"I want to lose weight, but I don't want to get too skinny!"

Replies

• Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    people with true restrictive eating disorders are still a very small percentage of the population.

there are more people with eating disorders than there are people with green eyes.

This is true, http://www.buzzle.com/articles/eye-color-percentages.html gives the percentage as 1-2% world wide.
    I think that if you take "binge eating" out, the rate of eating disorders is a lot less. For anorexia, I think it's 1 in 200 women, and much, much lower for men. 90% of sufferers are women. You're more likely to become schizophrenic than anorexic.

Why on earth would you take binge eating out? I'm sorry, was my bulemia not hip enough for you, or does it squeek in because I binged AND purged? *sigh*. Seriously, there are other serious eating disorders out there than just anorexia. And it's the attitude of "oh that one doesn't seem like it really counts lets take it out of the stats", that ends up screwing over all the people that need help. "Oh you eat too much? Just put down the fork. Come ask me for help when you start throwing up or something." *shakes head*. No. Just no.
    You want to talk stats? My sister came down with anorexia the same year I came down with bulimia and we didnt even KNOW until later. Sisters and we didn't know. The stats are probably a bit off.

Thank you. There's a lot of people on these boards who don't take binge eating seriously, in their mind just an excuse to evade personal responsibility for the heinous sin of overeating.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    people with true restrictive eating disorders are still a very small percentage of the population.

there are more people with eating disorders than there are people with green eyes.

This is true, http://www.buzzle.com/articles/eye-color-percentages.html gives the percentage as 1-2% world wide.
    I think that if you take "binge eating" out, the rate of eating disorders is a lot less. For anorexia, I think it's 1 in 200 women, and much, much lower for men. 90% of sufferers are women. You're more likely to become schizophrenic than anorexic.

Why on earth would you take binge eating out? I'm sorry, was my bulemia not hip enough for you, or does it squeek in because I binged AND purged?
    Binge eating disorder isn't bulimia. Binge eating alone is pretty common and I don't think it's that pertinent to the original point about 'getting too skinny'.

But maybe many people do fear they'll 'catch' binge eating or bulimia from getting skinny. Who knows.

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    It's all relative....to each their own. We all have our own bodies to do as we wish with them ;)
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    At 145, I consider myself too skinny and never want to go there again. That's still a 20 in the BMI range
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member

Why on earth would you take binge eating out? I'm sorry, was my bulemia not hip enough for you, or does it squeek in because I binged AND purged? *sigh*. Seriously, there are other serious eating disorders out there than just anorexia. And it's the attitude of "oh that one doesn't seem like it really counts lets take it out of the stats", that ends up screwing over all the people that need help. "Oh you eat too much? Just put down the fork. Come ask me for help when you start throwing up or something." *shakes head*. No. Just no.
    You want to talk stats? My sister came down with anorexia the same year I came down with bulimia and we didnt even KNOW until later. Sisters and we didn't know. The stats are probably a bit off.

In an ever expanding society I WISH people would take binge eating disorders more seriously. Bulimia isn't just strictly a binge related eating disorder, and it's at least taken far more seriously than binge-without-purge disorders.

Many, many people have disordered eating patterns that result in over consumption. If those disorders were properly acknowledged and classified the amount of over consumers would be vastly more plentiful than those with restriction and/or purging related disorders.

Restrictive eating disorder, despite the press, are still relatively rare. Yet so, so many fat or formerly fat people are terrified that they'll magically become "anorexic", or be confused as such, yet the same stigmas don't exist for some of the disordered behavior that might have aided them in becoming overweight/obese in the first place (I used "might" as to not suggest that all people with a weight issue also have a binge eating issue).

Someone with anorexia or bulimia, if discovered, will more than likely be admonished and pushed to get help.

Someone who is an emotional eater who chronically over consumes, has an unhealthy relationship with food, and begins to destroy their mental and physical health with food, is not offered the same support. They're just told to put down the fork and man up.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I think people want to make sure not to actually lose muscle tissue, and the women would like to keep their T&A for the most part.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited December 2014

Why on earth would you take binge eating out? I'm sorry, was my bulemia not hip enough for you, or does it squeek in because I binged AND purged?
    Binge eating disorder isn't bulimia. Binge eating alone is pretty common and I don't think it's that pertinent to the original point about 'getting too skinny'.

But maybe many people do fear they'll 'catch' binge eating or bulimia from getting skinny. Who knows.

