Fed Up Documentary

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    csalter61 wrote: »
    Good Luck, I watched it too and it has valid points to make especially about sugar being added to practically all processed foods.

As is salt, fat and an array of artificial and natural flavours so why are we so concerned just about the sugar? To be fair, it's not a bad idea to reduce highly processed and fast food but that doesn't mean you can extrapolate to all foods with sugar in them.

and heaven forbid companies actually make food taste good so people will you know, buy their product...

Of course, they should only make the really healthy stuff taste good and the less healthy stuff should taste like cod liver oil or wet cardboard. After all, they are just in business to make sure we eat properly. <-- sorry can't even type that with a straight face. :flushed:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I'm far more concerned about the levels of sodium in processed food than in sugars. Since I don't eat a lot of it, it all tastes terribly salty to me. Recently I wrote to Alexia (one of the better frozen foods brands) about how incredibly salty their chipotle sweet potato and vegetables dish was. It was almost inedible to me.
  • annehutson2
    Options
    I have been eating whole foods and cutting down my processed foods...I don't need the sugar and a lot of what is processed is high in calories but lacks nutrients...I want to be healthy not just skinny. You can be skinny and still lack the basic ingredients of health...Our tax dollars in the USA would be better spent subsidizing healthier options instead of crops like GMO Corn...
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I agree that it's completely down to the individual to control what and how much we eat, but there is truth in the fact that the big food corporations don't care about our health. They'll market anything as healthy just to sell it when it's actually complete synthesised cr*p. Of course you need to take personal resposibility on educating yourself about what's healthy and what's not but it's not made any easier with all the conflicting information out there.
    It's true, they didn't force feed you anything, whatever you ate was your choice… Either way, good to know you started to do your own research. Educate yourself then follow whatever feels right to you! Good luck.

They can market anything as healthy because there are competing philosophies about what's healthy and what isn't. Hence all the "conflicting information." An Atkins follower won't care that Quaker Oats is "heart healthy" and low sodium. A vegetarian won't care that tuna is a low fat source of protein. A vegan won't care that milk is a good source of calcium. And so on.
    And this is why these documentaries stink. They assume a philosophy, and then work off of that as if everyone assumes it, or should assume it, as well. No one's pet food philosophy has the power to dictate health to the rest of us. We shouldn't all be forced to eat gluten-free just because there's a food philosophy trending about it, and we shouldn't deny corporations the right to produce and heavily market gluten free products for those who demand it.
    I'll eat Lucky Charms and McDonald's because my philosophy allows me the freedom to do that. And who is Katie Couric to scold me or anyone else or any corporation for that matter about it just because a sugar-is-da-debbel philosophy doesn't tolerate these sugary foods? Why should government enact policy that would in the end amount to "vice" taxes on foods that, according to some random group of bozo's food and health philosophy, is da debbil?

QFT. I don't want anyone dictating what I can and cannot eat. I can figure that out on my own. So can anyone else who wants to take the time and effort to do it. I don't want to be punished just because some people want to find someone else to blame and won't self-regulate themselves.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have been eating whole foods and cutting down my processed foods...I don't need the sugar and a lot of what is processed is high in calories but lacks nutrients...I want to be healthy not just skinny. You can be skinny and still lack the basic ingredients of health...Our tax dollars in the USA would be better spent subsidizing healthier options instead of crops like GMO Corn...

yea, because when the government gets involved everything gets better. < that was sarcasm in case you missed it...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    csalter61 wrote: »
    Good Luck, I watched it too and it has valid points to make especially about sugar being added to practically all processed foods.

As is salt, fat and an array of artificial and natural flavours so why are we so concerned just about the sugar? To be fair, it's not a bad idea to reduce highly processed and fast food but that doesn't mean you can extrapolate to all foods with sugar in them.

and heaven forbid companies actually make food taste good so people will you know, buy their product...

Of course, they should only make the really healthy stuff taste good and the less healthy stuff should taste like cod liver oil or wet cardboard. After all, they are just in business to make sure we eat properly. <-- sorry can't even type that with a straight face. :flushed:

:laugh:
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

It's interesting what you say about malnutrition in a way. I've watched some of those shows on the super obese that follow them on surgery to lose the weight and often it ends up that these people are also malnourished despite the amount of food they eat and some of them were eating well over 6000 cals per day but it was a very "grey" diet with very little in the way of fruits and vegetables. It's actually kind of scary.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    After all the time Sara dedicated to responding I was hoping for more from SanteMulberry. I'm disappointed. But not really surprised.

