How long between reps before it's not a "set" anymore?

Options

Replies

• SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    A day
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Dude, your supposed to exhale on exertion. You are going to hurt yourself by holding your breath during exercise. Pulled muscles at best, possibly an aneurism in your future.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    2-3 seconds max between reps for a rest-pause scenario; otherwise no pause.

60-90 seconds between sets unless you are squatting or deadlifting very heavy then 2-3 minutes rest is fine.

5x5 method states 90s between sets if it was easy, 3 minutes if it was hard to finish the set.

This is where the term "heavy" is a bit subjective. Typically working in a 5rm or lower would be considered heavy but I can tell you that as you get stronger working to say 5rm at over double BW squats for example is a LOT more taxing than doing the same thing as at BW (as a beginner). You will need to rest longer. I have a bit of trouble doing that as I love to just keep going but I know that if I don't have a good 5mins between heavy sets of squats and deads then the next set will be a shocker. (despite "feeling" like I could do it before I start)
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    If you're doing rest/pause sets you re-rack or stop the set for about 15-20 sec before continuing and that is still a "set"
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    if you re-rack it, the set is finished

if it's a lift that ends with the bar on the floor, i'd say the set is finished after you let go of the bar and stand up.. or after 60 seconds between reps which is the standard rest
  • jrutledge01
    Options
    I know this will be a matter of opinion for everyone, but I'm just curious where people draw a line, if any, for how long you would pause between reps before you consider stopping a set or consider it not "a set" anymore?

If you are that @$$hole that is always texting between sets your taking to ducking long !!!!! and it's no longer a set your just taking a seat!
    how do you know they are texting? i use an app on my phone to track my weights/sets and it also times my rest period
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options

60-90 seconds between sets unless you are squatting or deadlifting very heavy then 2-3 minutes rest is fine.

5x5 method states 90s between sets if it was easy, 3 minutes if it was hard to finish the set.

This is where the term "heavy" is a bit subjective. Typically working in a 5rm or lower would be considered heavy but I can tell you that as you get stronger working to say 5rm at over double BW squats for example is a LOT more taxing than doing the same thing as at BW (as a beginner). You will need to rest longer. I have a bit of trouble doing that as I love to just keep going but I know that if I don't have a good 5mins between heavy sets of squats and deads then the next set will be a shocker. (despite "feeling" like I could do it before I start)

I completely agree with 5+ mins if you are in the DBW category...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Dude, your supposed to exhale on exertion. You are going to hurt yourself by holding your breath during exercise. Pulled muscles at best, possibly an aneurism in your future.
    Gimme a break. I 'push' harder when coughing, sneezing, or taking a dump.

A day
    You laugh, but it's a real burlitch carrying around a loaded barbell on your shoulders all day! You can't use your hands, have to go through doorways sideways, stairs suck and you can't use the elevator, the barbell doesn't fit in the bathroom so you just have to hold it till later, and forget about getting a taxi to stop. Other than that an all-day set would be an awesome idea.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

If that's the case you aren't pushing yourself that hard. If you watch a powerlifter (I know you are doing sets of 15) squat he will take a deep breath, descend and about 1/4 of the way up let air out through pressed lips or even yell or grunt. They are not holding their breath through the entire rep.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Ok seems some confusion here on holding your breath. So to clarify.

1) You MUST hold your breath when doing ANY heavy compound movement. there is no exception to this. The technique even has a name. http://www.crossfithoboken.com/2011/09/20/the-valsalva-manuever-a-mind-blowingly-useful-technique/

2) You do NOT hold your breath for the entirety of the set. Or even the rep.

3) So lets use squats as an example. You unrack and have a pile of weight on your shoulders and you're standing there. during this part of the lift you can breath normally. When you're ready to do the rep, you take a deep breath, and tighten your core solid. You then drop into the pocket, while STILL holding your breath. you then start to lift yourself back up. while STILL holding your breath. You THEN once you're rising can start to exhale if you want.

4) Why do you do this? Because in the pocket is the most dangerous place to be to suddenly have your core give out. When someone exhales, their core WILL relax. Your back will then be unprotected and you're possibly effed. Keeping your breath in keeps your core strong and solid. As you rise, your core strength becomes less a concern and the more you need primary driver. Thats where exhaling to get that bit of explosive oomph can come into play. But even then, it's not uncommon to see top lifters hold their breath the entire way through and just 'exhale' while keeping breath in. (their cheeks puff way out and face turns red, but they don't actually breath out)
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    All this bull**** aside... You may be lifting too heavy if you're asking this question.

Are you maintaining the same form as the first rep until nearly the last rep? If you answered no, you're probably lifting too heavy.

Why is this bad, you ask?

Well if your core is losing tightness and you're having trouble controlling your breathing you could be putting your spine in a compromised position. This can result in serious injuries to the lumbar and thoracic spine.

check yo self, beatriz... i kid
  • astronomicals
    Options

What if I want to do 60-90 second rest between sets to force myseklf to use glycogen stores rather than letting ATP level rise? What if im really pushing my deadlift and need 10 seconds between reps? In other words, there is no golden number and you do different things for different reasons..
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Perhaps I should have claimed that I have to pause during a set because the Magical Workout Anti-fairy, clad in the purest shimmering samite, comes forth from the bosom of the barbell and casts Bigby's Clenched Fist striking me directly in the sternum and knocking the wind out of me. (Unless I make my saving throw, of course, which is why I don't pause after every rep.)
    All this bull**** aside... You may be lifting too heavy if you're asking this question.