I know binge eating isn't bulimia. Bulimia is binging and purging, which I mentioned in my post but I know it wasn't very clearly stated due to my annoyance.
    Anorexia = purging / eating very little
    Binge eating = eating uncontrollably
    Bulimia = binging and purging

And while not pertinent to the original post I did feel that it was important to reply to the post that mentioned it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    I know a couple of people who've done this.

One wasn't convinced she could lose anything. So of course, she set her goal high. That way it was just probably unattainable and not completely out of the realm of possibility in her mind. She did a pretty extreme diet and was successful. Dropped way below her original goal, and is at the low end of healthy BMI now. She definitely does not think she is too skinny now that she is there. I think she looks great and so does everyone else I've heard comment on it.

The other has convinced himself (with support from others) that he looks 'emaciated' at a healthy BMI, even at the very top end. He's been at a healthy BMI previously, for years. He did NOT look emaciated. His cheekbones did become more prominent. He did look like a slender guy with relatively little muscle. He was a cycling, racket ball/squash/tennis, swimming cardio guy, with no lifting for muscle development. He doesn't seem ready to really do anything about his weight, although he has a good amount that he needs to lose and has some serious health issues that would be improved if he lost even half of what he should. I wonder in his case if the 'emaciated' thing isn't holding him back. Either because he's using it as an excuse, or because it's a negative push against losing weight and he just isn't all that motivated to do it in the first place.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I think people want to make sure not to actually lose muscle tissue, and the women would like to keep their T&A for the most part.

Definitely love my T & A . . . don't wanna lose it
  • acorsaut89

Restrictive eating disorder, despite the press, are still relatively rare. Yet so, so many fat or formerly fat people are terrified that they'll magically become "anorexic", or be confused as such, yet the same stigmas don't exist for some of the disordered behavior that might have aided them in becoming overweight/obese in the first place (I used "might" as to not suggest that all people with a weight issue also have a binge eating issue).

Did you know that if you have a lot of weight to lose and you cut to really restrictive dieting (like going from 3500 to 1200 calories/day) your body can have the same symptoms of being an anorexic because your body isn't used to it and you're asking it to run on less fuel.

Not that it's relevant to this, just an interesting fact.

• scare006jack37
    scare006jack37 Posts: 26 Member
    edited December 2014
    African malnourishment comes to mind with the big thin scare
    ...2 of every 5 children go hungryhttps://wfp.org/stories/10-things-everyone-should-know-about-hunger-ethiopia
    wpyaa1d1e1r0.jpg

Would you want to be this thin? Being skinny in a developed nation is a joke.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    "skinny" means different things to different people. to me, skinny is being too thin. so, i want to be slim, but not skinny. i want to be healthy first and foremost. according to the BMI scale, if i was to weigh 115, i would be "normal". however, in order for that to happen, i would have to be on the Biggest Loser ranch for the rest of my life. i would have to exercise 16 hours a day and never eat. so, since that is not reality, i don't pay a lick of attention to the BMI scale. the weight i can maintain has yet to be determined, but i really don't want to be "skinny" (think 5'8" stick thin models). not gonna happen to this woman.
  • Iwishyouwell
    acorsaut89 wrote: »

Did you know that if you have a lot of weight to lose and you cut to really restrictive dieting (like going from 3500 to 1200 calories/day) your body can have the same symptoms of being an anorexic because your body isn't used to it and you're asking it to run on less fuel.

I've always wondered why certain eating disorders, anorexia for example, require being underweight as a criteria before diagnosis.

Seriously, rare as it is, an overweight or obese person can become anorexic. And they'll likely not be sent in for help until their body weight drops dangerously low.
  • Iwishyouwell
    ...2 of every 5 children go hungryhttps://wfp.org/stories/10-things-everyone-should-know-about-hunger-ethiopia
    wpyaa1d1e1r0.jpg

giphy.gif
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member

I know binge eating isn't bulimia. Bulimia is binging and purging, which I mentioned in my post but I know it wasn't very clearly stated due to my annoyance.
    Anorexia = purging / eating very little
    Binge eating = eating uncontrollably
    Bulimia = binging and purging

And while not pertinent to the original post I did feel that it was important to reply to the post that mentioned it.
    Fair enough. I didn't mean to minimize any recognized disorders (or worse, imply any are hip are not hip). I just meant to me it seems like you would only consider anorexia in the context of skinny-fear. But I guess many bulimics are also very thin, and if you could 'catch' any ED under certain conditions you could catch all of them.

