• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Good tips OP. I'll offer one too. Incorporate refeed days. It's been shown to make calories in calories out even more effective with fat loss.

http://suppversity.blogspot.de/2014/11/calorie-shifting-refeeding-for-max-fat.html

Thanks, I found that article very informative. It further justifies my much needed periodic diet breaks!

Not sure how that was so informative but ok.

Not sure how my post was addressing you, but ok.

You posted in a public forum - your post addressed everyone who read it, by definition.

I am aware of where I am posting. His response to my post still had no point.
    It had a point. That you found something that wasn't informative, very informative. Says a lot.

Thank you! I put A LOT of stock in your opinion, obviously. :D
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I know that this topic is covering CICO and I am doing CICO, I am wondering just for learning what is 5-2 or LCHF. Or point somewhere I can read about it..

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Ok no one answered. Sticking with CICO. LOL
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    gia07 wrote: »
    I know that this topic is covering CICO and I am doing CICO, I am wondering just for learning what is 5-2 or LCHF. Or point somewhere I can read about it..

5-2 is intermittent fasting, eating as low as 500 calories some days.
    Low Carb High Fat is just a different way of doing macros but still is under the CICO idea of reducing your intake

I don't know if either would be helpful to you.
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Thanks for your posts. I believe all of this is accurate.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    LMAO Hilarious.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    gia07 wrote: »
    My actual weight is around 108 to 111 lbs. I have been researching and researching and the basic thing is: CALORIES IN AND CALORIES OUT - PERIOD. The less you eat, and the more you move the "skinnier you will be".. Ha.. growing older (age) has her grasp on me like being tied up in chains head to toe. I have measured, weighed, exercised, cook, ... blah blah... and it comes back to this for me... All the online calculators are just wrong for my size, I need so few calories to live and breathe that I may as well just eat dirt on a daily basis.. And just for starters, I can gain two pounds just eating too much salt... yes if I have just eat a tsp of salt I blow up and gain weight as if I had eaten 8000 calories the night before..

It is just sickening to me.. because 10 years ago I weighed 102 lbs and never ever thought about counting anything.. Who knew a big mac had 980 calories? I did not know then but I know now...

So let me get this straight:

The most you seem to have ever weighed is about 115 pounds?

So what you are losing, is for most of us reading the op's post, VANITY pounds.

Ok I can see how knitting or sewing for you would be just sheer stupidity. I get it calories in calories out are important.

But what YOU with your vanity pounds fail to grasp is myself and many, many others here either spent a lifetime FAT or became FAT slowly without intentionally meaning to.

Habits are excessively hard to break. Let me enlighten you to how hard that is, Given that you seem to have never needed to lose triple digit numbers of pounds of fat, ignorance would be bliss and lead to some serious holier than thou attitude.

Ever used food as comfort? Ever had food be your only friend? Your only way to ease stress? Celebrate? Mourn? or show love or worse be shown love?
    No, it would seem not. Your post was condescending and downright ugly in how you responded to the Op genuinely and sincerely posting what helped her/him that the op thought might be useful to someone else.

In my lifetime I have weighed as much as 256 pounds. And as little as 126.

I have personally used most of the things including crocheting, while not the knitting you deride, very close to break my food habits ingrained over a lifetime and not starve, diet pill or resort to other equally unhealthy and down right destructive patterns.

Not only have I weighed 256 once, and lost 106 from that, but I have done it twice.

Habits are hell to break. Since I have been on this site, I have lost about 50-55 pounds, given the time of the month I happen to be at.

I have also kept it off for 2 years and counting.

But you rock on with your vanity pounds and come critique the op if you ever have to lose more than that.

Oh, and crocheting is seriously fun. Give it a try, that stick up your hoohah might be a knitting needle. But you will never know til you retrieve it and find out.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Ah, maybe I'M reading gia wrong but I don't think she was having a go at OP. I thought she was frustrated with CICO at her size (stature) and age.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    But everyone defines "junk" differently, which is where the problem lies with labeling foods as healthy or unhealthy.

