Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    PF is not meant to be for heavy serious lifters. They don't try and hide that fact and in fact they promote that fact because they are geared to a different audience. Not sure why that is so hard to accept by so many people. it is a successful business and it is a cheap way for someone to get into going to a gym and getting some exercise.

I am well aware that it's not a place for serious lifters. I'm also not trying to use PF to hit new PRs, I'm pretty sure my snatches and C&Js are going to suffer, but being able to work at 75% load to maintain strength and form is far preferable to my current situation, which has me pretty much relying on body-weight workouts
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Listen, Planet Fitness is marketed as a gym for the average joe/jane - not power lifters. It is cheap and cheerful and they strive to keep it a place where you can go, workout, and not feel you're doing anything wrong by NOT being a power lifter or power anything. A simple and no frills type of place. If anyone needs something more rigorous then find a different type of gym. Why is this so hard?
  • charlesmauch
    charlesmauch Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I visited my sister, who lives next to a PF. I had an hour to kill while one of her kids had to visit the doctor (another story) so I walked over to check it out.

The very first thing I saw walking in was a table full of (free) pizza.

The "weight room" was ridiculously small, and under-equipped. I didn't see any plates or olympic barbells. My workouts are very very simple. I bench press, overhead press, power clean, deadlift and squat. That's all I need really.

As I was standing there looking at the pathetic weight room and the "lunk alarm" I was wondering if it was even possible to perform any of those. A friendly staff member walked over and asked me if I had any questions. I asked if they had any would have problem with me power cleaning, since it yeah - it can make some noise.

His reply.... "We keep all of our equipment really clean".

I walked out and never returned.

I think if all your going to do is cardio, PF is probably a good deal.

If your looking for a "cheap" gym, look closely around your neighborhood. You might be surprised to find an old boxing gym or a community center with a weight room. Shop around on craigslist and look for "garage gyms" too. I was surprised to learn that there are usually one or two setup in pretty much every "storage unit" in the area.
  • april32many
    Options
    I went to PF for years. It was a rather large one and I currently have a membership at a smaller one (unfortunately I'm not making much use of it). There is a squat bar and I see guys bench pressing, etc. and there are some pretty burly guys and gals that work out there. At the old one there was dead lifting but I've not seen it so much at the new place. I've never done heavy lifting (I've never lifted over 60 lbs. for example) so if that's your goal, as it seems to be, definitely invest in another gym. Although, It can't hurt for you to visit and just take a peek at what you could do there?
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    SLHysell wrote: »
    If you were into CrossFit, you will hate Planet Fitness. They won't let you lift heavy there either, or wear what you want, or check out your form in the mirror. If you get too into your workout, they will lunk alarm you.

This is simply untrue of my PF. They do not police what you can lift. They have lots of mirrors specifically so you can check your form, and although they do have a dress code, it is not over-restrictive at all. Sleeveless seems to be completely acceptable, and hot pants are everywhere. If by "get into your workout", you mean loudly grunt like an animal and disrupt everyone else's workout, then you may have a case on that last point.

And, also, I'm giving her advice from one CrossFitter to another. It's an entirely different culture. If she's into the CrossFit culture, she will not like the PF culture. I can guarantee it.

That makes sense. That is why it bugs me when people crap on PF for trying to create a specific environment. I'm fine with CrossFit culture.. or any other gym culture. It's just not necessarily my culture, and I'd rather it not invade my space. PF has created a space that tries to keep that from happening. Before you get upset by that, please think about this analogy.

I LOVE music. I am a musician. I get it. However, I don't like it at all when my neighbor cranks his stereo up to 11 so that the sound invades the space at my house thus disturbing my sleep or my TV time or my concentration when trying to work at the computer. Similarly, when I'm in the gym, I don't want sudden crashes (dropping weights) or grunts (I apologize for the animal reference;I was simply trying to be descriptive) invading my own little world and distracting me from the goals I'm trying to achieve . I don't think that's unreasonable to ask in a place that openly advertises that it is not permitted.

