Give up the sugar!

Options

Replies

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Can we please not derail the OP's post with this overly argued point? The two sides will never understand each other so let's stop the battle please.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    lefty421 wrote: »
    Can we please not derail the OP's post with this overly argued point? The two sides will never understand each other so let's stop the battle please.

we are debating "sugar addiction" that is what the OP posted about, so how is that de-railing….???
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    time410s wrote: »
    I can resist binging if eating fruit, but any processed, sugary goodies give me crazy cravings. I have given up refined sugars in the past and my cravings subsided. Each time, however, I thought I was cured, ate something refined and the cravings returned followed by binging. For me there is really no moderation -- I have to completely avoid refined sugar. Even if I stopped eating after one brownie, cookie, etc. I continued to think about it and obsess about it all day. I was preoccupied with getting my next fix. I am once again on the wagon (hopefully for good). It is not just about wanting to lose 10 pounds, it is about wanting to stop the obsessing. So, I guess you could say I am giving it up for two reasons: my vanity and my sanity!

DITTO!!! I could have written this. In order to stay sane, I have to give up sweets, simple carbs, limit how much fruit I eat, and eat sufficient protein. I've been back on the wagon this time since August 8th, almost 4 months. I rarely feel deprived, and when I do, I just remember how horrid my life was when my eating was out of control. For me, giving up sugar is the ticket to a better life. MUCH better!

you just said you eat fruit aka sugar….

What is it that about YOU that needs to tell everyone that their relationship with food (that differs from yours) is wrong? Perhaps, just perhaps? they aren't YOU? yowsa.

You want to jump all over him because he made a statement that the sugar in fruit is the same as the sugar in brownies, cookies, etc (and it is), and you come short of applauding the OP when the OP makes the absurd claim that "sugar is dangerous." Logic.

READ THE THREAD the WHOLE thread, and then pause... and, welcome!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I can resist binging if eating fruit, but any processed, sugary goodies give me crazy cravings. I have given up refined sugars in the past and my cravings subsided. Each time, however, I thought I was cured, ate something refined and the cravings returned followed by binging. For me there is really no moderation -- I have to completely avoid refined sugar. Even if I stopped eating after one brownie, cookie, etc. I continued to think about it and obsess about it all day. I was preoccupied with getting my next fix. I am once again on the wagon (hopefully for good). It is not just about wanting to lose 10 pounds, it is about wanting to stop the obsessing. So, I guess you could say I am giving it up for two reasons: my vanity and my sanity!

DITTO!!! I could have written this. In order to stay sane, I have to give up sweets, simple carbs, limit how much fruit I eat, and eat sufficient protein. I've been back on the wagon this time since August 8th, almost 4 months. I rarely feel deprived, and when I do, I just remember how horrid my life was when my eating was out of control. For me, giving up sugar is the ticket to a better life. MUCH better!

What is it that about YOU that needs to tell everyone that their relationship with food (that differs from yours) is wrong? Perhaps, just perhaps? they aren't YOU? yowsa.

I never said it was wrong, I questioned the fallacy of saying one is addicted to sugar, but still eats sugar.

that is like saying I am a crack head, but I can still snort cocaine, because the cocaine is "natural"…

and why do YOU care? Are you following me?
    You replied to MY post.
  • ndj1979
    edited November 2014
    Options

I never said it was wrong, I questioned the fallacy of saying one is addicted to sugar, but still eats sugar.

that is like saying I am a crack head, but I can still snort cocaine, because the cocaine is "natural"…

You replied to MY post.

no, I did not. I replied to Lefty's post….

and then you jumped in and decided to white knight...
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    OP did not ask for a debate. I'm disengaging now because to reply is to encourage further debate.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

You replied to MY post.

Apologies. you replied to another person who thinks like me, not like you. My bad. I lost track.

back to reality: What is it that about YOU that needs to tell everyone that their relationship with food (that differs from yours) is wrong? Perhaps, just perhaps? they aren't YOU?
  • ndj1979
    Options

You replied to MY post.

Apologies. you replied to another person who thinks like me, not like you. My bad. I lost track.

back to reality: What is it that about YOU that needs to tell everyone that their relationship with food (that differs from yours) is wrong? Perhaps, just perhaps? they aren't YOU?

see my previous answer…

but here is the cliff notes..

I never said there was anything wrong with it.
    I questioned the fallacy of saying that sugar is bad and then in the next sentence saying that one still eats sugar.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options

You replied to MY post.

see my previous answer…

I questioned the fallacy of saying that sugar is bad and then in the next sentence saying that one still eats sugar.

And I've repeatedly questioned why fruit and twinkles MUST be the same in ALL INDIVIDUALS.
  • ndj1979
    Options

You replied to MY post.

see my previous answer…

And I've repeatedly questioned why fruit and twinkles MUST be the same in ALL INDIVIDUALS.

I don't understand your point/question ..but I am on flu meds right and slightly delirious...
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options

You replied to MY post.

see my previous answer…

It's both sugar? It's the same sugar. It does the same thing in your body. Binging is a mental issue that needs to be overcome.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

You replied to MY post.

see my previous answer…

It's both sugar? It's the same sugar. It does the same thing in your body. Binging is a mental issue that needs to be overcome.

revisit this convo, in 20 years, as needed. cheers
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Why do people go to extremes and cut out sugar from their diets? Moderation is okay, people who restrict food groups tend to be the least successful in reaching their goals. Unless you have a medical issue and must cut sugar, you should not cut sugar.

