Not eating for pleasure

Options

Replies

• LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Okay so the "I only eat for fuel" people, I gotta wonder, do you only have sex when you want to procreate, too?

Sex doesn't make you fat.

And I enjoy sex much more than food (although these forums suggest I may be unique in that regard).

• KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Why? And how does it work out?

I see quite often people in here stating that they now eat only to fuel their bodies, not for pleasure. Are those the same people who used to be overweight? And eat for pleasure then? How can you just switch? Isn't that a recipe for disaster...? Making it sooo easy to slip back to old habits? I am eating both for health and for pleasure now, trying to be sensible and kind to myself at the same time. I cook most of my meals from scratch, and they all taste delicious. I never eat anything I don't like, but I don't eat everything I like at once either.
    I don't eat for pleasure. That is not to say I don't enjoy eating once in a while. I eat when my blood sugar drops, or I get hungry. Then again, I grew up poor and now I live self sufficiently so food is not a luxury and never has been here. In my house, you eat what you need, no more. There are times the garden does poorly or the meat-raised animals don't grow as fast as you'd like so you have to stretch what you have until everything is straightened back out. Eating is just a necessity, not a hobby or a pastime. It's not supposed to be fun or exciting-it's supposed to keep you from dying.

If that's the case, then I wonder how you put on the extra weight that you've now nearly (congrats!) lost?

Let me say....strawberries and goat-milk cream cheese did VERY well this summer.....
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    sarahb2023 wrote: »
    your kind of a dick
    JoRocka wrote: »
    you're**

Yeah, that's true. Thanks for noticing though; it makes me feel special!
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I also think this is related to a kind of puritan idea that if it's too delicious it must be bad for you (see also descriptions of food as "sinful" or of eating as "being bad").

Great point. You'll see the puritan thing in the endless handwringing over non-sugar sweeteners, for example.

The "sinful", "being bad" - that's like the standard template for high-end chocolate advertising. Female model with a single piece of candy: "Sinfully decadent! Indulge! We won't tell!"

Super-annoying, IMO, because it fetishizes food. It's just food. Eat it or don't. Context is everything. Stop freaking out.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Maitria wrote: »
    Okay so the "I only eat for fuel" people, I gotta wonder, do you only have sex when you want to procreate, too?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I do choose foods that are good for me, but it's not like I sit on an iron spike and eat raw turnips*, either.

*Extra geek points if you saw what I did there....

Mario 2?

Not Mario, no. Not a video game at all.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options

I mean, don't get me wrong, I do choose foods that are good for me, but it's not like I sit on an iron spike and eat raw turnips*, either.

Mario 2?

Aw. Realized after I posted that the turnips were for chucking at enemies, not eating.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I eat things like this for pleasure. It doesn't hurt that they also have lots of protein and few calories.

Cheat-on-Greek-with-Petite-Creme-sweet-fresh-cheese-Stonyfield_strict_xxl.jpg
  • NoelFigart1
    Options

Mario 2?

Aw. Realized after I posted that the turnips were for chucking at enemies, not eating.

5642730_std.jpg
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Is that Black Adder?

I didn't get the reference, I just thought to myself well that's one way to up your iron intake.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    Wicked child!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Eating for pleasure is indulging in rich creamy ice cream, or donuts. Eating for my body is eating baked chicken breast. They are different things to me. I do not eat for pleasure. It is a chore and a task. I don't enjoy anything about it, except, I love being healthy and strong. But, the eating part is not enjoyable.

because you can't have delicious chicken breasts?

why not?
    breasts are always good.

Its boring.

you're making the wrong kind of chickens then my friend!!!

I typically eat very boring meals. Again, eating what I like takes up too many calories, and then I'm into a quality/quantity entanglement. I prefer bulk amounts of food. I can only get that by eating boring bland food.

I've been down this road 20,000 times. It doesn't work. A taste of what I like turns me into a 5,000 calorie a day guy. It's better to dislike my food and just look at it as fuel. I only like really yummy food, that has high sugar content. Otherwise, I don't care that much for it.

Herbs and spices have almost no calories. Feta or goat cheese goes a long way to turning something average into something spectacular. Flavored vinegars are another great option, especially if you boil them down into glazes...think balsamic, apple cider or honey ginger vinegar. They also work great for tenderizing chicken and pork, in addition to adding extra flavor.

Your boring foods can be dressed up to not be boring with minimal calories sacrificed.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    If you cook chicken in white wine vinegar, garlic and chilli it's lovely, and you don't need to use oil, although you can add some olive oil. I roast carrots in a similar way, just without the chilli.

I put balsamic vinegar on salad, I don't bother with salad dressings.

There are plenty of healthy, tasty foods.

I was going to the shop one day and asked my kids what they wanted me to grab for dinner....their answer: chicken and broccoli. They're 5 and 3. Even children can enjoy healthy food.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Finding pleasure in food and enjoyment in eating is not the same thing as using food and eating to pleasure yourself.