I don't understand why we can't just choose the gym that best suits our own style without feeling the need to pass judgement. I mean seriously, I won't be complaining that the more traditional gyms don't have rules that fit my opinion. I just won't go there. I honestly can't understand the animosity people on the other traditional side have toward those of us who prefer a quieter environment. Honestly. Why would anyone want to go to a PF if they didn't like the clearly stated rules? I just don't get it.

• Deborah105
    Options
    This is what you do if anyone ever complains to you while lifting: hmmmm im sorry does my success and achivement somehow bother you. If so you can try to become a better individual yourself, until that time though you're going to take your negativity, mediocrity, and yourself far far away from me. Have a wonderful day:)

sweet geezuz
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    PF is not meant to be for heavy serious lifters. They don't try and hide that fact and in fact they promote that fact because they are geared to a different audience. Not sure why that is so hard to accept by so many people. it is a successful business and it is a cheap way for someone to get into going to a gym and getting some exercise.

I agree to an extent. What bothers me is their slogan of being a "Judgment Free Zone," but their commercials are extremely judgmental.

^^ agree!
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Char231023 wrote: »
    Why would PF not allow deadlifts?
    PF and their judgy judgemental lunk alarm doesn't allow anything hard being done.

I seriously do NOT grasp this line of "reasoning" from a fitness center! Seems weird and cult-like or something.

Cult-like? I'm not sure how a privately owned business setting it's own rules is in any way comparable to a religion.

Now that I think about it..... If you think of the established gym culture as the primary religion, then PF probably would be considered a cult. That would explain why they are considered so heretical.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Just FYI, Planet Fitness probably won't tolerate throwing/dropping weights and yelling as Crossfitters do. Might wanna read up on policy and stuff.

no gym should allow that nonsense

That is what the rubber weights are for. Dropping.

I'd love to be able to drop the weight down after a power clean to OHP. But gyms that allow that are pretty rare outside of hardcore and CF gyms.

The only time dropping of weights intentionally tends to be acceptable is when they are bumper plates on a platform and that usually means CF, Olympic lifting or powerlifting specific areas/gyms. Bailing on a lift; however, is acceptable for safety reasons but they might have a word with you if you are habitually bailing.

When I was powerlifting, the gym had a platform that we could drop a failed dead on but not from the OHP position. Platform was too small and there were too many others too close to the area.

I can see that, particuarlly for safety reason and, of course, there is no OHP in PL. :D

THAT'S why I was red lighted last time. Thanks
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Deborah105 wrote: »
    Listen, Planet Fitness is marketed as a gym for the average joe/jane - not power lifters. It is cheap and cheerful and they strive to keep it a place where you can go, workout, and not feel you're doing anything wrong by NOT being a power lifter or power anything. A simple and no frills type of place. If anyone needs something more rigorous then find a different type of gym. Why is this so hard?

Actually, from what I've seen they are anything but "no frills". A hard core gym tends to be "no frills" i.e. no powered cardio machines and juice bar/pro shop etc.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    Options
    A few months ago I visited my sister, who lives next to a PF. I had an hour to kill while one of her kids had to visit the doctor (another story) so I walked over to check it out.

The very first thing I saw walking in was a table full of (free) pizza.

The "weight room" was ridiculously small, and under-equipped. I didn't see any plates or olympic barbells. My workouts are very very simple. I bench press, overhead press, power clean, deadlift and squat. That's all I need really.

As I was standing there looking at the pathetic weight room and the "lunk alarm" I was wondering if it was even possible to perform any of those. A friendly staff member walked over and asked me if I had any questions. I asked if they had any would have problem with me power cleaning, since it yeah - it can make some noise.

His reply.... "We keep all of our equipment really clean".

I walked out and never returned.

I think if all your going to do is cardio, PF is probably a good deal.

If your looking for a "cheap" gym, look closely around your neighborhood. You might be surprised to find an old boxing gym or a community center with a weight room. Shop around on craigslist and look for "garage gyms" too. I was surprised to learn that there are usually one or two setup in pretty much every "storage unit" in the area.