Are you maintaining the same form as the first rep until nearly the last rep? If you answered no, you're probably lifting too heavy.
    My form isn't changing. It's not my muscles getting tired, it doesn't even get interesting until about the 12th rep. It's the fact that my lungs can't keep up with my legs. If I did any less weight I'd be leaping off the ground with a barbell on my back.

If that's the case you aren't pushing yourself that hard. If you watch a powerlifter (I know you are doing sets of 15) squat he will take a deep breath, descend and about 1/4 of the way up let air out through pressed lips or even yell or grunt. They are not holding their breath through the entire rep.
    So far that's the closest description to how I am doing it. It's all pretty natural, but the pace at which I need to breathe and the pace at which I squat don't line up.

What if I want to do 60-90 second rest between sets to force myseklf to use glycogen stores rather than letting ATP level rise? What if im really pushing my deadlift and need 10 seconds between reps? In other words, there is no golden number and you do different things for different reasons..
    Exactly, context is definitely important here.
  • jrutledge01
    Options
    Perhaps I should have claimed that I have to pause during a set because the Magical Workout Anti-fairy, clad in the purest shimmering samite, comes forth from the bosom of the barbell and casts Bigby's Clenched Fist striking me directly in the sternum and knocking the wind out of me. (Unless I make my saving throw, of course, which is why I don't pause after every rep.)

My form isn't changing. It's not my muscles getting tired, it doesn't even get interesting until about the 12th rep. It's the fact that my lungs can't keep up with my legs. If I did any less weight I'd be leaping off the ground with a barbell on my back.

So far that's the closest description to how I am doing it. It's all pretty natural, but the pace at which I need to breathe and the pace at which I squat don't line up.

Exactly, context is definitely important here.

if you're doing 12+ reps per set you aren't lifting heavy enough
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

Then it sounds like you arent lifting enough to even worry about resting in between sets. If you can hold your breath the entire time through a set of squats then you dont need to worry how long to rest in between sets because you arent even working out.

End of Thread Right here.
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think a set ends when you take all stress off the targeted muscle groups. As long as you keep the weight on your leg muscles (not your bones by locking out the knees) it's still a single set.
    That being said, I'm not sure I understand why you are doing 15RM squats at a pace faster than you can breathe without hyperventilating. A slower pace on the squat would allow you to concentrate on perfect form and allow you keep 1 rep/1 breath rhythm. I would think anything faster than that would be a cardio execise.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    This is probably the point where many OPs would ragequit and/or start a thread about the mean bullys who don't support their journey. I just think some of these responses are hilarious. Thanks for the laughs.

You should tell that to Bryan Haycock. You could text him between sets while you're pretending to track your workout with your phone. :laugh:

Then it sounds like you arent lifting enough to even worry about resting in between sets. If you can hold your breath the entire time through a set of squats then you dont need to worry how long to rest in between sets because you arent even working out.

Which thread are you reading? Can you link me to it because I'd like to read it too. I didn't ask how long to wait between sets, nor did I say I could hold my breath through an entire set, so you should probably go repost your reply in whatever other thread you've confused this one with. :tongue:

That being said, I'm not sure I understand why you are doing 15RM squats at a pace faster than you can breathe without hyperventilating. A slower pace on the squat would allow you to concentrate on perfect form and allow you keep 1 rep/1 breath rhythm. I would think anything faster than that would be a cardio execise.
    Maybe you can talk to the Magical Workout Anti-fairy and tell her to stop taking my wind.

It really doesn't matter, my legs can outpace my lungs. Why do people have such a hard time understanding this? Honestly I feel sorry for people who have such whimpy legs. :sad:
  • astronomicals
    Options
    Bryan Haycock is hooge and your workout should be NOTHING like his... you dont train like a bodybuilder to become a bodybuilder....
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Gees, my comment wasn't attacking you, I was just curious why you were squatting 15RM at such a rapid pace that you couldn't breathe once per rep. I'm just getting back into heavy lifting after 8 years off and am looking for any ideas.

BTW, if you didn't deadlift in your underoos maybe the magical workout anti fairy wouldn't come take your breath away. Have you tried pull-ups, they absorb sweat very well. I also like working out in the cotton onsies, you get 3-packs for like $5 at wallyworld and they dont fall down when doing presses or curls - the buttons in crotch make them easy to get off too.

PS - this is tongue in cheek, i realize the kid deadlifting in underoos is your son or nephew or someone close to you but not really you. I know this because the kid in the picture is way too young to have an account on MFP and there is no way he would know who the heck Bryan Haycock is.
  • jrutledge01
    Options
    This is probably the point where many OPs would ragequit and/or start a thread about the mean bullys who don't support their journey. I just think some of these responses are hilarious. Thanks for the laughs.

You should tell that to Bryan Haycock. You could text him between sets while you're pretending to track your workout with your phone. :laugh:

Which thread are you reading? Can you link me to it because I'd like to read it too. I didn't ask how long to wait between sets, nor did I say I could hold my breath through an entire set, so you should probably go repost your reply in whatever other thread you've confused this one with. :tongue:

Maybe you can talk to the Magical Workout Anti-fairy and tell her to stop taking my wind.

It really doesn't matter, my legs can outpace my lungs. Why do people have such a hard time understanding this? Honestly I feel sorry for people who have such whimpy legs. :sad:
    calm down grandpa

SL 5x5 is sets of 5 for a reason. if you did stronglifts you should understand the reason for doing smaller sets

if you are lifting light enough to be able to do a set of 12 of a weight, you are going to get less strength gains than if you were lifting a set of 5 of a heavier weight

that make sense to you?