Eat Clean??

Options
1235»

Replies

• RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Disagree with others' opinions. That's fine. But you'll get called out when you're rude. People seem to be more sensitive when they're called out for being rude than when their opinions are countered, it seems...
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    As far as I can tell "Clean" is the new "Natural." It's a buzzword that sounds nice and makes people feel like they're doing something healthy. But the fact that no one can really agree on a definition, or explain exactly what specific dangers they are avoiding is revealing.

If you try to pin them down they mumble something about "processed food" but frankly I don't think most of them know what that means either. Maybe they'll throw in something vague about "toxins" too but be unable to name one or describe what actual harm it causes in a plausible manner.

Look what I'm getting at is that it looks like a complete load of nonsense with no basis or point.

I'd be interested in any evidence that I'm wrong though.

Well you haven't done much research then. "Clean eating" may be difficult for you to understand because there is no black and white line between clean and dirty foods. It's a continuum, with some foods being close to their natural state, some foods being highly processed, and many foods in the middle.

The reason it's important for health is because less processed foods usually have less unhealthy additives and more fiber, antioxidants, etc. Whereas highly processed foods often are the opposite. Therefore if you strictly follow IIFYM and eat mostly junk food you'll likely be deficient in fiber, antioxidants, magnesium, etc. Whereas if you eat more "clean," you'll get all the fiber and micronutrients you need. This is important for cholesterol and long term health. It's doesn't have much of an impact on short term weight loss.
  • NadineSabbagh
    NadineSabbagh Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating when someone expresses an interest in clean eating, only to be met with a barrage of comments attempting to dissuade that person, branding clean eating 'pointless'.

Yes, from a purely weight-loss perspective its not imperative - you'll still lose weight if you're at a deficit, regardless of whether you're eating chocolate or tomatoes. But in regards to optimum health, surely there is a better case for clean eating than there is for eating processed foods?!

If someone wants to eat clean then just let them be! What is it to you? They're hardly doing something wrong! Just because you personally don't agree with the notion doesn't mean that it isn't the right choice for someone else. Stop being arrogant enough to assume that your opinion is the right one for everyone.

I started off on weight watchers. I would eat whatever I liked, provided it was within my points. This taught me nothing about nutrition - I would frequently save up all my points throughout the day and have a massively unhealthy dinner. The amount of 'free food' I was eating was scary; naturally, you assume if it's free, it's good. Not the case - I could unknowingly eat up to 500cals extra a day! My weight loss was slow and erratic. Anyway, when I started personal training my trainer told me to eat completely clean for a month, to help my body recover I guess, and to get used to eating healthy food. I moaned at first, the transition was difficult for the first few days. But I stuck at it, and I gradually found that I had more energy and felt so much better about myself. I'd been suffering from depression - most days I wouldn't get out of bed until mid-afternoon and then I'd do nothing all day. After only a week of clean eating I found my body would naturally wake itself up at 7am, I didn't feel tired or grumpy, and I actually wanted to exercise! I bought a gym membership, and from then on I can honestly say that the depression is not a huge issue in my life any more. Been clean eating around 90-95% of the time for about 4 months now I think, and I have been losing weight steadily every week.

The definition of 'clean' will differ with everyone, just as the definition of beauty does. Clean, to me, is natural, unprocessed food. Food with only one ingredient listed on the label. I've cut out gluten, starches etc... I don't eat pasta, bread or potatoes (I do eat sweet potatoes though!). I thought I'd miss these foods, but I don't at all. I occasionally have some gluten free pasta after a workout if I fancy it though. I basically eat meat, veggies, nuts, eggs, some dairy that isn't incredibly processed, dark 70% cocoa chocolate and fruit. To a lot of people, some of that won't be 'clean', but it works for my body and I'm going to listen to what my body tells me (it's about time, considering I've been neglecting it for years!). I don't deprive myself if I really want something - I've had gluten free cookies, yogurts, ice cream, cakes... but all in moderation, and they've had no impact on my weight loss.

So I thoroughly believe that clean eating, whilst not compulsory for weight loss, does aid in a feeling of overall well-being, especially if you have no energy. Try it out for a while to see if it's a good option for you! Cook your meals from scratch, stay away from packaged meals etc and see what the results are! You might find it makes no difference, or you might realise it's the best choice for you! :)

(Edit - I also have loads of clean recipes if you'd like any of them!)

You do realize she posted in a forum right? People will always have an opinion if you like it or not. Go ahead and eat "clean" that's fine with me, it doesn't affect my life. To many sensitive people out there when it comes down to their opinions being disagreed with.

FYI - I eat pizza, tacos (white flour) and ice cream and I always feel great. If that doesn't work for you that's fine because it works for me and it's about me not you.

Forgive me, but I genuinely fail to see why you had an issue with my post? I stated that clean eating has worked for ME, but that I know you don't NEED to eat this way. As the OP was wondering about clean eating, I described to her my own personal experience with it.

