Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My PF in Pensacola, Florida is great. I have seen none of the "profiling" I hear mentioned on this site. It looks like the membership is truly a cross section of the community. I see muscle bound people there, and obese people there. Everyone seems very nice and respectful. I have no complaints whatsoever and highly recommend that particular gym.

And the Tootsie Rolls are a nice touch.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    avoid PF. Seriously. Tears. Pain. Gnashing.

Find a real gym.

^ This. I joined planet fitness when I moved to my current area, it was on the way to and from work, it was cheap and I thought, how bad could it really be? There was no squat rack, highest pre-set barbell weight was 60lbs so that was useless, and I got yelled at for trying to do deadlifts. I know someone who was kicked out for it. It was a miserable experience and I was happy when I moved 2 towns over, found a closer (real) gym, I pay $40 a month, they have personal training, actual barbells, dumbbells, squat racks, multiple benches and really everything you'd expect from a proper gym. Don't waste your time or money if you are coming from a CrossFit gym. Find something that may be a little more expensive but will be a place that you will actually enjoy going.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It's fine for just the cardio equipment, IMO. I like lifting at home though so find it's worth adding a set of dumbbells every month if you can add it to your budget.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Hey so can someone clarify. Can you deadlift at Planet Fitness? Also what is the highest weight dumbell they have? I don't think this has been mentioned yet.

I had a membership like 4 years ago. It used to be a decent gym. Now I do not know what to call it. I'm almost at the point where I would wear some type of camera and have a visit/leg day session. I squat and deadlift heavy on leg days. See how many lunk alarms I get in one visit.

• SLHysell
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    If you were into CrossFit, you will hate Planet Fitness. They won't let you lift heavy there either, or wear what you want, or check out your form in the mirror. If you get too into your workout, they will lunk alarm you.

This is simply untrue of my PF. They do not police what you can lift. They have lots of mirrors specifically so you can check your form, and although they do have a dress code, it is not over-restrictive at all. Sleeveless seems to be completely acceptable, and hot pants are everywhere. If by "get into your workout", you mean loudly grunt like an animal and disrupt everyone else's workout, then you may have a case on that last point.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Is PF one of those gyms that will automatically cancel your membership for doing dumbbell snatches? You know right there it's a cool move when they do that! :D
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if I could so my squats/deads/power cleans in a PF, I'd join. Especially for that price.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    because of the no contract price of $10 a month, give it a try if it is conveniently located for you. If you think you need the full spectrum of free weights to squat and deadlift, then look elsewhere. Many people who complain the dumbbells "only" go up to 80 pounds are either delusional or advanced lifters who know they need a free weight focused gym. PF is an inexpensive option for the novice and there are reasons it is only $10 per month. You get what you pay for.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    SLHysell wrote: »
    If you were into CrossFit, you will hate Planet Fitness. They won't let you lift heavy there either, or wear what you want, or check out your form in the mirror. If you get too into your workout, they will lunk alarm you.

This is simply untrue of my PF. They do not police what you can lift. They have lots of mirrors specifically so you can check your form, and although they do have a dress code, it is not over-restrictive at all. Sleeveless seems to be completely acceptable, and hot pants are everywhere. If by "get into your workout", you mean loudly grunt like an animal and disrupt everyone else's workout, then you may have a case on that last point.

Stereotype much?
  • Trans3last
    Options
    Just go where it works for you. Avoid the "go to a real gym" elitism. It's not a matter of "anyone letting you", it's a matter of what works for you. So don't be a troublemaker and join, and "being surprised" about the rules. All fitness centers have rules. People that act ignorant of the rules, and get "surprised" that they can't do "such and such" exercise" are trying to get attention, nothing else. Gym time is not a fashion show, and some females need to admit the need to wear a 5x.
  • SLHysell
    Options

Stereotype much?

I didn't stereotype anyone. I described a behavior that is likely to be frowned upon at a Planet Fitness.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, Planet Fitness probably won't tolerate throwing/dropping weights and yelling as Crossfitters do. Might wanna read up on policy and stuff.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, Planet Fitness probably won't tolerate throwing/dropping weights and yelling as Crossfitters do. Might wanna read up on policy and stuff.

no gym should allow that nonsense
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »

That is what the rubber weights are for. Dropping.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    mojohowitz wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus. Here we go again... If all you need is an elliptical, treadmill and some light weights it's fine. If you need more, you should probably find a different place.
    If you read my post, I already have those things at the gym in my office. But what I need is an affordable place with heavier weights and real barbells. My options are NYSC ($100 a month) or PF ($10), and I'm trying to access from actual personal experiences if it would be worth it. The location isn't open yet, so I dont know yet what equipment they will have

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Trans3last wrote: »
    Just go where it works for you. Avoid the "go to a real gym" elitism. It's not a matter of "anyone letting you", it's a matter of what works for you. So don't be a troublemaker and join, and "being surprised" about the rules. All fitness centers have rules. People that act ignorant of the rules, and get "surprised" that they can't do "such and such" exercise" are trying to get attention, nothing else. Gym time is not a fashion show, and some females need to admit the need to wear a 5x.

strong newbie post. lol.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    mojohowitz wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus. Here we go again... If all you need is an elliptical, treadmill and some light weights it's fine. If you need more, you should probably find a different place.
    If you read my post, I already have those things at the gym in my office. But what I need is an affordable place with heavier weights and real barbells. My options are NYSC ($100 a month) or PF ($10), and I'm trying to access from actual personal experiences if it would be worth it. The location isn't open yet, so I dont know yet what equipment they will have

go with nysc and avoid wasting time.
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am also by NYC area, do you have Crunch by you? I like it a much better and it's a really good gym, it's about $70 a month if you only go to one location. The NYSC by my office is like $70 a month, the one by you is pretty expensive.. maybe their price will drop once PF opens. Good luck

btw, saw your pic and what great progress you have made! You look great! Wish I can do OHS, been dying to try that :-P
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »

If you are exerting yourself to your limit, a grunt might happen. That doesn't mean I condone yelling at the top of your lungs, but it happens.

If you are looking to find your one rep max on a lift and you stacked too much weight, or you are having an off day, the only safe way to get out of it is to bail. That involves dropping the barbell. That's why there are rubber weights.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Stereotype much?

I didn't stereotype anyone. I described a behavior that is likely to be frowned upon at a Planet Fitness.

Right, and that's what's stupid about it. If you have to drop a weight because you can't lift it, it's better to drop it than to hurt yourself. We all have off days.

And, your experience at your gym is not in line with what I have heard at others. My friend gut lunked for checking out her form in the mirror. She was mortified.