True. I used to think I knew what people meant by "junk food," whether I agreed with them or not, and now I increasingly think you have to know the person to know what they mean.

• Helen71017
    Helen71017 Posts: 30 Member
    edited December 2014
    Living with a spouse that does not have to worry about weight gain can be an additional challenge. My husband is 6’4”. He can (and does) eat anything he wants and then complains that he is not gaining weight (but he means specifically muscle weight).

Some painful numbers:
    - My TDEE is about 1780, and his TDEE is about 2740 calories.
    - If I go on a 30minute jog with my husband I burn about 255 calories, and he burns 433 calories for the same effort.

We have come up with some compromises:
    1. He keeps soda in the house but not my favorites flavors. I don’t feel strongly about regular Pepsi but love cherry Pepsi.
    2. He started a candy stash in his nightstand. I am not tempted since it is in his “personal space” and most of the time I forget about it.
    3. I still cook some high calorie entrées like Italian Sausage Lasagna and Cassoulet. I plan for them in my day, but I mostly pack the leftovers in his lunches.
    4. I still cook his favorite desserts like 1000 calorie per slice carrot cake but half of it goes to work the next day. Again moderation for me and only a few days of temptation.
    5. I like cooking food that can be served in a variety of ways. When I make Mediterranean Turkey Burgers (http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mediterranean-turkey-burgers), I cut them into meatball size pieces and serve them with tomato sauce and spaghetti for him. I put mine on lettuce with a greek yogurt based blue cheese dressing. This gives him a high calorie meal, without obligating me to have one.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Helen71017 wrote: »
    Living with a spouse that does not have to worry about weight gain can be an additional challenge. My husband is 6’4”. He can (and does) eat anything he wants and then complains that he is not gaining weight (but he means specifically muscle weight).

Some painful numbers:
    - My basal metabolic rate is about 1780, and his basal metabolic rate is about 2740 calories.
    - If I go on a 30minute jog with my husband I burn about 255 calories, and he burns 433 calories for the same effort.

1. He keeps soda in the house but not my favorites flavors. I don’t feel strongly about regular Pepsi, but love cherry Pepsi.
    2. He has a candy stash in his nightstand. I know about it, but it is easier for me not to be tempted since it is in his “personal space”
    3. I still cook some high calorie entrées like Italian Sausage Lasagna and Cassoulet. I plan for them in my day, but I mostly pack the leftovers in his lunches.
    4. I still cook his favorite desserts like 1000 calorie per slice Carrot Cake but half of it goes to work the next day. Again moderation for me and only a few days of temptation.
    5. I like cooking food that can be served in a variety of ways. When I make Mediterranean Turkey Burgers (http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mediterranean-turkey-burgers), I cut them into meatball size pieces and serve them with tomato sauce and spaghetti for him. I put mine on lettuce with a greek yogurt based blue cheese dressing. This gives him a high calorie meal, without obligating me to have one.

Love how you handle food in your home.

However, keep in mind that hubby doesn't gain weight because he eats at maintenance level. If he didn't, he would either lose or gain weight. Also, he could be one of those normal folks, for lack of a better phrase, who intuitively knows when to stop eating, therefore to the rest of the world it look like he can eat however much he wants a not gain. But, if he ate over his TDEE, he would gain weight like anyone else.

BMR is the amount of calories that it takes to sustain you if you were in a coma. Your TDEE is what's important because if you eat over this amount, you will gain weight. Since your numbers sound a bit high, did you mean TDEE and not BMR?

I understand on the calorie burns. The bigger a person is, the more they burn and the more calories they are allowed to eat. Guys usually get to burn more calories than us gals. Lucky them! :D
  • Helen71017
    Helen71017 Posts: 30 Member
    edited December 2014
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Some painful numbers:
    - My basal metabolic rate is about 1780, and his basal metabolic rate is about 2740 calories.