Whether it's 1% or 3%, I don't think fearing you'll acquire ED from dieting to a mid-healthy BMI weight is that reasonable, but fears aren't always reasonable and they still affect our decisions.
  • acorsaut89

I've always wondered why certain eating disorders, anorexia for example, require being underweight as a criteria before diagnosis.

Seriously, rare as it is, an overweight or obese person can become anorexic. And they'll likely not be sent in for help until their body weight drops dangerously low.

I know . . . it's a state of your body's overall being . . . not a weight classification. If you become anorexic but had 100+ lbs to lose but lost 75 by hardly eating, no one is really going to notice because you're still considered to be "big" but it could affect your organs and regular functions just as much as someone who drops to <100lbs.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »

not all of us are blessed with much T at any weight, so I'd rather be more on the thin side to compensate.
  • acorsaut89
    edited December 2014
    wpyaa1d1e1r0.jpg

So not sure which "developed" nation you live in, but I live in Canada. And in Canada, 1 in 3 children live below the poverty line and go hungry every day. I get that the countries are different and our poverty lines are different but there are still issues in developed nations, too. The poverty line in Canada, for reference, is a household income after taxes of <$24,000 last time I checked. As a single person, I make just over twice that and I still have debt and have things I can't afford - mainly due to a separation leaving me with debt - but still, how could you afford to feed yourself, potentially a partner and one ore more children on less than $500/week and put a roof over your head in a developed nation?

Being skinny here isn't a joke, it's a relative term. There are people suffering with EDs every single day - people who purposely starve themselves to just lose those last 5 lbs. I get third world and developing nations don't have access to food regularly, all the time and they may not know where their next meal is coming from - I get it. What I also get is that your picture has no place in this thread for this context. Everywhere has issues and problems, everywhere. Rich people, poor people, black people, white people. We all have issues and at the end of the day, we're all still just people. Are you in Africa bringing aid and relief to these people? Are you giving up your life and your food to go to the politically and economically unstable countries and help people? If so, awesome - that's a very admirable thing to do.

If not, don't talk about it.

Also - your link is specifically about Ethiopia. Not about "African" malnutrition. There are many countries in Africa who do not face this malnutrition epidemic, South Africa, Senegal, Kenya, Morocco, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, for example do not have food epidemics like this. Further the article states 2 in 5 children have stunting issues, which is caused by malnutrition. The real number of children who "go hungry" could be higher or could be lower but if you're going to reference articles, reference them appropriately please.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    wpyaa1d1e1r0.jpg

So not sure which "developed" nation you live in, but I live in Canada. And in Canada, 1 in 3 children live below the poverty line and go hungry every day. I get that the countries are different and our poverty lines are different but there are still issues in developed nations, too. The poverty line in Canada, for reference, is a household income after taxes of <$24,000 last time I checked. As a single person, I make just over twice that and I still have debt and have things I can't afford - mainly due to a separation leaving me with debt - but still, how could you afford to feed yourself, potentially a partner and one ore more children on less than $500/week and put a roof over your head in a developed nation?

Being skinny here isn't a joke, it's a relative term. There are people suffering with EDs every single day - people who purposely starve themselves to just lose those last 5 lbs. I get third world and developing nations don't have access to food regularly, all the time and they may not know where their next meal is coming from - I get it. What I also get is that your picture has no place in this thread for this context. Everywhere has issues and problems, everywhere. Rich people, poor people, black people, white people. We all have issues and at the end of the day, we're all still just people. Are you in Africa bringing aid and relief to these people? Are you giving up your life and your food to go to the politically and economically unstable countries and help people? If so, awesome - that's a very admirable thing to do.

If not, don't talk about it.

Also - your link is specifically about Ethiopia. Not about "African" malnutrition. There are many countries in Africa who do not face this malnutrition epidemic, South Africa, Senegal, Kenya, Morocco, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, for example do not have food epidemics like this. Further the article states 2 in 5 children have stunting issues, which is caused by malnutrition. The real number of children who "go hungry" could be higher or could be lower but if you're going to reference articles, reference them appropriately please.

AWESOME response. (*) (*) <3<3
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    wpyaa1d1e1r0.jpg

I live in Africa... as a 230 pound 40something year old woman I feel AVERAGE compared with other women my age. There are some "fat" countries in Africa for sure and I'm definitely living in one of them!