diet (soda) pop hindered weight loss

Options

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    lillisag wrote: »
    If you are drinking diet soda that is not Sodium free - Many brand are very high in salt. So, the excess salt intake will cause water weight gain. Try sodium free diet drinks.

Exactly what brands of diet soda are high in sodium?
    Because every brand I drink says "very low sodium food" right on the can/bottle.

Also, OP, you've got 5lbs left to lose, it's gonna be slow going and you probably still have yourself set at 2lb/week anyway. 1200 calories is too low.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    ktm96 wrote: »
    It must be something else then......it just I've been on a 1200 calorie diet for the past 3 weeks-and yes, i weigh my food, and I started at 132....then down to 127.....now I've been at 130 for the past week.....its just really annoying. I SHOULD be at 126 right now but I'm 130.......what can I do? I just started playing ice hockey.....maybe I'm gaining muscle in my legs? Idk though because I only play for about 20 minutes total a game and one game per week for the last month. I skate really hard and fast though and I'm tired in my legs afterward and the day after......still though.......I should be losing SOME fat.

It's not the diet soda. Weight loss is not linear. You have not gained any appreciable muscle, if any, by playing ice hockey. You may well be retaining water in the muscle though if this is a new type of activity for you - which will be masking any loss.

I don't know who flagged this entirely useful and neutral post, but I'm just going to drop off this link to the explanation of when and how to use the flagging system in case someone needs to review it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10019264/flagged-content-reported-posts-warning-points

• AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I don't believe a word of this... diet soda does NOT keep you from losing weight - however OVEREATING will!
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @Sarauk2sf
    "How is this relevant to the OP?"

If you read the article in the link, it states the artificial sweeteners inhibit weight loss. Since the OP has started drinking diet soda and is no longer losing weight, I would say there is relevancy.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas are terrible for you. Yes, many women in my family cannot lose weight if drinking them. All of us are off diet sodas and losing. The chemicals in them are detrimental to everyone's health and weight loss to many.

Ridiculous!!!!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    maxit wrote: »
    Science is gradually showing that artificial sweeteners have an impact on bacteria in the gut which affects metabolism. I don't drink "diet" anything and advise folks to curtail use of artificial sweeteners for optimal health. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140917131634.htm

Maxit that is an awesome article link you posted. I make it a hyperlink below. It seems a direct link between artificial sweeteners and getting Type 2 Diabetes is real.

sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140917131634.htm

"The findings showed that many -- but not all -- of the volunteers had begun to develop glucose intolerance after just one week of artificial sweetener consumption. The composition of their gut microbiota explained the difference: the researchers discovered two different populations of human gut bacteria -- one that induced glucose intolerance when exposed to the sweeteners, and one that had no effect either way. Dr. Elinav believes that certain bacteria in the guts of those who developed glucose intolerance reacted to the chemical sweeteners by secreting substances that then provoked an inflammatory response similar to sugar overdose, promoting changes in the body's ability to utilize sugar."

Another reference article mentioned is below. You will see a summary and 14 charts free so open the link if you wish. To read the full research is $32.

nature.com/nature/journal/v514/n7521/full/nature13793.html

"Non-caloric artificial sweeteners (NAS) are among the most widely used food additives worldwide, regularly consumed by lean and obese individuals alike. NAS consumption is considered safe and beneficial owing to their low caloric content, yet supporting scientific data remain sparse and controversial. Here we demonstrate that consumption of commonly used NAS formulations drives the development of glucose intolerance through induction of compositional and functional alterations to the intestinal microbiota."

How many of those big words do you understand? And seriously, diet soda in itself does not cause weight gain. Is it possible that you binge with diet soda? Sure, but it is the extra calories NOT the diet soda that causes the weight gain.

How many times to people have to tell you the same thing? Besides... Why would you be looking up diet soda research. It has more than 3 ingredients so to wouldnt drink it anyway.

elphie754 I really do not understand your demeanor. I am staying up late delaying my evening walk to try to answer a young person's serious question about diet drink impact on her diet.

The articles that I can not read and comprehend I do not post which are many even after 12 years of butt in chair schooling since graduating from high school. Since we know artificial sweeteners can harm/kill the millions of critters living in our guts that helps us digest our food why do you think that could not impact weight gain or loss?

What are you talking about when you ask, "How many times to people have to tell you the same thing?

Did you get the message from the article that drinking diet drinks is expected to be a cause of Type 2 diabetes?

Critters?!? If you have critters living in you, you should see a doctor. Do you mean digestive microorganisms? Those are single cell organism not "critters". You show in pretty much every post that you really don't have much of a grasp for science. You stated before that your digestive microorganisms may be different from others. That's not how it works. If they are "different" it is due to illness.

Your body CANNOT create calories where calories do not exist. It is scientifically impossible. If you are not losing weight while drinking diet soda it is because you are eating too much.

And yes, you argue the same nonsense all the time. You even came to my board about water intake, to tell me to detox and not eat carbs. I quickly showed you the door because that was not in any way relevant to my question.

Gale Hawkins blocked me and I've never interacted with him. He seems to like the "plug your ears and sing" approach to dealing with information that doesn't conform to his personal opinions. Seems not worth the time engaging with him.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Anyone care to join me?
    4oemio4qmdkv.jpg

LOL!!
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Not an issue with me - although I don't drink near as much as I used to.

