competition for lifting. It does not mean that I want to be strong in my lifts.

That wasn't random
  • dbmata
    Options
    They don't judge people, but they'll judge people if you they are loud.

roger that.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    As long as the PF had basic equipment, you could do most of the CF stuff. Just have to be quiet about putting the weights down. I can't just drop the weight after a powerclean but fortunately I can only powerclean about 185. So that's still something I can handle putting down fairly gently

You can lift, yes, but just can't do it with any kind of intensity. And your stuck with straight lifting or cardio machines. No box jumps, kettlebells, wall balls, etc. Is there even space for burpees? So, no, you can't do the vast majority of CrossFit stuff at a PF gym. Which is fine, but it's no where near the setup available at a CF gym.
  • kk1084
    kk1084 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness and I LOVE it. Mostly, I love the $10/mo, BUT I only do cardio, so I'm sure it's very different than the lifting piece. I've been extremely happy with my experience there :) Buuuut ...not sure if that helps.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Deborah105 wrote: »
    Listen, Planet Fitness is marketed as a gym for the average joe/jane - not power lifters. It is cheap and cheerful and they strive to keep it a place where you can go, workout, and not feel you're doing anything wrong by NOT being a power lifter or power anything. A simple and no frills type of place. If anyone needs something more rigorous then find a different type of gym. Why is this so hard?

Actually, from what I've seen they are anything but "no frills". A hard core gym tends to be "no frills" i.e. no powered cardio machines and juice bar/pro shop etc.

Power cardio machines? You mean a treadmill? plonk . . .

I don't belong any longer (recently joined LA Fitness - let the conversation begin!), but the one I went to had a juice and water machine. Fancy! :smiley:

Nothing wrong with LA Fitness...that's where I go. Two squat racks and a power cage at mine (along with three Smith machines). Preloaded bars up to 110 LBS, dumbbells in 2.5 lb increments higher than I'll ever use, and I can deadlift.
  • dbmata
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    Listen, Planet Fitness is marketed as a gym for the average joe/jane - not power lifters. It is cheap and cheerful and they strive to keep it a place where you can go, workout, and not feel you're doing anything wrong by NOT being a power lifter or power anything. A simple and no frills type of place. If anyone needs something more rigorous then find a different type of gym. Why is this so hard?

Actually, from what I've seen they are anything but "no frills". A hard core gym tends to be "no frills" i.e. no powered cardio machines and juice bar/pro shop etc.

I don't belong any longer (recently joined LA Fitness - let the conversation begin!), but the one I went to had a juice and water machine. Fancy! :smiley:

Nothing wrong with LA Fitness...that's where I go. Two squat racks and a power cage at mine (along with three Smith machines). Preloaded bars up to 110 LBS, dumbbells in 2.5 lb increments higher than I'll ever use, and I can deadlift.

That sounds like a great place. *liked*
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    Just FYI, Planet Fitness probably won't tolerate throwing/dropping weights and yelling as Crossfitters do. Might wanna read up on policy and stuff.

no gym should allow that nonsense

That is what the rubber weights are for. Dropping.

I'd love to be able to drop the weight down after a power clean to OHP. But gyms that allow that are pretty rare outside of hardcore and CF gyms.

I remember those gyms. :) Guys using 130lb non rubber dumbells for chest etc. You really had to stay out of the way. :)
    I go to one of these. It's my happy place.

Really OP, if you can afford it find an old school power lifting gym. I suspect you will be happier there. They tend to be inexpensive as well.

I paid a couple hundred bucks for the year, and live in Los Angeles where everything usually costs a body part or two.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    SLHysell wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Char231023 wrote: »
    Why would PF not allow deadlifts?
    PF and their judgy judgemental lunk alarm doesn't allow anything hard being done.

I seriously do NOT grasp this line of "reasoning" from a fitness center! Seems weird and cult-like or something.

Cult-like? I'm not sure how a privately owned business setting it's own rules is in any way comparable to a religion.

Now that I think about it..... If you think of the established gym culture as the primary religion, then PF probably would be considered a cult. That would explain why they are considered so heretical.

Perhaps just a poor word choice on my part. I didn't mean to compare it to that. I just personally find their marketing strategy strange. But, they certainly aren't the only ones and they do seem to be successful, so what do I know?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Didn't feel like listing all of the various machines like treadmills, ellipticals, stair masters, Jacobs Ladders and the list goes on. For the record I treadmill 5 to 10K runs weekly. Oh and my gym has a cooler! :p
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Just FYI, Planet Fitness probably won't tolerate throwing/dropping weights and yelling as Crossfitters do. Might wanna read up on policy and stuff.

I'd love to be able to drop the weight down after a power clean to OHP. But gyms that allow that are pretty rare outside of hardcore and CF gyms.

The only time dropping of weights intentionally tends to be acceptable is when they are bumper plates on a platform and that usually means CF, Olympic lifting or powerlifting specific areas/gyms. Bailing on a lift; however, is acceptable for safety reasons but they might have a word with you if you are habitually bailing.

When I was powerlifting, the gym had a platform that we could drop a failed dead on but not from the OHP position. Platform was too small and there were too many others too close to the area.

I can see that, particuarlly for safety reason and, of course, there is no OHP in PL. :D

THAT'S why I was red lighted last time. Thanks

3 reds and off to the showers!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Smith machines. Booooooooooooooooooo. You should ask them to trash those for more squat racks and power cage.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

Smith machines. Booooooooooooooooooo. You should ask them to trash those for more squat racks and power cage.

Except I already have no problem getting the cage because everyone else there uses the Smiths :: shrugs ::
  • dbmata
    Options

The only time dropping of weights intentionally tends to be acceptable is when they are bumper plates on a platform and that usually means CF, Olympic lifting or powerlifting specific areas/gyms. Bailing on a lift; however, is acceptable for safety reasons but they might have a word with you if you are habitually bailing.

When I was powerlifting, the gym had a platform that we could drop a failed dead on but not from the OHP position. Platform was too small and there were too many others too close to the area.

I can see that, particuarlly for safety reason and, of course, there is no OHP in PL. :D

LOL, sounds like lunch.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

LOL, sounds like lunch.

Hungry now!
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

You can lift, yes, but just can't do it with any kind of intensity. And your stuck with straight lifting or cardio machines. No box jumps, kettlebells, wall balls, etc. Is there even space for burpees? So, no, you can't do the vast majority of CrossFit stuff at a PF gym. Which is fine, but it's no where near the setup available at a CF gym.

Probably not exactly like CF ie... like to done one of the WOD but not bad?
    GymPics2%20070_full.jpeg
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Except I already have no problem getting the cage because everyone else there uses the Smiths :: shrugs ::

Complete opposite at my gym but it's easy to get the SM for shrugs and calf raises at least.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Probably not exactly like CF ie... like to done one of the WOD but not bad?
    GymPics2%20070_full.jpeg

Not terrible space wise. I wonder if they would lunk you if you did burpees in between sets or something. Like a WOD after a lifting session.