I do have other things to do you know--besides participating in the forums. I don't often participate here because it is very time consuming. Why add the "not really surprised"--what is that supposed to mean? I have likely had many more posts than Sara in this thread. What ARE you talking about? Really--many of you here need to learn how to respond to the points that people make without resorting to attacks on the character of the one with whom you disagree. It really gets very tiresome.
    You know what else gets tiresome? You trying to make every thread about smallish aging post-menopausal women, as if you are 90% of the population.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Muffie22 wrote: »
    LOL OK. Well I must be a scientific anomaly having lost 35lbs and still eating ice cream, full-fat dairy, cake, meat, etc etc but at a slight calorific deficit over the course of a year...

You're also 25 years old.

What about MFP user Sarauk2sf? She's in her late 40's and has managed to lose weight and recomp her body while including (in moderation) full fat items like ice cream, dairy and such.

Not everyone can (or will) follow the type of regime that Sarauk follows. I have arthritis and must be very careful as to the type and amount of exercise that I do--but, within that parameter, I have made a drastic change in my health and appearance. :)

LOL. She strength trains 3x a week. That's it. No cardio/nothing else and she has a desk job. How is that different than from what most follow? In fact, it's less than what most people try to do.

A lot of cardio can actually be counter-productive to the aging female body. Cardio is "catabolic"--that is, it tends to be decrease lean body mass. Weight-lifting, on the other hand is "anabolic"--that is, it tends to increase lean body mass. Which one do you think is better for increasing the flagging metabolism of the aging woman? I actually don't do a lot of cardio--just enough to keep my cardiovascular system healthy. She may have a better metabolism than I have to start with--many, many women are not so fortunate. It is estimated that about 40% of post-menopausal women have thyroid problems (as do I).

So first you infer that she has a rigorous training schedule most can or won't do as a reason she's able to be as she is. But now that it is "revealed" she does something that is actually average and doable, it's got to be her "better" metabolism (insinuating that it's something she's always had)???

:laugh:

Okay then.

Was she ever more than 20-30 pounds overweight?

I believe she lost about 40-45 lbs.

I think that some weight-lifters believe that you can lose all the body fat you want to with just weight-lifting alone. I have yet to see that happen with me but I certainly have improved A LOT.

I feel like the two of us are having two different conversations. I definitely was not (in this or any thread) arguing that all you need to lose any amount of body fat is lifting.

I think all that's being pointed out here is that there are certainly women on this site who are in their 40s, were once overweight/obese, exercise moderately, and haven't had the need to cut out food groups in order to lose fat.

My understanding is that certain types of diet are better for people with thyroid issues, but I don't think that necessarily carries over to the rest of the population.

Let's see, I'm in my 40's, have thyroid issues and am diabetic. However, I've lost over 85 pounds, lowered my A1C into the "normal" range and am in the best shape of my life. I still eat everything (in moderation), including ice cream, chocolate and full-fat cheese. Because of the diabetes, I have to limit how many carbs I eat in order to keep my A1C in the normal range, but I still eat them, just in moderation. It would be a sad, sad world if I couldn't have ice cream and pizza once in a while...
  • annehutson2
    Options
    I still eat some processed foods and I enjoy stuff that isn't the healthiest for me. I believe for me that eating more whole foods and as much organic food as possible is best for me. News flash the Government already is involved with processed foods and yeah...they messed it up, but I guess at least it's cheap. I don't have any major health issues yet and I am hoping to avoid them.
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Ok I am going to solve some of the mystery here, as to the original post, and why Katie perhaps? did a documentary on this subject. Also I happen to have this book, yes I bought it and it's a happy happy joy joy book, that if you limit sugar you will be oh so much happier...I want you all to look at who did the preface for this book.
    gu6w34e3tu3z.png