20757594.png
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Butrovich wrote: »
    @Sarauk2sf

If you read the article in the link, it states the artificial sweeteners inhibit weight loss. Since the OP has started drinking diet soda and is no longer losing weight, I would say there is relevancy.

I did read the link. It does not show or imply a causal effect. OP is tracking her calories. Again I ask, how is this link relevant?. Also, see my response to the answer Gale gave (much the same as yours).

Did you also note the length of time of the stall?
    Did you also note that the OP had increased their activity?

Context.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »

Gale Hawkins blocked me and I've never interacted with him. He seems to like the "plug your ears and sing" approach to dealing with information that doesn't conform to his personal opinions. Seems not worth the time engaging with him.

How do you block someone on this site? Why would I block you?

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Butrovich wrote: »
    @Sarauk2sf

I did read the link. It does not show or imply a causal effect. OP is tracking her calories. Again I ask, how is this link relevant?. Also, see my response to the answer Gale gave (much the same as yours).

Did you also note the length of time of the stall?
    Did you also note that the OP had increased their activity?

Context.

Butrovich it seems the issue is Sarauk2sf does not like science that overwrites her personal opinions.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My registered Dietitian told me I can keep drinking it, and so far I've lost 59 pounds and I drink one average at least 1-2 a day. Tell me again how something with no calories is ruining my weight loss? It is something else that is the problem, probably not logging foods accurately.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Research suggests that the artificial sweeteners in diet soda or in ANYTHING fools your body into thinking you are going to be getting real sugar when that artificial sweetener is consumed. When this happens, your body produces an insulin response. The release of insulin causes existing blood sugars circulating in your body to be stored in fat cells in preparation for what it thinks is more real sugar energy coming in. If you consume artificial sweeteners, your body will eventually lose its natural ability to to respond to real sugar, which is the ability to eat less at the next meal and use or burn the sugar energy circulating in your blood from the previous meal. Therefore, you may have trouble loosing or gain weight as a result because your body will want to store more of your blood sugars in fat cells. What’s a girl to do? You want your sweets and artificial sweeteners seem like a great solution, right? My answer is this: eliminate ALL artificial sweeteners from your diet as best you can and DO NOT choose them. Wean yourself of refined sugar cravings by eating foods that contain naturally occurring sugars, i.e. whole fruits. And most importantly, drink a minimum of eight 8 ounce glasses of water every day. Many people confuse thirst with hunger. And lastly, those multiple chemicals can harm you. They are not natural and the diet industry in my humble layman's opinion just wants your money. Anything worth having takes work to accomplish. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Do the work. Have a great day and good luck with your journey:)
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Did the weight gain/plateau come after you started playing hockey? It sounds like you may be storing more glycogen and mitochondrial fluid in your muscles. It's not fat, just extra fluids.

If I haven't been exercising and I start doing weights or very high-intensity cardio I gain between three and 7 pounds in the first two weeks. Then it levels off and I start losing from the calorie expenditure.

Give it another week or two before you start to worry.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    exstromn wrote: »
    Good morning! Research suggests that the artificial sweeteners in diet soda or in ANYTHING fools your body into thinking you are going to be getting real sugar when that artificial sweetener is consumed. When this happens, your body produces an insulin response. The release of insulin causes existing blood sugars circulating in your body to be stored in fat cells in preparation for what it thinks is more real sugar energy coming in. If you consume artificial sweeteners, your body will eventually lose its natural ability to to respond to real sugar, which is the ability to eat less at the next meal and use or burn the sugar energy circulating in your blood from the previous meal. Therefore, you may have trouble loosing or gain weight as a result because your body will want to store more of your blood sugars in fat cells. What’s a girl to do? You want your sweets and artificial sweeteners seem like a great solution, right? My answer is this: eliminate ALL artificial sweeteners from your diet as best you can and DO NOT choose them. Wean yourself of refined sugar cravings by eating foods that contain naturally occurring sugars, i.e. whole fruits. And most importantly, drink a minimum of eight 8 ounce glasses of water every day. Many people confuse thirst with hunger. And lastly, those multiple chemicals can harm you. They are not natural and the diet industry in my humble layman's opinion just wants your money. Anything worth having takes work to accomplish. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Do the work. Have a great day and good luck with your journey:)

Please cite where you are getting all this from. This is basically contrary to what I have seen...for basically every point you have made.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    What's with the weird post at the bottom of this thread? I can't read it, quote it, flag it, or report it but it's always there.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    What's with the weird post at the bottom of this thread? I can't read it, quote it, flag it, or report it but it's always there.

It happened last week in that gym selfie thread.
    I think it's a post from someone who has had their posting privileges taken away
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I am pretty sure it is Gale Hawkins trying to post. For whatever reason he looks like he has his posting privileges revoked - either temporarily or permanently.

I have seen it before in another thread where the OP was banned from posting.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Did the weight gain/plateau come after you started playing hockey? It sounds like you may be storing more glycogen and mitochondrial fluid in your muscles. It's not fat, just extra fluids.

If I haven't been exercising and I start doing weights or very high-intensity cardio I gain between three and 7 pounds in the first two weeks. Then it levels off and I start losing from the calorie expenditure.

Give it another week or two before you start to worry.

Yep. I posted this earlier but it got lost in all the 'diet soda will make you gain weight' palava. Sometimes its a simple answer and this is the most likely one. The OP has only been stalled a week.