Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Vitaphobia wrote: »
    I am not a dietitian but I've heard of diet sodas being worse for you than regular soda. something about the type of sugar increases the chance of binges.
    No, that's silly. :)

Do you have science to back up your personal opinion?
    Nope, except countless people, including me, have drank/do drink diet sodas without binges. Some people who do binge don't drink diet soda.
  • ktm96
    ktm96 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    sorry guys.....didnt wanna sound like an idiot......just looking for some helpful advice. Weight loss isnt the easiest thing to get done.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Anyone care to join me?
    4oemio4qmdkv.jpg

NO! looks like that would hurt.

Not nearly as bad as reading some of this *kitten* tonight. LOL
    I keep hearing Fight Club in my head. "You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake..."
    We are ALL beautiful or unique snowflakes.....

e2b0a829179009e338a65715fb87cafde28338c22ba8b25143d230e4c5e38ca4.jpg

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    ktm96 wrote: »
    sorry guys.....didnt wanna sound like an idiot......just looking for some helpful advice. Weight loss isnt the easiest thing to get done.

Don't apologize since you didn't do anything but ask an honest question. MFP tends to be a place that picks up a lot of yarns from post to post so it really isn't something you could have reasonably predicted.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I am not a dietitian but I've heard of diet sodas being worse for you than regular soda. something about the type of sugar increases the chance of binges.

Nope, except countless people, including me. have drank diet sodas without binges. Some people who do binge don't drink diet soda.

That is fine. We all a right to our personal opinions.

• Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options

It ain't you, babe. You keep on - educate yourself and learn the facts about nutrition. It's just the season of the woo, evidently. Either that or I'm hangry and going into starvation mode or something. ;-)
  • ktm96
    ktm96 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    yeah i gotcha ,i guess ill keep on with the 1200/day. maybe ill just choose healthier foods but i know its just all about calories in/calories out. man this is frustrating. just gotta keep carrying on.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited December 2014
    Options

ktm96 you do not sound like an idiot and weight loss is hard for most of us.

Yes, the science seems to indicate man made sweeteners can screw up dieting by screwing with the brain. I posted a link in another thread. Sorry for all the BS (bad science) or even no science personal opinions posted in response to your valid question. One of them I found an posted below. You will read in part:

But do artificial sweeteners actually help reduce weight?

Surprisingly, epidemiologic data suggest the contrary. Several large scale prospective cohort studies found positive correlation between artificial sweetener use and weight gain.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

Gain weight by “going diet?” Artificial sweeteners and the neurobiology of sugar cravings
    Neuroscience 2010
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Science is gradually showing that artificial sweeteners have an impact on bacteria in the gut which affects metabolism. I don't drink "diet" anything and advise folks to curtail use of artificial sweeteners for optimal health. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140917131634.htm
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    yeah i gotcha ,i guess ill keep on with the 1200/day. maybe ill just choose healthier foods but i know its just all about calories in/calories out. man this is frustrating. just gotta keep carrying on.

If it was easy, everyone would be thin and svelte and MFP wouldn't need to exist. Give it time. Make sure your macros are good and be patient with it. The initial loss is always so encouraging, then it settles into the routine and never seems to move fast enough.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Ignore this poster, a steve089 alter ego. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    Science is gradually showing that artificial sweeteners have an impact on bacteria in the gut which affects metabolism. I don't drink "diet" anything and advise folks to curtail use of artificial sweeteners for optimal health. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140917131634.htm

Maxit that is an awesome article link you posted. I make it a hyperlink below. It seems a direct link between artificial sweeteners and getting Type 2 Diabetes is real.

sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140917131634.htm

"The findings showed that many -- but not all -- of the volunteers had begun to develop glucose intolerance after just one week of artificial sweetener consumption. The composition of their gut microbiota explained the difference: the researchers discovered two different populations of human gut bacteria -- one that induced glucose intolerance when exposed to the sweeteners, and one that had no effect either way. Dr. Elinav believes that certain bacteria in the guts of those who developed glucose intolerance reacted to the chemical sweeteners by secreting substances that then provoked an inflammatory response similar to sugar overdose, promoting changes in the body's ability to utilize sugar."

Another reference article mentioned is below. You will see a summary and 14 charts free so open the link if you wish. To read the full research is $32.

nature.com/nature/journal/v514/n7521/full/nature13793.html

"Non-caloric artificial sweeteners (NAS) are among the most widely used food additives worldwide, regularly consumed by lean and obese individuals alike. NAS consumption is considered safe and beneficial owing to their low caloric content, yet supporting scientific data remain sparse and controversial. Here we demonstrate that consumption of commonly used NAS formulations drives the development of glucose intolerance through induction of compositional and functional alterations to the intestinal microbiota."