That's right Katie Couric

I think it's all up to us as many of you have said CICO, workout, take care of your body but do it wisely. Also someone asked how are whole foods sugar intense. Dates, figs, dried fruit, raw coconut milk have a high sugar content but I still want them in my diet due to the vitamins and minerals, plus I just like them so I try to adjust my sugar for the day if I drink or eat them. :)
    I concur with several people's posts thank you everyone for exercising my brain, isn't that what we come here for?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    LCloops wrote: »
    Ok I am going to solve some of the mystery here, as to the original post, and why Katie perhaps? did a documentary on this subject. Also I happen to have this book, yes I bought it and it's a happy happy joy joy book, that if you limit sugar you will be oh so much happier...I want you all to look at who did the preface for this book.
    gu6w34e3tu3z.png

I think it's all up to us as many of you have said CICO, workout, take care of your body but do it wisely. Also someone asked how are whole foods sugar intense. Dates, figs, dried fruit, raw coconut milk have a high sugar content but I still want them in my diet due to the vitamins and minerals, plus I just like them so I try to adjust my sugar for the day if I drink or eat them. :)
    I concur with several people's posts thank you everyone for exercising my brain, isn't that what we come here for?

let me get this straight. You are recommending book on kicking "sugar addiction" and then in the same post say that you eat sugar????? Totally legit..

Please look for my book that will be out in the next six months..

How I kicked my crack habit by snorting cocaine
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    This guy wants sugar outlawed, lol. You can have my cookies when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

Well if you keep eating them, your fingers will be cold and dead sooner than you think, since sugar kills people.

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    gu6w34e3tu3z.png

let me get this straight. You are recommending book on kicking "sugar addiction" and then in the same post say that you eat sugar????? Totally legit..

Please look for my book that will be out in the next six months..

How I kicked my crack habit by snorting cocaine

I don't think they were recommending the book, just pointing out why Katie Couric might have gotten involved in the project. But as for your crack book:

9e9.gif
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    YOU got it! show (Katie Couric) the money, and yes I bought into it, and yes my name is loops and I am addicted to sugar... that's why I am limiting it in my diet but you noticed I haven't kicked it all the way to the curb.

I am trying to limit my sugar, and no I don't recommend this book I pretty much made a donation to the author, she has some points I can agree with... but I have not found the book helpful or the recipes that exciting. I think there are better recipes here.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    This guy wants sugar outlawed, lol. You can have my cookies when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

Well if you keep eating them, your fingers will be cold and dead sooner than you think, since sugar kills people.

No it doesn't. Overeating sugar, and pretty much anything else, kills people.

Damn I forgot to turn on the sarcasm font.

• SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    (snip)... Also someone asked how are whole foods sugar intense. Dates, figs, dried fruit, raw coconut milk have a high sugar content but I still want them in my diet due to the vitamins and minerals, plus I just like them so I try to adjust my sugar for the day if I drink or eat them. :)

No, the question was about added sugar. A previous poster had claimed that whole foods were full of added sugar. That was rather baffling.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Also someone asked how are whole foods sugar intense.

No, my question was about the comment that you needed to read the label to see if they contain sugar. A banana has sugar, but there's no label and if there were it wouldn't say "sugar." If I misunderstood your original point, never mind.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I am currently trying to restrict my sugar intake, no health issues just seeing if it will help me get past a plateau I am stuck at. I am limiting any added, blended in foods, processed etc. I eat as healthy as I can which it sounds from this group a lot of us do already. I also workout when I can, at least 4 times a week. Limiting one's sugar intake is challenging, I never drank soda anyways, but I like sweets just as well as the next person. I found it is in almost everything we eat. Processed foods for sure, whole foods you just have to read your labels and know what not to eat and what to eat. ...(snip)

Here's where the question of whole foods came in. Apparently there is a belief that whole foods have labels you could read to discover the sugar content. Or perhaps this is a misunderstanding caused by poor punctuation skills.

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Isn't metabolic syndrome a myth?

No. From the Cleveland Clinic: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Metabolic_Syndrome

But, metabolic syndrome hasn't been proven, has it? It's really just a theory? How do YOU know you have Metabolic Syndrome?

So is the Theory of Relativity but nearly everyone accepts it as truth.

Probably because the general and special theories are testable, and provide consistent results on repetition of those tests.

Metabolic syndrome is just a load of bollocks with no evidence to support it, and a vehicle to sell books to dimwits who prefer complicated lies to simple truths.

Troll on, luv.

I believe that the definition of an internet troll is someone who goes on internet forums and insults and antagonizes other posters. It is not my thing but apparently it is yours.
    You admitted to trolling earlier in this thread when you said how much you enjoy the reaction you get. So, yes, it is your thing.