Yea... I work in Manhattan in the financial district and I live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn- notorious nationwide for being anything but cheap
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    Options

Like I said, I don't expect to hit new PRs, I just want to be able to workout with weights since I currently have none. PF is pretty much my only option in my price range that is also close enough to go to at lunch. (I'm a single mom, so after work and weekends are not an option)
  • Deborah105
    Options

Actually, from what I've seen they are anything but "no frills". A hard core gym tends to be "no frills" i.e. no powered cardio machines and juice bar/pro shop etc.

Power cardio machines? You mean a treadmill? plonk . . .

I don't belong any longer (recently joined LA Fitness - let the conversation begin!), but the one I went to had a juice and water machine. Fancy! :smiley:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Like I said, I don't expect to hit new PRs, I just want to be able to workout with weights since I currently have none. PF is pretty much my only option in my price range that is also close enough to go to at lunch. (I'm a single mom, so after work and weekends are not an option)

If that's all that's available to you, then that's what you should do. Maybe something that's a better fit will open up at some point. I think you'll be fine, just might get frustrated from time to time.

I'm sure PF is fine as a stepping stone or in a pinch. The only thing I can't stand about PF is their judgmental, non-judgmental hypocrisy. And the lunk alarm is stupid.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

PF worked well enough for me for that exact reason. Also, it was much quieter during lunch than it would've been during their peak hours so I didn't feel any weirdness about lifting. (I could see them being snottier about lifters when it's more crowded. During lunch, everyone pretty much left everyone else alone). Like I said, though, that was much more a function of the rest of the people who used that particular PF. It felt much more lifter-friendly than some of their other locations seem to be.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    SLHysell wrote: »
    If you were into CrossFit, you will hate Planet Fitness. They won't let you lift heavy there either, or wear what you want, or check out your form in the mirror. If you get too into your workout, they will lunk alarm you.

This is simply untrue of my PF. They do not police what you can lift. They have lots of mirrors specifically so you can check your form, and although they do have a dress code, it is not over-restrictive at all. Sleeveless seems to be completely acceptable, and hot pants are everywhere. If by "get into your workout", you mean loudly grunt like an animal and disrupt everyone else's workout, then you may have a case on that last point.

And, also, I'm giving her advice from one CrossFitter to another. It's an entirely different culture. If she's into the CrossFit culture, she will not like the PF culture. I can guarantee it.
    Yup, CFers work hard. PFers line up for pizza and purple cardio machines.
  • dbmata
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Just FYI, Planet Fitness probably won't tolerate throwing/dropping weights and yelling as Crossfitters do. Might wanna read up on policy and stuff.

no gym should allow that nonsense

That is what the rubber weights are for. Dropping.

I'd love to be able to drop the weight down after a power clean to OHP. But gyms that allow that are pretty rare outside of hardcore and CF gyms.

The only time dropping of weights intentionally tends to be acceptable is when they are bumper plates on a platform and that usually means CF, Olympic lifting or powerlifting specific areas/gyms. Bailing on a lift; however, is acceptable for safety reasons but they might have a word with you if you are habitually bailing.

When I was powerlifting, the gym had a platform that we could drop a failed dead on but not from the OHP position. Platform was too small and there were too many others too close to the area.

I can see that, particuarlly for safety reason and, of course, there is no OHP in PL. :D

Details.
  • dbmata
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

I agree to an extent. What bothers me is their slogan of being a "Judgment Free Zone," but their commercials are extremely judgmental.

You don't say.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Rn5mzEAMAkY
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

PF worked well enough for me for that exact reason. Also, it was much quieter during lunch than it would've been during their peak hours so I didn't feel any weirdness about lifting. (I could see them being snottier about lifters when it's more crowded. During lunch, everyone pretty much left everyone else alone). Like I said, though, that was much more a function of the rest of the people who used that particular PF. It felt much more lifter-friendly than some of their other locations seem to be.

Thank you! I'm hoping to check out this location soon and praying it has a squat rack
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I did not know when someone wants to be strong that they are label a powerlifter. I do not plan to go into competition for lifting. It does not mean that I want to be strong in my lifts.