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Maxit that is an awesome article link you posted. I make it a hyperlink below. It seems a direct link between artificial sweeteners and getting Type 2 Diabetes is real.

"The findings showed that many -- but not all -- of the volunteers had begun to develop glucose intolerance after just one week of artificial sweetener consumption. The composition of their gut microbiota explained the difference: the researchers discovered two different populations of human gut bacteria -- one that induced glucose intolerance when exposed to the sweeteners, and one that had no effect either way. Dr. Elinav believes that certain bacteria in the guts of those who developed glucose intolerance reacted to the chemical sweeteners by secreting substances that then provoked an inflammatory response similar to sugar overdose, promoting changes in the body's ability to utilize sugar."

Another reference article mentioned is below. You will see a summary and 14 charts free so open the link if you wish. To read the full research is $32.

"Non-caloric artificial sweeteners (NAS) are among the most widely used food additives worldwide, regularly consumed by lean and obese individuals alike. NAS consumption is considered safe and beneficial owing to their low caloric content, yet supporting scientific data remain sparse and controversial. Here we demonstrate that consumption of commonly used NAS formulations drives the development of glucose intolerance through induction of compositional and functional alterations to the intestinal microbiota."

How many of those big words do you understand? And seriously, diet soda in itself does not cause weight gain. Is it possible that you binge with diet soda? Sure, but it is the extra calories NOT the diet soda that causes the weight gain.

How many times to people have to tell you the same thing? Besides... Why would you be looking up diet soda research. It has more than 3 ingredients so to wouldnt drink it anyway.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sometimes when ppl switch to diet they get a little loosey goosey with the rest of their eating, make sure u dont do that. Really though you're only talking about a few pounds...the amount a person can fluctuate from normal daily stuff. Weigh at the same time and give yourself some more time.

I lost 51 lbs while drinking diet soda, its not that.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas are terrible for you. Yes, many women in my family cannot lose weight if drinking them. All of us are off diet sodas and losing. The chemicals in them are detrimental to everyone's health and weight loss to many.

Nice first post, welcome to the site, yer gonna have a BLAST!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Only going to say my personal opinion. We all have one right. So .. first, diet sodas .. will they mess up your weight loss. Doubtful. Are they healthy for you. Doubtful. Is weight loss linear and you will lose the same amount every week doing the exact same thing. Doubtful. The answer .. accurately count your calories in and out. Eat in a deficit and get some exercise to be fit .. and you will be good. So .. time to just move on. If you want to drink them .. your business. Me .. seldom, as I do not want to undertake the bad habits that got me to this site.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

How many of those big words do you understand? And seriously, diet soda in itself does not cause weight gain. Is it possible that you binge with diet soda? Sure, but it is the extra calories NOT the diet soda that causes the weight gain.

How many times to people have to tell you the same thing? Besides... Why would you be looking up diet soda research. It has more than 3 ingredients so to wouldnt drink it anyway.

elphie754 I really do not understand your demeanor. I am staying up late delaying my evening walk to try to answer a young person's serious question about diet drink impact on her diet.

The articles that I can not read and comprehend I do not post which are many even after 12 years of butt in chair schooling since graduating from high school. Since we know artificial sweeteners can harm/kill the millions of critters living in our guts that helps us digest our food why do you think that could not impact weight gain or loss?

What are you talking about when you ask, "How many times to people have to tell you the same thing?

Did you get the message from the article that drinking diet drinks is expected to be a cause of Type 2 diabetes?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It must be something else then......it just I've been on a 1200 calorie diet for the past 3 weeks-and yes, i weigh my food, and I started at 132....then down to 127.....now I've been at 130 for the past week.....its just really annoying. I SHOULD be at 126 right now but I'm 130.......what can I do? I just started playing ice hockey.....maybe I'm gaining muscle in my legs? Idk though because I only play for about 20 minutes total a game and one game per week for the last month. I skate really hard and fast though and I'm tired in my legs afterward and the day after......still though.......I should be losing SOME fat.

It's not the diet soda. Weight loss is not linear. You have not gained any appreciable muscle, if any, by playing ice hockey. You may well be retaining water in the muscle though if this is a new type of activity for you - which will be masking any loss.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Diet sodas are terrible for you. Yes, many women in my family cannot lose weight if drinking them. All of us are off diet sodas and losing. The chemicals in them are detrimental to everyone's health and weight loss to many.

Which chemicals are harmful and/or stop weight loss and what do they do to you exactly?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Good article you posted above IILikeToMoveIt

Gain weight by “going diet?” Artificial sweeteners and the neurobiology of sugar cravings
    Neuroscience 2010

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

How is this relevant to the OP?