Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    SLHysell wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    If you were into CrossFit, you will hate Planet Fitness. They won't let you lift heavy there either, or wear what you want, or check out your form in the mirror. If you get too into your workout, they will lunk alarm you.

This is simply untrue of my PF. They do not police what you can lift. They have lots of mirrors specifically so you can check your form, and although they do have a dress code, it is not over-restrictive at all. Sleeveless seems to be completely acceptable, and hot pants are everywhere. If by "get into your workout", you mean loudly grunt like an animal and disrupt everyone else's workout, then you may have a case on that last point.

Stereotype much?

I didn't stereotype anyone. I described a behavior that is likely to be frowned upon at a Planet Fitness.

Sorry, but the way it was stated looked like you were stereotyping those of us who workout hard as being disruptive. I can assure that this is not something you see a lot and is frowned upon by most other lifters as being rather comical at best and outright rude and annoying at worst.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    If you were into CrossFit, you will hate Planet Fitness. They won't let you lift heavy there either, or wear what you want, or check out your form in the mirror. If you get too into your workout, they will lunk alarm you.

This is simply untrue of my PF. They do not police what you can lift. They have lots of mirrors specifically so you can check your form, and although they do have a dress code, it is not over-restrictive at all. Sleeveless seems to be completely acceptable, and hot pants are everywhere. If by "get into your workout", you mean loudly grunt like an animal and disrupt everyone else's workout, then you may have a case on that last point.

And, also, I'm giving her advice from one CrossFitter to another. It's an entirely different culture. If she's into the CrossFit culture, she will not like the PF culture. I can guarantee it.
  • PRMinx
    edited November 2014
    Options

Stereotype much?

I didn't stereotype anyone. I described a behavior that is likely to be frowned upon at a Planet Fitness.

Sorry, but the way it was stated looked like you were stereotyping those of us who workout hard as being disruptive. I can assure that this is not something you see a lot and is frowned upon by most other lifters as being rather comical at best and outright rude and annoying at worst.

Comparing people who are working out hard to animals is pretty stereotypical and very much what I would expect from the PF culture.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Char231023 wrote: »
    Why would PF not allow deadlifts?
    PF and their judgy judgemental lunk alarm doesn't allow anything hard being done.

I seriously do NOT grasp this line of "reasoning" from a fitness center! Seems weird and cult-like or something.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    Just FYI, Planet Fitness probably won't tolerate throwing/dropping weights and yelling as Crossfitters do. Might wanna read up on policy and stuff.

no gym should allow that nonsense

That is what the rubber weights are for. Dropping.

I'd love to be able to drop the weight down after a power clean to OHP. But gyms that allow that are pretty rare outside of hardcore and CF gyms.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Stereotype much?

Comparing people who are working out hard to animals is pretty stereotypical and very much what I would expect from the PF culture.

True, I give the benefit of the doubt (i.e. most generous reading) and assume he was refering to people who are grunting in a loud and exagerated manner. It is; however, inappropriate to label lifters as animals and I'm hoping that's not what he actually meant. I will give him that benefit.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Just FYI, Planet Fitness probably won't tolerate throwing/dropping weights and yelling as Crossfitters do. Might wanna read up on policy and stuff.

I'd love to be able to drop the weight down after a power clean to OHP. But gyms that allow that are pretty rare outside of hardcore and CF gyms.

The only time dropping of weights intentionally tends to be acceptable is when they are bumper plates on a platform and that usually means CF, Olympic lifting or powerlifting specific areas/gyms. Bailing on a lift; however, is acceptable for safety reasons but they might have a word with you if you are habitually bailing.

ETA my current gym only has one area like that and it for PT only...sometimes I hate my gym!
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    mojohowitz wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus. Here we go again... If all you need is an elliptical, treadmill and some light weights it's fine. If you need more, you should probably find a different place.
    If you read my post, I already have those things at the gym in my office. But what I need is an affordable place with heavier weights and real barbells. My options are NYSC ($100 a month) or PF ($10), and I'm trying to access from actual personal experiences if it would be worth it. The location isn't open yet, so I dont know yet what equipment they will have

I am currently at a gym that is $10.00 a month and have been at ones that were $100.00 plus a month. I too needed heavier weights and barbells. The $10.00 is way over crowded. Granted they have a lot of equipment and pretty big, but I want to kill someone when you cannot get a bench or machine for a while. You can only do so much standing around. I go to the gym after 8:30pm late and that kinda makes it better, but if I had the money I would go to the more expensive one. Luckily I go late so less crowed and only need 3 nights a week for the heavy lifting. Wait till March/April comes and everyone wants to get in shape for the summer. :) Good luck! :)
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Hey so can someone clarify. Can you deadlift at Planet Fitness? Also what is the highest weight dumbell they have? I don't think this has been mentioned yet.

I had a membership like 4 years ago. It used to be a decent gym. Now I do not know what to call it. I'm almost at the point where I would wear some type of camera and have a visit/leg day session. I squat and deadlift heavy on leg days. See how many lunk alarms I get in one visit.

I'm sure none, as they advertise themselves as a "Judgment Free Zone." ;)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I would just wait and check it out when it opens. Most of them are very limited as far as free weights go, but I hear sometimes about PFs with squat racks that don't discourage lifting. I think the franchises vary.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

The only time dropping of weights intentionally tends to be acceptable is when they are bumper plates on a platform and that usually means CF, Olympic lifting or powerlifting specific areas/gyms. Bailing on a lift; however, is acceptable for safety reasons but they might have a word with you if you are habitually bailing.

When I was powerlifting, the gym had a platform that we could drop a failed dead on but not from the OHP position. Platform was too small and there were too many others too close to the area.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options

I remember those gyms. :) Guys using 130lb non rubber dumbells for chest etc. You really had to stay out of the way. :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    PF is not meant to be for heavy serious lifters. They don't try and hide that fact and in fact they promote that fact because they are geared to a different audience. Not sure why that is so hard to accept by so many people. it is a successful business and it is a cheap way for someone to get into going to a gym and getting some exercise.
  • gallifreyfallsnomore1
    Options
    I have some friends that go to Crunch gym. They're pretty happy with it.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I used them as a supplemental gym for awhile (because they were a mile from my office), and I didn't hate it. The corporate owner of a gym doesn't matter as much as the manager and the regulars, IMHO. I got really lucky and found one with a dedicated group of regulars who all lifted, so it wasn't too bad. I'd go check them out and try to get a feel for the environment.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    PF is not meant to be for heavy serious lifters. They don't try and hide that fact and in fact they promote that fact because they are geared to a different audience. Not sure why that is so hard to accept by so many people. it is a successful business and it is a cheap way for someone to get into going to a gym and getting some exercise.

I agree to an extent. What bothers me is their slogan of being a "Judgment Free Zone," but their commercials are extremely judgmental.

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Depends on how closely the new location aligns its rules w/ PF Corporate's. Assuming you can sign up with no contract, give it a try. If it works, great...and if not, then no real loss.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

I agree to an extent. What bothers me is their slogan of being a "Judgment Free Zone," but their commercials are extremely judgmental.

Yep!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

When I was powerlifting, the gym had a platform that we could drop a failed dead on but not from the OHP position. Platform was too small and there were too many others too close to the area.

I can see that, particuarlly for safety reason and, of course, there is no OHP in PL. :D