Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Not eating for pleasure

Replies

• astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    I generally have been eating to fuel my body and to get the most "economy" from my calorie allotment for the day. That said, I enjoy most of the stuff I eat and would eat them even if I weren't trying to lose weight. But the stuff that got me fat, the candy and "junk" (that's what I think of it now) I avoid like the plague. I dunno that I will ever eat that stuff again because if I'm perfectly honest, even though it tasted good, it made me feel like crap. And not because of guilt. But because it make me feel lazy and stuffed and foggy. I can get as much pleasure from a pan-seared fish filet drizzled with herbs, olive oil and lemon as i can from a greasy slice of pizza. Besides, I live in NJ now and it's crap compared to NY pizza! Seriously, I would want to lay down and be lazy if I ate the greasy, fattening thing. That's how I got fat. If I ate the fish I would have energy because it's a light, bright meal.

My love/hate relationsip with food has come to this: I cannot obsess about food any more. Food doesn't make me happy. There is more to life than food. I enjoy a lot of things more than food. So every once in a while I can have a "tasty treat" but for the most part, I'd rather be off doing the things being fat prevented me from doing for the past 2 years.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    sarahb2023 wrote: »
    First of all, it is not just a weight loss forum.
    Plenty of people here gain weight, lose weight and maintain

Sure.
    "Goal: Maintaing Weight" has 143 pages of posts.
    "Goal: Gaining Weight" has 108.

"General Diet and Weight Loss Help" has... 6619 pages.

If you look at the "I'm new here" messages, the common narrative is one of yo-yo dieting, sometimes over decades.

If people stick to steady deficits, they can fix almost any weight problem within a year. But that's not happening for a lot of people.
    Why? I'm new here, but the Thanksgiving threads in combination with the backstories have been pretty illuminating.

I bet it's largely that a lot of people are really, really excited to eat. Unhealthily stoked, you could say. Rabidly enthused. Foodies are food hobbyists, and I think their attitude is often dysfunctional and enabling.

(But not you! You just have refined taste and appreciate the finer things in life. Go you! Mmm-wah!)

your kind of a dick
    you're**

It can, but I think it's sad when people think that because they are dieting it's the only meat they can eat.

Probably because it would drive me crazy, and it's true that others might not mind it so much, but I've seen lots of posts along the lines of "out of chicken breast ideas" and while I have some chicken breast ideas my main idea is "eat some other sort of meat once in a while."

LOL- indeed.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I see both sides to it. This has been an eighteen month long project so far, and it will be a lifetime change. If I hated what I was doing, I'd never last.

Being a long-time diabetic (now in remission) I do treat food as fuel. Very much so. Every meal, every portioning is a calculation. My dad told me very much the same thing; you have to treat it as a sort of medicine. The one time I really suffered was when I was on a dietitian ordered liquid diet (two weeks) that required absolutely no planning. I immediately got a severe migraine not thinking about it.

I like food very much. I approach delicacies with tenderness, and a tablespoon of some rich thing is just enough. So I better make it good and I better make it last.

Mindless eating is pretty much over. I had the munchies last night so I took a cup container and filled it with movie popcorn. Three times. I measured it so I would not mindlessly eat from the bag.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Okay so the "I only eat for fuel" people, I gotta wonder, do you only have sex when you want to procreate, too?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I do choose foods that are good for me, but it's not like I sit on an iron spike and eat raw turnips*, either.

*Extra geek points if you saw what I did there....
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Okay so the "I only eat for fuel" people, I gotta wonder, do you only have sex when you want to procreate, too?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I do choose foods that are good for me, but it's not like I sit on an iron spike and eat raw turnips*, either.

Mario 2? I don't actually buy that there is anyone who isn't choosing fuel with taste somewhat in mind. Maybe something you hate here and there, but always choosing food that doesn't have some pleasantness for you? Yeah, no.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    If I ate for pleasure...my diet would consist of everything chocolate. And ice cream. Caramel too.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    This would never work for me. I have seen people say it, and my dad even says it, but that sort of approach is rare. I just look for ways to get pleasure out of healthier foods. It's usually possible. Little bit of learned preparation technique here and there will get you far.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    These things are not mutually exclusive. Properly prepared chicken breast with the right mix of herbs/spices/salt/fats can taste extremely indulgent. If you become a connoisseur of seasonings, you can make almost anything taste fantastic.

Yep, agreed. Chocolate isn't the only thing that tastes good.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member

Sex doesn't make you fat.

And I enjoy sex much more than food (although these forums suggest I may be unique in that regard).

• KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Why? And how does it work out?