Because some people really struggle with moderating sugar. Especially the high calorie refined sugary foods. They actually find it easier and even preferential to cut it out altogether rather than try to moderate. I'm one of the ones who choose moderation. But my sister just cannot seem to do it. She can moderate fruit and even white breads and pastas…. but the "sweets" like candy, cakes, cookies, pastries, etc., she just can't seem to moderate. The way she talks about "sweets" sounds very similar to the way an alcoholic talks about alcohol. I don't know what those issues are that causes her to binge on the "sweets" but not on fruit or white breads/pastas… but for her, cutting out sugar is what has made it possible for her to reach her goals and maintain it. (And by the way… sugar is not a food group. Neither is "carbs.") Some people it just works better for.

And to the OP: Good luck! I hope you find the results you are looking for.
  • WatchJoshLift
    Options

You replied to MY post.

see my previous answer…

revisit this convo, in 20 years, as needed. cheers

SMH, okay?
  • WatchJoshLift
    Options

You replied to MY post.

see my previous answer…

I don't understand your point/question ..but I am on flu meds right and slightly delirious...

It's not the flu meds ....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

You replied to MY post.

see my previous answer…

Enjoy the flu meds, as best one can to survive the flu.
    Feel better.
    All I'm suggesting is: consider that not everyone responds to any given food/exercise just as you do today, as you are... heck even YOU won't... over time.

feel better.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

You replied to MY post.

see my previous answer…

Feel better.
    All I'm suggesting is: consider that not everyone responds to any given food/exercise just as you do today, as you are... heck even YOU won't... over time.

feel better.

You're really not getting it huh? He never questioned anyone's decision to eat or not eat sugar. He never said that people don't respond differently to sugar. You keep trying to say that he said that. All he did was point out that someone said that they have given up sugar, and in the same post said that they eat fruit. Those two things cannot both be true. That's all he said. Please calm down...
  • ndj1979
    Options

You replied to MY post.

see my previous answer…

Feel better.

feel better.

thanks…

I never said that everyone responds the same way ..my original point was that it is kind of ludicrous to say that you are addicted to sugar and then turn around and say that you still eat sugar, but it is OK because it comes from fruit..

If an alcoholic told you that they drink beer everyday but it is only whiskey that they have a problem with, I think that you would find that statement a little crazy….

my argument has always been that sugar is sugar …

if someone has a medical condition then they do need to avoid/limit sugar consumption, I agree….

• CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Diaowl: You said "Please don't tell me that it's okay to eat sugar, because it is not for me." I totally respect that, and I think you've made an important discovery, thankfully, early in your life. It sounds like what you are experiencing is a rapid rise and fall in blood sugar after eating sweets. That happens to me, too, but it doesn't happen when I eat a normal serving of fruit.

I don't know why that is, but I imagine that scientists will discover it has something to do with the presence of fat with refined sugar (in sweets) versus the presence of fiber or plant sterols with natural sugar (fruit.) Maybe scientists will discover that our amazing bodies do indeed distinguish between cane or beet sugar that is highly refined by man, and fruit sugar in it's unaltered form. When you think about it, we just discovered that some life forms on earth don't need oxygen to live. That blew all our theories out of the water!

You asked for advice, so here's the best I can give you: Listen to the wisdom of your body, and honor the lessons that experience has taught you. I totally support you as you learn what works for you, and I look forward to celebrating your victories with you each step of the way!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Diaowl: You said "Please don't tell me that it's okay to eat sugar, because it is not for me." I totally respect that, and I think you've made an important discovery, thankfully, early in your life. It sounds like what you are experiencing is a rapid rise and fall in blood sugar after eating sweets. That happens to me, too, but it doesn't happen when I eat a normal serving of fruit.

I don't know why that is, but I imagine that scientists will discover it has something to do with the presence of fat with refined sugar (in sweets) versus the presence of fiber or plant sterols with natural sugar (fruit.) Maybe scientists will discover that our amazing bodies do indeed distinguish between cane or beet sugar that is highly refined by man, and fruit sugar in it's unaltered form. When you think about it, we just discovered that some life forms on earth don't need oxygen to live. That blew all our theories out of the water!

You asked for advice, so here's the best I can give you: Listen to the wisdom of your body, and honor the lessons that experience has taught you. I totally support you as you learn what works for you, and I look forward to celebrating your victories with you each step of the way!

No, our bodies cannot distinguish between these two types of sugar. The difference is that fiber slows digestion offering a slower release of sugar into the bloodstream eliciting much less of an insulin response vs rapidly digested sugar without the accompanying fiber. As for whether your body can differentiate the actual sugar, it can't, it's molecular structure is identical. Glucose is glucose. Fructose is fructose. Lactose is lactose, and on and on. It's fine to argue that the body responds differently to the two because of the different digestion speeds, but you can't argue that the body can differentiate between the actual sugar because it can't.