diet (soda) pop hindered weight loss

Options
Ever since I've added diet pop to my diet I have not been able to lose weight-I have been at a 1200 calorie diet, and am strictly counting everything, there is no way possible i am going over my calorie intake. Anyone experience hindered weight loss when they added diet pop to their diets?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking diet soda every other day, and I'm still losing weight.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ktm96 wrote: »
    Ever since I've added diet pop to my diet I have not been able to lose weight-I have been at a 1200 calorie diet, and am strictly counting everything, there is no way possible i am going over my calorie intake. Anyone experience hindered weight loss when they added diet pop to their diets?

Do you weigh your food?
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I drank diet drinks while successfully loosing weight, wasn't an issue for me..
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess you are not logging food correctly. And I do hope you are actually at least 18, if not then head on over to spark-teens.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Was never an issue for me.

Are you weighing your food on a food scale? If not, you could be eating more calories than you think.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

No, and there's no logical reason I can think of why adding zero calorie soda would make a difference. Usually the argument is that it makes you crave more food and so eat more. My guess is you are eating more than you think or perhaps you are already quite thin.

However, if you think it might be the soda it seems easy enough to test it. Drop the soda. You seem to say you added it in since you've been doing 1200, so presumably it wouldn't be too hard not to drink it.

I've lost lots of weight drinking it off and on (and other no calorie flavored waters and diet ginger ale and Zevia and so on) along with water, coffee, and tea. Seems to make no difference to me.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I've never had a problem losing while drinking diet soda. Can I ask how long it's been since you added the diet soda? It's possible that you're seeing a stall for other reasons (water weight from stress, hormones, TOM, exercise, sodium, etc.)

• UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I drink an ungodly amount of diet soda. My dentist would love me if I quit. Bad for my teeth, but hasn't hindered my weight loss one bit - 82 pounds down in a year and counting.
  • Juju1970
    Juju1970 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sodium and water retention? Are you drinking no sodium diet soda?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I'm going to guess you are not logging food correctly. And I do hope you are actually at least 18, if not then head on over to spark-teens.

Exactly. Why would something that has minimal calories cause a problem? It's because you're probably eating more than you think.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Juju1970 wrote: »
    Sodium and water retention? Are you drinking no sodium diet soda?

There is almost no sodium in a can of diet soda. It will average around 24 mg in a 12 oz can of a typical diet cola. Some fruity sodas might be up to 70. Compared to other foods, that is negligible. An egg has 70 mg, 1/2 c of plain Greek yogurt has 55 mg, 3 oz of bell pepper has 35 mg, etc.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any issue with diet drinks and weight loss. I don't believe they hinder it but if you aren't happy with them then by all means just cut them and see what happens.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    There is no way, scientifically and mathematically, that you can be not losing while at a calorie deficit. The soda does not factor in. The only alternative, then, is simply that you are eating more than you think. Take a week in which you weigh EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth, even condiments and garnishes, with a food scale, in grams so you have the most accurate reading possible. You will be completely floored at how much more you're eating than you think you are, I guarantee it.
  • Vitaphobia
    Options
    I am not a dietitian but I've heard of diet sodas being worse for you than regular soda. something about the type of sugar increases the chance of binges.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Good article you posted above IILikeToMoveIt

Gain weight by “going diet?” Artificial sweeteners and the neurobiology of sugar cravings
    Neuroscience 2010

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

• ktm96
    ktm96 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It must be something else then......it just I've been on a 1200 calorie diet for the past 3 weeks-and yes, i weigh my food, and I started at 132....then down to 127.....now I've been at 130 for the past week.....its just really annoying. I SHOULD be at 126 right now but I'm 130.......what can I do? I just started playing ice hockey.....maybe I'm gaining muscle in my legs? Idk though because I only play for about 20 minutes total a game and one game per week for the last month. I skate really hard and fast though and I'm tired in my legs afterward and the day after......still though.......I should be losing SOME fat.