I'm well aware that she posted in a forum. As far as I'm concerned, she asked about clean eating. More specifically 'I am wondering if there is anyone out there who is able to help me better understand what this entails. I am also looking for recipies and suggestions of what to eat, how often to eat, when not to eat, how much i should be eating.' The people who jump in going 'There's no need to eat clean, I eat blah blah blah' aren't answering her question at all. That's what I have an issue with. That's not me being sensitive, that's me getting understandably slightly frustrated with the amount of people who don't even try to be helpful. Why do people immediately scream 'YOU'RE TOO SENSITIVE' at everyone? If you really don't care, then you wouldn't have responded to my post. Perhaps you're too sensitive.

'If that doesn't work for you that's fine because it works for me and it's about me not you.' - Your rudeness is totally unjustified. Did I ever say this was about me? Of course not. The OP asked for information, I gave her MY opinion, whilst also stating that I'm aware there will be contrary opinions and that my personal opinion isn't necessarily what will work for her (if you care to read the sentences I have highlighted in bold, you'll see that all I did was suggest the OP TRIED clean eating, seeing as she was curious, to find out if it will work for her.)

I did my best to give the OP the best advice I could from my own personal experience. You don't agree with it, that's fine. I don't see you offering any advice whatsoever to aid in answering the OPs question.
  • NadineSabbagh
    NadineSabbagh Posts: 142 Member
    Options

That was a very thoughtfully written argument. Also, could you send me some of those recipes?

Thank you :) Of course I can send you some recipes! I'll look out my favourites and type them up :)
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    It's frustrating when someone expresses an interest in clean eating, only to be met with a barrage of comments attempting to dissuade that person, branding clean eating 'pointless'.

Yes, from a purely weight-loss perspective its not imperative - you'll still lose weight if you're at a deficit, regardless of whether you're eating chocolate or tomatoes. But in regards to optimum health, surely there is a better case for clean eating than there is for eating processed foods?!

If someone wants to eat clean then just let them be! What is it to you? They're hardly doing something wrong! Just because you personally don't agree with the notion doesn't mean that it isn't the right choice for someone else. Stop being arrogant enough to assume that your opinion is the right one for everyone.

I started off on weight watchers. I would eat whatever I liked, provided it was within my points. This taught me nothing about nutrition - I would frequently save up all my points throughout the day and have a massively unhealthy dinner. The amount of 'free food' I was eating was scary; naturally, you assume if it's free, it's good. Not the case - I could unknowingly eat up to 500cals extra a day! My weight loss was slow and erratic. Anyway, when I started personal training my trainer told me to eat completely clean for a month, to help my body recover I guess, and to get used to eating healthy food. I moaned at first, the transition was difficult for the first few days. But I stuck at it, and I gradually found that I had more energy and felt so much better about myself. I'd been suffering from depression - most days I wouldn't get out of bed until mid-afternoon and then I'd do nothing all day. After only a week of clean eating I found my body would naturally wake itself up at 7am, I didn't feel tired or grumpy, and I actually wanted to exercise! I bought a gym membership, and from then on I can honestly say that the depression is not a huge issue in my life any more. Been clean eating around 90-95% of the time for about 4 months now I think, and I have been losing weight steadily every week.

The definition of 'clean' will differ with everyone, just as the definition of beauty does. Clean, to me, is natural, unprocessed food. Food with only one ingredient listed on the label. I've cut out gluten, starches etc... I don't eat pasta, bread or potatoes (I do eat sweet potatoes though!). I thought I'd miss these foods, but I don't at all. I occasionally have some gluten free pasta after a workout if I fancy it though. I basically eat meat, veggies, nuts, eggs, some dairy that isn't incredibly processed, dark 70% cocoa chocolate and fruit. To a lot of people, some of that won't be 'clean', but it works for my body and I'm going to listen to what my body tells me (it's about time, considering I've been neglecting it for years!). I don't deprive myself if I really want something - I've had gluten free cookies, yogurts, ice cream, cakes... but all in moderation, and they've had no impact on my weight loss.

So I thoroughly believe that clean eating, whilst not compulsory for weight loss, does aid in a feeling of overall well-being, especially if you have no energy. Try it out for a while to see if it's a good option for you! Cook your meals from scratch, stay away from packaged meals etc and see what the results are! You might find it makes no difference, or you might realise it's the best choice for you! :)

Excellent, thoughtful response.

My experience has been similar.

I think some people may feel defensive when people start discussing avoiding processed food, feeling as though it is an attack on their eating habits containing processed food.

In the end, yes, you can lose weight on processed and packaged food. If it makes you happy, that's all that really matters.

But if someone else finds that eating less processed food works for them and makes them feel good, for God's sake, what's to be so upset about? Eating a balanced diet with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, avoiding excess sodium, moderating sugar, etc. may or may not aid in weight loss (though I would think aid) but *are* generally and medically agreed upon healthful things to do.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options

I think some people may feel defensive when people start discussing avoiding processed food, feeling as though it is an attack on their eating habits containing processed food.

In the end, yes, you can lose weight on processed and packaged food. If it makes you happy, that's all that really matters.

But if someone else finds that eating less processed food works for them and makes them feel good, for God's sake, what's to be so upset about? Eating a balanced diet with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, avoiding excess sodium, moderating sugar, etc. may or may not aid in weight loss (though I would think aid) but *are* generally and medically agreed upon healthful things to do.

