I can't believe I used to eat that!!

Replies

• paperalien
    paperalien Posts: 167 Member
    Is it sad that I still eat some of the things people mention here as a "low point"? I still eat the whole 100 g chocolate bar in one setting every now and then. I still eat a whole can of pringles, or fried things (heck, I ate 600 calorie worth of fried eggplant today).

What I can't believe I used to eat is the things that I don't really care for but ate "just because they're lying around". I don't like salt and vinegar flavored chips for example, but used to eat a family pack just because it was in the pantry. Now instead of grabbing random things "just because" I make sure I really like and want whatever I'm eating. Calories are a precious currency to me now, and only the worthiest and tastiest of foods get to have a big chunk of them.

What did you fry your eggplant in to get that many calories?
    I am genuinely curious. I love eggplant fried in butter but have never managed to get it that high in calories.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    chicken pasta alfredo concoctions at places like Outback, Cheddars, Chilis. I thought I was going healthy, lmao. Little did I know I would have been better off with almost anything else on the menu.
  • schle009
    schle009 Posts: 63 Member
    Used to eat a pint of chocolate peanut butter Haagen Dasz alomost every day(1310 cal). I'd totally do it still if it was low-cal...
    But fast food. I grew up on McDonald's, BK, Taco Bell, etc. I've gone to McDonald's twice for food in the last year (once against my will) and it was gross. No BK or TB for a couple years. Ew.
  • schle009
    schle009 Posts: 63 Member
    Oh, and half a roll of cookie dough. Again, something I'd totally still do ...
  • chunmi
    chunmi Posts: 38 Member
    edited November 2014
    For breakfast i used to eat white bread with butter and then i would put a lot of brown sugar on it, i ate about 3 slices and then a slice with chocolate sprinkles and for lunch i also ate bread with nutella... i now realize just ate soooo much bread, for breakfast lunch, sometimes even dinner + pretty much all snacks where bread+sugary spreads (or cheese)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Mashed cauliflower and shiritaki noodles...no thank you, i'll take copious amounts of BACON now please!!
    Love mashed cauliflower and bacon. And even cauliflower and bacon together.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    i still have icecream almost daily

I use to eat around 1kg of peanut butter... a week. Wow, no wonder i was huge. and the bread, butter jam and milk associated with it. since i cut it back/almost out i eat way less bread, way less butter and hardly any milk down from 6-8 liters a week. funny how one small change can cause a cascade of other reductions too.
  • davidbur
    davidbur Posts: 11 Member
    I still eat pretty much what I used to eat except using portion control. One exception is sodium. I now average 1500 mgs or sodium a day, down from 4-5 grams a day. Funny thing, after 3 years of regulating sodium, I don't even miss it any more.
  • mandyosetti
    mandyosetti Posts: 72 Member
    I used to eat for breakfast almost every week at a local restaurant: 2 scrambled eggs, 3 pieces of bacon, home fries, 2 pieces of toast with jam and orange juice. On occasion my husband and I would split an order of pancackes too (with butter and maple syrup of course). Now I eat one egg, 2 pieces of bacon, 1/3-1/2 of the homefries, one piece of toast and an orange juice. I'm full after that. I can't believe I used to be able to eat so much!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    I could eat a whole pound of bacon on my own.
  • A entire large dominos pizza, washed down with a bottle of wine and some chocolate afterwards! Obviously all consumed while watching tv lol!!

Oh and the huge knobs of butter I'd put in potatoes, scrambled eggs, on toast and in cooking.

I'm surprised I wasn't even fatter lol!
  • BigSpoonSA
    BigSpoonSA Posts: 38 Member
    Hungry Man frozen dinners.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Oh man, where to start... I would only eat lasagne with ham, and pepperoni and mozzarella and cheese, and still convinced myself that it was a healthy choice because of the tomatoes. Or wraps that I filled with creme fraiche and cheese. Or the fact that one chocolate bar could be eaten in one go without any consequences, or a roll of Oreo cookies, or... or... or... I can go on forever ;)
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    I would make cookie dough and use a little milk instead of an egg, then sit down and eat the WHOLE bowl of raw cookie dough with a big glass of milk. Sad but true

I have done this, only I wasn't smart enough to replace the egg with milk. Also, inspired by Everybody loves Raymond, once I bought one of of those premade "logs" of cookie dough, that you are supposed to slice and bake. Yeah, that never happened. I peeled the log of dough and ate it like a banana.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    I would buy these giant cupcakes from various bakeries around the city like 3 or 4 at a time (Couldn't just get one because I had to make it look like I wasn't buying it only for me), and then go home and eat them all usually in one sitting. Same deal with those trays of cupcakes/cookies/tarts you get from the grocery store. A single person living alone does NOT need to buy half dozen or a dozen of these treats!

"Movie Theatre Butter" popcorn in microwave bags, with probably a quarter cup of actual melted butter on top and sprinkled with extra salt AND sugar. Really good but total overkill.

I used to make homemade pizza pockets from puff pastry and eat like 4 at a time.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    paperalien wrote: »
    Is it sad that I still eat some of the things people mention here as a "low point"? I still eat the whole 100 g chocolate bar in one setting every now and then. I still eat a whole can of pringles, or fried things (heck, I ate 600 calorie worth of fried eggplant today).

What I can't believe I used to eat is the things that I don't really care for but ate "just because they're lying around". I don't like salt and vinegar flavored chips for example, but used to eat a family pack just because it was in the pantry. Now instead of grabbing random things "just because" I make sure I really like and want whatever I'm eating. Calories are a precious currency to me now, and only the worthiest and tastiest of foods get to have a big chunk of them.

What did you fry your eggplant in to get that many calories?
    I am genuinely curious. I love eggplant fried in butter but have never managed to get it that high in calories.

Olive oil, but eggplant tend to be like sponges, soaking up a lot of oil. For some reason butter is not soaked up as readily as oil. I also had a good plate-full, so there is that.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Well, everything I used to eat I STILL eat. So... nothing.

Well, you obviously don't eat it in the same amount or you wouldn't lose weight. I think the point of the original post was two fold...not just what we used to eat but how much of it we ate also. I eat a lot of the same things too, but certainly not in the same amount.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    A pint of ice cream is one serving, right?
    I also totally bought those boxes of 8 small jelly filled donuts from Whole Foods and ate the whole box. They didn't sell them anymore last time I checked (which is both a good and a bad thing).
    Croissants I would eat two at a time, always. Now I don't even have one because as much as I love them, they don't fill me up one bit.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Here's mine.. We love turkey or chicken. Made my own homemade dressing , put dressing between thick slices of bread and then cover the whole thing with tons of gravy with extra butter on the top. I too would eat a entire roll of cookie dough in one sitting. I'm now 62 lbs lighter and 21 to go, but get nervous with Thanksgiving around the corner. I can't believe I was ok with that way of eating. Felt so ashamed afterward, but ready to do again next time. Thank God for MFP..
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    I worked in a restaurant for years. For a while i ate way too much. 2 eggs, toast, hash browns and sausage for 6 am breakfast. Then around 10 am i had a second breakfast of 2 greasy biscuits with about 2 cups of homemade sausage gravy. My lunch was after the restaurants lunch rush and then I would usually have a cheese steak and fries, sometimes i would add mozzarella sticks to it. Then i usually had 2 pieces of french toast for dinner. Add to it that i drank coffee all day long with tons and tons of sugar added. I seriously gained about 30 pounds in about 3 months.