How long between reps before it's not a "set" anymore?

Options
I know this will be a matter of opinion for everyone, but I'm just curious where people draw a line, if any, for how long you would pause between reps before you consider stopping a set or consider it not "a set" anymore?

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    No? Not even a titter? Tough sub.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I would not wait over 2 minutes between sets. I generally try not to rest much over a minute, if that long.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster.. I usually rest between 60-90 seconds before starting the next set of reps
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    None? I mean, for a straight-up "set", anyway. There are two variations I do that do involve pausing - if I can't finish a set at a given weight, I will grab a lighter weight and finish it, so there's a couple seconds there to change weights. Another thing I just started playing with is where you do a full set, then rest for one or two deep breaths (don't put the weights down), then do two more reps. Theoretically that gives you the same benefits as doing another whole set but I have no idea yet if it works in practice or not.
  • Opie1980
    Opie1980 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A set is a set. What I think that you are asking is more towards the actual exercise. It really depends on the goal that you are trying to achieve. Since this is weight loss type of forum I am going to agree with the others that posted. When I was training for power I was using very low reps and sometimes I would rest for about 4 minutes.

Sorry I read your question wrong. Previous paragraph still stands. Still a set is a set no matter how many reps you do or how long it takes you to do them. As long as the weight is not resting against something and you are still holding the weight then you are still trying to complete a set. When I am trying a one rep max it may take me 10s to complete that one rep.

So one a different it all boils down to time under tension.There are some types of training where you have 6s negatives or positives. That would be the max for me if I were working one rep other than my one rep max.
  • Lessthanpenguins
    Lessthanpenguins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Are you refering to a pause during a set or between the sets? During a set, the only pause you should have would be to swap weights if you are struggling to much to finish a proper rep. Between sets, i found i get best results at 30-90 seconds.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're talking about.

Are you asking whether re-setting your hands between dead lift reps is a set (yes) or whether the 30 second catch your breath between curls is a set (no)?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Are you asking about resetting your hand position each time you come down while deadlifting? I'd give it just enough time to reset your hands and adjust your position so you keep correct form. That shouldn't take much longer than a few seconds.

If you're talking about rest between sets (which I don't think you were), then take what you need. If you're there to lift and not circuit train it doesn't matter.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    .On the subject of 'widowmaker' sets of squats:

"It varies with the length of the set. 5 or fewer get a breath to reset. Longer sets might take 2 breaths. During the last few reps of a true 20RM squat, just do what Jesus tells you. Trust me, if you do an honest 20 rep program, at some point Jesus will talk to you. On the last day of the program, he asked if he could work in." -Mark Rippetoe

Makes sense to me.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Mostly I'm talking about during a 15RM of squats. It's about 45 seconds of squatting time. Holding my breath for 45 solid seconds plus all that exertion obviously would not be feasible. I typically end up doing a handful, then taking maybe 5-10 seconds to breathe, then another few, etc.

Also since someone mentioned between sets, when I'm doing 5RMs I tend to rest 5 full minutes between sets. I've found I can't complete the next set(s) without that much recovery time.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    why would you need to hold your breath the entire time? can't you just time your inhales and exhales to your movements?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're doing really.

Heavy lifts at sets of 1 to 5 reps, 3 to 5 minutes is acceptable.
    Rep max-outs (high reps): 2 to 4 minutes can be used
    Moderate sets like 8-10 reps 1 to 2 minutes isn't unheard of.
    Circuit training: 30 to 60 seconds
    Dynamic lifts: depends on the lift and reps, can be as low as 10-seconds or as much as 60-seconds.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Rest-Pause is a valid method of forced reps IMO. So if you can't get another full rep, pause for a few seconds while still holding the weight and go for one or two more.

Drop sets are another forced rep method, so that's gotta be a couple of seconds to switch weight.

Any more than about 10 seconds an you're just resting I reckon, but of course it depends what you're doing - 20 reps of squats and you may need a bit of a pause at 10 to steady yourself on your feet!
  • Nikita839
    Nikita839 Posts: 10
    Options
    Right now I am doing 120sec. between sets.. Depends what you are doing right? More rest, lets your muscles rest (say to lift a heavy set) less rest usually coincides with increased heart rate for fat loss? I wouldn't go over 2 minutes.. Although I have seen powerlifters do it..
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I don't hold my breath while lifting, therefore, no pause between reps normally. If I'm struggling with a set I might take an extra breath before the next lift. On Squats, for example, why not inhale as you go down and exhale and you go up? I thought that the actually the way it was supposed to be.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Mostly I'm talking about during a 15RM of squats. It's about 45 seconds of squatting time. Holding my breath for 45 solid seconds plus all that exertion obviously would not be feasible. I typically end up doing a handful, then taking maybe 5-10 seconds to breathe, then another few, etc.

Also since someone mentioned between sets, when I'm doing 5RMs I tend to rest 5 full minutes between sets. I've found I can't complete the next set(s) without that much recovery time.

I'd count it as one set. You have the bar on your shoulders the entire time, and rest pause squats are extremely taxing.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Don't hold your breath during any exercise. Inhale during the negative (eccentric) and exhale during the lifting (concentric). To answer the question your squats are lasting 45 sec. If you didn't re-rack the weight then it's still a set. Look into breathing squats which are done for 20 reps with a weight you would normally fail around 12-15 reps. Do the the 12-15 reps in a normal fashion but don't re-rack the weight. Instead take 5-10 deep breaths and squat again. Keep doing this until you hit 20 reps no matter how long it takes.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Lets say your last you're working with 8 reps per set.

If your last set isn't 4 mini sets of 2 you're not lifting heavy enough.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm confused by the holding of the breath thing. I've never heard of this.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    i wait as long as i feel recovered then i do my set no rush