I agree with both of you! Although, I still question whether this part is true:
    Yes, from a purely weight-loss perspective its not imperative - you'll still lose weight if you're at a deficit, regardless of whether you're eating chocolate or tomatoes.

Because there are more and more findings that our hormones are directly affected by our nutrition and that our hormones affect our overall health including how we metabolize our food and whether or not we hold on to extra fat. It turns out that some foods negatively affect our hormones and some are positive. Just something to think about.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

I agree with both of you! Although, I still question whether this part is true:
    Yes, from a purely weight-loss perspective its not imperative - you'll still lose weight if you're at a deficit, regardless of whether you're eating chocolate or tomatoes.

Because there are more and more findings that our hormones are directly affected by our nutrition and that our hormones affect our overall health including how we metabolize our food and whether or not we hold on to extra fat. It turns out that some foods negatively affect our hormones and some are positive. Just something to think about.
    I love how people talk as if something is fact. Where are your studies?

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

^backed by studies too.

/thread
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Well, I linked to a study a ways back on this forum. WHY has this topic turned so hostile?!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Well, I linked to a study a ways back on this forum. WHY has this topic turned so hostile?!

Its NOT hostility, its people getting irritated by the sheer nonsense reasons people give for 'eating clean'. And this is said as someone who 'eats clean'. I eat good, whole, nutritious and (the majority of the time) 'unprocessed' foods. I do it because it works for me, it makes me feel good, its mitigates issues with IBS and is generally more delicious for me.

Yes, eating a well balanced diet is better for your body and health. And yes, you can get non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, which has been ASSOCIATED with high levels of processed foods.....however, unless youre suggesting that your diet was so high in these types of foods that you were developing a non-alcoholic fatty liver, the point you made is highly unlikely. The same goes or anyone making any claim which is unsupported by well controlled and peer reviwed scientific study (I have just focussed on your example because it is salient, but there are others).
  • latinstarlite1
    latinstarlite1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Totally pointless. Hit your macros and stay under your calorie goal.

What exactly are macros??
  • Rice27
    Rice27 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have been clean eating for 1 month - only lost 2 pounds but have lost inches - no bloating in my stomach area! I feel so much better, no migraines or mood swings! We just eat veggies, fruit and lean meats....we traded milk for almond milk - little changes :)

I like these sites - read them and decide if its something you might try :) Our goal was to try for a month and decide if it was for use.

Husband wife team - great site! http://www.heandsheeatclean.com/2012/10/clean-eating-transformation.html

And this is the wife's site
    http://whitneycarlson.com/

I tried Macros and I find it hard to hit them each day - eating clean is just easier for me.
  • rlp1975
    rlp1975 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Lol!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Totally pointless. Hit your macros and stay under your calorie goal.

What exactly are macros??

It's short for macronutrients - these are protein, carbohydrates and fat

So when someone says "hit your macros" they mean get the right amount of each of these.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Ah clean eating, aka the adjective diet.
    Clean, unprocessed, natural, health, pure, organic, grass fed, ancestral, noninflammitory, etc....

Stick to the good adjectives. Avoid their opposites. All the evil adjectives.
    Unclean, processed, synthetic, unhealthy, unpure, inorganic, grain fed, modern, inflammatory, etc...

They will make you fat. Or are what is keeping you fat. Or are making you unhealthy, even if you're not fat. Even if in no measureable way are they umaking you unhealthy, surely they are building up and causing you to be unhealhthy in ways that can't be measured.

That way you don't have to actually learn anything about nutrition. And you don't have to waste hours every day frustrated with elementary school level math. Just stick to the good adjectives, and you know what the good adjectives are, and you'll be fine.

If you do wish to learn anything about nutrition, there are giant communities full of fellow clean eaters who are all hipster and reject common dogma, using a small set of questionalby applied and cherry picked research, you can develop an incredible understanding of crowdsourced but largely imaginary explanation of human nutrition. Then take this profound understanding you have and go out amoung the masses, preaching the word of clean to the unknowing sheep.

I'm personally a big fan of processed food. But I have the good sense to understand the relationship between calories, macronutrients, micronutrients, and my bodies' needs.
  • kikilita
    kikilita Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds terrible, but I am so glad so many other people have IBS.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds terrible, but I am so glad so many other people have IBS.

Lmao when I was diagnosed I was glad that the problems I was having were 'a thing' and not just me.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to point out to the OP (because she posted here asking to know more about clean eating) something that I didn't see many, if anyone, mention: the motivations behind clean eating.
    I saw numerous people talk about the biological impacts on our bodies, but I didn't see anyone mention that a lot of people choose to "eat clean" due to environmental reasons, societal injustices, personal beliefs regarding multinational corporations, animal rights, connectedness to the earth, or religion.
    It's not always practiced for individual health reasons, although that is one of the reasons many participate in clean eating.

I believe that we, as human beings, have a very personal relationship with the things we put in our own mouths. I think its great that you posted here looking for more information about something you may or may not decide to participate in before making the decision to do so.
    Feel free to add me as a friend here on MFP.