I see quite often people in here stating that they now eat only to fuel their bodies, not for pleasure. Are those the same people who used to be overweight? And eat for pleasure then? How can you just switch? Isn't that a recipe for disaster...? Making it sooo easy to slip back to old habits? I am eating both for health and for pleasure now, trying to be sensible and kind to myself at the same time. I cook most of my meals from scratch, and they all taste delicious. I never eat anything I don't like, but I don't eat everything I like at once either.
    I don't eat for pleasure. That is not to say I don't enjoy eating once in a while. I eat when my blood sugar drops, or I get hungry. Then again, I grew up poor and now I live self sufficiently so food is not a luxury and never has been here. In my house, you eat what you need, no more. There are times the garden does poorly or the meat-raised animals don't grow as fast as you'd like so you have to stretch what you have until everything is straightened back out. Eating is just a necessity, not a hobby or a pastime. It's not supposed to be fun or exciting-it's supposed to keep you from dying.

If that's the case, then I wonder how you put on the extra weight that you've now nearly (congrats!) lost?

Let me say....strawberries and goat-milk cream cheese did VERY well this summer.....
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited December 2014
    sarahb2023 wrote: »
    your kind of a dick
    JoRocka wrote: »
    you're**

Yeah, that's true. Thanks for noticing though; it makes me feel special!
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I also think this is related to a kind of puritan idea that if it's too delicious it must be bad for you (see also descriptions of food as "sinful" or of eating as "being bad").

Great point. You'll see the puritan thing in the endless handwringing over non-sugar sweeteners, for example.

The "sinful", "being bad" - that's like the standard template for high-end chocolate advertising. Female model with a single piece of candy: "Sinfully decadent! Indulge! We won't tell!"

Super-annoying, IMO, because it fetishizes food. It's just food. Eat it or don't. Context is everything. Stop freaking out.
  • NoelFigart1
    Maitria wrote: »

Mario 2?

Not Mario, no. Not a video game at all.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member

Mario 2?

Aw. Realized after I posted that the turnips were for chucking at enemies, not eating.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    I eat things like this for pleasure. It doesn't hurt that they also have lots of protein and few calories.

Cheat-on-Greek-with-Petite-Creme-sweet-fresh-cheese-Stonyfield_strict_xxl.jpg
  • NoelFigart1

Mario 2?

Aw. Realized after I posted that the turnips were for chucking at enemies, not eating.

5642730_std.jpg
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Is that Black Adder?

I didn't get the reference, I just thought to myself well that's one way to up your iron intake.
  • NoelFigart1
    Wicked child!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Eating for pleasure is indulging in rich creamy ice cream, or donuts. Eating for my body is eating baked chicken breast. They are different things to me. I do not eat for pleasure. It is a chore and a task. I don't enjoy anything about it, except, I love being healthy and strong. But, the eating part is not enjoyable.

because you can't have delicious chicken breasts?

why not?
    breasts are always good.

Its boring.

you're making the wrong kind of chickens then my friend!!!

I typically eat very boring meals. Again, eating what I like takes up too many calories, and then I'm into a quality/quantity entanglement. I prefer bulk amounts of food. I can only get that by eating boring bland food.

I've been down this road 20,000 times. It doesn't work. A taste of what I like turns me into a 5,000 calorie a day guy. It's better to dislike my food and just look at it as fuel. I only like really yummy food, that has high sugar content. Otherwise, I don't care that much for it.

Herbs and spices have almost no calories. Feta or goat cheese goes a long way to turning something average into something spectacular. Flavored vinegars are another great option, especially if you boil them down into glazes...think balsamic, apple cider or honey ginger vinegar. They also work great for tenderizing chicken and pork, in addition to adding extra flavor.

Your boring foods can be dressed up to not be boring with minimal calories sacrificed.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    If you cook chicken in white wine vinegar, garlic and chilli it's lovely, and you don't need to use oil, although you can add some olive oil. I roast carrots in a similar way, just without the chilli.

I put balsamic vinegar on salad, I don't bother with salad dressings.

There are plenty of healthy, tasty foods.

I was going to the shop one day and asked my kids what they wanted me to grab for dinner....their answer: chicken and broccoli. They're 5 and 3. Even children can enjoy healthy food.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Finding pleasure in food and enjoyment in eating is not the same thing as using food and eating to pleasure yourself.

There's nothing wrong with sitting down and enjoying a good meal and appreciating the effort that someone put into preparing that meal...the balance of flavors and textures, etc. Sitting down and enjoying a meal and finding pleasure in it is a far cry different than being sad or depressed or whatever...and eating to find some kind of pleasure.

I think this is the core for me. I used to believe I enjoyed eating, but I hated myself for eating the wrong things in wrong amounts. I tried to feel better by eating. But of course it didn't work. Nowadays I truly enjoy what I eat, because it makes me feel good also when I'm finished eating. It's become a quality over quantity sort of thing, and I realize that I don't need those large amounts that I used to eat; it's true, yup, I have more energy when I don't overeat.