There's nothing wrong with sitting down and enjoying a good meal and appreciating the effort that someone put into preparing that meal...the balance of flavors and textures, etc. Sitting down and enjoying a meal and finding pleasure in it is a far cry different than being sad or depressed or whatever...and eating to find some kind of pleasure.

I think this is the core for me. I used to believe I enjoyed eating, but I hated myself for eating the wrong things in wrong amounts. I tried to feel better by eating. But of course it didn't work. Nowadays I truly enjoy what I eat, because it makes me feel good also when I'm finished eating. It's become a quality over quantity sort of thing, and I realize that I don't need those large amounts that I used to eat; it's true, yup, I have more energy when I don't overeat.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I don't eat for pleasure, but my reason is because I have an eating disorder that I've had my entire life. It is called ARFID (avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder) and I have a VERY small amount of foods I'll eat. What made me overweight was that I ate sauceless 5 cheese pizza or pepperoni rolls with garlic dipping sauce every single night at work because I work 11pm-7am and the pizza places are the only places open. Since those 2 foods are on my list of safe foods, it was easiest for me. Food causes me extremely bad anxiety and I have major phobias of certain foods, so it is hard for me to eat and if one of my safe foods gets ruined I am done with that food forever. My list has gotten smaller and smaller as I've gotten older.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I eat for pleasure. I love a wonderful roasted chicken rubbed with herbs and roasted vegetables. There are so many ways to make ordinary foods taste good without adding calories. If you never allow for pleasure in food you will fall off the wagon and over eat.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Eating for pleasure is indulging in rich creamy ice cream, or donuts. Eating for my body is eating baked chicken breast. They are different things to me. I do not eat for pleasure. It is a chore and a task. I don't enjoy anything about it, except, I love being healthy and strong. But, the eating part is not enjoyable.

because you can't have delicious chicken breasts?

why not?
    breasts are always good.

Its boring.

you're making the wrong kind of chickens then my friend!!!

I typically eat very boring meals. Again, eating what I like takes up too many calories, and then I'm into a quality/quantity entanglement. I prefer bulk amounts of food. I can only get that by eating boring bland food.

I've been down this road 20,000 times. It doesn't work. A taste of what I like turns me into a 5,000 calorie a day guy. It's better to dislike my food and just look at it as fuel. I only like really yummy food, that has high sugar content. Otherwise, I don't care that much for it.

Herbs and spices have almost no calories. Feta or goat cheese goes a long way to turning something average into something spectacular. Flavored vinegars are another great option, especially if you boil them down into glazes...think balsamic, apple cider or honey ginger vinegar. They also work great for tenderizing chicken and pork, in addition to adding extra flavor.

Your boring foods can be dressed up to not be boring with minimal calories sacrificed.

^^This for sure

• Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Pinkylee77 wrote: »
    I eat for pleasure. I love a wonderful roasted chicken rubbed with herbs and roasted vegetables. There are so many ways to make ordinary foods taste good without adding calories. If you never allow for pleasure in food you will fall off the wagon and over eat.

Agreed, I look forward to eating.

• Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    For me, eating is one of the great pleasures of life. I love food and when i have the time, I love to cook. I also enjoy going out for a meal, with Thai being my favourite. I don't think that I ever consciously think about food as fuel, although I have increased my protein intake since I've been weightlifting.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Why? And how does it work out?

I see quite often people in here stating that they now eat only to fuel their bodies, not for pleasure. Are those the same people who used to be overweight? And eat for pleasure then? How can you just switch? Isn't that a recipe for disaster...? Making it sooo easy to slip back to old habits? I am eating both for health and for pleasure now, trying to be sensible and kind to myself at the same time. I cook most of my meals from scratch, and they all taste delicious. I never eat anything I don't like, but I don't eat everything I like at once either.

I was obese, about 100lbs overweight.
    Food is fuel to me now. It's tasty food, but I've divorced myself from the obsession with taste and the association with emotion. Now food can just be tasty fuel, and not something I'm killing myself with or obsessing over in an unhealthy way. I can enjoy it, eat to satiety, and stop. I can look forward to a meal, enjoy it, and stop eating after the appropriate amount consumed to fuel my body and still lose weight.

It isn't a recipe for disaster at all, if the unhealthy relationship is repaired. It might be just an artificial switch in the beginning, however in my circumstance, I identified and fixed the unhealthy components. Now it is a genuine switch. "Food is fuel" isn't that I don't care about food or don't eat tasty food, it's that I don't care too much, in a twisted emotional way, that causes me to allow food to have an inappropriate power over my life. We're buddies, not co-dependent dysfunctional lovers any longer.

There isn't one type of person. Or one cookie-cutter type of unhealthy relationship with food. And there are people who have never had an unhealthy relationship with food. But some people are still wary of going back in the bad place they were. So they get a little intense about other people indulging, because they don't understand that some people just don't have that issue.
    yeah. i like all this. :smile:

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Why?? OH GOD WHY???