Give up the sugar!

Options
Hi, everyone!
I've been wanting for some time to limit my sugar intake in all of my food and I thought I'd write a topic for this and monitor my progress, and also to motivate me to go on forward. This is a diary kind of topic, but please feel free to post replies and also post your own tips, tricks, advice and progress.
Please note that this is a personal decision and I am not encouraging anyone to follow in my steps, unless you're aiming for the same goal. I am doing this for my own health and also to form a new habit.

Now, the reason why I want to limit my sugar intake in all foods is because I am quite sugar sensitive. If I have a small bite of something sugary (sweet or not), I will start an awful binge session!
No junk food, sweets or alcohol unless it is a festive day, or a party (and that's usually pretty seldom). They make me quite sick to my stomach, too, but if it's just once or twice a month, I will be fine. Sometimes, even I need to let go and be a little wild.
No candies and pastries, unless it is very dark chocolate. I'd much rather make my own sweet things since I know I make the best choices for my appetite.

Join me, if you want! Or give me advices. Please don't tell me that it's okay to eat sugar, because it is not for me. Sugar is dangerous, but I don't want to avoid it forever. I also hope I won't bore you with my daily stories and food diaries. :)
It's just something I need to stay on track.

Replies

• mizztanjo
    mizztanjo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Oh can I ever relate! Sugar has been my enemy since I was a kid. Gives me acne, I lose control and binge eat it, and I get a bubble belly! I tried giving up sugar (like %90) awhile ago and it made a huge difference. It's hard, but I used maple syrup and fruits to sweeten up my life.
    I'd like to try this again...cut way back on sugar. Add me if you'd like! :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Same here and just recently got off sugar as part of my arthritis pain management. The first of Aug learned about coconut oil and adapting to it took about a month and I was limiting sugar. By the end of September I said heck with sugar in total. Well I am not talking about like sugar in almonds but at this time I am doing NO fruit or food with added sugar.

I am two months into NO sugar for real. Thankful with the combo of cutting the carbs to <50 grams a day and daily use of coconut oil my pain is down from 7-8 to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale. Staying away from all meds is important to me at my age and I do not plan to go back to sugar ever since it is toxic to me.

One plus of living on Fats and Protein is one just does not get cravings and can go long periods without food since there are no sugar crashes and the IBS left after a month on the coconut oil.

Good luck.
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sugar is an evil for me too. In fact I'd rather use whipped cream and fruit if I have pancakes, since maple syrup is high in natural sugar. I started doing that when my son was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. I've overloaded on cookies and other carbs in the past so being really successful to me means cutting back on breads and carbs, not eliminating them and eating more veggies. Now we buy prechopped veggies from Costco and bring them out for meals and snacks. More expensive yes, but it works for us. Its convenient so we eat them more often. Sugar causes inflammation in the body.
  • FaridPERU
    FaridPERU Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    SugaR IS LIKE A DRUG!
    it is adictive like same as cocaine
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'll support you after I finish off my tray of baklava
  • diaowl
    diaowl Posts: 33
    Options
    sugar as in no whole natural foods like fruit? Or avoiding high calorie foods with added sugars?

There is a difference....?

As in avoiding high calorie foods with added sugar. Fruits are sweet enough for my sweet tooth! Bake an apple with some ground cinnamon on top and it's a really delicious feast! I will never encourage anyone to give up fruit... Even if it's high in fructose, it's also high in fiber and plenty of vitamins.
    I'll support you after I finish off my tray of baklava

BAKLAVA?? ON MY SUGAR-FREE POST? Unacceptable! Nah, just kidding. Enjoy your baklava! :wink:

@Everyone else:

Thanks for the replies! Didn't think I'd get any, really. Yeah, sugar is the core evil to pretty much everything. There's too much added refined sugar in food! It's unhealthy and addictive! That's why I want to give up on it... or at least really limit it. With Christmas around the corner, I may not be able to do much about it, but I will try my best not to go overboard. I wish you all luck with that.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    If you start a binge from a bite of cookie, and not from a bite of fruit, then sugar is not the cause of your issue. Might be worthwhile to talk to a professional and explore why you engage in bingeing behaviors with certain foods.
  • shana100100
    shana100100 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Diaowl! Yes, me too. It's been in stages but one sugary bite at the wrong time sends me off on a binge too. I've been really good at managing it for a few years but have allowed it back in strategically, as I run a lot and now added biking, swimming and weight training. There are times before, after and during 60-120 minutes of exercise where I need quick carbs. They can have a purpose, and serve as a reward too. Somehow, the carbs around the exercise negates the urge to binge, and I am grateful.

Wishing everyone here success at taming the sugar monster :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    diaowl wrote: »
    Sugar is dangerous.

According to who?

• Summerfit321
    Summerfit321 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think there's nothing wrong with sugar in moderation. Sugar is just an energy source our body uses. If you consume more than you should, based in how much you burn, it leads to weight gain, insulin resistance, etc... but sugar is just a carbohydrate: nothing wrong with it.
    I've successfully lost weight eating sugar daily :smile:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sugar is dangerous.

According to who?

Well, you could drop a 25lb bag of it on your foot......
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    If you start a binge from a bite of cookie, and not from a bite of fruit, then sugar is not the cause of your issue. Might be worthwhile to talk to a professional and explore why you engage in bingeing behaviors with certain foods.

I agree. I am, sadly, one of the people who can consume sugar products and not binge. Best of luck, OP.
    nationaleatingdisorders.org/

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Perhaps investigating the difference between high sugar fruit (apple isn't, by the way) and the combo of high sugar AND fat cookie may lead to some interesting findings.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Good for you for limiting added sugars. For some, that in and of itself is enough of a calorie deficit to lead to weight loss. For others, its enough extra "will power" (whatever that is) to allow them to stay on track. For others, limiting added sugars helps keep insulin levels more level, thus, making it easier to stay on track. So good for you. Worth finding out if it helps you lose weight, and regardless, it's better for you. Trust me, you're still getting plenty from things you DON'T know about. I've been limiting added sugars (3grams per serving or less) for 13 years, and coincidentally, maintaining my weight loss for 13 years. Yes, I otherwise eat a healthy diet.

Oh, and yes, I'm one of those folks who can eat a really high sugar fruit and be fine with the rest of my day, but NOT a twinkie and be fine with the rest of my day. Perhaps it's the fiber, perhaps it's something else. All I know is my own experience with fruit versus processed, refined sugars (and that of many others I know).

That said: you may be surprised at the actual sugar content of things such as wine and vodka. I'm not saying you should drink, just saying there's not much sugar there. Or "carbs". If booze makes you binge, avoid it, definitely. Probably how it's metabolized.

Again, congrats on working to improve your health!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sugar is dangerous.

According to who?

Well, you could drop a 25lb bag of it on your foot......

That is kind of funny. Yesterday I had my first milk shake in months. Today my left foot is painful to walk on like I dropped a 100 pound bag of sugar on it. :(

My foot pain had left when I cut the sugar and processed carbs a few months back.

For ME sugar is more than dangerous. It is also painful.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Should people be concerned about how much sugar they consume? It's going to be based on each individual whether it's a boon to them or not.
    It's not unreasonable to consume, but it's not wise to over consume it either. One just has to find the right balance for them so that they can achieve their goals whether it be gaining/losing/maintaining weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Should people be concerned about how much sugar they consume? It's going to be based on each individual whether it's a boon to them or not.
    It's not unreasonable to consume, but it's not wise to over consume it either. One just has to find the right balance for them so that they can achieve their goals whether it be gaining/losing/maintaining weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Thus spoke mod.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say good for you! I have no idea why, but cookies, cake, ice cream, candy, etc. sends me into a binge, but fruit doesn't. I am definitely going to try and give up the processed crap between now and Christmas. See how it goes.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    FaridPERU wrote: »
    SugaR IS LIKE A DRUG!
    it is adictive like same as cocaine

5791896.gif