1. He keeps soda in the house but not my favorites flavors. I don’t feel strongly about regular Pepsi, but love cherry Pepsi.
    2. He has a candy stash in his nightstand. I know about it, but it is easier for me not to be tempted since it is in his “personal space”
    4. I still cook his favorite desserts like 1000 calorie per slice Carrot Cake but half of it goes to work the next day. Again moderation for me and only a few days of temptation.

Love how you handle food in your home.

However, keep in mind that hubby doesn't gain weight because he eats at maintenance level. If he didn't, he would either lose or gain weight. Also, he could be one of those normal folks, for lack of a better phrase, who intuitively knows when to stop eating, therefore to the rest of the world it look like he can eat however much he wants a not gain. But, if he ate over his TDEE, he would gain weight like anyone else.

BMR is the amount of calories that it takes to sustain you if you were in a coma. Your TDEE is what's important because if you eat over this amount, you will gain weight. Since your numbers sound a bit high, did you mean TDEE and not BMR?

I understand on the calorie burns. The bigger a person is, the more they burn and the more calories they are allowed to eat. Guys usually get to burn more calories than us gals. Lucky them! :D

You are right, that's probably approximate TDEE. I used a website calculator that said it compensated for activity to calculate BMR. I fixed my post.
  • fabulousmomma
    fabulousmomma Posts: 172 Member
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I see lots of posts debating the calories in versus calories out concept. Although it is an important fundamental principle for weight loss, it is also a gross oversimplification of the challenges one faces to achieve lasting weight loss.

No it isn't. Keep your calories lower than your requirements and don't make excuses.

What you're offering is a list of things that work for you. These may not be the case for everyone.

Exactly, short and simple and so true!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited December 2014
    SLLRunner wrote: »

This.

Also important to mention is that those "naturally slim" people who seem to "eat all they want" and "never gain weight", actually often times do. It's just that two - five pounds on a lean person, especially a man, is often going to go unnoticed, sometimes even by the person themselves. Especially if they're genetically predisposed to gaining weight more evenly throughout their bodies.

And the notion was just reiterated to me yesterday. One of my best friends is a very lean man of 22 (just turned 5 days ago). Everyone always talks about how he eats so much food, yet is lucky to never gain weight. Yet while at rehearsal with his wife recently, she mentioned that he's formed a little bit of pudge on his stomach that he's complaining about. Now his idea of pudge is significantly lesser than a person who has dealt with more serious weight gain; anything that remotely gets in the way of his visible six pack is an issue for him. He visually doesn't look to have gained any weight from the outsider's perspective, and probably even with his shirt off most people wouldn't be able to tell. But still, he notices weight there.

I've got a few friends like that. Lean people, who've never had a weight problem before, who do gain weight here and there, but most people would never be able to tell. They just bounce back in forth in a range that leaves the appearance that even when they over consume, the calories just magically burn off without affecting weight.

And I've also seen that seriously catch up with some of those same kinds of people when, eventually, their consumption just started regularly overtaking their TDEE. And, with all people, major fat gain ensued.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Some painful numbers:
    - My TDEE is about 1780, and his TDEE is about 2740 calories.

Yep, it's sometimes painful to have to be realistic about this.

I never thought I ate all that much (although sometimes I did, and thinking about my diet at its worst there were plenty of places where I ended up with far more calories than satisfaction), but these are some key numbers for me:

2000-2200 (my estimated TDEE at my current weight and around the time I started gaining, when I'm as active as I like to be)

1550 (my estimated TDEE at the same weight and body fat percentage when I'm completely sedentary)

1875 (my estimated TDEE when sedentary at my fattest)

For various reasons around 5-6 years ago I went from being quite active to being sedentary, and--hardly shocking--started gaining weight pretty rapidly. I didn't think I was eating all that much. Looking at these numbers (and this should have been pretty obvious) I probably wasn't. Except, of course, compared to the key thing--my own maintenance.

Thus, although I agree with the conventional wisdom that it's easier to deal with losing weight from a dietary perspective, this is why activity and making sure it's a natural part of my life is a huge part of it for me. And if for some reason it can't be, I absolutely cannot eat as if it is.