How long between reps before it's not a "set" anymore?

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    LOL people have read several different 'questions' here. I wasn't asking what I should do but just out of curiosity what others do as far as breathing/resting inside one set.

I'm doing the 15 rep portion of HST. For those unfamiliar, there is also 10's and 5's and negatives, so yes I am lifting more than my 15RM, just not this week. The purpose of the 15's is to produce lots of lactic acid. If you haven't tried it, squat 2/3rds of your 1RM 15 times and you might also have a religious experience, LOL.

As far as not breathing during squats, I'm talking about Valsalva's maneuver. If you're doing squats without needing to tighten your core I'm not sure what you're doing. If I breathe with every rep then I'm hyperventilating and will get dizzy from that instead. I've tried various 'patterns' and none of them work. But when in this state, 2-3 very deep breaths will put me nearly back at 100%, so that's what I do and then continue.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Like I and a couple of others stated, you didn't re-rack the weight so it's still a set. No mater how long it takes.
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Ok so question I bench then do two types of leg extensions then kettle bell squat, then do it over three times all sets of 12. I do pretty much the same for curls, triceps and flys is that wrong then. I just find it easier than doing 12 of one resting a few seconds and continuing so I just keep going. Hope that made sense
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    Ok so question I bench then do two types of leg extensions then kettle bell squat, then do it over three times all sets of 12. I do pretty much the same for curls, triceps and flys is that wrong then. I just find it easier than doing 12 of one resting a few seconds and continuing so I just keep going. Hope that made sense
    Looks like you are doing circuit training. I haven't read too much on it but it seems it can increase your VO2 and allow you to get a fullbody workout in less time. Probably not ideal for some one who wants to put on muscle but good for overall fitness. If you enjoy it, keep at it.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I read that wrong. I read it as how much time between sets. I don't take any time between reps. I go until I hit my reps or until failure, whichever comes first. If I hit failure too soon, then I am using too much weight and I will back it off next time I do that workout. If I am not right at failure by my last rep of my last set, I am not doing enough weight so I add weight next time I do that workout.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Why are you holding your breath?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    I read that wrong. I read it as how much time between sets. I don't take any time between reps. I go until I hit my reps or until failure, whichever comes first. If I hit failure too soon, then I am using too much weight and I will back it off next time I do that workout. If I am not right at failure by my last rep of my last set, I am not doing enough weight so I add weight next time I do that workout.
    I guess that depends on how you define failure, because there are two different things going on:
    1- your muscles run out of fuel and are incapable of working any more.
    2- your heart rate maxes out and if you exert more you will risk various problems.

For example by doing single arm dumbell curls I could exhaust my arm rendering it unusable while barely raising my HR. Conversely, doing squats I can raise my HR to max within a couple of reps (I've worn an HRM and watched it happen) yet all of the muscles involved are still capable of working if I wanted to go on immediately.

When I am doing my 2RM of squats I hit failure via #1 first. When I am doing 5RM I will hit failure via #2 before the 5th rep. If I were to lower weight to complete 5 reps without pausing, for example, then I would be doing 5 reps using only my 15RM. ;)
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Don't hold your breath during any exercise. Inhale during the negative (eccentric) and exhale during the lifting (concentric).

Holding your breath stabilizes your core while lifting heavy weights. It is the right thing to do.
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    Don't hold your breath during any exercise. Inhale during the negative (eccentric) and exhale during the lifting (concentric).

Holding your breath stabilizes your core while lifting heavy weights. It is the right thing to do.
    I let me air very slowly during heavy lifts especially squats and deads. I don't begin letting the air out until I get the weight about 1/4 to 1/2 up.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I guess that depends on how you define failure, because there are two different things going on:
    2- your heart rate maxes out and if you exert more you will risk various problems.

For example by doing single arm dumbell curls I could exhaust my arm rendering it unusable while barely raising my HR. Conversely, doing squats I can raise my HR to max within a couple of reps (I've worn an HRM and watched it happen) yet all of the muscles involved are still capable of working if I wanted to go on immediately.

When I am doing my 2RM of squats I hit failure via #1 first. When I am doing 5RM I will hit failure via #2 before the 5th rep. If I were to lower weight to complete 5 reps without pausing, for example, then I would be doing 5 reps using only my 15RM. ;)

Muscle failure. Or I go until my form suffers. I pay zero attention to heart rate with doing resistance training. Generally, if I can do 3 sets of 8-10 reps using proper form, I increase my weight next time.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Holding your breath can lead to dangerous increases in blood pressure.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

Muscle failure. Or I go until my form suffers. I pay zero attention to heart rate with doing resistance training. Generally, if I can do 3 sets of 8-10 reps using proper form, I increase my weight next time.
    Huh, interesting. I suppose we each have varying ratios of "heart capability" versus "muscle capability" then. If I were to sprint as fast as possible for as long as possible, like a big predator was chasing me, I would see pulsing spots and then black out, and my legs would still be ready to go. I suspect others might have their legs give out on them first.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

I have seen this stated in various places, and hypothetically it sounds valid. However what I haven't seen is any numbers or examples to back it up. Are people being carried out of gyms on stretchers after having strokes during heavy lifts, and I'm just not hearing about it?
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

then you better inform EVERYONE who lifts advanced strength lifts or higher. Because they all do it...

do you even lift? Because anyone who does knows you hold your breath to stabilize yourself. I mean this is heavy lifting 101 stuff dude.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Mostly I'm talking about during a 15RM of squats. It's about 45 seconds of squatting time. Holding my breath for 45 solid seconds plus all that exertion obviously would not be feasible. I typically end up doing a handful, then taking maybe 5-10 seconds to breathe, then another few, etc.

Also since someone mentioned between sets, when I'm doing 5RMs I tend to rest 5 full minutes between sets. I've found I can't complete the next set(s) without that much recovery time.

This is what I thought you meant. And the answer is take all the time that you need. When I'm going mega heavy for a few reps or sorta heavy for 20 reps, toward the end I'll stand there and take 5 deep breaths with the bar on my back, do 1 rep, and take a bunch of breaths again. It's fine.

Also, I only hold my breath during the rep, and I exhale on the way up. Holding your breath for 45 secs while under heavy exertion is a recipe to come up dizzy and fall into something after you sets up.

As to the 5 mins between sets, on heavy squats and deadlifts that's perfectly fine. But keep in mind that you can manipulate your rest times to change the intensity of your workout. Let's say you can't quite increase the weight yet, but what you can do is shorten your rest to 3 or 4 minutes. If doing 3 mins, go down to 1 or 2 minutes. There's lots of things you can do to change intensity that don't involve the load.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

ummmm........no.
  • grantdumas7
    Options

then you better inform EVERYONE who lifts advanced strength lifts or higher. Because they all do it...

do you even lift? Because anyone who does knows you hold your breath to stabilize yourself. I mean this is heavy lifting 101 stuff dude.
    I edited my second post but I do hold my breath until I get the weight started or about 1/4 of the way up and then slowly exhale. I don't do a big exhale on the way up. When I am doing heavy squats I found if I say something like "mother fer" on the way up it helps.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm confused by the holding of the breath thing. I've never heard of this.

Look up Valsalva maneuver

Also here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkeN_fkXrdE
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

It is actually safer - assuming you do it the correct way.
  • tenkesh
    tenkesh Posts: 81
    Options

I have seen this stated in various places, and hypothetically it sounds valid. However what I haven't seen is any numbers or examples to back it up. Are people being carried out of gyms on stretchers after having strokes during heavy lifts, and I'm just not hearing about it?

If you hold your breath throughout really heavy lifts, this is likely to happen to you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMrEodLXc-g